Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RichieTenenbaum 12 Sep 2011 18:55:44 2,223 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/28/mark-kermode-multiplex-blockbuster

Oh Kermode, I love you so

Just read this article, I think Kermode is right that people excuse some truly diabolical movies (cough, POTC4) on the grounds that they're 'just' blockbusters, but then there are also a lot of people who work hard during the day and just want an easy night out when they go to the cinema, and there's nothing wrong with catering to that desire for 'brainless' fun. In an ideal world they would be better movies regardless, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss a huge percentage of the mainstream viewing audience just because they don't want anything remotely challenging, regardless of how much money those movies make. And for what it's worth, I'm a film critic who didn't hate POTC3.

You're not a critic. You're a reviewer.
  • xandaca 14 Sep 2011 17:09:54 444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

Just read this article, I think Kermode is right that people excuse some truly diabolical movies (cough, POTC4) on the grounds that they're 'just' blockbusters, but then there are also a lot of people who work hard during the day and just want an easy night out when they go to the cinema, and there's nothing wrong with catering to that desire for 'brainless' fun. In an ideal world they would be better movies regardless, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss a huge percentage of the mainstream viewing audience just because they don't want anything remotely challenging, regardless of how much money those movies make. And for what it's worth, I'm a film critic who didn't hate POTC3.

I'm one of those philistines who think reviewing falls under the banner of criticism, I'm afraid. Since film modules were part of my English degree, I've done academic film analysis anyway, so technically meet both criteria.
  • darkmorgado 14 Sep 2011 17:13:16 15,566 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

I'm one of those philistines who think reviewing falls under the banner of criticism, I'm afraid. Since film modules were part of my English degree, I've done academic film analysis anyway, so technically meet both criteria.

I did French at school. I am therefore French.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• urban 14 Sep 2011 17:19:32 10,978 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No! He's a Twerp!
  • nickthegun 14 Sep 2011 17:19:54 60,516 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did PSE at school and now im an AIDS suffering pedophile who knows how to manage money.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 4 Oct 2011 09:11:49 60,516 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funnily enough, the only time ive seen him in the flesh, he didnt speak. He was playing bass in that skiffle band at a horror festival.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Blakester 4 Oct 2011 11:35:29 3,636 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love Kermode, but he can get fucked if he thinks I'm shelling out the best part of 12 for his new book.

I'm aware it's cheaper online, but I don't see how the RRP can be justified for a paperback?

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• silentbob 4 Oct 2011 11:40:25 29,016 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:
    No! He's a Twat!
    ..for historical accuracy.

Can whichever cunting mod, changed the cunting title/meaning of this cunting thread, change it the cunt back please?

Or not, whatever.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• craigy Staff 4 Oct 2011 11:51:43 7,722 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recommend the book tour then, frod? He's coming down my way next week and wasn't sure whether to go. Not sure whether I can handle his shouty rants in the fleisch.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2011 12:05:53
    frod. wrote:
    Saw the big man on his book tour at the Hyde Park Picture House yesterday. Most entertaining.

Ah, balls, missed this! :-(
  • roz123 14 Oct 2011 11:22:35 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed the interview about Tyrannosaur this week, sounds like a great film thats difficult to watch. I am going to try and see it this weekend if I can find a screening. Apparently its an amazing performance from Olivia Colman (Sophie from Peep Show) both her and Peter Mullan won acting awards at Sundance and reviews have been full of praise.

Well except for the Daily Mails Chris Tookey whose opinion should never be listened to. He thought Kick Ass was perverted because of Hit Girl and in this review spouts some more nonsense about how a women who is abused by one man would never end up with another who is also abusive. My girlfriend worked in an off licence and there was one regular (massive alcoholic) who was exactly like this, she would come in with bruises from domestic abuse with one bloke, she left him and found someone else who also abused her. I think when the first bloke got out of prison she went back to him.
  • craigy Staff 14 Oct 2011 11:44:57 7,722 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that was nice. Kermode is great when guests are in the studio, as he tends to keep his shouty ego in check. Am off to see Tyrannosaur tonight. Bit scared.
  • Bremenacht 14 Oct 2011 13:17:54 18,761 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Funnily enough, the only time ive seen him in the flesh, he didnt speak. He was playing bass in that skiffle band at a horror festival.
    I saw him playing with that band, and he spoke more than they played. Needless to say, it was crap.
  • Genji 14 Oct 2011 13:19:47 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    I really enjoyed the interview about Tyrannosaur this week, sounds like a great film thats difficult to watch. I am going to try and see it this weekend if I can find a screening. Apparently its an amazing performance from Olivia Colman (Sophie from Peep Show) both her and Peter Mullan won acting awards at Sundance and reviews have been full of praise.

Well except for the Daily Mails Chris Tookey whose opinion should never be listened to. He thought Kick Ass was perverted because of Hit Girl and in this review spouts some more nonsense about how a women who is abused by one man would never end up with another who is also abusive. My girlfriend worked in an off licence and there was one regular (massive alcoholic) who was exactly like this, she would come in with bruises from domestic abuse with one bloke, she left him and found someone else who also abused her. I think when the first bloke got out of prison she went back to him.
    Errr... going off on a bit of a tangent there. :)
  • jablonski 14 Oct 2011 14:52:05 4,386 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My God, Kermode has reached new heights of being a prick in the Cillian Murphy interview
  • darkmorgado 14 Oct 2011 14:59:49 15,566 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Yeah, that was nice. Kermode is great when guests are in the studio, as he tends to keep his shouty ego in check. Am off to see Tyrannosaur tonight. Bit scared.

Good luck... It sounds absolutely bloody horrific! I know someone who saw it last weekend and apparently the mood of impotent anger and rage is occasionaly lightened by moments of utter despair.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Deleted user 17 February 2012 11:35:29
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOaDpN6h6wA&feature=g-all-u&c

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 11:36:58 17-02-2012
  • heyyo 17 Feb 2012 11:46:12 14,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    xandaca wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

A reviewer and critic is the same, being critical means to measure the worth of something by analysing, it isn't about only picking flaws it's about bad AND good points
  • RichieTenenbaum 17 Feb 2012 12:06:08 2,223 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're not the same, but hey hoy. Being a critic doesn't mean being critical of something.
  • heyyo 17 Feb 2012 12:34:36 14,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It can mean somebody who weighs up good and bad points to measure the worth, but it can also mean somebody who only picks flaws.

1. A person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something.
    2. A person who judges the merits of literary, artistic, or musical works, esp. one who does so professionally.
  • Tricky 17 Feb 2012 14:19:27 4,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Genuine question: explain to me exactly how they're not the same please?
  • sport 17 Feb 2012 14:25:12 12,776 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    Genuine question: explain to me exactly how they're not the same please?
    That's a tricky question.
  • Genji 19 Feb 2012 11:50:19 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Film critic" and "film reviewer" are basically the same. "Reviewer" seems to be used more often these days, though. Possibly because people have the wrong idea about what a "critic" does (ie. they think that critics have to "criticise", say negative things about movies)

Some critics use more technical language of film criticism, but it's hardly a requirement. Ebert, for example, writes in language that everyone can understand easily, and I don't think anyone would say that he's not a film critic.

Or you could say that the "real" critics are those who are employed as such. But newspapers employ "reviewers" too, and treat them as basically the same. And besides, if getting paid for film criticism is a prerequisite for being allowed to call yourself one, then there are very few film critics these days. It's not at all easy to make a living from it, even if you're one of the lucky few to get paid in the first place.

Anyway, tl;dr. xandaca clearly qualifies as a film reviewer/critic. Just probably not a paid one.

Edited by Genji at 12:07:12 19-02-2012
  • El_MUERkO 19 Feb 2012 11:58:14 17,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not heard anyone call a "Film critic" a "film reviewer" but if I do I will then give them a 'look' which will let them know I now think less of them.
  • RedSparrows 19 Feb 2012 15:58:34 23,333 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In my head, a reviewer is someone who gives their opinion on a film, after some time thinking about it.

A critic is someone who does the same, but views it in context of film theory, other films, mode, time, place bla bla bla

So usually the same person.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last