The Sims 3 Thread

• Page

of 36 First / Last

Previous
  • dirigiblebill 6 Dec 2008 11:51:22 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Allow me to kick-start the Sims 3 discussion with some abso-fucking-lutely blatant self-promotion:

Kikizo interview with Ben Bell, Executive Producer

Couple of snippets:

...let's say love the Sopranos and you want to put Tony Soprano in the game, see what it would be like to live alongside Tony Soprano. You can put him in the game, make him "Mean-Spirited", make him evil, give him the "Kleptomaniac" trait, and then you can see what his life is like - give him the "Criminal" career. He'll come over to your house, yell at you, threaten you, because he has the Mean-Spirited trait, if you're not looking he's going to snatch your stuff... so you get to see what life is like living next to a homicidal criminal.

I found some of the stuff he had to say about videogame story-telling quite intriguing:

...you'll find that when people talk about their characters, sometimes they'll talk about them in third person, sometimes they'll talk about them in first person - they'll switch point of view like an author would. It's really interesting.

Apparently you don't have to mollycoddle your creations as much as in previous Sims:

...if you choose to focus on one Sim in that household, the other Sims will just maintain, they'll be OK. They're not going to pass out, they're not going to die, they're not going to freak out, they're not going to go to the bathroom on the floor. So what you can do as a player is just focus on your story, take your Sim where you want them to go, sort of fulfil their destiny.

There's a free extra town to download at launch, too. Hope some of that's worth reading :)
  • jellyhead 6 Dec 2008 12:06:33 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't understand The Sims, great article but there's just some part of me that doesn't see the appeal. I played the first one for a few hours, commited some atrocious crimes against humanity and got bored.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• dirigiblebill 6 Dec 2008 12:16:02 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's more a question of time for me. I quite enjoy a spot of lifestyle management, but I like my instant thrills too. One thing I should have asked was whether they had ever considered giving the player control over how fast the Sims develop...
  • Nasty 31 Dec 2008 11:04:04 4,748 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pre-ordered this morning.

For my daughter of course.
  • merkdot 31 Dec 2008 11:05:56 1,836 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    if I can make the women lez up, I'll buy it
  • Nasty 31 Dec 2008 11:10:12 4,748 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    clamshelling has been in the Sims for a while
  • Hunam 31 Dec 2008 11:14:01 20,674 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you wanted, you could just control every character in the town, kill off all the men and then lez all the women up into some sort of lesbian paradise.
  • Nasty 31 Dec 2008 11:15:42 4,748 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    If you wanted, you could just control every character in the town, kill off all the men and then lez all the women up into some sort of lesbian paradise.

/jots down First thing to do with Sims 3 when kids go to bed...
  • FixedInfinity 31 Dec 2008 12:23:09 1,682 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will be interesting to see how this runs.
    Sims 2 seemed to chug along regardless of the machine it was running on...
  • Whizzo 31 Dec 2008 12:24:53 43,195 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A complete rewrite of how the engine works would hopefully sort that because the performance hasn't really improved as much as should considering how much better PCs are now than when TS2 was released.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bloodloss 22 May 2009 02:36:07 4,499 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like? From what I've... heard, it seems like the Sims 2.4 really. Traits are nice, but meh. The main thing feature I liked other than the lack of loading now and the open neighbourhood is that you could apparently properly put your created characters into the neighbourhood and they develop on their own. But if you are to look through a window into their house they'll just be standing there doing fuck all :/
  • iokthemonkey 22 May 2009 12:55:56 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So is the build/furnishing content as lacking and reliant on micro-transactions as some are saying?

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• M83J01P97 31 May 2009 11:53:42 6,672 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any news on when we might be seeing some reviews?
  • JoeBlade 31 May 2009 12:14:36 2,584 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What are the other main novelties - besides the 'live' neighbourhood thing and traits, that is?
    If that's the extent of the changes then this game does begin to sound an awful lot like a revamped Sims 2 rather than a proper new game... Guess it'll sell boatloads regardless though.
  • Deleted user 31 May 2009 12:18:52
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Any news on when we might be seeing some reviews?

My review code arrived yesterday, so at least a week I guess. But given mine might have done a tour round the postal network you may see some reviews earlier this week,
  • M83J01P97 31 May 2009 12:21:42 6,672 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, I would have thought with an EA game and the Sims especially, we would be seeing lots of reviews by now... Although it is the sort of game that's going to sell with or without reviews of any kind.
  • urban 31 May 2009 12:56:40 10,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    What are the other main novelties - besides the 'live' neighbourhood thing and traits, that is?
    If that's the extent of the changes then this game does begin to sound an awful lot like a revamped Sims 2 rather than a proper new game... Guess it'll sell boatloads regardless though.

i swiped a review copy from a journo who does not care for the sims in the SLIGHTEST and asked me to describe it to him so he can do the write up and i gotta tell thee...

Best sims yet imo, which it obviously should be, but the new addition of "promises" is excellent, 4 spaces for promises and a big space for new ideas of promises and its basically your sim telling you "i want to do this..." be it chatting to your missus or fucking her, upgrading the shower (manually fixing it so it cleans itself) or becoming better at the guitar, basically everything in the game can be promised to do for your sim and you get points for doing it which you can spend to buy new traits.

its what the sims has always needed a bit of direction which you can do or not do as you please but it really connects with the gameplay well.

interactions with other sims and objects has been made a lot more complex and sometimes you even struggle to find the interaction you're looking for.

the ability to learn songs and recipes and read a slew of books has extended the content really well too, naming your sci fi novel "aliens fucking aliens" can be fun and naming a star you discovered "cunting ball of gas" and then talking to someone about "cunting ball of gas" - brings out the child giggle in me.

basically i'd recommend everyone atleast have a blast on it because it is a AAA title.
  • MrCarrot 31 May 2009 14:24:54 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:
    i swiped a review copy from a journo who does not care for the sims in the SLIGHTEST and asked me to describe it to him so he can do the write up and i gotta tell thee...

It's Ed Zitron, isn't it? >:(
  • JoeBlade 31 May 2009 15:55:55 2,584 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urban wrote:
    the ability to learn songs and recipes and read a slew of books has extended the content really well too, naming your sci fi novel "aliens fucking aliens" can be fun and naming a star you discovered "cunting ball of gas" and then talking to someone about "cunting ball of gas" - brings out the child giggle in me.
    Cunting Ball of Gas you say? That's me sold then!
  • HitchHiker 1 Jun 2009 14:23:16 2,777 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's in the post already, nice one HMV.
  • magicpanda 1 Jun 2009 15:02:40 13,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The review is spot on imo, especially about the build mode being the centre piece.

Cant wait for release day. Shame I'll lose all the work I've done over the last week or so as I've come up with some great stuff but without the leak I wouldn't have given this a second glance. It's become one of the most addictive "10 more minutes.... oh bugger it's 3am" games I've played in recent months and it's one that sticks in the head when you're not playing.

I'm echoing the review again but anyone worried about this being driven by micro transactions shouldn't worry too much there's definitely enough content in the box to keep you going well beyond the lifespan of your average game.

Going to give it one last bash tonight before uninstalling for release. I want to try out my starvation chamber for the random sims that walked off with over 20k worth of virtual reality googles from my community lot. Cunts the lot of them. They wont be laughing after 3 days in a padded cell swimming in their own piss and shit.
  • iokthemonkey 1 Jun 2009 16:04:08 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What worries me is it sounds seriously un-mod-able. Rod Humble sidesteps the whole custom content/modding community in every interview I've read and it looks like the options to reskin your Sims, for example, are very limited.

And of course, there's the SecuROM evasiveness, too...

• iokthemonkey 1 Jun 2009 16:13:57 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    The review is spot on imo, especially about the build mode being the centre piece.

Cant wait for release day. Shame I'll lose all the work I've done over the last week or so as I've come up with some great stuff but without the leak I wouldn't have given this a second glance. It's become one of the most addictive "10 more minutes.... oh bugger it's 3am" games I've played in recent months and it's one that sticks in the head when you're not playing.

I'm echoing the review again but anyone worried about this being driven by micro transactions shouldn't worry too much there's definitely enough content in the box to keep you going well beyond the lifespan of your average game.

Going to give it one last bash tonight before uninstalling for release. I want to try out my starvation chamber for the random sims that walked off with over 20k worth of virtual reality googles from my community lot. Cunts the lot of them. They wont be laughing after 3 days in a padded cell swimming in their own piss and shit.

Just remember to add a music source they can't reach and ensure it's left running whenever they're trying to sleep.

• MetalDog 1 Jun 2009 16:19:36 23,736 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I took friday off to welcome this game home and my blasted relatives choose this thursday to return to crash at my place over the weekend. Nooooooooo!

Dammit! A friday off work should be underpants time, not guests crammed into your bedroom looking over your shoulder time!

/contemplates feigning death.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Tiger_Walts 1 Jun 2009 16:43:52 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I find sitting around in my underpants gets rid of unwanted visitors. :D

Great interview Ed.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• magicpanda 1 Jun 2009 16:59:47 13,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See this is where the game gets me. I'm sitting here when I should be working devising a plan to cull the entire male population from the game.

An extension of the deathchamber I mentioned earlier. The plan is for my "House of Lesbilvania" (4 hot women with Charisma and Flirt traits) to throw parties for the male population. I can use my sims to lure the males into the box move my sim out. Pause game, delete the door. etc

Will need some kind of double air lock system to prevent runners.

Will be a bit like a greenhouse with all glass walls. Maybe on the top floor of the house.
  • THFourteen 1 Jun 2009 17:01:17 33,857 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I took friday off to welcome this game home and my blasted relatives choose this thursday to return to crash at my place over the weekend. Nooooooooo!

Dammit! A friday off work should be underpants time, not guests crammed into your bedroom looking over your shoulder time!

/contemplates feigning death.

lol yeah sounds like a nightmare

i remember once phoning my mum up she goes "what are you doing on monday?" (bank holiday) so i said "not much really i was plannign to stay in and play games".... so she says "oh good you aren't doing anything, i've invited 100 aunties round and you can come and see them

NOT DOING ANYTHING?! i was planning to PLAY GAMES!
  • urban 1 Jun 2009 17:11:53 10,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    its EA guys, ofcourse they're gunna find a way to make money off of the fact people like to mod/skin their games.

bastids.
  • iokthemonkey 1 Jun 2009 17:13:17 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    See this is where the game gets me. I'm sitting here when I should be working devising a plan to cull the entire male population from the game.

An extension of the deathchamber I mentioned earlier. The plan is for my "House of Lesbilvania" (4 hot women with Charisma and Flirt traits) to throw parties for the male population. I can use my sims to lure the males into the box move my sim out. Pause game, delete the door. etc

Will need some kind of double air lock system to prevent runners.

Will be a bit like a greenhouse with all glass walls. Maybe on the top floor of the house.

A good idea is also to leave a load of food lying around in the chamber and let it go to rot. Then once imprisoned, wait to see if they eat it. It'll certainly bring them down though (I presume they still have the +/- Environment status bar.)

And plenty of lights and a hifi they can't switch off is a plus.

• magicpanda 1 Jun 2009 17:28:17 13,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Back on the lighter side of things the collectibles in the game are a nice touch, meteorite rocks, gold and gems that can be smelted and cut. Different Insects and Fish as well.

Once I have my proper game on the go I'll make a nice little community museum.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last

Previous