Steam and direct download sales Page 503

• Page

of 688 First / Last

• GrandpaUlrira 24 Mar 2013 22:11:40 3,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To The Moon has its flaws, but I recommend it as well. It really makes you think about the themes in a way that few games ever do.
  • Bremenacht 24 Mar 2013 22:21:16 19,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tempted me into a punt.
  • caligari 24 Mar 2013 22:30:53 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Hey chaps - my girlfriend's Dad lives and breathes Company of Heroes - he has an old version on disc and his disc-drive has stopped working.

I've installed Steam - anyone know of any cheap deals for the keys at the mo?
    Hmmm, we purchased the game via Steam - downloaded it (via his amazingly slow Internet connection)...BUT now it's saying that the CD key is already in use, and I can't find a way around this stupid Relic Online account recovery thing.

Any ideas, guys?

I can't understand how the CD key is already in use when we've only just purchased the game.

I've uninstalled his disc version from the PC - is that somehow conflicting with the Steam version?
  • Mr-Brett 24 Mar 2013 23:06:54 12,878 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh man that sounds nasty. I remember there being issues with integrating the Relic account with Steam but hadn't heard of that.

I had CoH and Opposing Fronts on disc and bought Tales of Valour on steam, at the time I couldn't get it to recognise the first games properly but it didn't care let me play it all through Tales of Valor anyway. It's a bit messed up...

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• caligari 24 Mar 2013 23:40:37 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jah, I've given up on it for now. I've tried all of the various 'reset password/reset account/new account' options but have got nowhere.

Luckily I'd also managed to get Napoleon (Total War) installed and working, so at least he has something to keep him busy.

Okay, now I'll stop the thread hijack!

PS - Any other games on Steam that are similar to CoH? I don't think that the 'fantasy' element of Dawn of War would appeal to him.

Edited by caligari at 00:19:47 25-03-2013
  • caligari 25 Mar 2013 02:01:47 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and absolutely loving 'Mark of the Ninja' at the mo. So glad that I picked it for cheap in one of those recent Steam sales/discount days.

Combines the best parts of Metroid/Metal Gear. I honestly don't think that I've played a better platformer (if you can call it that).

Edited by caligari at 02:02:03 25-03-2013
  • PenguinJim 25 Mar 2013 04:11:16 5,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    PS - Any other games on Steam that are similar to CoH? I don't think that the 'fantasy' element of Dawn of War would appeal to him.
    The Men at War games are similar, I think - only dabbled with my one, but it seemed a similar concept, but with every man having their own inventory (yay!). I really should get back to that...

At the end of the day, CoH isn't too abnormal an RTS. It's just done with such a great style and surprisingly well put-together. You could also consider the C&C games as alternatives (Red Alert if he likes extra ham, naturally).
  • foopakajoo 25 Mar 2013 06:30:42 18 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @caligari

I believe its got to do with when THQ closed down it must have taken relic online off as well, Relic are working on it using steamworks instead, see this post: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/22/company-of-heroes-retaining-online-functions-via-steam/

hopefully thats whats causing your issue and it should be fixed by april the 8th, but im not 100% sure.
  • Phattso Moderator 25 Mar 2013 06:42:24 13,800 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Didn't see it mentioned, but there's some sort of indie sale on Steam at the moment.

As it's now out on Mac via Steamplay I was pleased to see Hotline Miami with 50% off (down to 3.50 or something). Might be something else in there to float people's boats. Apparently 100s of reductions.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2013 09:04:53
    See if you can get a loan of a USB DVD drive for a few mins.
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2013 09:13:25 12,878 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    You could try Wargame: European Escalation or World in Conflict, both are more modern combat though. Other than Men or War, WW2 RTSs disappeared a few years ago, probably because it'd be bloody hard to top CoH.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• PenguinJim 25 Mar 2013 10:18:59 5,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AU$5.97 for a German Truck Simulator. That kind of game seems to float the boats of some WEIRD people around here. Quoting the BBC's number one travel program: "change gear, change gear, kill a prostitute, change gear".

This is a test to see how much interest there is in this sort of thing, y'know. Not enough comments/entries and I'll just give away extra keys down at the local orphanage instead. :p
  • pinebear 25 Mar 2013 10:48:23 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

• andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 10:48:24 8,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it only rts games that he likes, or turn based as well? I highly recommend Unity of Command if he likes operational level strategy games rather than smaller units
  • Widge Moderator 25 Mar 2013 11:04:33 13,728 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    AU$5.97 for a German Truck Simulator. That kind of game seems to float the boats of some WEIRD people around here. Quoting the BBC's number one travel program: "change gear, change gear, kill a prostitute, change gear".

This is a test to see how much interest there is in this sort of thing, y'know. Not enough comments/entries and I'll just give away extra keys down at the local orphanage instead. :p
    I went on there out of curiousity. I don't have enough points or something.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• caligari 25 Mar 2013 12:52:08 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @foopakajoo - Ah, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info, Joo. I've contacted Steam for help, but they usually take a week to reply.
  • caligari 25 Mar 2013 12:54:24 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and thanks for all the other help/recommendations, chaps. Arcturas has kindly sent me a key for Men of War, so I'll get that installed on his PC.
  • caligari 25 Mar 2013 12:59:31 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Okay, I might as well camp in this thread from now on.

