Opera - The Thread Page 17

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Next
  • pauleyc 25 May 2012 19:32:12 4,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloody hell: Is Facebook about to buy Opera to create own Facebook browser?
  • Dirtbox 25 May 2012 23:45:46 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was about to post this.

Interesting, but quite silly imo. They do appear to be making a lot of odd acquisitions lately and they've wanted their own browser for a while so I suppose it's not too unlikely. I can't see it really working out though.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• grey_matters 26 May 2012 00:07:43 3,671 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It should be pretty easy to build their own browser so what are they after? I suppose a ready-made successful browser in the mobile space is an easy route when you have a shit-ton of money but it doesn't feel right somehow. I wonder what Opera store when they do their server-side shenanigans for Mini and Turbo? Browsing histories? Is there ad revenue to be tweaked?
  • Dirtbox 26 May 2012 00:17:52 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Installed userbase and existing infrastructure.

It would probably be their wisest acquisition to date, Opera has loads more credibility than Facebook could ever hope to obtain, the software is undeniably good and it's about the only way they could get their foot in the browser market, which is one of the most lucrative industries on the internet next to searches and social sites.

All I want to know is what the price tag on Opera would be. It's worth a million times Instagram's value.

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:33:20 26-05-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• oceanmotion 31 May 2012 12:04:53 15,647 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Trowel 17 Jun 2012 10:32:35 17,428 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Opera 12 out now, seems to be mostly security and process enhancements rather than a raft of new features, with some themes option that I'll never use:

http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1200/
  • Trowel 31 Oct 2012 20:48:46 17,428 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I've persisted with Opera longer than I should, and am finally making the full switch over to Chrome. Experienced too many sites with minor things not working recently, it struggles when restoring some tab sessions, and the final straw is some page redirects failing (Quidco most notably) - seems to be a bug with the 64 bit version of Opera 12. Farewell old friend...
  • DaM 31 Oct 2012 21:16:58 12,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I largely jumped a few months ago. Made me sad, but I was just getting too many pages not working and crashes.
  • MrDigital 31 Oct 2012 23:05:26 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was switching between Opera and Firefox for years and then sometime last year I made the switch to Chrome. It works, it's fast, it's clean, can't ask for any more. In recent years I felt Opera had problems (didn't always work) and got bloated (not clean). It was still quite fast, but on switching I found Chrome to be even faster.

No reason for me to stay at all, sorry Opera.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• twelveways 14 Mar 2013 08:18:53 3,844 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used FF for years but I have recently bought a new laptop and decided to be adventurous in the browser department.

I downloaded Chrome first and I have to say, I quite liked it. Took a while getting used to not having all the extensions I was used to but it seems faster and looks very clean. Seems to use up a lot of memory though and has a running task for each tab I have loaded.

Downloaded Opera a few days later but haven't really used it that much, what reasons are there for switching over from Chrome/FF?
  • ray 24 Apr 2013 16:37:23 684 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh reading the last few pages it seems I'm the only one thinking of switching back to Opera (after using Chrome for a few years). Just installed it, there have been lots of changes since the last time I used it. Looks good, we'll see how it works.

Edited by ray at 02:55:07 04-05-2013
  • rock27gr 4 Jul 2013 18:47:19 5,560 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New Opera 15 out now! Based on Chromium
  • rock27gr 4 Jul 2013 18:51:25 5,560 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Giving it a test-run now, seems good so far, more stable than the previous versions, and should play well with gmail etc now
  • Chopsen 4 Jul 2013 18:52:35 15,713 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any particular reason to bother with it? USP?
  • Aretak 4 Jul 2013 19:14:00 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nope. It's utterly shit right now. Doesn't even have bookmarks.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Jul 2013 20:31:07 35,423 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It imports your bookmarks to folders on the homescreen - I actually quite like that, but then I've had all my most used bookmarks on the "new tab" thingy for years, and everything that's not on there is forgotten.

Also like the "stash" function.

I've always liked Opera for reducing functionality to the essentials and not being afraid of doing new things, and this doesn't seem to be different.
  • Aretak 4 Jul 2013 20:42:50 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I've always liked Opera for reducing functionality to the essentials
    That doesn't really sound like Opera to me. It's always included a lot more features out of the box than any other browser. Indeed, the vast majority of the complaints I've read about the new version are regarding its stripped-back functionality, with pretty much every distinctive feature and a huge number of settings from 12 missing. The interface is also completely non-customisable now, which has been one of the best things about Opera in the past.

I've no doubt that some of it will be added back in the future, but right now it's little more than a skin for Chrome.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Jul 2013 20:51:30 35,423 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Aretak I've been using it since you had to pay for it ages ago, and Opera has changed a lot over the years since then, but they always avoided feature creep. Just kept the stuff that made sense, often changing my browsing habits.

I agree though that it's a little too bare-bones atm, I shouldn't have to fiddle with stuff to get settings like smooth-scrolling.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last

Next