Steam and direct download sales Page 579

  • Page

    of 677 First / Last

  • Deleted user 8 August 2013 20:58:11
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Amazon.co.uk have opened up a Games Download section, which is nice. Strange - it says at the top of the page "Digital Games - beta", but I could have sworn they'd been selling digital games in boxes for years and years!
    Surely if you're the only one that actually understands it to mean that. And more importantly, cares. It is time to accept that you're wrong and the definition has changed.
  • Rusty_M 8 Aug 2013 21:42:45 4,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nooo PJ! Don't give up!
    Do not go gentle into that good night
    Rage, rage against the ambiguity of the word "digital"

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

  • PenguinJim 9 Aug 2013 00:10:17 5,834 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Amazon.co.uk have opened up a Games Download section, which is nice. Strange - it says at the top of the page "Digital Games - beta", but I could have sworn they'd been selling digital games in boxes for years and years!
    Surely if you're the only one that actually understands it to mean that. And more importantly, cares. It is time to accept that you're wrong and the definition has changed.
    I'm actually more concerned about the strange new ways that. Full stops are used. Nowadays.
  • M83J01P97 9 Aug 2013 17:25:33 6,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what is the deal with Planetary Annihilation? 52.99 for the game... am I missing something that doesn't seem to be detailed in the description? Because it certainly doesn't look any different from all the other strategy games on Steam right now.

    I know it's early access and all that, but 52.99... really?

    Edited by M83J01P97 at 17:25:58 09-08-2013
  • spamdangled 9 Aug 2013 17:43:35 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @M83J01P97

    They're one of those developers thinking that people should pay them for alpha and beta testing, instead of the other way around.

    You're basically paying extra to be a bug tester.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • neilka 9 Aug 2013 17:59:16 15,849 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a 521 page thread about it on Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/864970587226651407/

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • M83J01P97 9 Aug 2013 18:00:59 6,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm surprised Steam allow it to be honest, considering some of the other early access games are dirt cheap and look just as polished and playable as Planetary Annihilation.
  • Metalfish 9 Aug 2013 18:40:05 8,818 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    There's a 521 page thread about it on Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/864970587226651407/
    Oh god, the sense of entitlement in there is positively radioactive. We're talking about a videogame here. It's not like these people shout and scream when they see a steinway piano or Louis Vitton handbag. Some stuff is intentionally massively more expensive than it needs to be -this shouldn't surprise anyone.
  • cubbymoore 9 Aug 2013 18:52:34 36,487 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't it deliberately prohibitive pricing? So that they get people who really want to put some time in.
  • Sharzam 9 Aug 2013 18:56:48 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It might sound a bit whiny but i think the people have a point. Charging more than final complete product is a bit odd. While yes it is normal for prices to start high and to fall in time for physical goods, but when something isn't complete why more?

    Personally i wouldnt mind a good old robot sci-fi RTS like the good old days of RTS. But no way in hell am i paying more than i would pay for a full on AAA game. Using Kickstarter to gauge pricing in stores (remember steam is a shop first ) is a really bad idea simply because it is a different market. People that pledge on Kickstarter are doing so to help a game get made that wouldn't otherwise and is something they believe in, donating however much they feel comfortable with.

    Edited by Sharzam at 18:59:53 09-08-2013

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • Metalfish 9 Aug 2013 19:03:52 8,818 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, but you're effectively ripping off those same kickstarter dudes who stumped up the early cash -that's the only reason for the high price. I have precisely zero problem with this situation.
  • spamdangled 9 Aug 2013 19:07:54 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Yeah, but you're effectively ripping off those same kickstarter dudes who stumped up the early cash -that's the only reason for the high price. I have precisely zero problem with this situation.
    Why? The higher prices on Kickstarter made sense at the time, as they needed money for development. They got all the money they needed.

    So now, a year later, why are they still charging the same amount? They don't need all that money, and I doubt most people care about getting a digital artbook and other tat. So why not offer just a basic pre-purchase of the game, and alpha and beta access without all the digital tat at a lower price?

    It's just blatant profiteering for the sake of it.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 9 August 2013 19:11:42
    Profiteering? By a business? The very nerve of it.
  • cubbymoore 9 Aug 2013 19:13:23 36,487 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That there be commie talk dm.
  • caligari 9 Aug 2013 21:51:07 17,024 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just seen that Steam have The Swapper on sale for 5.99.

