What are you currently playing? Page 209

• Page

of 238 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2013 17:07:38 14,641 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've given Farming Simulator a go and it's a bit rubbish and so I've moved on to The Darkness II, which isn't. So far at any rate.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• rockavitch 29 Sep 2013 20:26:12 263 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally giving Skyrim a go.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeRockavitch ... from a distance of course ... No fat chicks ...

• Trafford 30 Sep 2013 08:20:27 5,270 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2.
    A new one for me, took the plunge when I saw the Dynasty Warriors/ Ninety Nine Nights gameplay. It's all a bit bonkers.
  • King_Edward 2 Oct 2013 19:40:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fifa 14 and it is quite possibly the worst football game I've ever owned. The menu's are painfully laggy and the gap pressing a button and getting a response in a match is now closer to seconds than milliseconds.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 00:45:25 2,566 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I don't think I'll ever see the "cartoonish travesty" that you saw in ME3, but alright.
    Without wanting to stretch this matter (well, what am I doing now, so talk about hypocrisy), it starts at the very beginning. The text in ME3's introduction already states that the Reapers kill all organic life in the galaxy every 50,000 years. Since we haven't evolved in 50,000 years, that is utter rubbish. And it's true for the rest of the game. Pathetic cliched crap, with the ending being only the icing on the cake.

I was once a ME1 fanboy and ME2 thrasher, but ME2 is really great in its way, especially in its character interaction/team building. ME1 had the advantage of telling you that epic main story for the first time. ME3 is a fucking great game gameplay-wise, but its story part lacks any thought or finesse. It's just naff. It's no incident that the original writer left after ME2. Mass Effect was always about story, and ME3 falls awfully short on that.

The ending, always criticised for being the worst about ME3, was of course a part of the story too. But contrary to what many claim, it didn't go wrong just at the end.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2013 01:37:42 6,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I don't think I'll ever see the "cartoonish travesty" that you saw in ME3, but alright.
    Without wanting to stretch this matter (well, what am I doing now, so talk about hypocrisy), it starts at the very beginning. The text in ME3's introduction already states that the Reapers kill all organic life in the galaxy every 50,000 years. Since we haven't evolved in 50,000 years, that is utter rubbish. And it's true for the rest of the game. Pathetic cliched crap, with the ending being only the icing on the cake.
    Well, I might add that we also haven't haven't traveled in space and built giant mass arrays and space stations and gained membership to intergalactic councils either, but then I never saw ME as intending to portray human history accurately. It's probably a bit stupid, sure, but I can take it if I'm enjoying myself.

If that's your example of a travesty, then I dread to think of what you'd say about a story that is actually shit. Worse than Hitler, probably.

At any rate, even if the overarching story in ME1 (or 2 or 3) is a bit naff, for me it's all about the characters in it. For me, ME3 was worth it just to see Tal'i and Garrus again. And Wrex.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:53:37 03-10-2013
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 01:52:08 2,566 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Well, I might add that we also haven't haven't travelled in space and used giant mass arrays and space stations and gained membership to intergalactic councils either, but then I never saw ME as intending to portray human history accurately.

That's true of course, but ME, like Star Trek, plays in a hypothetical, and maybe possible, future. Humans evolving from carbon hydrates within 50,000 years is utter rubbish though. It's more like a creationist sort of view, actually.

If that's your example of a travesty, then I dread to think of what you'd say about a story that is actually shit.
    Well, no one probably wants to hear my opinion on almost anything, especially movies and stuff. I have opinions of course, but really, no one wants to hear them, least of all you or anyone else here.

Worse than Hitler, probably.
    I do think you're (although inadvertently, of course) leaving reasonable debate there.

At any rate, even if the overarching story in ME1 (or 2 or 3) is a bit naff, for me it's all about the characters in it. For me, ME3 was worth it just to see Tal'i and Garrus again. And Wrex.
    I agree, that was cool. But seeing them again was the best ME3 had to offer in terms of story.

The bad was that... well, anything relating to the story in any way whatsoever. Far beyond Hitler.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:58:41 03-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2013 01:55:15 6,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    :D

ME3 GASSED MY FAMILY
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 02:00:27 2,566 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

ME3 GASSED MY FAMILY
    You do know that, being German, I can't really join this level of debate?
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 02:04:11 2,566 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

If that's your example of a travesty, then I dread to think of what you'd say about a story that is actually shit. Worse than Hitler, probably.
    In all honesty though, maybe not worse than Hitler (or in some cases, equal to Hitler, but not worse), but 99% of game stories are fucking crap and should be gassed. That's the problem though. Mass Effect (and to some extent, ME2) was superb on story, and ME3 was worse than dog diarrhea.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2013 02:13:08 6,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

ME3 GASSED MY FAMILY
    You do know that, being German, I can't really join this level of debate?
    Ah, sorry about that.

/sidles away quietly
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Oct 2013 08:12:18 8,748 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    @eccosse

I'll predict that you blitz your way through The Depths only to give up in frustration when you hit Blighttown...!
    Blighttown is my bitch!
    I've since finished Sen's Fortress and went back to Blighttown to garb loot in the great Hollow where I got cursed so I'm now on my way back to get the curse released and get stuck into Anor Lando \o/

I've also started playing Bioshock Infinite again and I'm enjoying it much more than before.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• -cerberus- 3 Oct 2013 08:22:44 2,099 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lone Survivor, Rain and Giana Sisters: Rise of the Owlverlord. I'm having a blast :)

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2013 08:45:18 3,546 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dishonoured on PS3. Had a loan of this when it was first out and didn't think too much, but picked it up from a fellow EG'er on the swapsies thread recently, started anew and am having an absolute blast with it. Love how there's a few different ways to tackle most situations (even some of the main missions give you alternatives), and by jove does the game look bloody lovely. It quite clearly wears its Bioshock and Deus Ex influences on its sleeve, but it's a much better stealth game than DE, and is straight up more fun to play than Bioshock.
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2013 08:55:12 17,913 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Touch my Katamari and Killzone Mercenary (talk about polar opposites!) on the PS Vita

Rift on PC

GTA V on PS3. I've also got LBP Karting and Great Ghana Sisters ready.

The Cave NSMB (WiiU) and Skylanders Giants (PS3) with the kids. They also play Nintendogs and cats, and various demos on their 3DSes.

PSN ID: Djini

• Trafford 3 Oct 2013 09:30:06 5,270 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Lone Survivor,
    Yeah me too, I can only manage about an hour a night before I crack up. So intense.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 13:57:30
    Just finished playing the uncharted series.

If anyone ever said what's the equivalent of the Hollywood blockbuster in games, this series is truly it. The story isn't amazing, but the character development and over the top action keeps you pushing along at a good pace. Love the fighting controls, shooting is a little off, but nothing too troublesome once you get use to it.
  • mikew1985 3 Oct 2013 14:46:09 12,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What were your thoughts on 2 versus 3 as a matter of interest?

I, like most, much preferred 2 but it would be interesting to hear what you think given you've tackled all the games in a more condensed period of time.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Oct 2013 14:56:43 8,748 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    Just finished playing the uncharted series.

If anyone ever said what's the equivalent of the Hollywood blockbuster in games, this series is truly it. The story isn't amazing, but the character development and over the top action keeps you pushing along at a good pace. Love the fighting controls, shooting is a little off, but nothing too troublesome once you get use to it.
    The acting is better than most Hollywood Blockbusters :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 3 October 2013 16:33:27
    mikew1985 wrote:
    What were your thoughts on 2 versus 3 as a matter of interest?

I, like most, much preferred 2 but it would be interesting to hear what you think given you've tackled all the games in a more condensed period of time.
    Hmm...tough one. All 3 are good, but if I had to choice. I'd probably go with the 2nd one too.

There's some really good scenes in there and the story felt like it carried more weight. The double cross, Nathan sort of being stuck in the middle of Chloe and Elena, and of course Chloe's story. You never quite know whether you should trust her or not and Naughty Dog did a good job of not turning her character into a cliché where she turns against Nathan or dies a hero sort of thing.

