Happy St. Andrew's Day

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • dufftownallan 30 Nov 2008 18:56:56 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    to all the scots, greeks and russians on the forum
    heres tae ye
  • oldschoolsoviet 30 Nov 2008 19:46:02 5,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it ?

    Really ?

    (A quick check of Google, and yep, there's bagpipes. Stereotyping bastards.)

    :D
  • oceanmotion 30 Nov 2008 19:55:43 15,770 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Drinks Dufftown.

    /Cheers
  • absolutezero 30 Nov 2008 19:59:12 7,956 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I shall go rummage about for some shortie to munch with my tea later.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2008 20:02:54
    Why do people only seem to care this year?

    Oh, that's right. It's a political ploy by the SNP to try and get us to feel patriotic so we'll want independence.

    Fuck's sake.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2008 20:04:54
    If it's any consolation, I don't care at all. In fact I couldn't care less. Also, don't people 'celebrate' St Andrews Day every year? Mind you I don't live up there any more. What's different this year?
  • TheStylishHobo 30 Nov 2008 20:21:01 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scottish and don't give a shit :]
  • TheStylishHobo 30 Nov 2008 20:22:56 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Why do people only seem to care this year?

    Oh, that's right. It's a political ploy by the SNP to try and get us to feel patriotic so we'll want independence.

    Fuck's sake.

    And also, fuck the SNP. I like their political stance being more to the left but they can go and get screwed with independence, trying to create patriotism out of thin air and telling us we should be blindly patriotic, bunch of twats...
  • dufftownallan 30 Nov 2008 23:48:00 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Drinks Dufftown.

    /Cheers
    i hope youre a lovely wee brunette with great boobs
  • dufftownallan 30 Nov 2008 23:52:37 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    people dont "celebrate" st andrews day because it isnt as revered as it should be. it amazes me that the scots as a nation with a very strong sense of identity cant get together to celebrate a day for scotland.

    mind you, as is our nature, and as evidenced in this thread, we have this horrible ability to infight to our own detriment. why did you lot feel the need to express anger of st andrews ties to calls of independance that you obviously disagree with? why react so negatively to something that should unite our country and celebrate the none-to-minor contribution its made to the world?

    /waves saltire
  • sirtacos 1 Dec 2008 06:54:17 7,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "While a Scot is pissing, a sterling falls into the toilet. Desperately, he looks at the sterling and asks himself whether a sterling is worth getting his hands dirty. After thinking for a while, he takes 10 sterlings out of his pocket and throws them into the toilet."
  • TheStylishHobo 1 Dec 2008 07:44:30 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    people dont "celebrate" st andrews day because it isnt as revered as it should be. it amazes me that the scots as a nation with a very strong sense of identity cant get together to celebrate a day for scotland.

    mind you, as is our nature, and as evidenced in this thread, we have this horrible ability to infight to our own detriment. why did you lot feel the need to express anger of st andrews ties to calls of independance that you obviously disagree with? why react so negatively to something that should unite our country and celebrate the none-to-minor contribution its made to the world?

    /waves saltire

    What do you mean it is not as revered as it is supposed to be? There is no reason why it should be revered. You say we have a strong sense of national identity, but that is complete bullshit. People from Edinburgh and Glasgow have a completely different culture from someone in the Highlands. Our history consists of a few "proud" moments in relativity to other countries, and we share so much common culture with England now that it is no surprise that all the retards are incredibly patriotic, eg. "FUCK THE ENGLISH, SCOTTISH PRIDE!!!1111 SCOTTISH NO BRITISH", a paraphrase from someone I knows bebo.

    Anyway, I am not a big fan of any patriotism full stop, it is a stupid creation of mankind to be proud of your political border, and it is even stupider to be blindly patriotic as many Scots are just now.
  • dufftownallan 6 Dec 2008 11:02:14 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    why does being proud to be scottish automatically come with anti-english sentiment? that really pisses me off. i want to celebrate st andrews day becuase im proud of scotland, im proud of our place in the world, im proud of our achievments, and i swell with pride when i see a saltire waving anywhere in the world. i do NOT define our country through its relationship with england.

    besides your argument about patriotism is blown apart by your example of the differences between edinburgh, glasgow and the highlands. would you prefer that we revert back to city states? are we too different to come under the umbrella of one nation? patriotism comes about because of the differences between peoples, historically its been used under a viel of violence to remove unwanted rule. id like to think that patriotism has evolved to celebrate the uniqueness of different peoples. perhaps thats a romantic notion and i can see how patrioism can be a bad thing, but i can also see how it can bond and entire dispirate bunch of people for a good common purpose.

    happy st fucking andrews day you cynical cunt.
  • Fozzie_bear 6 Dec 2008 13:03:35 15,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    why does being proud to be scottish automatically come with anti-english sentiment? that really pisses me off. i want to celebrate st andrews day becuase im proud of scotland, im proud of our place in the world, im proud of our achievments, and i swell with pride when i see a saltire waving anywhere in the world. i do NOT define our country through its relationship with england.

