Bastard Hay Fever Page 2

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Daithi 21 May 2004 15:32:40 149 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm another believer in Zirtek, nothing beats it. It's pricey but I find I only need to take it when I have symptoms unlike other medications were you need to regularly take to have any effect.
  • pjmaybe 14 Jun 2004 17:40:44 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    slowly....falling...asleep...because...of.....hayfever...meds....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Peej
  • andrewfromdoncaster 14 Jun 2004 18:02:52 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found Zirtek and Clarityn and all those a load of shite. The best bet is to go for individual medication that targets individual symptoms. I went back to the doctors for prescription nasal spray, eye drops and a tablet and im fine even on a day like today.
  • smoothpete 13 May 2008 09:59:09 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Same here, stupid fucking pollens
  • [menace] 13 May 2008 09:59:41 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Same here.. Grass pollen is fucking evil - and every single person that has a lawnmover-automobile-thingy is out cruising and cutting the grass.
  • pjmaybe 13 May 2008 10:01:50 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doing OK so far. One of my colleagues has bought one of these:

Medinose

Apparently it works! He does have the rather dubious privilege of looking like Arnie trying to extract the tracking bug from his nose in Total Recall whenever he uses it, but it works.

Bizarre!

• motti82 13 May 2008 10:02:34 2,862 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of you boys get it bad, I just have a Clarityn and a box of tissues handy to wipe my eyes and nose.
  • thomasbeff 13 May 2008 10:06:34 437 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vividrin eye drops tend to do the trick for me.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2008 10:19:17
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I've been fine up to now, but last night's rain kicked all the pollen off this morning and I'm in AGONY with it.

The only thing I find works - Optrex for the eyes, becconaise for the nose. Nothing else.

Apparently eating shitloads of [u]local[/u] honey helps (it did last year anyway)

Peej
    This^
    i used to suffer with hayfever in a big way. i started drinking honey water as part of my diet and now i don't EVER get hayfever now. :)

local honey is best as it comes from local flowers. the other stuff is commercial shite which doesn't really solve the problem in the same way.
  • President_Weasel 13 May 2008 10:27:46 8,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, the famous London honey, in all good health shops...
  • moggsy 13 May 2008 10:33:13 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Doing OK so far. One of my colleagues has bought one of these:

Medinose

Apparently it works! He does have the rather dubious privilege of looking like Arnie trying to extract the tracking bug from his nose in Total Recall whenever he uses it, but it works.

Bizarre!

I've got the el cheapo version of this from Lloyd's Pharmacy. Been using it for a few days and I can confirm it works really well. It immediately took away my itchy nose and I haven't suffered from the usual symptoms at all. Just used it in a morning and on a night - 3 minutes each time.

Bloody miracle machine!
  • gareth886 13 May 2008 10:48:42 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm fine so far. Despite the glorious weather. Probably because all the shite that farmers are spraying on the fields is keeping the pollen down. As a result the country reeks. One farmer seems to have sprayed dog shit on his field. Gag inducing.
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:13:18 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    for the love of god, this is fugging ridiculous. I swear I am losing more bodily fluid nasally than through urinating
  • SomaticSense 14 Jun 2008 18:16:41 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine's not been too bad today. The odd sneezing fit, but nothing major.

Not as bad as last year's frequent 'sneezing til my nose bleeds, while on till serving people' episodes anyway. Not looking forward to that at all......

edit: Oh, and Cetrizine Dihydrochoride is the only thing that works for me. I believe you can also get it as Zirtek.

Nasal sprays do absolutely sod all for me.
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:23:54 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I take Zirtek (or rather, Boots own brand one which is the same but much cheaper), it does seem to work to an extent, better than anything else. What it does though is make my snot flow, which is kinda good because I'm not blocked up, but my nose runs constantly
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:27:21 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Yeah, the famous London honey, in all good health shops...
    There are some producers actually. I saw one on Hugh Fernely-Whatshisface's programme the other week. Hackney Honey, made by this teenager and his 8 hives. Apparently city honey is very nice due to the sheer variety of plants and flowers in people's gardens.

/really wants to keep bees
  • Mr_Dodger 14 Jun 2008 18:27:39 263 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's another "works for me" that hasn't been mentioned yet - Piriton. My hayfever is mild though, itchy eyes/nose and mad sneezing. But the Piri does it for me.
  • kleaneasy 14 Jun 2008 18:30:49 173 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dont know what annoys me most about hayfever, whether its the irritating itchy eyes making it impossible to see or read anything, the general feeling of having a constant head cold or that I seem incapable of remembering to take my god damn antihistimenes *slaps self*
  • SomaticSense 14 Jun 2008 18:31:48 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Piriton has never worked for me. It was as if I wasn't taking anything at all.

Although my hayfever is classed as fairly chronic, where even the most powerful stuff sometimes doesn't work if the pollen count is particularly high. I think it's only for the mild hayfever sufferer. Clarityn's the same for me as well.
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:32:35 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I double dose on cetirizine these days, one on the morning, one in the evening. Probably shouldn't do that really but otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night with sneezing fits
  • SomaticSense 14 Jun 2008 18:34:08 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I double dose on cetirizine these days, one on the morning, one in the evening. Probably shouldn't do that really but otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night with sneezing fits

Woah, I don't have to do that.

You have it pretty bad mate....
  • kleaneasy 14 Jun 2008 18:36:02 173 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:

You may already know this (may have even been said already, sorry if it has) but a lot of the problem with late/ midnight hayfever symtoms is open windows during the day, the pollen gets in the house and settles on fabrics such as bedding and sofas etc. You then sit down/ get into bed and disturb it and bingo your screwed.

I never really thought of it until someone mentioned it on some show a few years ago so now I make a point of not having my bedroom windows open when its bad and I dont get anywhere near the same issues I had before.
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:37:19 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it's a bitch.

Did anyone use to take Triludan? They banned it a few years ago. That shit was freaky. You'd sometimes get visual distortions from it, I remember one when the front wall of the classroom I was sat in seemed to suddenly jump forwards a metre. Another time I was walking along looking at the pavement, and the edge shifted a foot or so to the left :/
  • SomaticSense 14 Jun 2008 18:40:16 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should it be wrong that I'm actually a bit interested in that?

:\

/asks chemist for any backstock
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:40:38 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kleaneasy wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

You may already know this (may have even been said already, sorry if it has) but a lot of the problem with late/ midnight hayfever symtoms is open windows during the day, the pollen gets in the house and settles on fabrics such as bedding and sofas etc. You then sit down/ get into bed and disturb it and bingo your screwed.

I never really thought of it until someone mentioned it on some show a few years ago so now I make a point of not having my bedroom windows open when its bad and I dont get anywhere near the same issues I had before.
    Trust me, in my house the windows are firmly shut in the summer ;)

It's a good point though. Someone suggested showering in the evening as the pollen can get in your hair during the day, but I'm a skindhead so that doesn't really apply

I'm seriously considering infecting myself with that african parasictic worm that cures it. Let me see if I can find the article
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2008 18:43:00 31,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here we go. Hookworm is your friend
  • SomaticSense 14 Jun 2008 18:50:54 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Here we go. Hookworm is your friend

o_0

I actually suffer from chronic asthma as well, but I'm am not going that far. Ever.
  • Doomspoon 14 Jun 2008 18:52:50 2,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My dairy allergy gives me hay fever like symptoms as well as itchy/bleeding ears on occasion. It's annoying when the hay fever kicks in too as I'm never sure whether I've eaten/drank something dodgy by mistake or it's the pollen causing it.
  • kleaneasy 14 Jun 2008 18:54:06 173 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Trust me, in my house the windows are firmly shut in the summer ;)

Yeh figured as much lol

• Page

of 11 First / Last