Opera - The Thread Page 15

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• terminalterror 17 Dec 2010 15:46:53 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Uncheck opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowGestureUI and lower opera:config#UserPrefs|GestureThreshold

Or ask on reddit. Whatevs.

Thanks a second time. Slightly surprised that you were actually more helpful than the person at Opera who is actually responsible for mouse gestures*!

Now I've been using the gestures with the lower threshold, it makes them much more responsive. Back to whizzing around the internet again!

It amuses me whenever I'm showing anybody something on the internet and using Opera, and they are amazed at how fast I fly around between different tabs, the speed at which I can back out of a link that isn't as useful as I thought. Huzzah for Opera!

*not surprised at your helpfulness, which particularly for anything to do with Opera is outstanding, more that the person responsible for the gesture system (whilst offering a good explanation of why things are different and how they'll be changing it back) didn't suggest the quick fix that you did.
  • Dirtbox 17 Dec 2010 15:52:09 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No worries, I haven't had a problem with it at all, I don't know what he's blathering on about. Some opera dev, he is.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• terminalterror 17 Dec 2010 15:55:09 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For people new to Opera:

Opera is incredibly customisable, and you can add all sorts of buttons to do all sorts of things. Right click on a toolbar and choose "Customize", then "Appearance" and you can move buttons and elements wherever you want, and add new ones.

By default you get quite a few to choose from, but there are loads more here (it says for Opera 8-9, but they still work just fine in Opera 11).

For example, I'm not a big fan of each tab having a close button on the tab. You can turn that off in the options easily, but that leaves you with no way other than a keyboard shortcut/mouse gesture to close a tab (mouse gestures don't work on a full page flash tab). You can add a "close page" button to the end of the tab bar (next to the "new tab" button). I've removed the "new tab" one as I use that far less frequently than I close tabs.

I've also set the bookmark bar (used to be called the personal bar) to the right of the screen and added a toggle to show/hide it, so it doesn't take up any screen space when I'm not using it, but a single click on the toggle and I have lots of bookmarks to click (mostly shortcuts to internet radio station .pls files).

If you are into tinkering and customizing, it is worth a fiddle.
  • terminalterror 17 Dec 2010 21:28:03 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some great extensions in Opera 11.

Popup Statusbar makes the tooltips you get when you hover over a link behave like chrome (i.e. they no longer pop up over the link, they appear at the bottom of the browser) when you've disabled the status bar. Handy as that was one of the things I particularly liked about chrome, and now I have it in Opera :)
  • terminalterror 23 Jan 2011 18:33:18 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cleanpages Opera Extension

You click the little button on the toolbar and it fishes out all the text for you onto one page. Handy.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2011 19:16:21 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:

You click the little button on the toolbar and it fishes out all the text for you onto one page. Handy.

Awesome, cheers. Been waiting for a "Reeder" clone for Opera that doesn't annoy me one way or another, this works perfectly.
  • Dirtbox 23 Jan 2011 20:20:47 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's called the built in email client.

https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/tab-vault/1.1.1/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/kick-ass/1.0.3/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/image-autosizer/1.5/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/lastpass/1.70.15/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/documents-preview/1.1/?display=en

Are also pretty good/useful.

There's an email notifier here, but use the email client for pity's sake. https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/x-notifier-gmail-hotmail-yahoo-aol/0.1.5/?display=en

• Dirtbox 23 Jan 2011 20:21:10 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fine.

• terminalterror 24 Jan 2011 10:57:24 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:

Awesome, cheers. Been waiting for a "Reeder" clone for Opera that doesn't annoy me one way or another, this works perfectly.

The only thing that would make it better is if it had the option of keeping the article's images.
  • terminalterror 24 Jan 2011 11:11:29 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks Dirtbox for the link to tabvault, it is something I had no idea existed but it should be really really useful. I like how customisable it is too.
  • terminalterror 27 Jan 2011 12:44:57 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Opera 11.01 is out, and they've reverted mouse gestures to how they were before they made them worse with 11.00.

Remember to reset your mouse gesture threshold if you lowered it as a workaround.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2011 15:54:44 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't like that they've broken the right click hold/left click way of going back. Really annoying.

• terminalterror 27 Jan 2011 20:17:19 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I don't like that they've broken the right click hold/left click way of going back. Really annoying.

Broken how? I don't use that gesture often (I prefer moving the mouse and using one clicking finger than not moving the mouse and using two), but I tried it just now and it worked just fine. It worked whether I held the right mouse button and then clicked the left, or whether I rapidly clicked the right then left buttons.
  • DJCopa 11 Mar 2011 14:35:16 1,055 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've had enough of Flash continually breaking on Chrome so thought I'd give Opera a go. Very impressed so far with performance and number of widgets out there - I've had a quick look through this thread for some decent widgets (Asteroids is a favourite) and just wondered if anyone had any new recommendations?
  • Mr-Brett 17 Mar 2011 20:17:52 12,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has Facebook been broken for anyone else recently? (using opera of course)

Portable view - Never forget.

• Mr-Brett 21 Mar 2011 19:54:08 12,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nobody else getting this?

I don't use facebook much but it's still annoying to have to boot up a separate browser for it...

• Trowel 21 Mar 2011 20:34:02 16,847 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Facebook is fine for me. Are you on the latest Opera (11.01)?
  • Mr-Brett 21 Mar 2011 20:42:38 12,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, 11.01

Strange...

• terminalterror 22 Mar 2011 15:52:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Facebook is working fine for me.

Had a few days recently where Youtube was all broken, but it fixed itself again. No idea what caused it, as I don't think anything at all changed at my end.
  • robthehermit 22 Mar 2011 16:33:20 3,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    opera mobile 11 is all kinds of awesome. Keyboard is still shit though.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Mr-Brett 9 Apr 2011 19:33:55 12,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Facebook is still broken and I've notice other sites too, (Shopto, MCV). It looks like some of the content, isn't loading, I suspect it's the CSS stylesheet, because the formatting goes to hell and it only seems to load html.

Or possibly it's the Javascript.

• Tom_Servo 12 Apr 2011 21:04:04 15,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    EWWWWWWWWW new Speed Dial
  • Dirtbox 12 Apr 2011 21:05:25 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep.

That's why I switched to chrome.

• Deleted user 12 April 2011 21:09:20
    I wish flash wasn't crashing chrome so much recently.
  • Tom_Servo 12 Apr 2011 21:09:36 15,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's bookmarked a load of shit as well! Fuck off, I don't want bookmarks to Bing and AVG!
  • Dirtbox 12 Apr 2011 21:10:54 76,327 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I wish flash wasn't crashing chrome so much recently.
    Use the beta version, it's more stable with flash (am I really hijacking my own browser thread for a different browser??)

• Page

of 17 First / Last