How can you spot a Jasper Arcade?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Lutzie 29 Nov 2008 13:03:19 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How can you twll the Jasper 360 arcades apart from the older ones? Is there a new box cover or something as they ship with NXE installed?
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 13:04:51 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    150watt PSU.
  • Lutzie 29 Nov 2008 13:08:31 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wouldn't that mean I'd have to open the box? Which is tricky before purchase...

(sorry I can't click links ATM. Mobile on slow connection)
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2008 13:09:48 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no memory card... so I assume they'll mark the box differently.
  • Petrarch 29 Nov 2008 13:10:03 3,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There should be a sticker on the side of the box with the lot number and such that will also have the wattage stamped on it.
  • smugla 29 Nov 2008 13:11:21 2,134 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smash it up then you can tell

but its has to have a x and later than 4 xxx to be a casper
    they no longer show the PSU on the box anymore
  • Lutzie 29 Nov 2008 13:13:21 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the wattage is on the side on a sticker?
  • Lutzie 29 Nov 2008 13:25:06 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What do you mean by an x and 4xxx/ Serial number?
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 14:10:24 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It looks like the first Jasper motherboards (which should have the new 65nm GPU) are now out in the wild!
    Moddage posted pictures of his new Jasper 360 on our forums (here and here) and we also received some pictures from The Dude Z. Both are Arcade SKUs made 10-23-2008 Lot #0843X by Team FDOU.

The new power supply is now 150W (25W less than those used with Falcon boards) and the plug has of course been changed so u can't plugin this PSU into an older motherboard.

Other unannounced change ... the onboard flash chip has grown from 16MB to 256MB. Microsoft included internal memory storage, so the Arcade SKU now ships without (external) Memory Unit and the new NXE dash will install fully on the flashchip (rather than requiring a HDD or external MU). But the internal memory can also be used to store gamesave data, XBLA games, videos or whatever ... u can use it asif it was an external MU. As the flash chip is also used for the kernel/keyvault/dash etc there seems to be about 214MB left according to scoldingice on our forums to store your own stuff (this is prior NXE install, if you install NXE it will take most of the space).
    I'm guessing the Jasper PRO and Elite SKUs will also come with this internal memory. It's just cheaper for Microsoft to make 1 type of motherboard for all SKUs rather than making a different version for each SKU. Also seems logic in a way ... get the full NXE dash on the internal flash is much 'cleaner' than using HDD/MU for it.

The motherboard design didn't change much ... besides the bigger flash and what's probably the new 65nm GPU, we also see a new south bridge model ... the rest (videochip, CPU, heatsinks, general board layout, ...) seems pretty much similar to falcon boards.

It also appears there are RAM chips on the bottom of the board again (without thermal pads even) ... Microsoft recently switched to RAM chips with double capacity so they could drop the 4 chips on bottom (and only place 4 on the top) ... but apparently they are back (old stock maybe?). However the type of RAM chips they use is not bound to the motherboard revision ... there are falcon boards with RAM chips only on the top and falcon boards with RAM chips on both top and bottom. Same can happen for the jasper boards.
  • DodgyPast 29 Nov 2008 14:21:38 8,538 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The internal RAM is a nice addition.

Hopefully will be in a position to afford one by February now I've decided on the monitor I want to buy and have saved up most of the money for it.

/If I'm not distracted into buying a new graphics card in order to drive 1080P and above resolutions
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 14:37:32 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The enlarged internal flash also means it now comes with half the internal storage of the Wii.... without plugging any storage into it :)
  • Lutzie 29 Nov 2008 14:42:54 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers oh bearded one.

So surely the key is to check the contents. If it comes with an MU then it ain't a Jasper
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2008 15:51:43 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Eh? Have they revised the 360 again? Does this variation actually work then?
    You're not that dense are you? Don't answer that.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 16:15:44
    Just buy one after christmas. The stock replenishment will be all new 360's. At the rate of 360 sales at the moment it won't be long until the older models are sold out and replaced.

• Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 16:56:10 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Eh? Have they revised the 360 again? Does this variation actually work then?
    The last revision 'worked', RRoDs are well within sensible numbers now. This is just a standard wattage / nm reduction. :)

With games copied to HDD my Falcon Arcade is quieter t an my PS3! :o
  • makeamazing 29 Nov 2008 17:03:28 425 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Retroid Im not convinced that is the case.. I guess it will take a while for the "Older" machines to get through the system before people are more aware of the new failure rate.

@evilfoxhound I would still be careful buying if you are hoping to get a Jasper. First dont go to a small store, they are likely to be the type of store that hasnt sold all stock and got new machines. Secondly not all larger stores will necessarily have "New" stock, some old stock sits at warehouses for a while.

Not sure what the best advice for buying is, perhaps anyone who gets a Jasper could compare the boxes and see if anything is different. Its a shame MS arnt highlighting the fact they contain the new Jasper chip.
  • Aretak 29 Nov 2008 17:07:34 10,376 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evilfoxhound wrote:
    Just buy one after christmas. The stock replenishment will be all new 360's. At the rate of 360 sales at the moment it won't be long until the older models are sold out and replaced.
    I think there's still quite a bit of stock to go through. I got a new one from Amazon yesterday and it was manufactured in July. And I imagine they've been selling like crazy there lately with the excellent offer they were doing and the time of year.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2008 17:21:31 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A July manufacturing date is pretty recent really. Wont take long to get through a couple of months of older stock at xmas.

makeamazing wrote:
    Its a shame MS arnt highlighting the fact they contain the new Jasper chip.
    Yeah... that's really not in their interest, or the interest of retailers.
  • Aretak 29 Nov 2008 18:50:23 10,376 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    That I can believe - my PS3 has gotten steadily worse to the point that it almost sounds as bad as my 360 did, especially when playing BluRay stuff.
    Take a hoover to the vents. My launch model is still incredibly quiet.
  • MrSpew 29 Nov 2008 19:13:18 970 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool idea about the internal storage, that's quite unexpected. I'm almost tempted to upgrade.. if I didn't already have mine modded!
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 19:45:34 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Retroid wrote:
    The last revision 'worked', RRoDs are well within sensible numbers now.
    Sensible "in comparison to previous numbers" or do you mean the figures are now genuinely low?
    Genuinely. As for as I've heard, anyway, and Psychotext has had number up here before which seem to bear that out.

Which is why it's so annoying to have 'RRoDlol' thrown allover the place still, when it has been sorted (and MS would have to be bloody idiots not to fix it when they narrowed it down). We're just left with the consequences of MS' cheap bastard initial cost-cutting and refurb units :/
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 19:48:22
    Internal 256 or removable 512? Seems people are getting fucked over slightly.
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2008 19:53:25 45,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure but it might still come with a memory card, I've heard nothing to say it doesnt. After all, the internal flash is just an upgrade from the existing 16mb to 256mb, and I think its just in response to NXE needing more storage.
  • spindizzy 29 Nov 2008 19:54:54 6,610 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Internal 256 as far as I understand, and fucked over how exactly?
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 19:57:23
    That's not the information I have received. I was told not to look for a memory card.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2008 21:50:40 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    N@ wrote:
    Internal 256 or removable 512? Seems people are getting fucked over slightly.
    The arcade comes with a 256mb card... not a 512mb.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 22:23:34
    That's not the information I have received! This excuse rocks.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2008 22:25:22 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Take whoever is giving you information, kick them square in the nuts. Tell them Eurogamer sent you.

They'll understand.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 22:48:55
    Well the internet gave me the information. I'm not gonna kick the internet in the nuts, you can if you want though...
  • Deleted user 29 November 2008 23:13:45
    Because then people wouldn't buy the old models. Duh.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous