Electricity & Gas bills

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 1 December 2008 23:52:01
    Apologies in advance, wall o' rant incoming.

Since the rates went up end of July have you experienced a considerably bigger bill? We've just had an electricity bill for 18th July to 12 November of £248. Now, the way our flat is set up, we're really one half of a biiiig flat that covers the ground floor of a Victorian house and we're lodging in one half of it while the landlord has the other half. However, we have our own front door, bathroom, kitchen, etc, and it's considered a seperate flat in all but the bills which we split 50/50 with her.

However, she's more than a bit out of touch. She's been out of the country for 2 years and got back a few months ago and she just told me we needed to talk about the electricity bills because £248 was way too much. I told her that it was in line with what we expected for a) this time of year and b) the price rises. She said, "What price rises?".

o_O

I actually emailed her all the Money Saving Expert advice about capping your utility bills NOW NOW NOW way back in July when the price rises were about to hit. She didn't bother.

So I've gone through all my old scans of the bills from when she wasn't here (and was renting her half out to someone else) and checked the units as opposed to the actual costs and taking into account seasonal fluctuations we're maybe using 100-200 units more per quarter than we were 2 years ago, but nothing to warrant being told we're using way too much. At least, not in my opinion.

But it got me wondering how much everyone else is paying and what the big hogs are. Maybe we really are using way too much. Presumably a 37" LCD and a 360 use a shit load? My 24" iMac is on 24/7 but in Energy Saving sleep mode for between 50% and 80% of the day.

We're with EDF by the way. Looking forward to her reaction to the gas bill...

EDIT: I've also just noticed that 18 July to 12 Nov is more than one quarter, too, which would account for the higher price this time, and also that this is the first bill in a while with an actual reading as opposed to estimate, which may also bump it up.
  • JuanKerr 1 Dec 2008 23:57:14 36,426 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We've just started paying our £930 gas/electricity bill, the first one we've paid since we moved in here back in August 2007.

Is £930 for 16 months about right for a small two bedroom Victorian house? I thought it sounded okay, but I've no idea.
  • neilka 1 Dec 2008 23:58:12 16,471 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EDF! EDF! EDF!

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Hunam 2 Dec 2008 00:02:51 20,674 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We had a student house, heating on all through winter, xbox and laptops raging at all hours, £50 a quarter for leccy and the same for gas.
  • Angel_Treats 2 Dec 2008 00:07:26 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    EDF! EDF! EDF!

I've just this minute paid our electricity bill and that's exactly what was in my head :D I hate those automated telephone payment things, they never recognise my accent.

Ours was £143.16 for the quarter, and last quarter was £121.08. We live in a small one bedroom flat.
  • faux-C 2 Dec 2008 00:07:28 9,536 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hate renting.

We have single glazing and no insulation for the top 2 floors (4 bedrooms) of a 4 storey Victorian house. Landlord refuses to install anything that might cut heating bills down, so we pay through the nose or I sit here and shiver. Currently its two jumpers, jeans, socks under slipper socks, dressing gown and fingerless glove for my mouse hand :(
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Dec 2008 00:18:53 18,516 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    I hate renting.

We have single glazing and no insulation for the top 2 floors (4 bedrooms) of a 4 storey Victorian house. Landlord refuses to install anything that might cut heating bills down, so we pay through the nose or I sit here and shiver. Currently its two jumpers, jeans, socks under slipper socks, dressing gown and fingerless glove for my mouse hand :(

Then leave. The rental market is amazing at the moment as everyone's rental property is worth tuppence hapenny, and even threatening to leave may get something done. That situation sounds hazardous to your health.

Although whinging on the internet may help too.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:22:44
    faux_carnation wrote:
    I hate renting.

This is pretty similar to our situation too. On the ground floor and the front room has one wall roughly 80% of which is floor to ceiling glass panels and wood because of patio doors. Really old rattling things, old wood, think glass, gaps between the doors with only B&Q brand draught excluder tape to keep the chill out, a complete heat-vent. And yes we've told her time and time and time again how much heat we lose out of this main room of our house because of it and she just keeps going on about how much she pays in freehold fees and how much she'd have to pay to get it replaced because of some conservation area law stating she can't replace it with PVC doors etc blah blah blah.

And then she moans about the bills.

Hunam, how the hell are you paying £50 a quarter to use all that stuff? Who are you with? How many units do you use per quarter?
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Dec 2008 00:23:21 18,516 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    But it got me wondering how much everyone else is paying and what the big hogs are.

I'm paying the same in a Direct Debit as I was a year ago and I've not got raped by the increases (although to be fair I was overpaying back then) - about £50 per month electricity.

Gas amount is about the same. 4 bedroomed small-ish house, but built in 1989, which makes a huge difference compared with the last place I was living in.

Anything that heats will be the big hogs. 360 probably uses more than your iMac, but I have to question why you leave it on all day long?
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Dec 2008 00:25:04 18,516 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tell her to buy wooden replacement double-glazed windows. The PVC doesn't do anything special to keep the warmth in, it just makes your house look crappy.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:26:06
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Anything that heats will be the big hogs. 360 probably uses more than your iMac, but I have to question why you leave it on all day long?
    A combination of frequent torrenting and pure laziness I guess. Turning it on and off all the time is annoying. I suppose annoying is cheaper than using electricity, but I was under the impression when it goes to sleep the Power Saving mode draws bugger all.

Of course I don't actually know how much it actually uses. How much are those things you can plug in that tell you how much each device is using, and where do you get them from? Argos?
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:29:39
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Tell her to buy wooden replacement double-glazed windows. The PVC doesn't do anything special to keep the warmth in, it just makes your house look crappy.
    She won't. She already put the rent up on us £100 a month this week after it has apparently sat unchanged for the last 4-5 years, claiming she struggles to pay the mortgage on the whole property etc especially now she is only getting rent for one half and not both. Was pretty fucking angry about that but she did just get us a new sofa and does get things fixed when they break (which isn't that often).

However we appear to have been those unlucky tenants that are there for everything reaching the end of it's lifespan so it's been fairly expensive this year for her in that respect. But she just won't budge on the doors. She even suggested we tape sheets of plastic over them on the inside in winter.

o_O
  • Sid-Nice 2 Dec 2008 00:30:15 15,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ask your landlord to provide you with a key card payment meter for your gas and electricity; you pay for what you use and you donít have to fork out huge amounts on quarterly bills.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Dirtbox 2 Dec 2008 00:30:23 78,899 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hear junk mail lags bills.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:31:33
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I hear junk mail lags bills.
    We could probably use the vast amounts that still arrive every day despite the large notice on the front door saying NO JUNK MAIL to fill the gaps in the doors... Good idea.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:32:33
    Sid Nice wrote:
    Ask your landlord to provide you with a key card payment meter for your gas and electricity; you pay for what you use and you donít have to fork out huge amounts on quarterly bills.
    Doesn't work like that. The gas boiler and electricity meter are all in her side of the overall 'flat'. We share the electricity and gas as if we were lodgers in part of the house, which in effect we are although we have our own kitchen, bathroom, toilet, front door etc.
  • faux-C 2 Dec 2008 00:32:53 9,536 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Then leave. The rental market is amazing at the moment as everyone's rental property is worth tuppence hapenny, and even threatening to leave may get something done.

Rent goes up as house prices fall :(
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Dec 2008 00:35:10 18,516 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    She won't. She already put the rent up on us £100 a month this week after it has apparently sat unchanged for the last 4-5 years, claiming she struggles to pay the mortgage on the whole property etc especially now she is only getting rent for one half and not both. Was pretty fucking angry about that but she did just get us a new sofa and does get things fixed when they break (which isn't that often).

However we appear to have been those unlucky tenants that are there for everything reaching the end of it's lifespan so it's been fairly expensive this year for her in that respect. But she just won't budge on the doors. She even suggested we tape sheets of plastic over them on the inside in winter.

o_O

Why are you still there? It sounds as if the flat is furnished, so moving would be a piece of piss. Landlords at the moment should be blowing their tenants, not pissing them off. My last landlord tried to put the rent up, it wasn't by much but it would've meant a change in contract - which the letting agency then said would tie me in for another six months. I didn't want to do that so I voted with my feet.

I may well be heading towards negative equity right now, but I don't miss renting. And from what this thread tells me, I got lucky with my landlords (who were still cunts).
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:37:25
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    I hate renting.

Then leave. The rental market is amazing at the moment as everyone's rental property is worth tuppence hapenny, and even threatening to leave may get something done. That situation sounds hazardous to your health.

Although whinging on the internet may help too.
    Although you're talking to faux, for us at least leaving isn't practical for a variety of mostly financial reasons. We're generally getting a great deal here, splitting the bills and the council tax as lodgers.

I'm certainly complaining out loud about our stupid landlord, but the point of the thread for me is to ascertain what sort of electricity and gas prices everyone else is paying. I actually don't have too much of a problem with the bills. I think there are probably ways to bring them down a bit, but I think the bigger problem is in educating my clueless pensionable landlord as to the realities of the current economic climate, and the many other subtleties to the latest bill which accounts for it being higher than she thinks it should be.
  • Sid-Nice 2 Dec 2008 00:37:55 15,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would also like to add; you can buy your gas and electricity from any Pay-Point, this method is slightly more expensive than a quarterly bill. Also if you're having difficulties paying your bill the gas or electricity company may give you the option of a prepayment key/card and set the meter accordingly to recover the debt.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Psychotext 2 Dec 2008 00:39:46 54,822 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just looked at my leccy bills... I average about 6500 units a year (heating / water is gas).

That's two of us in a 3 bedroom house. Don't really know how that compares to the average.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:40:36
    Sid Nice wrote:
    I would also like to add; you can buy your gas and electricity from any Pay-Point, this method is slightly more expensive than a quarterly bill. Also if you're having difficulties paying your bill the gas or electricity company may give you the option of a prepayment key/card and set the meter accordingly to recover the debt.
    We're not having difficulties, and that system isn't practical for us due to reasons explained above, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Really just interested in what other people pay and what their circumstances are, so I have a better idea of where we fit into the grand scale of things.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:41:36
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just looked at my leccy bills... I average about 6500 units a year (heating / water is gas).

That's two of us in a 3 bedroom house. Don't really know how that compares to the average.
    Hmm, that's almost exactly what we average out at too, for a similar sized property overall. Interesting, cheers.
  • Sid-Nice 2 Dec 2008 00:41:53 15,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Doesn't work like that. The gas boiler and electricity meter are all in her side of the overall 'flat'. We share the electricity and gas as if we were lodgers in part of the house, which in effect we are although we have our own kitchen, bathroom, toilet, front door etc.
    I see so you're in a very difficult situation.

My second post was for anyone who may be finding things a bit tough in the current economical climate.

NNID Sid-Nice

• JuanKerr 2 Dec 2008 00:41:57 36,426 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We had a power cut a few weeks ago when I was in the house on my own. Boy do you realise how dependent we are on electricity - I was so fucking bored!
  • Deleted user 2 December 2008 00:45:07
    Sid Nice wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    I see so you're in a very difficult situation.
    It works out okay really - financially it's pretty good for us, although evidently she thinks it could be better for her. The problems come when our front room is absolutely freezing and the only thing we can do to warm up is put on slippers and more layers and put on a small fan heater, as we don't have access to the boiler. The circuit boards are all in a space we both have access to, though, so if they get thrown by something it's not a problem to put them back on.
  • warlockuk 2 Dec 2008 00:46:13 19,216 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    We've just started paying our £930 gas/electricity bill, the first one we've paid since we moved in here back in August 2007.

Is £930 for 16 months about right for a small two bedroom Victorian house? I thought it sounded okay, but I've no idea.
    I thought they could only back-charge you for 12 months?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• JuanKerr 2 Dec 2008 00:49:31 36,426 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

I thought they could only back-charge you for 12 months?

Well, it wasn't quite like that - British Gas arsed up all the bills last year, so we ended up switching to E-on, who then arsed it up some more. We finally got a proper bill in the Summer and we've only just got round to paying it. They messed up, so there was no way I was going to start paying as soon as they sent us a bill.
  • Sid-Nice 2 Dec 2008 01:09:53 15,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    It works out okay really - financially it's pretty good for us, although evidently she thinks it could be better for her. The problems come when our front room is absolutely freezing and the only thing we can do to warm up is put on slippers and more layers and put on a small fan heater, as we don't have access to the boiler. The circuit boards are all in a space we both have access to, though, so if they get thrown by something it's not a problem to put them back on.
    Does your designated area of the house have central heating radiators? And as you say you don't have access to the boiler and the only way to keep warm is by wearing additional clothing. Your circumstances could possibly lead to a prosecution against your landlord for not providing the necessary facilities under the European Housing Act regulations.

All local authorities have to comply to this act by 2012; providing double glazing, central heating, rewiring, and fully functional kitchens and bathrooms fitted with combination boilers.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous