Steam and direct download sales Page 412

• Page

of 686 First / Last

• Arcturas 26 Oct 2012 09:45:19 123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ED209 The one thing i will say about the PS1 release that it had over the PC original was that it had amazing music - I still listen to the tracks today.

Here is a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j7Xgnk9RDc

Ohh and the Guile hair is gone in Terror From The Deep (my personal fav).
  • PenguinJim 27 Oct 2012 04:28:46 5,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two games for 10. However, most of those have been 3.74 individually before. :p So it's basically Batman: Arkham City GOTY and The Darkness II together for 10. ;)
  • Moot_Point 27 Oct 2012 09:27:00 4,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    I'm not going to use my code for Reprisal if anyone wants it?
    "I'm old, gimme gimme gimme". As a consolatory gesture I'll relay a mediocre anecdote:

I've spent all week considering buying the original X-com from Steam for 3 quid. I've only trialled it on the PS1, but it never really worked properly so I'm not that familiar with it*. I can't blow 30 odd quid on the new Xbox version, and currently loving the retro-style awesomeness of FTL, so I really think I should give the original a go. But I'm not sure if I could cope with the ridiculously blocky graphics in this modern retina-screen age.

Every day I go to Steam, find it in the store and start browsing the screen shots. I can overcome the stupidly squat alien, the pixelated to shit grenade explosion, I'll even overlook the massive zoom/scale of everything that only allows for about 9 x 9 squares per screen. But I can never get beyond the soldier equip screen. It's the blonde soldier with the Guile-style, flat-top blonde hair that kills it for me. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH YOUR HAIR? I WILL NEVER BUY ANY GAME WITH YOU IN IT. I WILL CONTINUALLY LOOK AT THIS ITEM IN THE STORE UNTIL YOU NO LONGER APPEAR.

So my 3 quid remains alone and frightened in my bank account (is not a pauper, is married).

*In the interest of disclosure I did have Apocalypse and it was awesome. But it didn't have a spinny planet in it. and everyone fondly talks about the first one and doesn't really mention that one so I feel I have missed something.

Actually fuck it, don't give me the code. I'll wait until tomorrow and then definitely buy original X-com. maybe. after approving the screen shots.
    If you haven't played X-Com before i would suggest you get the original. The new game is style over substance, and many of the technicality has been removed. They haven't even got the musical score right either!

I have been playing the new X-Con (yes it is a con calling this an X-Com game) for a week and the amount of things wrong with it are astounding. Whether it be the glitchy menu system or the trouble trying to get to elevated sections without the cursor glitchily moving about. Also, trying to place a grenade or fire a rocket without the cursor moving so fast you end up over the other side of the map is fucking infuriating. I would go on but i will be accused of trolling. ;)

The only real problem the original had was that on the larger craft maps, you encountered slowdown. If you do not like the artwork of the original, you could go for the second one (Terror from the Deep) which is exactly the same, but with different names for the tech you develop. It is (obviously) based in the oceans instead of on land.

Ed: Have you noticed Firaxis/2K are outing the DLC without even a patch for glaring obvious things i have pointed out. Screw buying anymore of their games.

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:31:24 27-10-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Oct 2012 09:34:01 39,271 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh here he goes again banging the "X-Con" drum.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Moot_Point 27 Oct 2012 09:37:32 4,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Oh here he goes again banging the "X-Con" drum.
    /Claps

================================================================================

• ED209 27 Oct 2012 10:39:21 505 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Moot_Point To be honest I've not really read much about the new one as I'm not in a position to buy it yet. Although i was surprised about DLC so soon (Its like modern gamers have an attention span like a gnat's chuff). I have been reading about Xenonauts though,but that seems to be in an endless bug cycle fix (also I need to wait for a Linux version).

Actually you've convinced me to go for the bundle. I was only going to buy original for 3 and then maybe apocalypse for 3, but I might as well get the bundle for 9 with TOD (and other tripe thrown in). Now let's see if it works in Steam through Wine. L4D2 didn't, but that was a bit of wishful thinking (free to play this weekend BTW).

Samantha Janus?

• Moot_Point 27 Oct 2012 12:12:48 4,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Be warned that X-Com interceptor has the alien probe glitch. I have sent an e-mail to 2K, but as of yet, they have not made the patch available on steam. Here is a fix, but not sure if it will work with the steam version.

• onestepfromlost 27 Oct 2012 12:30:16 2,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dont listen to moot, the new XCOM is awesome and that is from a fan of the original.
  • steveb07 27 Oct 2012 18:23:12 878 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Just Cause worth a punt at less than 2 ?

PSN: IIIQuid

• Sharzam 27 Oct 2012 18:31:17 3,158 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes.

Excellent sandbox game where it is just about having fun. If you cant make your own fun thourgh you probably wont enjoy it as missions/story are pretty pointless.

edit: sorry miss read, thought said Just Cause 2, no idea about 1.

