Post-Rock Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• chopsen 10 Dec 2008 11:31:25 16,290 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the bloody hell you lot talking about?
  • Genji 10 Dec 2008 11:35:35 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post Rock. Or, as I like to call it, Mellow Stoner Rock.
  • BTBAM 10 Dec 2008 12:16:40 1,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I tend to prefer closer to 'post-metal'

Isis, Mouth of the Architect and Cult of Luna and their ilk did it for me for a while, now I prefer more mellower post-metal like Leech who are my best discovery in a long time (http://www.myspace.com/leechofficial), and Long Distance Calling (can be found on Leech's Myspace top friends).

Mogwai stopped doing it for me a while ago, and now I don't listen to much of what I used to, but if you are interested in some other 'post' bands then check out

Coffin Dancer (Aaron Turner from Isis side project)
    Kenoma
    Rosetta (The Galilean Satelites is a wonderful album, 2 CDs of pure artistic wizardry)

and finally

Tides - Resurface

• Lateralaus 10 Dec 2008 12:25:06 1,091 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genji wrote:

+1 :D lol either way its awesome stuff!
  • Genji 10 Dec 2008 12:32:37 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lateralaus wrote:
    Genji wrote:

+1 :D lol either way its awesome stuff!
    Yes. Yes it is. It takes me to another place.
  • Popzeus 10 Dec 2008 12:35:21 8,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, post-rock :)

Great to listen to on your own, crap for gigs. I saw Arab Strap once, it was excruciating. The set went on for 2 hours and everyone's legs were aching by the end.

I remember another post-rock gig I went to, can't even remember who the band were now but it's the only gig I've ever been to where the entire crowd ended up sat cross-legged on the floor...

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Genji 10 Dec 2008 12:42:34 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw Mogwai, and they were fucking fantastic. Nobody was sitting down.

I loved it when the crowd were shouting out requests. "PLAY YES WE ARE A LONG WAY FROM HOME."

And Dominic just went up to the mike and said "No."

:-D
  • Popzeus 10 Dec 2008 12:55:41 8,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think my problem was most of my post-rock gigs were bands in the "quiet/chin-stroking" subset of post-rock. I can well imagine that Mogwai would have been different - I had a mate who was in a Leeds post-rock band called Rauschen that was at the noisier end of the spectrum and they were great live.

• TechnoHippy 10 Dec 2008 12:56:01 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:

Great to listen to on your own, crap for gigs. I saw Arab Strap once, it was excruciating. The set went on for 2 hours and everyone's legs were aching by the end.

I remember another post-rock gig I went to, can't even remember who the band were now but it's the only gig I've ever been to where the entire crowd ended up sat cross-legged on the floor...

Reminds me of Hawkwind gigs :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Genji 10 Dec 2008 13:02:31 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    I think my problem was most of my post-rock gigs were bands in the "quiet/chin-stroking" subset of post-rock. I can well imagine that Mogwai would have been different - I had a mate who was in a Leeds post-rock band called Rauschen that was at the noisier end of the spectrum and they were great live.

Oh.

Well, Mogwai can do quiet. But they can also do awesomely, ear-piercingly loud. Often in the same track. :-D

I had ringing in my ears for several days afterwards, and I wasn't even close to the stage.
  • Popzeus 10 Dec 2008 13:03:59 8,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:

Funnily enough that's what my dad said when I played him a Mogwai album.

"Who's this trying to be Hawkwind?"

• RedSparrows 10 Dec 2008 16:17:05 24,232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mogwai are very loud. And awesome. They played Mogwai Fear Satan, which made me JOYFUL.

Mouse, you were in UpCDownC etc? oo! I think they released Embers. I remember not thinking it was up to much, tbh.

• TechnoHippy 10 Dec 2008 16:26:44 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:

Funnily enough that's what my dad said when I played him a Mogwai album.

"Who's this trying to be Hawkwind?"

I'll have to give them a try.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• mouse 10 Dec 2008 16:29:56 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mouse, you were in UpCDownC etc? oo! I think they released Embers. I remember not thinking it was up to much, tbh.

