The End of the Tether Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• nickthegun 27 Jan 2009 10:51:54 68,712 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was relieved as buggery, especially as the midwife initially made a 'your bump is quite big, you never know' throwaway comment.

I just cant imagine it. I was shitting my pants that this virus was actually another pregnancy.
  • Pirotic Moderator 27 Jan 2009 10:52:40 20,639 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    someone's always worse off than you remember.
  • DocX 27 Jan 2009 10:53:38 1,963 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well this all sounds very familiar :) Who has to get up first thing in the morning is still a major cause of resentment in our household. Recently though our son has taken to getting in bed with us and going back to sleep if he wakes up really early. He's in nursery for most of the week and the missus views Fridays (when she isn't in work) as some sort of day off for her, where i see it as a 'well do some bloody housework then' day. We've talked about it, but I still grin and bear it most of the time as it's not really worth the arguements.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 27 Jan 2009 10:54:26 87,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd put a notice up in the post office and sell some to the neighbours.
  • nickthegun 27 Jan 2009 10:54:31 68,712 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wiki says: There is a slight chance you will need more nappies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_(Biological)#Predisposing_factors
  • otto Moderator 27 Jan 2009 10:55:41 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Deebs I think the consensus is that being a twin makes it more likely that you will have twins yourself; but not much more likely.

A confession, and my wife won't be happy if she ever sees this, but in all honesty there's a primal part of my brain that rubs its hands in gleeful anticipation whenever we have a johnny failure. Ridiculous as the last thing on earth that we need or want is another baby.
  • nickthegun 27 Jan 2009 10:58:01 68,712 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If we were a bit more stable, I would shoot for a 5-a-side team, but with things the way they are we would be totally fucked if she became pregnant again.
  • Nasty 27 Jan 2009 10:59:08 4,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If we were a bit more stable, I would shoot for a 5-a-side team, but with things the way they are we would be totally fucked if she became pregnant again.

I just need a Goalie :D
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 27 Jan 2009 10:59:58 87,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the idea of twins, I just wish they weren't born until they were about three.
  • pjmaybe 27 Jan 2009 11:00:58 70,666 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :)
  • Lutz 27 Jan 2009 11:03:26 48,872 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm... my mum is a non-identical twin... and there's 2 sets of twins in the Mrs' family, albiet quite distant...

Hmm...

Instant family! \o/
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 27 Jan 2009 11:06:16 87,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh crap, my mum's sisters are twins.

Fkit, I don't care as long as they're healthy and happy.
  • nickthegun 27 Jan 2009 11:13:31 68,712 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!

Just make sure you dont do what one of my wifes best friends husband did.

"Congratulations! Its twins! Twin boys by the looks of it"
    "Great.....im.....im just going to pop out for some fags......."

Fucking coward that he is. She gets a massive hormone rush because its twins and is a bit of a bitch, he decides he cant cope and runs off to london after *begging* her to have babies.

Now she is 3 weeks away from dropping 2 boys and is crapping it because she is, effectively, on her own.
  • Murbs 27 Jan 2009 11:15:25 23,509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!

Just make sure you dont do what one of my wifes best friends husband did.

"Congratulations! Its twins! Twin boys by the looks of it"
    "Great.....im.....im just going to pop out for some fags......."

Fucking coward that he is. She gets a massive hormone rush because its twins and is a bit of a bitch, he decides he cant cope and runs off to london after *begging* her to have babies.

Now she is 3 weeks away from dropping 2 boys and is crapping it because she is, effectively, on her own.

What a f***ing arse.
  • jonsaan 27 Jan 2009 11:18:20 26,533 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow. Cheer up chaps! I know how you feel I really do, but you are all incredibly blessed and the reward outdoes the toil in the end. It always does:)

The hardest thing about having kids I find, is that NOTHING is predictable. You can't think 'Oh, the kids will be in bed by 8pm so I can play Banjo for 2 hours'. Something will happen and nothing pans out like you planned it. I mean, when I got home last night I thought, great, a nice bath, bit of tv and sleep. Instead I fed the kids, played power rangers and lego till 7 pm, watched a bit of you've been framed, put the kids to bed with stories and was then too tired to play games!:(

It can be really frustrating not being able to do what you want. I find it is sometimes easier to empty your mind and just roll with the way the days pan out. Makes for a much calmer jonsaan.
  • jonsaan 27 Jan 2009 11:18:48 26,533 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and spare a thought for that American woman who gave birth to EIGHT kids :)!!!!!

