Xbox games on 360 - screen problems

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Fonzie 24 Nov 2008 12:35:09 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have had a HDTV for just over a month now and the picture quality for 360 games is great. However, yesterday I thought I would have a go at some original xbox games (Morrowind and Jade Empire). When I load the games up, they will play fine in a small screen in the middle of the screen (4:3?) with large black borders on the left and right of the screen. The picture looks really good, much better than on my CRT but the CRT displayed the image full screen.

Has any one else experienced this problem or is it just me? Why would original xbox games not display a full widescreen image? Do I need to change any settings on my 360 when playing original xbox games?

Any help here would be much appreciated as I am on a mission to complete all my unfinished games and a few of them are on xbox.
  • Spectral 24 Nov 2008 12:37:40 4,991 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dont think most xbox games support widescreen. Your old TV will have just been stretching the picture. Most TV's have the option to force the display mode, there should be a button on the remote to cycle through them. Everything will look too fat though.
  • Luvbeers 24 Nov 2008 12:39:09 918 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try Halo 2 to compare. It worked great in widescreen on my 360 for me.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 12:40:48 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you played non-widescreen games stretched to widescreen then you should be killed.

/Harsh but fair
  • Deleted user 24 November 2008 12:42:25
    Retroid wrote:
    If you played non-widescreen games stretched to widescreen then you should be killed.

/Harsh but fair

+1
  • Fonzie 24 Nov 2008 12:43:35 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok will try Halo 2 and see. On my CRT all I did was set my screen to 16:9 and on the system settings on the xbox set to widescreen. The picture always looked fine to me. Even with the same settings, my new tv will not display anything other than the smaller image.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 12:48:30 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like you didn't have an RGB cable, that would've switched the telly aspect for you.
  • Fonzie 24 Nov 2008 12:51:58 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With my original xbox I had the official microsoft RGB cable.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 12:54:53 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    .... odd.

I've got a third-party RGB cable for my Xbox and it always switched.

BUT ANYWAY

The 360 is showing you the proper aspect for the games :)
  • Fonzie 24 Nov 2008 13:11:32 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn it. Oh well, will just have to make do then. Cheers everyone for your help.
  • Spectral 24 Nov 2008 13:18:55 4,991 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you checked the remote? I've never seen a TV where you cant overide the aspect ratio settings if you want to.
  • daz_john_smith 24 Nov 2008 13:21:01 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you want to get rid of the borders and stretch out the image for Original XBox games on 360, go to the settings and switch to 480p. This definitely stretched out Halo on the old dashboard, don't know if it still work's on the NXE. Obviously you just switch back to a HD 720 or 1080 when you're done.
  • Fonzie 24 Nov 2008 13:30:57 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    If you want to get rid of the borders and stretch out the image for Original XBox games on 360, go to the settings and switch to 480p. This definitely stretched out Halo on the old dashboard, don't know if it still work's on the NXE. Obviously you just switch back to a HD 720 or 1080 when you're done.

I could try this but I'm sure this made the image worse (even smaller) when I messed around yesterday. Will have another go though. I am playing through HDMI on Panasonic TH37PX80BA. PS2 plays fine on full screen image and even though people on here seem against it, I prefer a full screen than a small box in the middle of the screen.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 13:45:29 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    If you want to get rid of the borders and stretch out the image for Original XBox games on 360, go to the settings and switch to 480p. This definitely stretched out Halo on the old dashboard, don't know if it still work's on the NXE.
    WORSE THAN HITLER
  • daz_john_smith 24 Nov 2008 13:47:02 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    daz_john_smith wrote:

I used switching to 480p to get rid of the bordered issue on 2 different Philip's HDTV's and 2 different 360's, but both were using the official HD component cables and it was on the old dashboard.

I also prefered the stretched image on games that didn't natively support widscreen. TBH Halo for example didn't feel like it was streched alot when it filled out the widescreen, wereas a 4:3 move/video stretched over widescreen looks ghastly.
  • daz_john_smith 24 Nov 2008 13:52:50 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    If you want to get rid of the borders and stretch out the image for Original XBox games on 360, go to the settings and switch to 480p. This definitely stretched out Halo on the old dashboard, don't know if it still work's on the NXE.
    WORSE THAN HITLER

My apologies Retroid :). Obviously playing in the native screen ratio is always the prefered method, but Original XBox games on 360 with those black borders look pretyy bad, wereas stretched to widescreen they don't actually appear stretched that much.

No what's the deal with 360 games forcing widescreen on non-widescreen displays? RE4 on Gamecube did it for performance reasons and I hardly noticed anyway, but Forza does it and now GHWT does it and it's slightly annoying. Why is GHWT forcing itself to run in widescreen on my poor old 21" CRT.
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 13:58:11 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wrong aspects make me cry.

I always find it *very* noticeable in games, and Morrowind in particular does an odd perspective stretch on the sides of the screen so I'd honestly hate to think what it'd look like on a widescreen telly!
  • daz_john_smith 24 Nov 2008 14:00:51 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only ever played Halo stretched and I got the impression that it had some extra visual info lurking offscreen so it didn't require too much stretching. I'm surprised more Original Xbox games didn't support widescreen from launch
  • Retroid Moderator 24 Nov 2008 14:09:33 44,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's laziness and some really quite daft decisions from publishers.

I can understand games not supporting widescreen back then as it cut down on work and widescreen was far less common (the inverse is true now so that's why quite a few 360 games have black bars at the top and bottom on 4x3 aspect screens). But there are quite a few Xbox games which were forced to run in 50hz in their European releases and that makes *no* sense when the Xbox had a 60hz toggle in the dahboard settings.

/Can't play Psychonauts, Ghost Recon 2 on VGA because of this
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next