Correct. Not up to much eh? Hehe, oh well, can't win em all :)

• BillMurray 10 Dec 2008 19:48:32 7,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and also Envy have been going down the post rock route for a few years now and they're absolutely bloody wonderful. They're still a hardcore/screamo band at heart but stuff from their last couple of releases are spine tingling stuff.

Best live band i've ever seen and their dvd that they released last year is epic stuff. Fans of Mogwai might recognise the vocalist Tetsuya, who features on their tracks 'I Chose Horses' which is on Mr.Beat I think.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2008 21:34:00
    Mono

Awesomest post-rock gig i ever did see.
  • RedSparrows 12 Dec 2008 16:36:45 24,232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I thought Embers was pretty....'post-rock', if you get what I mean. That formula that a heavier EITS did 8 years ago, and others did bits of before.
  • BTBAM 12 Dec 2008 19:13:43 1,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:

Correct. Not up to much eh? Hehe, oh well, can't win em all :)

I only just deleted UpCDownC off my iPod the other day when I had a ruthless cull of stuff I don't listen to enough, I liked the list of influences on your Myspace if I recall them correctly, and thought the music was promising stuff. But like Bossk and andydicktracymorgan it didn't quite hit the spot for me,
  • RedSparrows 20 Dec 2008 21:59:55 24,232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I listened to Cinder by Dirty Three properly again, the other day. Gorgeous.

Reminds me of The Marionette and the.. by Unwed Sailor. I have to be in the right mood but when I am, it's so nice to listen to. Great Waves is gorgeous.

Ditto BTBAM.
  • RedSparrows 1 Oct 2009 01:11:37 24,232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pop due to spamming Listening Thread.

I officially announce this is open to ambient music as well. Eluvium, Stars of the Lid, A Lily, Ramesess III, Port Royal, Tim Hecker, etc etc etc. And, to be honest, any kind of music that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • BillMurray 1 Oct 2009 01:15:22 7,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Since i'm going to bed in a jiffy i'm going to track down all these new names tomorrow after work and if I like the bands, hopefully order some new records.
  • owl 1 Oct 2009 01:31:51 143 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    william basinski's disintegration loops I-IV are well worth checking out if you are into ambient. i've been listening to them a lot recently, quite an interesting story to their creation as well

• RedSparrows 1 Oct 2009 01:39:26 24,232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw that linked a while back. Cheers for the reminder, must get onto it.
  • Fab4 1 Oct 2009 10:59:31 6,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure I listen to PR, I can just never tell when I am :)

Edit: I just did a not so scientific test using last.FM tags to see which bands were considered PR, and much to my surprise, Aereogramme are...well I never.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Oct 2009 11:05:52 39,760 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post-rock? I'm not done listening to rock yet, I can't be post-rock. Same goes for post-metal.

Post-grunge can kiss my hairy sack too while they're at it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• shido 1 Oct 2009 11:25:24 75 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mmm love a bit of post metal.

Some others i couldn't see mentioned people might get a kick out of:
    Latitudes
    ...And So I Watch you from Afar
    Russian Circles

Pelican must have been mentioned too right?
  • AccidentProne 1 Oct 2009 11:31:25 1,174 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nobody mentioned The Appleseed Cast yet? I guess some of their stuff would be considered more indie or even emo, but Sagarmatha and both Low Level Owls sound pretty post-rock to me.
  • corimi 1 Oct 2009 11:35:50 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Mogwai are very loud. And awesome. They played Mogwai Fear Satan, which made me JOYFUL.
    They are great live. MFS has got to be the best thing I've heard live, in terms of being almost completely silent, then the LOUDEST NOISE EVAR :D Good stuff
  • corimi 1 Oct 2009 11:37:34 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, no mention of Tortoise in a thread such as this? Not listened to much since Standards though.
  • FabricatedLunatic 1 Oct 2009 11:58:36 13,040 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I generally prefer heavier material--Isis, Cult of Luna, Rosetta, and what have you-- but I'm also fond of more ambient/electronic stuff like
    Lights Out Asia and Hammock
  • Page

of 7 First / Last