Bastard Hay Fever Page 3

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Lukus 14 Jun 2008 19:01:28 19,107 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Here we go. Hookworm is your friend
    A hell of a lot of effort involved in that!

Paintings & Photographs

• Benno 14 Jun 2008 19:12:10 9,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont suffer from hay feaver but reading this thread has made my face itchy and my eyes water :(

/ahh
  • SharksInYourMouth 15 Jun 2008 02:46:45 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loud coughing
    Sniffly nose
    Paleness
    Clogged up throat

Glad I found a place to moan about this.
    Though medication does miracles.
  • smoothpete 15 Jun 2008 11:44:42 31,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, this cetirizine now seems to be of very little help, I'm fucking streaming here :(

Has anyone had the injection and does it work? I'm getting a nasal spray later to see if that helps now. They didn't use to help me but I'd try anything at this moment
  • coojam 15 Jun 2008 12:00:38 625 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems like everyone has a different experience of hay fever and a different way of dealing with it.

For me, it's not even pollen that sets it off. Maybe that's the trigger but in "hay fever season", it can be anything that sets it off.... grass, animals, car fumes. Strange.

I get asthma with mine really bad too, must have used my inhaler about 10 times each day the last 3 or 4 days.

I got on with Benadryl Plus last year really well as it's got a decongestant too, but they only let you buy one box of 12 tablets at a time this year which is rubbish. Still, I've found myself getting reaaaally sleeply last few days. Starting to OD I think.

I'm considering giving up dairy, but I do love cheese so and a glass of milk before I go to bed settles my stomach nicely.

/goes and get's tucked in by Mum.
  • terminalterror 15 Jun 2008 16:58:34 18,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine is starting to kick in properly now, but thankfully it waited till after I'd taken my exams, which is a first!

Mine gets really annoying (although it doesn't affect my eyes much for some reason), but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as some people's.
  • d0ugi3 22 Jun 2008 19:29:38 29 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    Loud coughing
    Sniffly nose
    Paleness
    Clogged up throat

Glad I found a place to moan about this.
    Though medication does miracles.

The only reason your pale is because your hair covers your face LAWL
  • souljah 22 Jun 2008 21:45:47 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the first season where I haven't been in that hell of a constant blocked and runny nose. Few sneezes and a bit of stuffyness but no where near as bad as before.

I started taking two zirtec (well, cheapo ones with same ingrediant) a day late April/early May, before any effects. So glad I've found something which seems to work.

/thinks back to inhalers, nasel sprays, vasiline and pills and powders of every possible brand.
  • d0ugi3 22 Jul 2008 12:25:01 29 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HybridR wrote:
    His pale is because your hair covers your face LAWL what?

His hair is huge, I've seen it. He gets no sunlight.
  • thefilthandthefury 22 Jul 2008 12:28:46 25,017 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah my hayfever hasn't been too bad lately. I get the odd bad day but it's mostly been in check.

So far!
  • smoothpete 22 Jul 2008 12:48:49 31,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine is over till mid august. Blessed relief!

Oh I went to the doctor by the way, if anyone is taking cetirizine he said it's one of the only antihistamines that you can safely up the dosage of. Up to 4 pills a day is ok
  • Pinewood_Groves 22 Jul 2008 12:52:00 1,347 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suffer badly from hayfever.

Interesting point though - wearing contact lenses makes it better. In terms of the eyes itching, anyway.
  • heyyo 22 Jul 2008 12:57:10 14,373 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yay! Pollen Count is high but i'm fine \o/
  • monkie_king 22 Jul 2008 14:34:22 984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Right, this cetirizine now seems to be of very little help, I'm fucking streaming here :(

Has anyone had the injection and does it work? I'm getting a nasal spray later to see if that helps now. They didn't use to help me but I'd try anything at this moment

I had the jab during my GCSEs or A-levels, kept popping pills on top of that, and it was certainly better than without. I distinctly remember waiting to see the nurse in the GP's surgery, and reading the label on the little vial - "For deep intramuscular injection into the gluteus".
  • faux_carnation 9 Jun 2012 22:13:56 9,335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gah, it's horrible today. My eyes are streaming and my nose is totally blocked/drippy. Fucking summer.
  • tuff 9 Jun 2012 22:30:18 624 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hit me again this evening.

Start of last week was awful. Started thinking that the tesco cetrizine was no longer working. The trouble I have is once it starts i have about half hour to nip it, which if not caught throws an element of doubt in about the tablet. But once past that point, if no luck with 1 then that's it, even double or even triple 1 a-day tablets won't stop it.
    But picked up some loratadine tabs today and necked one and it's done the trick.

So in short, what I am trying to say is, switching active drugs has worked this time.
  • docrob 10 Jun 2012 08:30:00 289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Steroid injections aren't a good idea - too many side effects. (One of which is reduced bone density(.

Triludan was taken off the market due to a potential interaction with grapefruit juice which could cause cardiac arrhythmias.

Another vote for Benadryl Plus here. You have to ask for it at the counter and they will only sell it 12 tablets at a time, but it's worth it (for me anyway). It's a combination of an antihistamine with pseudoephedrine, which stops the constant streaming.
  • malloc 10 Jun 2012 09:03:24 2,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Acupuncture? I've been seeing a chinese doctor about a few things that I've gotten nowhere with my GP with and am astonished at how good he is.

They see hayfever as being very treatable. Look for a chinese chinese doctor and go from there, i.e. one's who's spent 5 years training in China rather than an English guy who's done a weekend's course and has got a spare room in his house and an old sewing kit. My one is adamant he's treated people who cannot sleep they have it so bad.

I do think it works, although you need to see one who knows what they're doing. Over the years I'd seen 3, 2 of which did nothing for me.
  • Lukus 10 Jun 2012 10:45:58 19,107 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Steroid injections aren't a good idea - too many side effects. (One of which is reduced bone density(.
    You'd have to be on quite a high dose for a sustained period of time for any osteoporosis to take place and even then it's completely reversible once treatment has stopped.

But yeah, steroids are best avoided in my opinion. (Was on them for years for something else, and the side effects are pretty miserable.)

Weirdly, my hayfever seems to be getting better and better each year, with a less severe reaction. It was utterly unbearable about 5 years ago, everything streaming, itching, etc. in spite of inhalers, antihistamines and eye drops.

So, there is hope!

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 10 June 2012 11:59:14
    My hay fever has started with a bang over the last day or so :(.
  • smoothpete 10 Jun 2012 12:06:22 31,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm being fucked in the face by a billion plants. Wankers. Yesterday someone helpfully suggested that rolling in nettles would cure it. Er... yeah. Think I'll just put up with the hayfever thanks all the same.
  • monkehhh 10 Jun 2012 12:14:55 3,313 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I start on the Loratadine ages before I'm expecting any plant rape and make sure to keep it up daily. As tuff said ^ up there if I leave it too long then I'm fucked. Does seem better this year though, and I've only had hayfever for the last few years, so it can come and go (like my asthma) - hopefully it will fuck off for some years shortly.
  • monkehhh 26 Jun 2012 21:17:10 3,313 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Turns out I was full of shit, last week or so has been evil pollen straight from the devil's cock. Think I've been using too much hayfever medicine and its just stopped being so effective, sneezing every 10 seconds and feeling stoned is not fun. Gonna dial back the drugs, drink this bottle of red wine, see how it goes tomorrow. FUCK YOU GRASS.
  • RedSparrows 26 Jun 2012 21:34:40 22,649 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alcohol won't help ;)

I have been really patchy. Fine until last week, or so.

GF picked a load of elderflower to make cordial. Fucked me right over.

Since then, some days I am a walking ball of mucus, other days - like today - I am absolutely fine.

Made for a subdued anniversary, too. Rubbish :(

Use Boots own hayfever tablets, might well change.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last