Mark Kermode is a twerp/legend Page 9

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Jul 2011 14:34:23 6,654 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He's alright.. Comes across as a man child.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2011 23:11:00
    He thought Taken was a load of shite. Therefore I rate him higher than most of the mouth breathers who made it such a massive hit.

Smite me.
  • jablonski 2 Aug 2011 23:20:49 3,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    He thought Taken was a load of shite. Therefore I rate him higher than most of the mouth breathers who made it such a massive hit.

Smite me.

You've got to watch something now your VHS of 'How To Make An American Quilt" has worn down.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2011 23:23:36
    I've still got the Laserdisc on how to use said quilt to smother myself so I'm gravy ta.
  • RichieTenenbaum 2 Aug 2011 23:24:28 2,199 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I actually think his reviews are a lot more insightful then most. I don't always agree with him, but I would take him over any Empire hack. (Apart from Kim Newman)
  • jablonski 2 Aug 2011 23:26:08 3,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He says "You Know What" nearly 16 times a minute.
  • RichieTenenbaum 28 Aug 2011 01:31:33 2,199 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/28/mark-kermode-multiplex-blockbuster

Oh Kermode, I love you so
  • riz23 28 Aug 2011 02:01:38 1,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

That was a great read. Nice spot.

/sleeps
  • urban 28 Aug 2011 08:46:37 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Too fucking long. Get to the bloody point, you may have all day to write this drivel but I certainly don't have all morning to read it Kerm!
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 28 Aug 2011 09:13:47 7,008 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was a rather poor article - whiny, lacking in a point other than 'waaah! People go watch crap films and so they keep getting made'. No suggestions as to how to change the viewing culture, how to promote good quality cinema or how to address this problem of 'dimishing returns'.

EDIT: I should add that I find Kermode irritating in the extreme and so came to this article prejudiced against him! Suffice to say it didn't change my mind that he, once again, mistakes 'ranting' with criticism.
  • urban 28 Aug 2011 09:49:38 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You haven't seen POTC4 yet. By fucking god....
  • dutchspeededup 28 Aug 2011 10:04:40 4,393 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's becoming a dreadful windbag. However, I do think it would behoof some people, especially those who enjoy going to the cinema, to venture beyond the multiplex. I realise this is tricky if you don't live in a city, but at least with LoveFilm you can get to see, albeit on a small screen, some exciting films that will never grace your local Vue.

I read quite a lot of the film threads on here, and it's obvious from things like the annual top ten lists that there are EG cinema fans who are only really seeing multiplex fare. I watch that stuff, but I get a lot from other cinema too.
  • Genji 28 Aug 2011 12:35:28 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, la-di-dah, Mr. Frenchman.
  • jablonski 31 Aug 2011 19:52:44 3,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dutchspeededup wrote:
    He's becoming a dreadful windbag. However, I do think it would behoof some people, especially those who enjoy going to the cinema, to venture beyond the multiplex. I realise this is tricky if you don't live in a city, but at least with LoveFilm you can get to see, albeit on a small screen, some exciting films that will never grace your local Vue.

I read quite a lot of the film threads on here, and it's obvious from things like the annual top ten lists that there are EG cinema fans who are only really seeing multiplex fare. I watch that stuff, but I get a lot from other cinema too.

uh-oh, that attitude doesn't go down well here.
    It's the equivalent of putting your hand up too often to answer questions at school.
  • nickthegun 31 Aug 2011 20:28:59 59,527 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    uh-oh, that attitude doesn't go down well here.
    It's the equivalent of putting your hand up too often to answer questions at school.

Actually, we like a discussion on the finer points of cinema. Its just when people start to act like frustrated college lecturers and come across as total helmets that gets peoples backs up.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 2 Sep 2011 10:25:27 1,899 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As an unapologetic lover of blockbuster fare, sometimes Kermode does get my back up, but he's generally so witty and well-informed that I respect his opinion, and very much enjoy his reviews, despite only agreeing with about 50% of what he says. Plus, I feel it easy to claim the moral and cultural highground over anyone who's favourite film is The Exorcist.

It's not even the best William Friedkin film, Mark! Let it go!
  • Genji 6 Sep 2011 13:33:44 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Perhaps he saw one good bit of it and was asleep for the rest?
  • superflyninja 6 Sep 2011 14:13:05 462 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah kermode just hates POT.end of story.he is a good reviewer in general and i love when he hates what I hate (SATC2 review comes to mind). But the fcuker is sooooooooooooo prejudiced.Tell him the Exorcist was based on a videogame and see what he thinks of it then.
    Ive come to slightly enjoy his pedantic banter with Mayo.

Put away those firey biscuits

• faux_carnation 6 Sep 2011 14:21:31 9,272 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You could vaguely claim that about the first one, but not any of the sequels.
  • xandaca 6 Sep 2011 15:33:44 444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    You could vaguely claim that about the first one, but not any of the sequels.

I remember thinking the third was decent, with at least some of the humour working. But the second and fourth (especially) are dreadful.
  • xandaca 12 Sep 2011 18:08:02 444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

Just read this article, I think Kermode is right that people excuse some truly diabolical movies (cough, POTC4) on the grounds that they're 'just' blockbusters, but then there are also a lot of people who work hard during the day and just want an easy night out when they go to the cinema, and there's nothing wrong with catering to that desire for 'brainless' fun. In an ideal world they would be better movies regardless, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss a huge percentage of the mainstream viewing audience just because they don't want anything remotely challenging, regardless of how much money those movies make. And for what it's worth, I'm a film critic who didn't hate POTC3.
  • mal 12 Sep 2011 18:22:23 22,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, but there's a way to make brainless movies that aren't offensive if you've got your brain half switched on.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ecureuil 12 Sep 2011 18:35:02 76,734 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shame about the title change. The bloke is a total bellend.
  • xandaca 12 Sep 2011 18:52:55 444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Yeah, but there's a way to make brainless movies that aren't offensive if you've got your brain half switched on.

I couldn't agree more. However, Kermode seemed to be arguing that blockbuster filmmaking should be aiming for something close to the Inception model, which is a fantastically innovative and entertaining film, but my point was that sometimes you don't want to work hard to keep track of a twisty narrative or be thrown into a brand new experience. That's not to say we should accept dirge like the latest Pirates or Transformers 3 (worse than the second IMO), as you said, there's definitely an art to the brainlessly fun blockbuster, of which movies like Michael Bay's The Rock or the first Pirates are terrific examples.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last