EDIT: AH! beaten too it!
  • otto Moderator 27 Jan 2009 11:18:50 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bloke in our ante-natal class topped himself a week after their baby was born. :(

Seemed such a fun couple, obviously the jokiness was papering over something.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 27 Jan 2009 11:20:07 87,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your friend's best mate is pathetic scum, but he'll probably come crawling back when the coast is clear. When it comes to making a decision you would regret for the rest of my life and be alone to deal with it, or stand up and take it and have the support of your friends and family, there's only one choice.

Otto, that's fucking terrible...

Might be time to return the topic to it's rightful place.
  • Pirotic Moderator 27 Jan 2009 11:24:54 20,639 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Bloke in our ante-natal class topped himself a week after their baby was born. :(

Seemed such a fun couple, obviously the jokiness was papering over something.

That's just.. such a fucking shame. :( poor family
  • otto Moderator 27 Jan 2009 11:25:00 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah I wonder how Horace is getting on.
  • Lutz 27 Jan 2009 11:27:05 48,872 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hope he's not gone too squiffy.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 27 Jan 2009 11:28:02 87,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes indeed.
  • nickthegun 27 Jan 2009 11:46:48 68,712 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, thanks to the cathartic nature of me moaning my fucking arse off in this thread, I just phoned the mrs and apologised for being a grumpy old sod this morning and she apologised for turfing me out of bed.

We had a quick clear the air chat and she is going to cook me chili for tea. Now thats a happy ending worthy of Disney.
  • Lutz 27 Jan 2009 11:47:42 48,872 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    /twittering birds
    /ray of sunshine
  • Goban 27 Jan 2009 12:18:05 9,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Similar period for me over the past two weeks.

Both Wife and Kiddie down with flue, me doing pretty much all childcare and home duties as well as trying to run our business and some serious deadlines for my other job. I'm pretty tired a lot of the time due to health reasons but at the moment I'm utterly shagged. I've been sleeping in the spare bedroom during this whole period, so last night I return to the marital bed finally and have a decent, if short, nights sleep. Get up to do my childcare morning shift and leave my wife to sleep till 9. Bring her a cup of tea in bed and she bites my head off because I kept her awake all night. Grrrrrrrrrr!
  • DaM 27 Jan 2009 13:53:24 16,271 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Seems like there is a common theme developing here!

Basically, we are all underappreciatedwonderfathers.

I'm going away for the day tomorrow and getting so much abuse for it.
    "How am I meant to get all 3 children ready???!!!"

Well I manage it every day....

To be fair, I think going back to work is the easy option by far, especially if the baby is crying all day.

Touch wood, but I am hoping our new one has turned the corner. Just turned 3 months, he has had a very bad cold for the past week, and struggles to breathe as soon as you put him down. But he slept from 9.30pm-5.30am on Sunday, and only woke up once between 7.30pm and 6.30am last night.

It's the settling at night that has been difficult, maybe colic.
  • guts 27 Jan 2009 14:17:01 1,692 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phew, this brings back memories. You just have to weather the storm I'm afraid. My missus still likes to think I did nothing to help when ours was little. I used to get up at 6, do the morning feed/burp/change and get her back to sleep. Get dressed and washed myself, go to work for eight hours in a plant/tool hire workshop which was a very manual job. Go home, cook some dinner, do the washing up, feed/burp/change baby. Look after baby while missus got a bity of sleep, (last, yeah right) feed/burp/bath and bedtime for baby, make up bottles for next day and then might get an hour or so on the x-box in between helping with laundry, cleaning etc before the last attention call for baby. Then I would go to bed at about 12.30 for a few hours sleep before it all started again. I also worked sat mornings, but would take over when I got home to give missus a rest. But seeing as I am just a useless bloody man and didn't have to carry her for nine months I didn't actually do anything except play computor games and watch telly. If you asked the wife though, you would probably get a different story but he ho, that's life. It was a starin as people that have seen my other posts will appreciate but now, Em has jsut turned eight and we have a superb relationship and are a great little family. Would love another kid but money doesn't really give us that option. Live in a small two bed flat and probably won't be able to upgrade for a while. Missus is a bit broody but I alwyas remind her, one of my closest friends has a brother ten years younger than him, so it's not out of the question. Then we can do it all again which I sort of hope happens, but maybe with a bit more wisdom next time around.
  • otto Moderator 27 Jan 2009 14:21:12 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lots to be said for a big gap between kiddies. \o/
  • Goban 27 Jan 2009 14:23:27 9,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a grumpy bugger a lot of the time, which my wife takes the brunt of. I think our daughter uses up most of my silliness quota for the day, which is a shame.
  • guts 27 Jan 2009 15:29:28 1,692 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use most of my silliness quota with Em in asda on a saturday afternoon, which really pleases the missus.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.