When did gaming just become a frustrating chore?

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 21:54:10 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously. Almost every game I've played recently has had bits which just piss me right off. GTA with it's poor on foot controls and 3 Leaf Clover mission which really grated me and the end where if you die you have to re-do the entire assault because you didn't realise the rockets spawn rather than being shot, or because you didn't keep up on the bike because well, how could you, you've never been on that route before. Mirror's Edge needs no introduction to frustration either, especially if you are not using guns, or god forbid, trying to use your brain.

Gears 2 had those awful vehicle and turrent sections which induced some swearing, The Force unleashed is just a giant chore as in Tomb Raider Underworld.

The final fuck you I would like to pass onto Call of Duty 4. Fuck you IW, fuck you. No, having baddies with pinpoint aim is not fun, neither is lobbing grenades the second I get in cover, even less fun is the fact that shooting people is mostly pointless as they'll respawn the second they hit the ground but oh no, this wont stop until I personally have gone up there and killed 5 people in a room by myself, which doesn't happen often as the second I get shot my vision goes blurry and I have no hope of defense. When this is finally achieved you move onto the next building and oh, who guessed it, baddies spawned inside it the second I left the front door and now begin shooting me in the ass.

I then stamped on the case. The end.

Games that annoyed me this year: All of them except Civ.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2008 21:55:44
    Pretty much the exact same time as you get a proper job, I found.
  • Kostabi 7 Dec 2008 21:57:50 4,874 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JRPG bosses are my trigger for boiling piss. I still haven't finished FFXII because of the last boss of three and I put Lost Odyssey back on the shelf after cruising all the way to the end only to get stomped by the last boss there too. Bastards.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:01:35 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got stomped on by the second boss on the top of the mountain because as far as I can tell, I was a level too low which means that he just spams a move which causes 50% damage and is unblockable. Had to go away and level grind for abit before continuing, fantastic.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:01:35 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:03:13 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what, fuck it, unless it's part of the must own games because I'm a fan of the maker/series I'm not bothering with it anymore. Gaming doesn't appear to be a way to 'relax' anymore.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 7 Dec 2008 22:05:37 7,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try some Wii games. Seriously.

Oh, and 3 Leaf Clover is the best part in GTA IV :/
  • Khanivor 7 Dec 2008 22:08:25 40,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Games that annoyed me this year: All of them except Civ.

So having a Civ which you have at least +10 relations with declaring war and nuking you on the same turn while their troops seem oddly well experienced for a nation that's never been at war didn't get on yer tits? :)
  • jonsaan 7 Dec 2008 22:11:27 25,326 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stop playing games on hard. Simple. once you can get over yourself to the degree where you can select easy without feeling some kind of inferiority will be almost the exact same time you start having fun again.

FCUTA!

• Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:11:58 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not when I nuke them back and/or send the bombers round :)
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2008 22:13:18 53,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They've always been this frustrating (actually worse from what I remember)... you just have less patience for it because you're older. :)
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:13:54 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    Try some Wii games. Seriously.

Oh, and 3 Leaf Clover is the best part in GTA IV :/

It wasn't the mission so much as the poor controls, silly AI which kept running out and getting killed and the lack of mid mission save, so you have to do the whole car ride then cutscenes and then the block fight and then back to where I died last time. How hard would it have been to give a checkpoint before each bit eh?
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:14:46 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    They've always been this frustrating (actually worse from what I remember)... you just have less patience for it because you're older. :)

... and I'm only gonna get older! :(

/stamps on basket of kittens
  • absolutezero 7 Dec 2008 22:16:13 7,956 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest I feel like this all the time.

Fallout 3 brought me back, I could spend hours there without getting ass-raped by fucking idiotic decisions.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:16:25 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Stop playing games on hard. Simple. once you can get over yourself to the degree where you can select easy without feeling some kind of inferiority will be almost the exact same time you start having fun again.

There in lies a big problem, I like games to have challenge but not to frustrate.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2008 22:16:29
    When MMORPGs became acceptable.
  • ecureuil 7 Dec 2008 22:16:44 76,479 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never had a problem with the controls in GTAIV.. found them extremely accessible and fun, actually. Can't agree with you there.

