World War Z Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• localnotail 30 Sep 2010 16:12:03 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    edit please, I can't breathe in here

edits: whooo actually, I'm ok over here on the next page

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2010 16:13:06 39,384 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry I had no idea that would happen!

Also Amazon dont have it in stock!

WHAT TO DO?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• BinaryBob101 30 Sep 2010 16:14:04 22,284 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    You HAVE to read it, I read the early draft of the script and as good as it was they cannot do some of it justice without a massive budget.

Not necessarily, Children of Men didn't have a massive budget and conveyed itself pretty well.

Beautiful tender beings.

• localnotail 30 Sep 2010 16:14:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Sorry I had no idea that would happen!

Also Amazon dont have it in stock!

WHAT TO DO?!

Bookshop?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Venkman90 30 Sep 2010 16:30:21 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Venkman90 wrote:
    You HAVE to read it, I read the early draft of the script and as good as it was they cannot do some of it justice without a massive budget.

Not necessarily, Children of Men didn't have a massive budget and conveyed itself pretty well.

I can't really go into detail as I don't want to spoil the book, but there are scenes and set pieces that, I feel would either require a VERY creative Director or a lot of money.

Yonkers
    Indian Shipyard
    ISS

etc...

Matt Reeves could do it, see Cloverfield for example.
  • Gartt 30 Sep 2010 16:40:03 1,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think someone mentioned it in another thread but it would probably work better as a tv series due to the episodic nature of the book. Really need to read it again, loved it the first time round.

edit. haha was actually in this thread.
  • BinaryBob101 30 Sep 2010 16:48:15 22,284 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Venkman90 wrote:

I can't really go into detail as I don't want to spoil the book, but there are scenes and set pieces that, I feel would either require a VERY creative Director or a lot of money.

Yonkers
    Indian Shipyard
    ISS

etc...

Matt Reeves could do it, see Cloverfield for example.

Cloverfield is comparably a pretty cheap film.

Gartt is right though, a TV show would be good.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Venkman90 30 Sep 2010 16:55:21 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes it was cheap, which is why I mentioned it, you are correct that a huge budget is not needed but if they don't get one they better nail the Director.
  • Gartt 30 Sep 2010 17:03:49 1,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its going to be interesting to see how walking dead does on tv. If thats successful then it might help wwz a bit.
  • Gambit1977 30 Sep 2010 17:23:50 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WwZ is a brilliant book, but as a film I can see them developing one central character...and that just isn't what WWZ is about.
  • BinaryBob101 30 Sep 2010 17:28:42 22,284 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Yes it was cheap, which is why I mentioned it, you are correct that a huge budget is not needed but if they don't get one they better nail the Director.

Yeah, I'm not convinced on Marc Forster really. Quantum of Solace was shit, but his work on the Lewis Carol film was great. Bit of an odd one, but he sounds very confident.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deckard1 30 Sep 2010 17:31:33 27,140 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Will I still be able to watch this if I missed A though Y?

/the veal, try it.
  • LazyNinjaUk 2 Oct 2010 18:59:59 148 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I read WWZ while on holiday in Japan in 2007 and after finishing was waiting to hear they would make it into a film, since then I've heard various rumors about the state of the project. While I think the prospect of a movie would still be great, the idea of a high budget HBO mini series like Band of Brothers was long rumoured and I thought that would be the best way to go, as it would allow for many different stories to take place - one per episode.
  • Nostrus 2 Oct 2010 19:20:47 376 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Would WWZ garner enough of a following to justify a high-budget mini-series though? It's far more likely to make money from the average joe on the street as a movie, unfortunately.
  • LazyNinjaUk 3 Oct 2010 19:09:04 148 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nostrus wrote:
    Would WWZ garner enough of a following to justify a high-budget mini-series though? It's far more likely to make money from the average joe on the street as a movie, unfortunately.

If The Walking Dead tv series does well, there could be a chance. :)
  • Deleted user 3 October 2010 19:34:41
    Easy way to introduce a central character.....the guy who puts the book together. He goes around the world and talks to other people, it flashes back to their experiences. As the film follows the guy you see a lot of stuff about what the new world is like, and you add in some backstory or element of the plot to tie in the guy. If I can come up with that in a few seconds then I'm sure someone making the film could do better...
  • Venkman90 4 Oct 2010 08:54:50 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HappyHaunt wrote:
    Easy way to introduce a central character.....the guy who puts the book together. He goes around the world and talks to other people, it flashes back to their experiences. As the film follows the guy you see a lot of stuff about what the new world is like, and you add in some backstory or element of the plot to tie in the guy. If I can come up with that in a few seconds then I'm sure someone making the film could do better...

Well there is a solid screenplay out there, with the writer being hired by the UN, you see the "new world" as kind of like Children of Men, bleak but familiar. Having to give blood as you travel through borders (and a full strip search).

All the storys are told in flashback, but the writer is just a narrator, the plot never touches him as he is there to be your eyes and ears. The ending written is very much like the ending of the BSG TV series:

with the closing comments of the people interviewd suggesting this could all happen again once our childeren forget the lessons we learned etc... I could even imagine All Along the Watchtower playing over the montage
  • gammonbanter 8 Oct 2010 23:12:17 1,486 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't Brad Pitt own the rights to the movie?

It's a great book! Hope it never gets made into a TV/film!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• BillMurray 22 Mar 2011 18:48:50 7,607 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.slashfilm.com/world-war-z-die-money-marc-forster-agrees-pg13/

Oh dear :(
  • Deleted user 22 March 2011 19:40:36
    I'll be surprised if Walking Dead gets past the second season to be honest, in the first season it was already getting "tired" and showing massive plot holes;

*Inconsistent zombies coming back - outside the CDC building loads of the army guys are dead, you have to assume killed by zombies, yet they stay dead? Are we supposed to assume these guys headshot themselves as they die? The story is that the scent of humans triggers them, so by rights the group should stand no chance of getting in the building!

*The dead guy in the tank? He crawls in, is not so hurt that he locks down the tank hatch, then rather than moving the damn thing just sits there and dies?

*The CDC building is - according to the crazy scientist - mega proofed against terrorist attack. Yet a grenade shatters the window pretty easy and why have glass armored windows when you have massive steel shutters?

Ultimately, it is missing what any good tv series needs to have; hope that the story will have a conclusion. Walking Dead only ends when they are all dead. There is no hope of coming back from what has happened.

World War Z is different and thats why it CAN work as a series with a clear arc, or at worst a film. I don't see how a film can convey the span of time, but I guess it's possible and will have to focus on the USA aspect the most to work.

Time will tell, but I think we will see some kind of media based on it, eventually.
  • matrim83 22 Mar 2011 19:47:25 5,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow if its really PG13 then they might as well not bother making it.

Valar morghulis.

• AaronTurner 22 Mar 2011 19:51:15 7,591 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest those aren't really very bad plot holes, I could name another very popular series that lasted years and had 10x as many plot holes in one episode. I thought the series was excellent but I suppose that's for a different thread.
  • LazyNinjaUk 22 Mar 2011 20:26:14 148 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PG13/12A is pointless, everyone under the age of 15 should just stick to watching Disney and Shrek films until they are old enough to see tits and gore.
  • BinaryBob101 22 Mar 2011 23:07:06 22,284 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just flatly refuse to believe that this will happen.

Until it comes out.

JUST FUCK THIS FUCKING SHIT!

Beautiful tender beings.

• Venkman90 23 Mar 2011 09:50:19 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Studios have become a little risk averse on Sci-Fi right now, with films like Scott Pilgrim doing amazing hype work at Comic-Con then failing to turn much of a profit...

Especially a big budget Zombie movie, when Shaun of the Dead can make bank by spending very little, which is all the studio cares about really.

Thing is, Pitt's company own the rights iirc, can't he just wave his fee / work for minimum union wage but then star in it, would make the studio a bit more happy would it not?
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Mar 2011 09:54:32 39,384 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They better not fuck this up. Having read this thread I read the book. The book became my favourite book ever.

It's all your fault!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Venkman90 23 Mar 2011 10:08:37 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I would be surprised if it gets made at this point. Chasing more money and a PG13 rating means the studio are all up in its shit to make money, which could lead to the director walking (usually does) and saving face if it flops.

DOTD remake did pretty well but it was cheap to make, this has many large set pieces that I doubt you could do on the cheap.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jun 2011 23:29:35 22,284 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here. So, alongside Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox has also been cast.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deleted user 15 June 2011 23:31:12
    Ed Harris is on board as well, looks like they have come out of development hell.
  • magicpanda 16 Jun 2011 12:48:10 13,265 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've started filming \o/

They will be in Glasgow in august doing lots of filming.

Which part of the book takes place in Philadelphia? Yonkers is New York I'm struggling to remember anything in Philadelphia
  • Page

of 10 First / Last