    I've got so much to play through at the mo, but this game looks brilliant - please, talk me out of a purchase.
  • ecureuil 9 Aug 2013 22:01:14 76,729 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People yet again struggling to understand they don't HAVE to buy a game.
  • fletch7100 9 Aug 2013 22:04:23 7,227 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After buying loads in the steam sale , finally got a new PC and started on the games backlog. Enjoying Dishonored so far
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Aug 2013 22:12:44 2,566 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Farming Sim 2013 is a tenner on Gamefly. I've not yet spent that much time on it due to backlog but it's quite a fun sim.

    http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Farming-Simulator-2013/5004870/

    Of course no FS mention goes without this :)

    That video is one of the best things on the whole internet.
  • caligari 9 Aug 2013 22:17:34 17,024 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    People yet again struggling to understand they don't HAVE to buy a game.
    But...it's on offer. I missed it when it was in the Steam sale. What if it's never on offer again? Ever?!
  • JonFE 9 Aug 2013 23:21:25 1,442 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @caligari

    The Swapper is well-worth the money. It has an unparalleled atmosphere of isolation, an interesting story and some great, head-scratching puzzle mechanics thrown in for good measure.

    /is not helping...
  • Mr-Brett 9 Aug 2013 23:26:00 12,774 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Metalfish wrote:
    Yeah, but you're effectively ripping off those same kickstarter dudes who stumped up the early cash -that's the only reason for the high price. I have precisely zero problem with this situation.
    Why? The higher prices on Kickstarter made sense at the time, as they needed money for development. They got all the money they needed.

    So now, a year later, why are they still charging the same amount? They don't need all that money, and I doubt most people care about getting a digital artbook and other tat. So why not offer just a basic pre-purchase of the game, and alpha and beta access without all the digital tat at a lower price?

    It's just blatant profiteering for the sake of it.
    Again, it's so they aren't ripping off the kickstarter backers. They started off in a position that people pay X amount to get access at Y point, while this may not be the normal method or that popular but it's what they're doing and they've been pretty up front about it.

    It's only profiteering if people that are incapable of making a value evaluation or exercising some self restraint are not responsible for their own actions.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • George-Roper 9 Aug 2013 23:28:34 704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what is the deal with Planetary Annihilation? 52.99 for the game... am I missing something that doesn't seem to be detailed in the description? Because it certainly doesn't look any different from all the other strategy games on Steam right now.

    I know it's early access and all that, but 52.99... really?
    From what I understand, its because it was crowd-sourced originally and early availability was restricted to those who put in $100 or so. I think the price has actually fallen on Steam, it was almost 70 a week ago.
  • spamdangled 9 Aug 2013 23:31:58 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really wish you could search games on Steam by top-rated.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • El_MUERkO 10 Aug 2013 01:15:31 16,975 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    George-Roper wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what is the deal with Planetary Annihilation? 52.99 for the game... am I missing something that doesn't seem to be detailed in the description? Because it certainly doesn't look any different from all the other strategy games on Steam right now.

    I know it's early access and all that, but 52.99... really?
    From what I understand, its because it was crowd-sourced originally and early availability was restricted to those who put in $100 or so. I think the price has actually fallen on Steam, it was almost 70 a week ago.
    this, it'll come down the closer the game gets to retail, i kickstarted it for $50 and will get beta access the end of this month
  • spamdangled 10 Aug 2013 17:53:16 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr-Brett

    But the kickstarter backers paid to cover the development costs, not just to play the game. That's the whole point of kickstarter. And this took place over a year ago. Now most of that development is complete, so therefore far less money is needed. And again, they could lower the price easily whilst simply removing all the so-called "added value" extras like the art book, etc. Just allow people to access the alpha/beta, without all the extra guff, at a lower price. It's not unfair on the kickstarter backers then, because they still have all the extra bits. And game prices go down over time.

    It's just the thing about being an early adopter - you pay more money, and on kickstarter you pay to fund development.

    Edited by darkmorgado at 17:54:54 10-08-2013

    Edited by darkmorgado at 17:56:23 10-08-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • bad09 10 Aug 2013 18:07:58 5,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Train Sim again.

    2 train packs for a tenner, 2 route add ons for 25 and the base game is a fiver.

    http://www.getloadedgo.com/
  • vijay_UK 10 Aug 2013 19:46:20 2,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    People yet again struggling to understand they don't HAVE to buy a game.
    But...it's on offer. I missed it when it was in the Steam sale. What if it's never on offer again? Ever?!
    You can get the Steam key and DRM-free version of The Swapper from the developer's site, for around 4.83:

    http://facepalmgames.com/the-swapper/
  • Mr-Brett 10 Aug 2013 20:06:49 12,774 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @darkmorgado The purpose of kickstarter doesn't really have anything to do with it. People paid to get access at a certain point (how and where they paid is irrelevant) and to then offer that access for less at the same point later on would be a bit of a slap in the face. The extras are part of the tiers that they set out from the start, so discussing hypothetical situations of adding/removing those is pointless.

    You seem to be purposely overcomplicating this just to have something to be upset about.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Aug 2013 20:15:57 2,433 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    @darkmorgado

    You seem to be purposely overcomplicating this just to have something to be upset about.
    Thats the impression i get as well.

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

  • Page

    of 677 First / Last

Log in or register to reply