The 3rd one had all the right setup (really liked the fighting and sneaking system) etc, but the story kinda drifted. Nathan and Elena's story was done brilliantly well once again, and they gave you just enough to realise what happened between the 2nd and 3rd game and it clearly effected both of them deeply. I loved how they made this one a more personal story about Nathan and Sully, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere.

Right at the end, there was a brief moment where Sully talks to Nathan and I was hoping we'd get some answers or at least for Sully to open up a little bit, but it didn't happen.

Again, all 3 are very good though, the complaints about 3 are only minor in an otherwise good game.

I can't help but think if Uncharted 4 happens it should start with Nathan finally settling down with Elena, before something happens.

Edited by SG59 at 16:35:49 03-10-2013
  • Rodney 4 Oct 2013 05:43:33 1,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WRC 3. Totally underrated game. Its has everything that most people seem to criticize Dirt for missing; long stages, narrow windy tracks, arcade/sim handling, proper rally championship career mode.

The graphics are good enough and handling is a lot fun and a good balance between arcade and sim.

The difficulty is balanced about right and some stages are quite challenging. The only problem is, being competitive on some stages really requires learning the track layout which is difficult in a game with hundreds of kilometers of tracks.

The menus are a bit laggy and the music is obnoxious but the actual racing, or rallying, is brilliant.
    my favorite racer this gen

Edited by Rodney at 05:45:15 04-10-2013
  • Rodney 4 Oct 2013 05:46:20 1,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Windy as in lots of corners, not the weather. Are they spelt the same?
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2013 06:19:15 7,274 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently playing Jak2 on Vita.

I am not hating it as much as TG but I have to agree with all of his criticisms.

Fortunately I will not be trying to get all the trophies which will remove a chunk of the larger annoyances.
  • JiveHound 4 Oct 2013 06:31:25 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tell you what I'm not playing.

Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Ordered it from Amazon using their Prime next day service on Tuesday and I'm yet to see the game.

I am however playing Diablo 3 couch co op and Ocarina of Time on the 3ds.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• hypoBla5t 4 Oct 2013 07:57:03 1,267 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My current trio:

GTAV (obviously)

Etrian Odyssey IV (brilliant, only been playing for a week but going to have to hurry up otherwise it'll probably be left unfinished when Pokémon X comes out)

Diablo III (local co-op with the old ball & chain, her first RPG and she loves it)
  • Madder-Max 4 Oct 2013 12:08:34 11,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTAV of course ....since launch day.

Think I had a quick blast on black ops 2 a week or so ago, which I'm thoroughly enjoying after a year of steep learning curvishness. I think the trick to black ops 2 is to stick to 5 or 6 maps, learn them inside out (choke points, lines of sight, generic player behaviors) and stick to objective game modes. I always play domination. Also choose boosty score streaks. Uav which will boost the streak to an easy care package which acts like a second boost and then whatever after that. Usually agr, drone or stealth chopper.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Madder-Max 4 Oct 2013 12:11:49 11,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Windy as in lots of corners, not the weather. Are they spelt the same?
    Should be 'winding'

/Tuts

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DrStrangelove 4 Oct 2013 19:23:35 2,566 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Binding of Isaac. I think I already stated why. But it's just superior to anything else.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 19:31:17
    Rodney wrote:
    WRC 3. Totally underrated game. Its has everything that most people seem to criticize Dirt for missing; long stages, narrow windy tracks, arcade/sim handling, proper rally championship career mode.

The graphics are good enough and handling is a lot fun and a good balance between arcade and sim.

The difficulty is balanced about right and some stages are quite challenging. The only problem is, being competitive on some stages really requires learning the track layout which is difficult in a game with hundreds of kilometers of tracks.

The menus are a bit laggy and the music is obnoxious but the actual racing, or rallying, is brilliant.
    my favorite racer this gen
    Such an underrated game I agree. Can't believe EG gave it 6/10 or whatever. It shits all over Dirt, the handling and courses are much better. Dirt is so crap compared to the CMR glory days.

I found to also be 10x better than the recent couple of F1 games, which scored better.

Have no idea why the hell it reviewed badly. Even my girlfriend likes the game, and she generally only likes pure arcade racers.
  • Page

of 238 First / Last