The "when did games stop being fun" argument crops up every year, and it still doesn't hold much weight.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:18:00 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    To be honest I feel like this all the time.

Fallout 3 brought me back, I could spend hours there without getting ass-raped by fucking idiotic decisions.

Yeah, Fallout 3 is actually a good one, it never feels too easy but it never takes pleasure in just ramming everything up your arse every second.

Crysis was another one which was balanced perfectly.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2008 22:20:30
    The whole "when did games stop being fun" is an entirely individual event that happens at all of us at some time. It's like any love affair, at some point a round of disappointment will be slung your way, you find yourself becoming incredibly picky and then the fun disappates when you realise that all you're doing is a bunch of arbitrary tasks with set rules.

Then you get over it and just get on with it.
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2008 22:21:35 53,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Crysis was another one which was balanced perfectly.
    When I played it I figured that it was mostly because it didn't have any fun in the game to start with. :p
  • Deleted user 7 December 2008 22:24:26
    This is pretty much what makes me still game after all these years. Since when did I ever wanna play a game that was 'relaxing'?!?! Bollocks to that...I want sweat, swearing and gnashing of teeth. I wanna feel like punching my screen because I was headshotted at stupid range with a shitty pistol on de-dust2.I want to feel like throwing my keyboard out of the fucking window because Tank took me out on the finale of Dead Air on expert. You can all shove your relaxing games up your arses. Fishing Simulator? FUCK OFF!
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2008 22:25:31 53,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're an angry, angry man. :D
  • Deleted user 7 December 2008 22:25:41
    The answer to this question is: "When I turned 30. Although frankly it was pushing it's luck when I was 28/29."
  • absolutezero 7 Dec 2008 22:30:13 7,956 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nipples wrote:
    This is pretty much what makes me still game after all these years. Since when did I ever wanna play a game that was 'relaxing'?!?! Bollocks to that...I want sweat, swearing and gnashing of teeth. I wanna feel like punching my screen because I was headshotted at stupid range with a shitty pistol on de-dust2.I want to feel like throwing my keyboard out of the fucking window because Tank took me out on the finale of Dead Air on expert. You can all shove your relaxing games up your arses. Fishing Simulator? FUCK OFF!

Hes not really meaning that at all though. What Hunam is getting as is more why ruin games that could be relaxing and fun (online FPS's were never ever going to be like that, Tomb Raider though?) with horrible horrible design decisions. Who oks stuff like the tank segment in GoW2? Did anyone actually enjoy that? Did they not notice people constantly falling into the water and swearing?

CoD4 is one of the worst criminals, for something thats so highly praised its filled with irritations all the way through, rubbish AI and fucking grenades. Blurring the camera at the one point where you need clear vision the most is just a shitty joke.
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2008 22:39:34 53,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    Who oks stuff like the tank segment in GoW2? Did anyone actually enjoy that? Did they not notice people constantly falling into the water and swearing?
    Too long... and yeah, the ice bit of it was utter arse.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:39:44 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Hunam, have you played Super Mario Galaxy?
    It seemed to appeal to a few people in your predicament.

I played it for 10 mins. Might have to seek it out really, simple fun is what's needed.
  • Hunam 7 Dec 2008 22:42:00 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    The answer to this question is: "When I turned 30. Although frankly it was pushing it's luck when I was 28/29."

I'm 23 :(

It's also worth noting that Multiplayer gaming doesn't frustrate me, only single player.

Oh, and MGS4 wasn't frustrating, at least you have 20-80mins of cutscenes to let the blood clam down if anything annoying happened. :D
  • morriss 7 Dec 2008 22:44:27 70,911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fallout 3 feels like a frustrating chore to me. :( I can't help it, but it does. So does the Resi 5 demo.

Fable II wasn't. that was magical and a treat to play.
  • Benno 7 Dec 2008 22:44:53 9,759 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Games are just graphical challenges. If you don't like the challenges, just stare out of the window - its got better grafix.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous