Gears of war 2 disc unreadable error - can anyone help?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 20 November 2008 02:25:16
    I bought Gears of War 2 two weeks ago from Zavvi.co.uk. I also bought a new 360 console from amazon just last week. For the first few days I only played the campaign mode of gears 2 and everything was fine. On the 11th of November I started playing Multiplayer. Since then, I have been plagued with constant disc unreadable errors when playing online. For a while I would be able to play for about an hour before getting the disc unreadable error. Now I get it as soon as the map loads at the start of a match. It also happens in campaign. It has made the game unplayable for me.

I did a google search for 'gears of war 2 disc unreadable' and no one seems to know if it's a console issue or a faulty disc. Some of the comments said it usually means the console is about to fail when you get disc read errors. I do not believe it's the console however because it's brand new with a manufacturing date of 08-12-2008. Also I have tried other games and they are working fine (tried Gears 1 and Crackdown)

I have tried clearing the cache and wiping the disc but that just seems to have made the problem worse.
    I've just got no idea what to do. Brand new game, brand new console yet I am unable to play. Should I send the disc back to Zavvi? I could not finding anything in their t&c's about faulty goods. What if it's not the disc?

I had this problem with the original Gears of War. I was able to sort it by using microsoft's disc replacement program. Not an option this time unfortunately because Gears 2 isn't on the list of games covered by that program.
    http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/gamesandmedia/games/discreplacement/DiscReplacement.aspx

Also, the NXE update was released today. My hopes were raised when I read that installing the game to the HDD would solve disc unreadable error problems. I thought that because it would be reading from the HDD rather than the disc, I wouldn't get any errors. I was wrong though. I was able to install the game to the HDD but I am still getting Disc Unreadable.

A lot of people are complaining about long waits in matchmaking. For me that's a non-issue because when I do find a match I get a DRE :(

Any other EGers had this disc unreadable error with gears 2 or any other recent games? What did you do to fix it?
  • Psychotext 20 Nov 2008 02:36:28 61,813 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems to be a bad batch of Gears 2 discs floating around with exactly this problem. I'd actually try taking it back to a Zavvi store rather than mailing it to them (quicker that way).
  • HAIRGROW 24 Dec 2008 22:28:11 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I normally don't do the forums, but this is an issue I was just researching and when I found this, I had to say something. I was just playing my brand new Xbox with a brand new copy of Gears of War 2 and then all of a sudden, 'Disk Unreadable'. I thought, ok, maybe this was just a fluke. So I popped it out, cleaned the disk, AND the cd rom, and to my dismay, the same error. I even took the copy I just bought, back to Game Stop and exchanged it. Played for a little awhile, and BOOM!!!. Disk Unreadable. This has happen too many times over a span of 5 days. The guy at Game Stop gave me some excuse about downloading some "Update" online through Xbox Live, and that would fix the problem. I thought it was kinda lame, considering, I specifically bought a brand new console to avoid the hassles that come with used items. I knew it would cost a little more, but it's quality and performance your paying for. And in todays economy that means a lot. This is an issue that seriously needs to be addressed. So I would hope that other 'Gears' and fellow XBoxers voice your opinion if you too are having problems.
  • Articulate-Troll 24 Dec 2008 22:38:07 3,098 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's Santa's punishment for opening your Christmas present early.
  • wayneh 24 Dec 2008 22:47:56 2,599 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better be quick taking it ack to Zavvi as they have just gone tits up
  • PhatCat 28 Dec 2008 03:30:25 12 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had the same trouble. I found that the Live update was corrupting the HHD install somehow. I fixed it by clearing the cache, deleting the HDD install, then updating via live. Reinstalling it to the HDD fixed the dirty disc errors.
  • dudesout 29 Dec 2008 16:37:40 2 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi. I had/have the same problem. I have tried 3 gears of war discs that did the same thing. unfortunatly i cant get a full refund. yes the discs were from the same shop so i think it must be a bad batch.
  • dudesout 29 Dec 2008 17:30:49 2 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just install it to your hard drive. I just tried it with my 3rd disk that dosent work and now i can play it. try it yourself
  • neilka 29 Dec 2008 17:34:34 20,463 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Toothpaste and a Brillo pad is the best thing for it, I saw it on Tomorrow's World.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 29 Dec 2008 17:36:35 8,934 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did you put it in the disc tray upside down?
  • dr_swin 29 Dec 2008 17:37:55 4,927 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had the same problem with the first gears. Mine had a nasty circumferential scratch on it from moving the console whilst the disc was spinning. (to get more air to the thing). I had my disc resurfaced and it worked fine afterwards.
  • banjoted 29 Dec 2008 18:02:20 1,500 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like a hardware problem rather than an issue with the game. RROD on the way perhaps...
  • earthworm.jim 30 Dec 2008 02:46:04 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    microsoft has got to get there shit together.
  • candcgamer76 30 Dec 2008 03:22:38 1 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had the same problem. To see if it was just Gears of War 2 that was causing the problem, I tried installing it to the hard drive along with some other games. None of the games would install, even though the other games would run fine. In the end, I sent my 360 to Microsoft due to a faulty disc drive laser. My 360 was relatively new, also, having just received it from a repair. I got my 360 back, and now everything works fine. All in all, I would probably just send the 360 to Microsoft.
  • Scooper3 3 Jan 2009 16:17:26 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm on my 4th g o w 2 disk fromwalmart. after some investagating I found out it is not a consol problem but a problem of region. meaning these disks were ment for a nother country and are not compatable with xbox 360's from another country - suks.
  • morriss 3 Jan 2009 16:23:48 71,290 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's bollocks, yeah.
  • Blaze070493 21 Jan 2009 14:51:20 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had exactly the same problem..need to send it off to be repaired :(

"The disc is unreadable. please clean with a sot cloth. and restart your console. =/
  • lerxst01 28 Mar 2009 00:37:48 3 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you ever get this problem solved?

I am on my 4th GofW2 disc and I get the same problem. Works fine on every other game, and GofW2 works if I remove my hard drive and play!?!

Microsoft support is absolutely no help - the "support tech" I was lucky enough to get in touch with does not even own his own X-Box! What the heck is that?
  • Syrette 28 Mar 2009 00:40:59 49,125 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't for the life of me understand why people own a 360 or an iPod for instance, will look at the product almost every day, not to mention talking about it, and yet still can't spell the name properly.

Xbox.

iPod.

Not X-Box.

Not I-Pod.

/trivial
  • Red-Moose 28 Mar 2009 01:05:40 5,344 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    you need to even out the scratches on the disc as they are causing the laser to skip. Do you have an angle grinder? It would help a lot as doing it manually would take a long time.
  • Red-Moose 28 Mar 2009 01:07:03 5,344 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    I can't for the life of me understand why people own a 360 or an iPod for instance, will look at the product almost every day, not to mention talking about it, and yet still can't spell the name properly.

Xbox.

iPod.

Not X-Box.

Not I-Pod.

/trivial

X-Box is better though because it's pronounced "Ex Box". If it's Xbox, the only way to reasonably pronounce it IMHO in English is "Zebox", which sounds fuckign French and untrusthworthy, TBH.
  • lerxst01 28 Mar 2009 01:54:39 3 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't be a dickhole foreverafternothing and Red Moose.

I'm looking for answers to questions. Not annoying post from dickweeds that have nothing better to do with their time than nit-pick people's posts.
  • Rodchenko 28 Mar 2009 10:35:32 422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try getting the disc resurfaced at some office supply store, or a store that specializes in data-recovery. It only costs about $3 to $5 and it'll be like a brand new game. My xBOx (I did that on purpose to piss someone off) put circular scratches on my copy of PES which became unusable as a consequence. Once resurfaced, everything was fine.
  • Lexx87 28 Mar 2009 11:25:00 20,853 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lerxst01 wrote:
    Don't be a dickhole foreverafternothing and Red Moose.

I'm looking for answers to questions. Not annoying post from dickweeds that have nothing better to do with their time than nit-pick people's posts.

/handbags
  • lerxst01 30 Mar 2009 02:47:14 3 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago

I think I figured out what the problem is/was...I deleted some of the GofW2 data on the hard drive and that seemed to fix it.

Specifically:
    I removed the game
    Both Expansion packs
    Several pictures.
  • fuzen_angels 10 Oct 2009 13:50:01 4 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi all,

I am having the same problem with my girlfriends Xbox360. Same error while playing system link horde. Both discs work fine in mine, but crash after a while in hers!

Mine has a 60gb hard drive, hers is an acarde. With the others that have experienced this issue, are they arcade systems?

Cheers
  • dither 10 Oct 2009 14:11:43 149 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you tried any other discs, fuzen? Her console may have a disc drive problem.
  • fuzen_angels 10 Oct 2009 15:21:20 4 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Other games are ok on her system. We both play system link on Ghost Recon 2, with no problems. I am wondering if it is the high action and graphics, make the sytem crash, because it is an Arcade model and only has a small memory stick to process through. Not sure if it works like that, but that would explain things.

Interesting how the machine set up was, for all the other people, who had the same GOW2 problem.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.