Bioshock Infinite wasn't even on my radar until the EG review. Is the Greenman Gaming still the best offer: Inifinite, Bioshock, X-Com and Civ 5 for 23.99?

I've never purchased anything from them before - do they supply you with Steam keys for all the games?
  • mikew1985 25 Mar 2013 13:07:34 12,986 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Where are you asha?!

:(
  • Aretak 25 Mar 2013 13:09:08 10,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I've never purchased anything from them before - do they supply you with Steam keys for all the games?
    Yes.
  • PenguinJim 25 Mar 2013 13:34:36 5,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Okay, I might as well camp in this thread from now on.

Bioshock Infinite wasn't even on my radar until the EG review. Is the Greenman Gaming still the best offer: Inifinite, Bioshock, X-Com and Civ 5 for 23.99?
    If you're just after B: Infinite, you might be better off picking up one of the AMD Reloaded keys, which have been 12-16 at various places (CAG, Steamtrades) during the past week - or if you're about to buy an AMD card anyway, just pick up one of the right ones. :p

For the games bundle, a few people have been offering their Gamersgate pre-order (with all the "GMG" games) for 20-21 - mine's gone already, but I saw another couple on the CAG Steam Trade thread yesterday. If you order through Gamersgate.co.uk yourself, you pay 29.99 but get "10.52" back in Blue Coins (I got a bit more, for some reason). Amazon.com has stopped giving out $45 of 2K credit on their pre-orders, so you'll pay $60 and get $30 of 2K credit + XCOM (no Bioshock 1 or extra 2K game). Would have been a better deal last month, as the GBP has dropped a bit. :D

If you use GMG, DON'T use your real DOB or store any payment details - they've suffered from a few security issues in the past. They also don't have a great track record, so I recommend going in expecting failure. Always improves my experience with them. ;) (Banks often flag GMG as a gambling site, and I'd say that's a fair assessment. ZING!)
  • rtk79 25 Mar 2013 14:06:16 496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:

If you use GMG, DON'T use your real DOB or store any payment details - they've suffered from a few security issues in the past. They also don't have a great track record, so I recommend going in expecting failure. Always improves my experience with them. ;) (Banks often flag GMG as a gambling site, and I'd say that's a fair assessment. ZING!)

To be fair, not storing payment details anywhere is the thing to do.
    A few years back, ShopTo was compromised, and I lost around 300 euros because of them (my bank, thankfully, came through). As did quite a number of others. Something to bear in mind at all times.

Edited by rtk79 at 14:06:37 25-03-2013
  • PenguinJim 25 Mar 2013 14:29:25 5,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm... OK, there's a US TopCashback site and they have Gamersgate listed for 8% cashback. I registered there yesterday and got my 8% from a GG purchase registered already. Can put any amount earned into a Paypal account (no minimum).

I've looked through most of their retailers, and can't find much of international interest beyond Gamersgate (Amazon.com doesn't do cashback), so I'm not sure of how much interest it'll be to you bargain amateurs. :p But if you do sign up with them, use my referral link! :D Or, y'know, don't. :cry:
  • caligari 25 Mar 2013 23:29:57 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Okay, I couldn't resist and I ended up going for the GreenMan offer for Bioshock Infinite. I paid through Pay Pal, so no details have been stored (thanks for the warning, PJ).

It's currently downloading, but just before starting a message popped up - something about the game being locked until its release.

Does that sound normal - isn't the game already out?

Really chuffed about getting X-Com in the package - another game that I have been dying to play after loving the versions on the Amiga.
  • Sharzam 25 Mar 2013 23:39:36 3,194 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @caligari

No the game is not out, it will pre load so your all ready for when unlocks at midnight. The release date is the 26th.

And for what it is worth ive used GMG many times and never had a problem. Sure the site can be a bit clunky and slow at times but processing seams to go by fine when i use Barclaycard. Also it is 6% cashback with quidco.

Edited by Sharzam at 23:45:49 25-03-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• caligari 25 Mar 2013 23:40:49 17,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    @caligari

No the game is not out, it will pre load so your all ready for when unlocks at midnight. The release date is the 26th.
    Ah, few - thanks, Sharzam. After reading all of the negative comments about GMG I was certain that I was going to end up with a problem.
  • PenguinJim 26 Mar 2013 10:32:52 5,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:

I went on there out of curiousity. I don't have enough points or something.
    You should be able to do it now. Points are added to everyone whenever a gift is added by anyone, as part of a strangely logical system.
  • Arcturas 26 Mar 2013 18:12:45 123 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Humble Bundle seem to have two deals on at the moment:

THQ Bundle Here

Andriod Bundle Here

Edited by Arcturas at 18:15:58 26-03-2013

Edited by Arcturas at 18:16:32 26-03-2013
  • mikew1985 26 Mar 2013 18:34:54 12,986 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Arcturas wrote:
    Humble Bundle seem to have two deals on at the moment:

THQ Bundle Here

Andriod Bundle Here
    Cheers dude, didn't realise there was a new Android bundle, they've been consistently great. Helps that the room is included and unavailable otherwise!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Mar 2013 18:41:07 39,406 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, just bought both bundles. The Room and Darksiders II sealed the deal on them respectively.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 688 First / Last