What type of game really winds you up?

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
  • pjmaybe 27 May 2004 11:34:51 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spawned by another thread - yes, little old me getting it the neck from the "Oh it's an FPS which automatically means it's GREAT" brigade.

    So what games really wind you up, make you hate them, cause you torsion of the testes (or titties if you're female)

    My pet hates :

    UNIMAGINATIVE FPS games (surprise surprise) - they're two a penny. And you can guarantee that if a movie licence is announced 9 times out of 10 it'll be a shitty FPS.

    So over to you - c'mon, it's OK - don't be scared. You ARE allowed an opinion!!!

    Peej
  • Lutz 27 May 2004 11:36:36 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Footy games. I know there's probably some good ones out there, but I wouldn't know as all sport titles, especially football ones get put into the "meh" category right off.
  • Juninho 27 May 2004 11:37:47 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its RPG's for me.

    Galzalazbalor the Olfo Elf wields the Horrucaun Axe of Destruction -10HP

    do me a favour
  • ruttyboy 27 May 2004 11:37:51 7,949 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pretty much any un-imaginative game pisses me off a bit.

    And I would argue that 9 times out of 10 a movie licence will be a generic platformer rather than an FPS.
  • Nemesis 27 May 2004 11:37:58 18,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would say when they sling in a Stealth mission mid-game.

    /uninstalls.
  • Mike_Hunt 27 May 2004 11:38:07 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Games where it's not clear what you have to do next. For example, this happens in Price of Persia a lot, you wander around empty rooms for about 3 hours, before realising that you're supposed to walk through the secret passageway hidden behind a wall hanging... How is that fun? What sense of achievement do you get from that?

    Games like that just make me reach for GameFAQs.

    [MH]
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2004 11:38:07 35,492 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On the other hand (I am not talking about you, Peej), there's also the "it's an first person game, so it must be shit" attitude.

    I never quite understood why first-person games are always considered to be one genre, when games like Thief, Painkiller and Far Cry have no more in common than Super Mario, Splinter Cell and Ico. It's just the perspective, ffs, it doesn't mean they're all the same!

    /rant off


    Well. No genre really winds me up. :-)
  • Angel_Treats 27 May 2004 11:38:11 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any sports title which is exactly the same game as the year before's installment, except that it has '2005' printed on the box now and a few changes in which player is with which team.
  • yegon 27 May 2004 11:38:31 5,211 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excrutiatingly linear turn based rpgs. I don't mind people liking them for the story, but it irritates me when they mention gameplay in the same sentence.

    Edited by yegon at 10:38:46 27-05-2004
  • Lutz 27 May 2004 11:39:32 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Any sports title which is exactly the same game as the year before's installment, except that it has '2005' printed on the box now and a few changes in which player is with which team.

    The EA syndrome. Fucking appaling.
  • Angel_Treats 27 May 2004 11:40:29 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Excrutiatingly linear turn based rpgs.
    They don't come much more linear than FFX, do they?
  • BartonFink 27 May 2004 11:40:39 34,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Definately has to be those stupid 'Xtreme' sports munges! I hates them I does!
  • ssuellid 27 May 2004 11:40:49 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beardy western RPGs. And games that add RPG elements that you can not disable - Warcraft 3 IMHO is ruined by the RPG crap.
  • glo 27 May 2004 11:41:38 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most RTS games irritate me tremendously. The only notable exceptions being the old Dune one and Warcraft/Starcraft. Even these ones get on my nerves after a while.

    Someone bought me Command and Conquer on my PS1 for my birthday one year. I played it for about 10 minutes and gave it away to a mate the next day.

    And this is from a man who will play most shite games, I even played Turok Evolution to completion.

    The other type of game that I can't get along with is the rhythm action games like Parrapa, Space Channel 5 and the ones with the Dance mats. I can appreciate what other people see in them but I'm just no good at them. No rhythm I guess...
  • pjmaybe 27 May 2004 11:41:39 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    On the other hand (I am not talking about you, Peej), there's also the "it's an first person game, so it must be shit" attitude.

    I never quite understood why first-person games are always considered to be one genre, when games like Thief, Painkiller and Far Cry have no more in common than Super Mario, Splinter Cell and Ico. It's just the perspective, ffs, it doesn't mean they're all the same!