    From an english perspective it seems rather pathetic at times - Alec Salmond and the Maradona thing a few weeks back, for example. But defining your identity by announcing who you hate isn't unusual and it's not just the scottish who do it, don't worry. It's probably not even a majority of scots who feel like that - just the most vocal. For our part - try and find a celebration of England that doesn't involve hating france or germany.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • askew 6 Dec 2008 13:05:02 12,156 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    St Georges Day.
  • Fozzie_bear 6 Dec 2008 13:06:56 15,498 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We don't really bother with that though, do we? Hardly a day of national celebration. I mean when it comes to showing support for the english football, for example. It's all "two world wars..." and "fuck the ira" etc.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • dufftownallan 7 Dec 2008 11:53:45 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    From an english perspective it seems rather pathetic at times - Alec Salmond and the Maradona thing a few weeks back, for example. But defining your identity by announcing who you hate isn't unusual and it's not just the scottish who do it, don't worry. It's probably not even a majority of scots who feel like that - just the most vocal. For our part - try and find a celebration of England that doesn't involve hating france or germany.
    ive been guilty of it in the past but i dont hate england, im just frustrated that scotlands identity is stifled by our union with england. its like an unhappy marriage where we have no power! that frustration probably comes out in the wrong way sometimes. the press on either side certainly dont help.

    i lived in england during the rugby world cup, euro 2004 and world cup 2006 and during those periods it was great, st georges flags flying from cars, i absolutely loved the atmosphere of national pride and hope for the team, but thats about the only time when english nationalism comes out, apart from vitriol about immigrants and suchlike. the problem england has is that it has no cultural identity of its own, apart from the ones that have british tags (british bulldogs, michael caine etc). england has become britain, no wonder the whole situation is really confused!

    anyhoo, happy april 23rd when it comes along
  • skuzzbag 7 Dec 2008 12:12:57 5,638 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    While you have North Sea Oil, Gas and other mineral deposits within the are and are strategically placed in the world there is no fucking way you'll have any kind of real independance from England.

    You need to have fuck all to offer and then we'll have left before breakfast the next day.

    "Nice knowing you chaps! Erm.... Bye!"
  • dufftownallan 7 Dec 2008 16:29:49 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    what a lovely chap, no wonder the relationship between england and scotland is so good. cos theres always been an equal contribution given by either side...
  • TheStylishHobo 7 Dec 2008 17:50:28 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    why does being proud to be scottish automatically come with anti-english sentiment? that really pisses me off. i want to celebrate st andrews day becuase im proud of scotland, im proud of our place in the world, im proud of our achievments, and i swell with pride when i see a saltire waving anywhere in the world. i do NOT define our country through its relationship with england.

    besides your argument about patriotism is blown apart by your example of the differences between edinburgh, glasgow and the highlands. would you prefer that we revert back to city states? are we too different to come under the umbrella of one nation? patriotism comes about because of the differences between peoples, historically its been used under a viel of violence to remove unwanted rule. id like to think that patriotism has evolved to celebrate the uniqueness of different peoples. perhaps thats a romantic notion and i can see how patrioism can be a bad thing, but i can also see how it can bond and entire dispirate bunch of people for a good common purpose.

    happy st fucking andrews day you cynical cunt.

    First off, thanks for calling me a cunt, name calling is always the best way to get across your point >_>

    So you are proud of a political entities achievements simply because you happened to be born inside it? If I were French should I only be proud of France's past achievements and no one else, be proud of only France, because I was lucky enough to get born inside it's borders on the map?

    My main problem isn't with being proud, it is with being of proud of a nation state. It's illogical to be proud of a political entity and give it your pride for it's history and achievements. If you want to be proud of something stop looking in the short term and be proud of humanity for it's achievements.

    Religion is dying out, and patriotism surely isn't on the grow (even in the US, huge peak after 9/11 but people are question the govt. again). As we grow more civilised, these things disappear gradually but you will have to wait another few hundred years and hope we don't destroy ourselves to see humanity without these problems.
  • sport 30 Nov 2009 11:15:42 12,679 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A Merry St Andrew's Day to all you lovely Scottish Egers
  • sargulesh 30 Nov 2009 11:17:18 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm off work. All day MW2 for me. Anyone around?
  • Bru-Man 30 Nov 2009 13:32:22 200 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a Scot who's been living in England for the last 11 years. Our canteen at work just did a proper haggis, neaps and tatties for lunch. I'm a happy bunny :)
  • dufftownallan 1 Dec 2009 10:07:47 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    why does being proud to be scottish automatically come with anti-english sentiment? that really pisses me off. i want to celebrate st andrews day becuase im proud of scotland, im proud of our place in the world, im proud of our achievments, and i swell with pride when i see a saltire waving anywhere in the world. i do NOT define our country through its relationship with england.

    besides your argument about patriotism is blown apart by your example of the differences between edinburgh, glasgow and the highlands. would you prefer that we revert back to city states? are we too different to come under the umbrella of one nation? patriotism comes about because of the differences between peoples, historically its been used under a viel of violence to remove unwanted rule. id like to think that patriotism has evolved to celebrate the uniqueness of different peoples. perhaps thats a romantic notion and i can see how patrioism can be a bad thing, but i can also see how it can bond and entire dispirate bunch of people for a good common purpose.

    happy st fucking andrews day you cynical cunt.

    First off, thanks for calling me a cunt, name calling is always the best way to get across your point >_>

    So you are proud of a political entities achievements simply because you happened to be born inside it? If I were French should I only be proud of France's past achievements and no one else, be proud of only France, because I was lucky enough to get born inside it's borders on the map?

    My main problem isn't with being proud, it is with being of proud of a nation state. It's illogical to be proud of a political entity and give it your pride for it's history and achievements. If you want to be proud of something stop looking in the short term and be proud of humanity for it's achievements.

    Religion is dying out, and patriotism surely isn't on the grow (even in the US, huge peak after 9/11 but people are question the govt. again). As we grow more civilised, these things disappear gradually but you will have to wait another few hundred years and hope we don't destroy ourselves to see humanity without these problems.

    oops, mustve missed this first time around, im not usually one to shy away from this kind of argument. sorry for leaving it so late hobo, and sorry for calling you a cunt, i must have been on my period...

    anyhoo...

    fair point about not having a choice in the country you're born in, but by that logic why should we be proud of our parents or siblings for their achievements? just because you happen to be born of the same family. its all about how youre brought up i suppose, i'm proud of scotland because there are elements of my own personality that are linked with the country i am from, you can go to any country in the world and say youre scottish and youre instantly greeted with a warm smile as images of whisky, comeraderie, kilts, shortbread, etc wash in your hosts heads, the scots are famous for being outgoing, inventive, intelligent, witty, compassionate and these are all positive traits to have associated with your country of origin. thankfully very few of our (admittedly many) negative traits have been broadcast to the rest of the world.

    youre right, it is a bit stupid to be proud of a nation state, but then its stupid to be proud of being a radiohead fan, yet if i asked you to make a straight choice between which you'd rather spend a year living with; a radiohead fan or a timmy mallet fan, im sure i know which one most people would go for.

    homogenisation can be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing i suppose, i like being able to identify myself through the things i am, the things i like, and where i come from (hence the user name), its these things that make me individual and distinct from other people, and if i want to do a bit of flag waving and celebrate my country then thats my perogative. i'd say its harmless but there are examples all over the world where people take religion and nationalism too far and it would be nice to have a united world where war and chest beating are a thing of the past. but then, wouldnt that be terribly terribly boring?

    well, no, it would be brilliant but message boards would become defunct...
  • DaM 1 Dec 2009 10:43:16 12,972 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope Hobo's waiting a year till he gets stuck back in :)
  • dufftownallan 1 Dec 2009 10:57:13 4,724 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    me too tbh! the nationlism argument doesnt hold up too well...
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Dec 2009 11:13:04 44,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's always Happy St. Capitals Day on EG ^____^
  • Deleted user 1 December 2009 11:16:51
    I thought it was Happy Fuck You day?

    I've no problem with a bit of national pride. Who doesn't find pitching for their team a good laugh now and again?

    When it gets hijacked, that's another thing. As usual for EG people take things too far in either direction though.
  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply