Match.com and Online Dating Page 315

• Page

of 330 First / Last

• Zomoniac 9 Oct 2012 13:53:50 7,802 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And me. I play along because I don't want people to think it's getting to me, it isn't, it's just not funny anymore. It was, and probably will be in six months when something new undoubtedly comes up, but it's been weeks now of the same line on repeat. Which isn't to say I'm not happy with people making jokes at my expense, I'm quite fine with that, just come up with something new please.
  • sport 9 Oct 2012 13:55:22 12,561 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    And me. I play along because I don't want people to think it's getting to me, it isn't, it's just not funny anymore. It was, and probably will be in six months when something new undoubtedly comes up, but it's been weeks now of the same line on repeat. Which isn't to say I'm not happy with people making jokes at my expense, I'm quite fine with that, just come up with something new please.
    Should we nonce up the stories instead?
  • Zomoniac 9 Oct 2012 13:57:04 7,802 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You have my blessing.
  • von_Doll 9 Oct 2012 14:06:54 2,105 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We were out for food on Saturday night and sat a little too close to what was quite clearly the most cringe-inducing first date in history.

Neither of them got what they were expecting, the chat in-between the long silences was terrible, she was more interested in pretending she was texting someone and looked like she wanted to make a dive for the door and I got the impression Mr ponytail-and-goatee was willing to go the distance, cos, well, it was Saturday night, he wasn't doing anything else and any port and all that.

Instantly thought of this thread.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 14:18:21
    Salaman wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Is she still alive?
    Doesn't it get boring making that same joke again and again?
    It's starting to get a bit old for me at the least.
    Who's joking?
  • FWB 9 Oct 2012 16:14:38 43,847 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of the best dates I've overheard was about a year or so ago. In a nice enough restaurant. They walk in, she's fairly quiet and he's pretty brash. First thing he does is slap his hands together and announces in all seriousness "I've got vouchers for here so this is going to be nice and cheap." They sit down, he embarrasses her by informing the waiter that she's French so should know what wine to choose. She clearly doesn't want the attention, but he's having none of it.

During the meal I overhear that it's her birthday. He asks her, "So you had a party round yours last night?" "Yep." "Oh crap, that means I'm going to have to wake up to an untidy apartment. Did you clean up?" Again, not joking.

Her phone rings. She ignores it. He asks who it was. She says it was her mum. He tells her to call her back since she probably wants to wish her a happy birthday. She says she'll do it later as they're having dinner. He's adamant that she leave the table and go outside and call her. She says she'd rather not. He persists, so out she goes.

Very surreal thing to watch. Can't believe that some people are that big a prick, let a lone so clueless.
  • Salaman 9 Oct 2012 16:17:37 18,870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Is she still alive?
    Doesn't it get boring making that same joke again and again?
    It's starting to get a bit old for me at the least.
    Who's joking?
    Well it stopped being funny a few pages back so I'm not really sure what you're doing at this point.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 17:06:34
    I'm going to assume you're having a slow day and let it pass this one time.
  • MrDigital 9 Oct 2012 21:48:38 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Breakups really fucking suck...

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Salaman 9 Oct 2012 21:54:04 18,870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeaaaaaaah. That they do. :-/
    What's going on? "On a break" or really permanently broken up?
  • MrDigital 9 Oct 2012 22:12:17 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GF moved to Barcelona. It was planned since before we got together, so we always knew but it still seemed to come out of nowhere. We decided not to even do long distance as it would have been to hard, but it seems even long distance communication was too hard and it's lead to fighting when we Skype. So broke up with the girl I love and salt on the wound that we've fought so many times due to not something negative, but due to love being strained.

Life goes on though, I'm coping in day to day life, it's just the free time that's the killer.

• FWB 9 Oct 2012 22:31:32 43,847 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that statistical long-distance relationships have as much of a success rate as regular relationships.

It was going to go pear-shaped anyway.
  • sport 9 Oct 2012 22:49:57 12,561 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pass the salt please, FWB.
  • MrDigital 9 Oct 2012 23:01:59 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha, it was going superbly before the distance, so maybe I'm not part of the majority.

• Zomoniac 9 Oct 2012 23:12:31 7,802 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry Geesh :( my last but one girl moved to Cambodia, which was also arranged before I met her, but fortunately I didn't get at all attached so it was painless, must be awful to have a girl you love move away.
  • FWB 9 Oct 2012 23:15:48 43,847 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Distance shouldn't be an issue if there is an end in sight; a coherent plan as to how you will be together again. Winging it won't last long.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2012 23:23:15 66,709 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    Haha, it was going superbly before the distance, so maybe I'm not part of the majority.
    Should have joined her. Do it!
  • FWB 9 Oct 2012 23:26:58 43,847 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd follow a lass I loved to Spain. But then I'm a EFL teacher so I can work anywhere. In fact that's why I do the job I do.
  • repairmanjack 10 Oct 2012 01:00:41 5,987 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Back from the date. She was beautiful! Really nice, very clever and ... German (in a lovely, cosmopolitan way).

I mentioned the war, once, but I think I got away with it. She was happy to sit and chat for three hours. God knows why - she can do far better.
    Well, I haven't posted in this thread for a very long time, and I think I was here from about page eight onwards. Started reading through again tonight, for nostalgia's sake, having a laugh at rather a lot of my older posts (and one or two memorable experiences - 2009 was a fecking low point) and found this post.

Last weekend, the rather amazing German lass I met two and a half years ago agreed to marry me.

We were initially together for four months, she ended it, left the country, I met someone else, that ended, and we both ended up in the same place, at the same time, over a coffee that following Christmas.

It was pretty good coffee, I guess. :)

I never would have thought to join one of these dating sites (I think I ended up on five over three years), if not for this thread.

Keep at it, folks. And, as ever, don't wink, message.
  • neilka 10 Oct 2012 01:07:27 15,665 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She only wants you for your ration book
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 07:13:31
    That's an ace story, congrats!
  • Benno 10 Oct 2012 07:47:37 9,791 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Congratulations!

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• mrpon 10 Oct 2012 08:15:01 28,463 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fabulous, congrats jack.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 10 Oct 2012 08:25:17 66,709 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Congrats!
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 09:03:16 7,802 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great stuff RMJ, wonderful story, congratulations.
  • elstoof 10 Oct 2012 09:35:15 6,626 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New hats at the ready everyone, I'll have the beef and congratulations.
  • Salaman 10 Oct 2012 10:07:43 18,870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Congrats! Now that she said yes, you can show her this thread.
    Geesh ... you sure long distance isn't an option? At all?

A few years ago I moved countries for work. The (then) girlfriend was going to join me in this but then backed out. There was a "oh damn ... so what do we do now? Break up?" moment. Then we decided to see how it went and gave ourselves a 1 year trial period.

It was fine. We did have the benefit of a good connection to airports with low cost carriers. A return trip was about 40-70 depending on when you booked. Getting to and from the airport at each side was about 30 minutes and the flight 1 hour. So it was perfectly feasible to take a flight Friday evening and go home Sunday evening and spend a weekend.
    We saw each other every second weekend and ended up doing this fro 3 years.
    Sadly we had no long term option of where to settle together, so we did break up in the end.

Might not be an option for you though. Commiserations.
  • beastmaster 10 Oct 2012 10:37:48 11,183 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone ever been to one of those Match events they have. I imagine they would be quite something.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• sport 10 Oct 2012 10:41:34 12,561 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Anyone ever been to one of those Match events they have. I imagine they would be quite something.
    Went to one, but got thrown out when I didn't have any keys to put in the bowl :-(
  • sport 10 Oct 2012 13:01:09 12,561 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well today is dark day my friends. A dark day indeed.

Gorgeous Creative Contract girl has gotten engaged. They move pretty fast in jewish world.

Just goes to show, having the body of Adonis doesn't always get the girl!

Edited by sport at 13:07:42 10-10-2012
  • Page

of 330 First / Last