Electricity & Gas bills Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • localnotail 25 Sep 2013 14:39:27 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just used the Money Saving Expert Cheap Fuel Club service to switch my utilities, was very quick and easy, and free too.

Also, they will email you when your idea of a better tariff is available (you can set the amount saved limit to your personal choice).

Edited by localnotail at 14:40:01 25-09-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• TarickStonefire 25 Sep 2013 15:28:57 3,429 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We signed up for one of EDF's fixed rates a few years ago, expires April 2014. Should we stay with that? There's no way the fixed rates currently will beat it, but when it runs out in April a new fixed rate then will be higher than it is now I'd have thought.

Will be checking the MSECFC thing later, got their email this morning.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• faux-C 25 Sep 2013 16:03:52 9,636 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just switched to an M&S switched energy tariff for 12 months. Was the cheapest one. I didn't even know M&S offered gas & leccy till I looked on uswitch.
  • macmurphy 23 May 2014 13:49:20 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right then.

This seemed the best place for my woes. Was in a one bed flat for eight months. Was there over winter, it had two storage heaters. I take long showers. We were paying about 40 a month for electricity, our final balance was 280. I'm thinking they just underestimated our usage, it's all on a meter so we just take it on the chin that they were undercharging us. There is nothing we can do right? It's pretty standard.

Here's the biggy. For the last couple of months the flush has lasted longer than usual. It would still be draining water for a bit after we flushed. We knew we were moving out so we just ignored it (it's one of those Gucci internal flushes mounted into the wall, I wasn't just too lazy to lift the lid of the cistern). Anyway we were paying about 30 a month and now our final bill is 780. I don't have that, it will pretty much cripple us. Again all metered.

Is there anything I can do? I'm not looking to blame the landlord, I should have flagged it up when it happened and didn't. Thames water are saying it's your fault pay it, they will only adjust for leakage if it is external to the property.

My argument is just that I had no idea how much water was leaking through the toilet system, they never sent anyone out to check the meter, if I had known how bad the problem was I would have fixed it. Clearly the water does not cost them that much, I feel like a mobile customer who accidentally downloads something abroad and gets a 2k bill. Fair one strictly speaking I'm responsible but I had no idea how much I was going to be charged. I'm just going to get seen off by Thames water because they can, I just feel a bit blindsided.

Is there any arbitration process or watchdog I can go through to try and get some money off my bill? Does anybody have any experience with previous? I've basically just been hit with 1k in bills and I'm a bit sad. I think with the power I'm fucked but I'm hoping for ideas about the water really.

I consider the fact I'm a tenant incidental, if I was the landlord I would not expect to pay for a problem my tenants had ignored.
  • askew 23 May 2014 13:52:14 12,719 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No harm in asking were you to explain the situation.

And if they don't budge, you can explain to them that you cannot afford such a bill at this time, but you are willing to pay X amount for X months.

Just don't ignore it ;)
  • estoo 23 May 2014 14:53:51 2,867 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone here used or currently using Utilities Warehouse as a supplier?

My missus' pal was giving us the hard sell on them but the web seems to have highly polarized reviews of them, it almost seems cult like at times.
    I get a bad feeling on instinct but their prices are good if you take out multiple things with them (gas, leccy, broadband, mobile)
  • Steve_Perry 23 May 2014 14:56:04 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had them for gas and electric for a year and to be honest they were good. Fair with estimated bills and the online account management and billing is much better than NPower who I'm currently with (and hate).
  • Madder-Max 23 May 2014 15:35:52 11,687 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been with them for years and never a problem. Decent prices and great customer service

99 problems and being ginger is one

• freddymercurystwin 23 May 2014 16:13:21 521 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Winge, moan, bleat, moan.
    You screwed up, so pay up. Why should I and everyone else supplement your foolhardiness in checking meter readings or getting a faulty ball valve fixed? It wouldn't have even cost you a penny to get it fixed. There is nothing you can do other than pay it, though you will be able to spread the cost over next 12 months ish.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 23 May 2014 16:55:36 825 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    Winge, moan, bleat, moan.
    You screwed up, so pay up. Why should I and everyone else supplement your foolhardiness in checking meter readings or getting a faulty ball valve fixed? It wouldn't have even cost you a penny to get it fixed. There is nothing you can do other than pay it, though you will be able to spread the cost over next 12 months ish.
    Things like this make me mad!
    It's us who end up paying for it in the long term.
    It's like someone who I work with got declared bankrupt for the tune of 120 grand. Didn't have to pay a penny back but yet still drives round in a convertible bmw sports, goes on a holiday to dubai for 3 grand, another 4k holiday to South Africa this year, new frocks and shoes each week. Sickening
    You found a fault, didn't report it and now it's gone tits up, pay up.

Arsechickens

• Deleted user 23 May 2014 17:08:26
    I got a bill through from nPower that was 7 months late and incorrect. Its just for 45, but the times I've rung them up to correct the amount (by a couple of pounds in my favour), I've been left on the phone for over 20 minutes before being cut off.

So now I'm ignoring it until I get a "final" bill. As it is, they've sent a couple of reminders and that's it. I'll pay, but I think they've a cheek sending it so late and the number they have to query the bill being mobbed.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next