Post-Rock Page 3

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • Dr.Haggard 1 Oct 2009 12:02:54 4,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shido wrote:
    Mmm love a bit of post metal.

    Some others i couldn't see mentioned people might get a kick out of:
    Latitudes
    ...And So I Watch you from Afar
    Russian Circles

    Pelican must have been mentioned too right?
    /points at Metal Appreciation thread :)

    Not seen you posting in there, but I might be wrong.
  • AccidentProne 1 Oct 2009 12:12:12 1,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    corimi wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mogwai are very loud. And awesome. They played Mogwai Fear Satan, which made me JOYFUL.
    They are great live. MFS has got to be the best thing I've heard live, in terms of being almost completely silent, then the LOUDEST NOISE EVAR :D Good stuff

    My ears were ringing for ages after seeing them a couple of years back. I'd definitely consider ear plugs next time.
  • figgis 1 Oct 2009 12:12:14 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am listening to the new Fuck Buttons album at the moment, it's pretty good. Whilst not exactly post rock it's shares some similarities, imagine my Bloody Valentine playing trance.
  • Dr.Haggard 1 Oct 2009 12:13:59 4,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Eluvium, Stars of the Lid, A Lily, Ramesess III, Port Royal, Tim Hecker, etc etc etc. And, to be honest, any kind of music that doesn't fit anywhere else.
    I like Eluvium a lot, when I'm in the right mood.

    You might like Mamiffer if you haven't already come across them. It's Aaron Turner from Isis, Faith Coloccia from everlovely lightningheart and a couple of chaps from These Arms Are Snakes.
  • owl 1 Oct 2009 13:24:21 143 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Nobody mentioned The Appleseed Cast yet? I guess some of their stuff would be considered more indie or even emo, but Sagarmatha and both Low Level Owls sound pretty post-rock to me.

    i think i could listen to the first track on sagamartha on repeat for the rest of time
  • RedSparrows 1 Oct 2009 16:14:58 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Appleseed Cast are more 'rock' on my ears. Still, all good stuff.

    Arms and Sleepers are great.

    As are Russian Circles. Fantastic dirty guitar sound and moody interludes.
  • RedSparrows 1 Oct 2009 16:15:53 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, and Hammock are good too, as mentioned.

    Never got around to Tortoise, weirdly.
  • shido 1 Oct 2009 18:49:30 75 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    shido wrote:
    Mmm love a bit of post metal.

    Some others i couldn't see mentioned people might get a kick out of:
    Latitudes
    ...And So I Watch you from Afar
    Russian Circles

    Pelican must have been mentioned too right?
    /points at Metal Appreciation thread :)

    Not seen you posting in there, but I might be wrong.

    Hmmm not been there...gonna check it out...see if anyone is preaching the word of Baroness :D
  • RedSparrows 6 Oct 2009 15:06:21 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://soundcloud.com/_type/sets/i-could-not-love-you-more

    listenlistenlistenlistenlisten
  • Genji 7 Oct 2009 13:12:07 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    corimi wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mogwai are very loud. And awesome. They played Mogwai Fear Satan, which made me JOYFUL.
    They are great live. MFS has got to be the best thing I've heard live, in terms of being almost completely silent, then the LOUDEST NOISE EVAR :D Good stuff

    My ears were ringing for ages after seeing them a couple of years back. I'd definitely consider ear plugs next time.
    I had that experience at the concerts I went to. It's been about four times now.

    No ear plugs for me, though. Listening to Helicon 1, Fear Satan and Christmas Steps is worth the hearing loss. :D

    EDIT: Oh, and I can't forget Ithaca! Probably the loudest one there is!
  • M83J01P97 7 Oct 2009 13:18:28 6,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mogwai are pussies compared to MBV live.

    20 minutes of intense, none stop white noise? Yes please.

  • Genji 7 Oct 2009 13:21:48 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Bloody Valentine? Hrm, never seen them live. I wouldn't really call them post-rock, although I suppose they share some characteristics.

    I would've loved to see them, though. And Ride, when they were still around. I have a thing for Ride.
  • M83J01P97 7 Oct 2009 13:24:26 6,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, their Shoegaze through and through (although Post-Rock has taken a lot of shoegaze elements). But I was simply referring to the level of noise making in live shows.
  • RedSparrows 7 Oct 2009 13:25:54 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Mogwai are pussies compared to MBV live.

    20 minutes of intense, none stop white noise? Yes please.


    Mogwai did that when I saw them, at the end. 15 odd minutes of droning, pulsating guitar fuzz. It was both horrible and strangely euphoric.
  • Genji 7 Oct 2009 13:30:43 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mogwai did that when I saw them, at the end. 15 odd minutes of droning, pulsating guitar fuzz. It was both horrible and strangely euphoric.
    Yes, exactly. I don't know what it is - it's similar to noise music in that way. You can't even call it music, really. It's wild and free, and strangely liberating.

    If you can track it down, there's a great Japanese movie called Eli Eli Lema Sabacthani?, which has some great sounds along those lines.
  • RedSparrows 7 Oct 2009 14:19:36 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boris do some good droney stuff in between faster and heavier things.

    A track by them, called called Blackout, isn't droney at all, but is so miserable and repetitive and heavy, it has a peculiar effect.

    It is strangely liberating. Your mind's overwhelmed and yet able to fly in all different directions, whilst your body feels like it's being pulverised into the earth.
  • owl 8 Oct 2009 14:01:31 143 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Boris do some good droney stuff in between faster and heavier things.

    the albums flood and feedbacker are incredible. flood is a more general post-rock album which gets pretty heavy in the middle, feedbaker is like a ten minute 70s prog song coated in 40 mins of feedback.

    try and track them down if you haven't heard them
  • urban 8 Oct 2009 14:08:05 10,940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    shido wrote:
    Mmm love a bit of post metal.

    Some others i couldn't see mentioned people might get a kick out of:
    Latitudes
    ...And So I Watch you from Afar
    Russian Circles

    Pelican must have been mentioned too right?
    /points at Metal Appreciation thread :)

    Not seen you posting in there, but I might be wrong.

    i'm sorry but ...and so i watch you from afar definitely need mentioning in here

    they are my favourite instrumentalpostrockmetalband right now =]
  • StaticKing 8 Oct 2009 14:15:45 300 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    AccidentProne wrote:
    corimi wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mogwai are very loud. And awesome. They played Mogwai Fear Satan, which made me JOYFUL.
    They are great live. MFS has got to be the best thing I've heard live, in terms of being almost completely silent, then the LOUDEST NOISE EVAR :D Good stuff

    My ears were ringing for ages after seeing them a couple of years back. I'd definitely consider ear plugs next time.
    I had that experience at the concerts I went to. It's been about four times now.

    No ear plugs for me, though. Listening to Helicon 1, Fear Satan and Christmas Steps is worth the hearing loss. :D

    EDIT: Oh, and I can't forget Ithaca! Probably the loudest one there is!

    I LOVE Helicon 1. Such a beautiful sultry build, and that... release!
    Magical, spine-tingling, wow.
    I've gotta go see them again.
  • RedSparrows 14 Oct 2009 22:33:09 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I urge you noobs to listen to 'No Water, No Moon' in that Rameses III link I posted. If it doesn't make you gooey, you have no soul.

  • sargulesh 3 Dec 2009 12:22:52 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck Buttons aren't post-rock! Wash your mouth out.

    Does post-rock even exist anymore? It seems like a very 90s/early 00s idea. The first two Tortoise records and Spiderland are still the best of this stuff.
  • Genji 3 Dec 2009 12:24:06 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, Mogwai are still around. But their last album was quite metal-ey.

    Still good, though.
  • sargulesh 3 Dec 2009 12:27:46 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't believe Rock Action was released in 2001. They were already past their best by then sad to say.

    I always liked that The For Carnation record. The Pajo solo stuff never did anything for me but he moved further and further away from post-rock.
  • sargulesh 3 Dec 2009 12:29:16 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did anyone ever hear the Sam Prekop record? That was amazing.
  • Genji 3 Dec 2009 12:31:24 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sargulesh wrote:
    I can't believe Rock Action was released in 2001. They were already past their best by then sad to say.
    Yeah, but even past their best they're still awesome. Every album has had at least two absolute classics for me,
  • owl 3 Dec 2009 12:35:17 143 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rock action is probably my favourite album of theirs (along with cody), works best if you stick my father my king on the end
  • Genji 3 Dec 2009 12:37:25 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a Come on Die Young fan, personally. Mainly for Christmas Steps.

    And the BBC Commissions record is notable for the Helicon versions.
  • sargulesh 3 Dec 2009 12:39:23 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I only rate the first two records and EP(/EP+6).
  • owl 3 Dec 2009 12:40:33 143 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Genji wrote:


    And the BBC Commissions record is notable for the Helicon versions.

    ...and that they kept peel's voice at the start. always makes me smile.
  • RedSparrows 12 Jun 2011 18:27:44 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bump of mega proportions.

    This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket = BUY IT NOW.
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply