Bastard Hay Fever

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • urizen 21 May 2004 09:40:24 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems like my season is just kicking in, as I had a terrible night of sneezing, wheezing, grunting and coughing - according to my wife. Luckily, the evil 'itchy throat' symptom is yet to appear.
    I always forget what a curse it is until it starts the next year; and I've certainly never been satisfied with any medication I've been given (except for a steroid injection the summer of my finals).
    Who else suffers, and what do you recommend?
  • pjmaybe 21 May 2004 09:42:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been fine up to now, but last night's rain kicked all the pollen off this morning and I'm in AGONY with it.

The only thing I find works - Optrex for the eyes, becconaise for the nose. Nothing else.

Apparently eating shitloads of honey helps (it did last year anyway)

Peej
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 May 2004 09:43:21 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Funny, it seems to start today for me as well. I already sneezed a dozen times this morning.

Well, I never take any medication or anything usually (unless the situation really requires it), I just suffer quietly (apart from the sneezing, of course, which isn't always that quiet) ;-)
  • oneiros 21 May 2004 09:43:24 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    my season started a few weeks back now and I agree, it's a complete nightmare! When I were a wee lad, the doctor told me I'd grow out of it in about seven years - not a hope.

These days I use Benadryl+ which I find to be very effective, but of course YMMV...
  • unwashed 21 May 2004 09:45:27 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I started with Beconase in March this year. But it seems to be holding the hay fever in check, so I'm happy.
  • Shivoa 21 May 2004 09:48:57 5,677 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    'bout a week ago it seemed like everyone (inc the council) decided to cut the grass at the same time and I was dying just walking around. Stupid allergies.
  • terminalterror 21 May 2004 09:49:40 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine hasn't started yet, and I'm not quite sure whether my season hasn't started yet, or all the medication I'm taking is holding it back. If it fucks up my A levels I'll have to go on some sort of pollen hunt with a flame thrower.
  • urizen 21 May 2004 09:49:53 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beccona(i)se never really worked for me, unfortunately. Coincidentally, I am on a honey binge at the moment.
    Has anyone tried any homeopathic remedies / alternate approaches like acupuncture?
    /lights joss stick
  • terminalterror 21 May 2004 09:52:54 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    urizen wrote:
    beccona(i)se never really worked for me, unfortunately. Coincidentally, I am on a honey binge at the moment.
    Has anyone tried any homeopathic remedies / alternate approaches like acupuncture?
    /lights joss stick

I think the honey has to be local honey, so whatever the bees do to it that helps you with the pollen is specific to your local varieties of pollen.
  • urizen 21 May 2004 09:53:00 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steroid injections - if you're doing exams like a-levels maybe your doctor will allow it; I know that otherwise they were reluctant to administer it (circa '96).
  • urizen 21 May 2004 09:53:50 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    urizen wrote:
    /lights joss stick

I think the honey has to be local honey, so whatever the bees do to it that helps you with the pollen is specific to your local varieties of pollen.
    That would make sense :)
  • pjmaybe 21 May 2004 10:02:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    urizen wrote:
    Steroid injections - if you're doing exams like a-levels maybe your doctor will allow it; I know that otherwise they were reluctant to administer it (circa '96).

I used to have to have steroid injections to supress my allergy to meat protein when I first started suffering. Fucking horrible, fucking painful and you end up with man-boobs like cantaloupes (thankfully they do go away!)

Peej
  • urizen 21 May 2004 10:04:40 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meat protein allergy? Bloody hell!
    Did they inject you in the arse?
    /remembers his, waddles away
    /thinks of licorice and gags
  • RubyRed 21 May 2004 10:30:40 4,303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urizen wrote:
    /lights joss stick
    There's that New Era stuff which you can get from chemists. It's a homeopathic remedy and it use to do the trick for me quite often, although any time I did get hayfever it was never severe. It's a worth a try, especially as you don't get any side effects.
  • pjmaybe 21 May 2004 10:36:19 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    urizen wrote:
    /lights joss stick
    There's that New Era stuff which you can get from chemists. It's a homeopathic remedy and it use to do the trick for me quite often, although any time I did get hayfever it was never severe. It's a worth a try, especially as you don't get any side effects.

Yeah Mrs Peej takes that stuff and gets on OK with it. Me, I prefer something that's got a bit of a kick to it (though becconaise doesn't half make my nose bleed sometimes, bloody stuff)

Peej
  • urizen 21 May 2004 10:38:23 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    eyebright, golden seal, chamomile, fennel seeds, and New Era. Thanks - not overly hopeful of tracking these down in Budapest, but will have a look.
  • bainbrge 21 May 2004 10:38:49 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have used Zirtek for the past 4 years, and it has largely removed the symptoms (and I am asthmatic + wear contact lenses so I feel it quite acutely)
  • urizen 21 May 2004 10:40:44 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bainbrge wrote:
    I have used Zirtek for the past 4 years, and it has largely removed the symptoms (and I am asthmatic + wear contact lenses so I feel it quite acutely)
    What is it? Is it a prescription-only thing?
  • thrawn 21 May 2004 10:44:29 892 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My girlfriend has some really long named problem that basically equates to having constant, year round hayfever. She is allergic to pretty much everything. Last year we discovered a nice way of making it a million times better. Stop eating/drinking anything with dairy in it. Works a treat for her and her brother who used to suffer really badly from asthma.

Apparently because the human body cannot digest cows milk properly it just hangs around clogging your system up. Once it's out of your system you're less prone to allergies/asthma/hayfever etc.
  • bainbrge 21 May 2004 10:44:30 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    over the counter ceterizine hydrochloride (?). Zirtek is the trade name.
  • pjmaybe 21 May 2004 10:46:22 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thrawn wrote:
    My girlfriend has some really long named problem that basically equates to having constant, year round hayfever. She is allergic to pretty much everything. Last year we discovered a nice way of making it a million times better. Stop eating/drinking anything with dairy in it. Works a treat for her and her brother who used to suffer really badly from asthma.

Apparently because the human body cannot digest cows milk properly it just hangs around clogging your system up. Once it's out of your system you're less prone to allergies/asthma/hayfever etc.

It's good advice. You'll find it has shitloads of advantages. I would do it myself but A) I love cheese too much and B) Soy/dog's milk tastes too rank.

Peej
  • RubyRed 21 May 2004 11:45:59 4,303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How about cat's milk?

A friend of mine has psoriasis and every time she has anything with cream in it, her skin flares up, so I think dairy products really exacerbate symptoms of any allergies.
  • Slippy 21 May 2004 11:49:03 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forget medicines. Put a thin layer of Vaseline inside your nose (yep, I said inside).

Don't knock it till you try it. Don't weaken your immune systems still further by using anti-histamines/steroids if possible!

Edited by Slippy at 10:49:29 21-05-2004
  • thrawn 21 May 2004 11:58:46 892 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've given up all dairy except cheese. I refuse to believe something that tastes so good can be bad for you. I was never bothered about milk or cream so that was no trouble at all for me.
  • Rosalind 21 May 2004 12:00:33 59 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Medication never worked for me, but last year I was prescribed Neoclarytin, which was a new drug, only prescribed for the first time last year, which worked a treat.
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2004 12:10:18 79,203 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aller-eze always did the trick for me. I do look like someone just kicked me in the face at the moment though.

/sniffs

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• urizen 21 May 2004 12:11:28 2,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Medicine no good for me either. but
    vaseline in yer nose + Neoclarytin = goodbye hay fever
    from the sound of it. Thanks.
  • oneiros 21 May 2004 12:16:03 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    Combination H - don't confuse it with Preparation H which is for piles... ;)
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous