Opera - The Thread Page 3

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Dirtbox 8 Jun 2009 23:06:05 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like a bit of a poxy version of Evernote to me. Sadly Evernote isn't geared towards book citation, but I'm sure it can be if needed.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 9 June 2009 16:14:18
    Dirtbox.

Obviously you haven't used it m8. This addon is fucking stunning. It shits all over evernote from an astronomic height, however they are very different applications.

I couldn't do any of my uni work with out this addon. If I was asked to start referencing tomorrow by hand, Id be royally fucked. Many uni peeps on this site has expressed their amazement on said addon also, wishing I had have posted the link to it while doing their dissertation, Msc etc.

Anyways, back on topic.

Id love to change to Opera. Does it have tab focus using a mouse?
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 00:20:23 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What do you mean by tab focus?

• BartonFink 11 Jun 2009 00:48:05 35,126 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just downloaded it and will have a play for a few weeks.
    Looks nice - any recommended stuff DB?

Chrome was really nice to start with but it has suddenly become a bit of a pain in the past few weeks. Pages freezing (flash mainly) gobbling up memory, taking the piss with the cpu, etc. May be time to bin it.
  • corimi 11 Jun 2009 00:59:55 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The beta version of Opera looks pretty nice on Mac now too, which is a big help :) I've taken to using it as a recreational browser over the last while.

I've come to the conclusion though that none of the browsers around at the moment are doing what I want -

Firefox is unbearably slow to launch and interact with, but the address bar is awesome and it's a great browser for web development as it's widespread and cross platform.

Safari is also quite nice, and has similar developer tools to FF, but feels a bit limited in search options, keyboard shortcuts etc.

Opera has nice dev tools, the handy built in mail client, and the sync stuff is awesome, plus loads of other good features but it's pointless using it as a primary web dev browser

Ah, the trials of existence in the 21st century.
  • BartonFink 11 Jun 2009 01:04:35 35,126 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey DirtBox you mentioned it had an inline spell checker? Err where?
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jun 2009 01:07:27 35,855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Should work automatically.

This: hgfjfgsjfg is underlined.

• Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 01:20:05 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You got this one right?

• corimi 11 Jun 2009 02:00:37 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gaz40 wrote:
    I like opera on my box, as I have a 1.3ghz Amd duron (1999) and 512mb of ram. Firefox can be slow as shit.

But I am surprised you lot with your dual core cpu's and 4gb of ram really notice a performance difference. Doesn't make me feel like upgrading my computer really.
    Why are you inside my computer?

Yeah, stick with what you have, Firefox inexplicably starts to run like shit on any machine about 18 months after a major release in my experience. With Opera, it's actually feasible to check something quickly, then shut the browser down.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 02:40:55 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JayeM wrote:
    Might try it, does it have an extensions like Stylish?
    I looked into this, Opera has it built in for the most part, for the rest there's this.

• Bloodloss 11 Jun 2009 02:55:35 4,499 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaz40 wrote:
    I like opera on my box, as I have a 1.3ghz Amd duron (1999) and 512mb of ram. Firefox can be slow as shit.

But I am surprised you lot with your dual core cpu's and 4gb of ram really notice a performance difference. Doesn't make me feel like upgrading my computer really.

I for one certainly don't see any difference at all. Both sometimes use more memory than the other, and either may load a website 0.2 seconds faster than the other at best.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a good NoScript equivalent for Opera?
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 03:18:38 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can drag a tickbox for java script to your address (or any other) bar and uncheck it when you don't want scripts to run. Button is already in the appearance>buttons section.

• Dougs 11 Jun 2009 07:59:46 69,539 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a way to import read or old mail from the Opera 9 client? I've imported the settings but all my sent/received items didn't come across. Same with saved sessions (which is easy to sort out). No biggie if not.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 08:04:15 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, try this.

• BartonFink 11 Jun 2009 08:18:06 35,126 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You got this one right?
    Ah just checked the version and downloaded that, d'oh - all is right with the world again.

Very swish, haven't used Opera in years. Does it still hog memory like a bastard?
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 08:30:17 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No more than FF.

• Retroid Moderator 11 Jun 2009 09:14:02 45,311 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You can drag a tickbox for java script to your address (or any other) bar and uncheck it when you don't want scripts to run. Button is already in the appearance>buttons section.
    Plus you can just turn features like that off on a site-by-site basis. Very handy when you're using sites which like flash or pain-in-the-arse scripts a bit too much.

Plus: the built-in adblocker.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 09:24:21 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/219
    Forgot about this, I found this today, it doesn't look very easy to install though.

• BartonFink 12 Jun 2009 17:22:35 35,126 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure what's happening here but today on EG.

Go to the beta site.
    Front page renders but I still see the hourglass pointer.
    Also see some ad calls for the flash banners
    You can perform actions on the page like clicking on a link and updating karma.
    However unless you stop the page the actions don't get executed.

Weirdness.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2009 18:14:10
    Sorry Dirtbox. Tab focus, where your mouse hovers over a tab and focuses on that tab without pressing any mouse button. I used to have RSI and this was a god send. Since it has cleared but I fell in love with that tab focus.

• Deleted user 12 June 2009 18:21:31
    BartonFink wrote:
    Not sure what's happening here but today on EG.

Go to the beta site.
    Front page renders but I still see the hourglass pointer.
    Also see some ad calls for the flash banners
    You can perform actions on the page like clicking on a link and updating karma.
    However unless you stop the page the actions don't get executed.

Weirdness.

The normal home page does this to me too.
  • localnotail 12 Jun 2009 19:34:43 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oh...

I thought this thread was going to be about Opera

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dirtbox 12 Jun 2009 19:37:01 79,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a problem with the beta.

DaemonB wrote:
    Sorry Dirtbox. Tab focus, where your mouse hovers over a tab and focuses on that tab
    I'll look into it.

Ed: Nope, not possible.

• Deleted user 16 June 2009 19:46:32
    New beta of Opera introducing Opera Unite, they explain it better than I could:

So what is Opera Unite? In a nutshell, Opera Unite is a collaborative technology that uses a compact server inside the Opera desktop browser to share data and services. You can write applications — in the form of Opera Unite Services — that use this server to serve content to other Web users.

Why is this exciting? Well, it allows you to interact with contacts, sharing data and services without the need for any third-party Web sites/applications to be involved at all.

Think of the possibilities:

You could play games and chat to your peers directly using the service

You could share photos and videos with peers, straight off your hard drive, without needing to use third-party Web applications

You can work collaboratively with others on files such as data and images (think wikis or drawing applications), and then work with those files offline if you wish, before sharing them again at a later date

You could even start creating some crazy hacks, like an application that controls a remote car across the Web (I’ve seen a rough prototype in action)

Details here

Download page here.
  • banjoted 16 Jun 2009 19:53:56 1,500 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm been a loyal Firefox user for three years or so now, but tried the Opear 10 beta and really liked it. But I can't seem to get Opear Link working. Anyone else having problems?
  • Deleted user 16 June 2009 19:58:34
    What part of it doesn't seem to work for you?
  • banjoted 16 Jun 2009 22:36:59 1,500 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesn't seem to sync my bookmarks. It claims to be working but there's no evidence of it.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2009 11:55:57
    Thanks for looking any ways DB.

• terminalterror 6 Jul 2009 13:02:40 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quick question:

Before I reinstalled windows, I had Opera 9.64, and it allowed me to unfocus a tab by clicking on it (i.e. if I opened a new tab from here, then clicked on the tab while it was focused, I'd come back to this tab).

That no longer happens, both on the 9.64 I installed at first, and on the 10 beta I'm using now.

How do I get that functionality back? It was very useful.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last