    /rant off


    Well. No genre really winds me up. :-)

    In my defence I would say I'm not quite as bad as that (saying "It's an FPS, it's shite") - I'll give the game a good going over (play the demo) and if it has that spark of originality, or has a decent physics engine tacked in there, or does something new and exciting then I'm in. Lately though I get the feeling that the market's just bloated to bits with "clever" FPS games and that buying one will somehow be another case of "Oh yeah that's nice but HL2 will be nicer, hopefully"

    Another genre I hate - Sports games (mostly) - Have yet to see one that truly captures the spirit of the original sport it's based on (particularly footie)

    Peej
  • Jetset_UK 27 May 2004 11:41:41 3,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Platform games where you have to get jumps just right, else you fall to your doom/start of room.

    Winds me up a right treat that.


  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2004 11:41:49 35,492 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, fighting words there, ssuellid, we want names! :-)
  • Decoded 27 May 2004 11:45:07 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    2D platformers. Just never got the appeal, with the possible exception of the early Sonic games. Same goes for 2D shooters.

    And FPS games, too. Everyone talks about Half-Halo 3, Metroid Cry and Deus EX Prime and I haven't got a fucking clue what they're on about.

    Playing them make me feel queezy too.
  • Lutz 27 May 2004 11:46:00 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    Japanese RPGs, identikit wide-eyed anime heroes with stupid hair, random battles, dumb plots and dialogue translated via 12 different little know African dialects. A great big "meh"
    I used to love these, but then I came to the same conclusion as Harry. Aside from the odd retro one I don't play RPG's anymore. The sole exception of recent times being Golden Sun 1 & 2, but that's cos they're virtually 16 bit anyway.

    Fashion games too, get real. I mean seriously, Mary-fucking-Kate & Ashley? WTF was that?


    Hang on…

    /re-reds those words.

    Maybe not such a bad game after all… ;)
  • MikeD 27 May 2004 11:46:32 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Spawned by another thread - yes, little old me getting it the neck from the "Oh it's an FPS which automatically means it's GREAT" brigade.

    Fuck you, I never said that. It's you doing the exact opposite that annoyed me. And to call me a brigade seems slightly exaggerated, unless you include whizzo, who made a harmless tongue in cheek comment.


    Movie licenses are still mostly third person action games, only chronicles of Riddick/punisher come to mind when I think of recent/future license games that are turned into games. In one case that makes sense (the punisher characterm though no doubt the game'll be shite) and in another Vin Diesel should be applauded for actually really trying to make a good game, instead of letting a halfassed team do a rush job in 6 months. No matter what kind of game it is.


    Me, I can't really stand Rts games with loads of micromanagement/resource finding. They bore me to tears after 1 level or so.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 May 2004 11:46:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going with RTS too. Real Time Strategy. Where's the strategy in 'building up as big an army as possible before the other guy does, then knacking him'? :-)

    Western RPGs are mostly rubbish too.

    :-)
  • Lutz 27 May 2004 11:48:41 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decoded wrote:
    2D platformers. Just never got the appeal, with the possible exception of the early Sonic games. Same goes for 2D shooters.

    And FPS games, too. Everyone talks about Half-Halo 3, Metroid Cry and Deus EX Prime and I haven't got a fucking clue what they're on about.

    Playing them make me feel queezy too.
    You odn't like 2D shooters!?

    /points at the freak

    ;)


    Blerk: For RTS you really need to play against a human player that uses strategy. When I play I try and take the enemy base with the smallest force possible. Wiped out a Soviet base in Red Alert 2 with just 3 Prism Tanks before now, all strategically placed. Then they're good.
  • pjmaybe 27 May 2004 11:49:17 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Spawned by another thread - yes, little old me getting it the neck from the "Oh it's an FPS which automatically means it's GREAT" brigade.

    Fuck you, I never said that. It's you doing the exact opposite that annoyed me. And to call me a brigade seems slightly exaggerated, unless you include whizzo, who made a harmless tongue in cheek comment.