Edited by Sharzam at 18:31:51 27-10-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Maturin 27 Oct 2012 18:38:29 3,147 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    steveb07 wrote:
    Is Just Cause worth a punt at less than 2 ?
    First or second one? If it's the second, then yes. It still looks fabulous and is great fun.
  • steveb07 27 Oct 2012 18:47:29 878 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1st, is it more forgiving than GTA4 where I reached a point of frustration in the main story line and got sick of it.

Just looked again and the 2nd one is 3.49

Edited by steveb07 at 18:49:53 27-10-2012

PSN: IIIQuid

• monkehhh 27 Oct 2012 18:51:03 3,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just Cause 2 = yes, because of http://www.jc-mp.com/
  • Moot_Point 27 Oct 2012 19:12:05 4,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Guys! He said JC, not JC2. Although JC2 for 3.50 is pretty cheap, no?

• Doomspoon 27 Oct 2012 20:02:58 2,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Two games for 10. However, most of those have been 3.74 individually before. :p So it's basically Batman: Arkham City GOTY and The Darkness II together for 10. ;)
    I opted for this after turning down the similar deal last time. Darkness 2 downloads from Steam fine but you have to use their own installer for Batman as the key given is not a valid Steam one. Unless I missed something.

Aside from that, great deal. I wouldn't have bought The Darkness 2 normally but given I was waiting for the GotY edition of AC to hit 10 or less I went for it. I played 40 minutes or so of The Darkness 2 during the download and quite enjoyed it.
  • Moot_Point 27 Oct 2012 20:10:54 4,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Doomspoon You are not missing much with Batman AC. It doesn't save the checkpoints (for me anyway) and it doesn't look like rocksteady are patching it anytime soon.

• Doomspoon 27 Oct 2012 20:46:01 2,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Moot_Point That seems nasty. I've just been looking over various forum posts pertaining to it on Steam.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Oct 2012 09:35:15 622 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feh, bought Jet Set Radio and turns out the code is invalid... I assume if it was a region limitation I would get a different message than invalid code? I have used plenty of other Sega codes (Total Wars) from Gamersgate (and gifts) without problems...

EDIT - Turned out to be a card problem and Getgames were extremely quick to resolve my problem, so service is good and I have JSR. Continue as normal now I have no need to warn about anything :)

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 13:19:29 28-10-2012

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 13:20:06 28-10-2012
  • vijay_UK 28 Oct 2012 10:42:56 2,316 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would like to point out that the title of this thread is:

'Steam & Direct Download Sales and Special Offers Thread'.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Oct 2012 11:05:23 622 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I would like to point out that I am questioning whether one of the most recent offers has invalid codes, thus warning people of potential problems with buying it, which in my opinion fits the remit of the thread quite well.
  • rtk79 29 Oct 2012 11:25:05 495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls is 50% off on Amazon.com's download store throughout the week, and down to 20 dollars.
    Be warned : you get a steam code but it's still a Games for Windows Live thing.

Walking Dead is on sale as well (15$)
  • vijay_UK 29 Oct 2012 13:39:51 2,316 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    And I would like to point out that I am questioning whether one of the most recent offers has invalid codes, thus warning people of potential problems with buying it, which in my opinion fits the remit of the thread quite well.
    My apologies, but it was more a general comment as this thread gets unnecessarily bogged down with non-topic related issues.

Yours is a fair comment and appreciated.
  • Ranger_Ryu 29 Oct 2012 17:07:13 1,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Halloween Sale's just started.
  • orpheus 29 Oct 2012 17:12:08 1,008 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    Halloween Sale's just started.
    Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth is worth a punt for a few quid. Had it on xbox years ago, really good blend of a couple of the more famous Lovecraft stories (Innsmouth, Shadow Out Of Time). Old as all getout now but can't help but wonder if there's a texture mod to make it look a little prettier etc.

Edited by orpheus at 17:34:46 29-10-2012
  • Ranger_Ryu 29 Oct 2012 18:07:14 1,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    how's the PC port of Dead Rising 2,if anyone knows?
  • vijay_UK 29 Oct 2012 18:57:18 2,316 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In the Halloween Sale, only 'Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper' holds any interest for me (I have too many other games to catch up on).

Has anyone played it and would like to give any thoughts.

I've not been a huge point and click gamer tbh and therefore the game looks rather hard to me, but the screenshots are appealing.
  • waggy79 29 Oct 2012 19:20:25 1,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might go for dead rising 2 and orcs must die 2 although DR2 uses Games for Shitting Windows Live I think.
  • the_dudefather 29 Oct 2012 19:23:54 9,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ended up getting Trains vs Zombies 2 due to my fondness for spooky trains, and Hell Yeah!

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• mikew1985 29 Oct 2012 19:28:05 12,968 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    how's the PC port of Dead Rising 2,if anyone knows?
    Decent, uses GfWL though if that bothers you.
  • Page

of 686 First / Last