    Movie licenses are still mostly third person action games, only chronicles of Riddick/punisher come to mind when I think of recent/future license games that are turned into games. In one case that makes sense (the punisher characterm though no doubt the game'll be shite) and in another Vin Diesel should be applauded for actually really trying to make a good game, instead of letting a halfassed team do a rush job in 6 months. No matter what kind of game it is.


    Me, I can't really stand Rts games with loads of micromanagement/resource finding. They bore me to tears after 1 level or so.

    Calm down lad - another generalisation but you, Harry, most of the people who contributed to the Far Cry thread early on - all had a pop just because I said "Oh yeah it's pretty BUT it's not doing much different"

    Sheeh you're really het up about this aren't you - do the "ignore poster" thing if it fucks you up that much, M'kay? I'm not here to pick pointless fights with forumites.

    Peej
  • Juninho 27 May 2004 11:51:07 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    MikeD wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Spawned by another thread - yes, little old me getting it the neck from the "Oh it's an FPS which automatically means it's GREAT" brigade.

    Fuck you, I never said that. It's you doing the exact opposite that annoyed me. And to call me a brigade seems slightly exaggerated, unless you include whizzo, who made a harmless tongue in cheek comment.


    Movie licenses are still mostly third person action games, only chronicles of Riddick/punisher come to mind when I think of recent/future license games that are turned into games. In one case that makes sense (the punisher characterm though no doubt the game'll be shite) and in another Vin Diesel should be applauded for actually really trying to make a good game, instead of letting a halfassed team do a rush job in 6 months. No matter what kind of game it is.


    Me, I can't really stand Rts games with loads of micromanagement/resource finding. They bore me to tears after 1 level or so.

    Calm down lad - another generalisation but you, Harry, most of the people who contributed to the Far Cry thread early on - all had a pop just because I said "Oh yeah it's pretty BUT it's not doing much different"

    Sheeh you're really het up about this aren't you - do the "ignore poster" thing if it fucks you up that much, M'kay? I'm not here to pick pointless fights with forumites.

    Peej

    /picks pointless fight
  • pjmaybe 27 May 2004 11:51:35 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye I know. TBH all this shit, and the various digs about me and my cocktail stick racing game phobia just washes off my back like water off a duck, but I'm getting more than a little jaded by not being allowed to have/express an opinion on what I thought was a public forum where people express their views freely and all that...;)

    Peej
  • yegon 27 May 2004 11:52:12 5,211 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Another genre I hate - Sports games (mostly) - Have yet to see one that truly captures the spirit of the original sport it's based on (particularly footie)

    Peej

    EA sports game captures the spirit of modern sport - greedy, money motivated, sponsorship obsessed twats with branded cufflinks. Tiger Woods 2004 even has a whole QVC style subgame built into it.
  • MikeD 27 May 2004 11:52:36 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Calm down lad - another generalisation but you, Harry, most of the people who contributed to the Far Cry thread early on - all had a pop just because I said "Oh yeah it's pretty BUT it's not doing much different"

    Peej

    No I didn't, your memory is working rather selectively. You didn't like the demos, and that was fair game. But it was after about 6/7 posts in which you posted 'the game still sucks' inbetween discussions we were having that I got annoyed. And after retrospect you said you agreed that you went a bit too far. Or at least you said so, I see time has made you think otherwise.
  • Juninho 27 May 2004 11:53:26 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Aye I know. TBH all this shit, and the various digs about me and my cocktail stick racing game phobia just washes off my back like water off a duck, but I'm getting more than a little jaded by not being allowed to have/express an opinion on what I thought was a public forum where people express their views freely and all that...;)

    Peej

    /was joking

    Sorry.

    I'm sure Raj Pasaud would have a field day with Cocktail Stick Racing Game Phobia btw
  • Lutz 27 May 2004 11:54:09 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /gets popcorn

    /grabs front row seat.
  • ssuellid 27 May 2004 11:54:57 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Aye I know. TBH all this shit, and the various digs about me and my cocktail stick racing game phobia just washes off my back like water off a duck, but I'm getting more than a little jaded by not being allowed to have/express an opinion on what I thought was a public forum where people express their views freely and all that...;)

    But moaning about people disagreeing with your opinion because their opinion differs from yours is OK?
  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply