• BinaryBob101 3 Jun 2013 19:12:04 22,353 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bloodless zombie movie = Fuck off.

Beautiful tender beings.

• oceanmotion 3 Jun 2013 19:18:08 15,673 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be entertaining. I don't want to see a Dawn of the Dead like film or a Walking Dead film.

If you think about it, how on earth could Zombies cause such hassle if they were slow even with sheer numbers. Being fast is a bit, yeah but still, we could take them.

Only things I can knock it for is using the book name when it has little to do with it, the swarm reminding me of I am Legend, and look, it's Glasgow which stands out so much.

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:26:02 03-06-2013
  • ronuds 3 Jun 2013 19:23:10 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could barely tell the threat was from zombies in the first trailer I saw - and knowing nothing of the book I didn't know. Since discovering they were zombies my hype has gone down quite a bit, but it still looks tense and exciting, imo.
  • spamdangled 3 Jun 2013 19:28:51 27,271 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I never heard of the book and thought this looked great! It's the only film I want to actually go see atm.
    Wouldn't make a difference if you had. Aside from the name, this has fuck all in common with it.

The book is excellent, I hope that some day we actually get the adaptation it deserves rather than being treated like this.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 19:50:47 58,915 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WWZ and The Zombie Survival Guide both changed the way I idly daydream about surviving an apocalypse up to and including the decision to shave my mullet off.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Whizzo 22 Jun 2013 16:15:29 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw the film today, it really is World War Z in name only as there's virtually nothing in the book (or The Zombie Survival Guide) that is similar, the zombies aren't even zombies but closer to rage infected people.

There's fucktons of plotholes and dumb things that show it was re-written over and over and it's all a bit of a mess really.

However, I still actually enjoyed it despite all that, 6/10.

Glasgow certainly didn't look very Scottish in the film and I know they filmed some of it in my hometown of Aldershot as well but fucked if I know which bit, maybe the South Korean airfield?

Edited by Whizzo at 16:15:49 22-06-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Benno 22 Jun 2013 18:58:11 9,804 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What did you enjoy about it? I am thinking of seeing it tomorrow
  • Whizzo 22 Jun 2013 19:13:28 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The action is decent, obviously virtually bloodless as it's a PG-13 film, things explode and it's pretty good up until it gets really sunny then it's all downhill after that really.

How one of the characters checks out is actually rather funny, I don't think the scriptwriters (of which there are lots, JMS is happy he got his credit even though none of his script is probably used) intended it to be, it's a case of Chekhov's Gun Handling I suppose.

It is in no way a good film.

Oh and the snippets of what happened around the world looks like a much better movie than WWZ turned out, the Battle for Moscow looked like it would have been great but not possible in a PG-13.

The Battle of Yonkers is sadly missed, it doesn't make any real sense in the book as Brooks patently knows fuck all about how military weapons work but as they're not really zeds in this it wouldn't work anyway.

Edited by Whizzo at 19:21:35 22-06-2013

• Benno 22 Jun 2013 20:30:22 9,804 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm okay, thanks. It sounds like what I was expecting. It's a pity they didn't stick closer with the book.

I am booked in to see it tomorrow anyway, I'm sure with such low expectations I'll find it entertaining enough!
  • beastmaster 24 Jun 2013 12:41:23 11,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's had a strong BO opening. Guess what?

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/world-war-z-sequel-in-the-works

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Whizzo 24 Jun 2013 12:52:17 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given that it leaves it wide open for one at the end it's not surprising, even in the book (that the film bears no resemblance to) it did take years to mop up.

Not that the film's "solution" is actually what the book has or something that actually makes any sense.

However that applies to most of the movie not just the ending.

Hopefully the sequel won't wuss out on the blood and gore, showing the Battle of Moscow for example.

Except it won't, it'll be Gerry (Brad Pitt) doing the same thing again.

I would just like to thank Cineworld for their Unlimited pass. :-)

• Benno 24 Jun 2013 13:11:44 9,804 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was actually better than I was expecting. Certainly not a great film by any stretch, but I found it entertaining enough. At no point was I checking my watch, and the plot holes I picked up on weren't massively offensive.
  • twelveways 24 Jun 2013 13:20:00 3,870 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

The Battle of Yonkers is sadly missed, it doesn't make any real sense in the book as Brooks patently knows fuck all about how military weapons work.
    Hi, can you expand on this please?
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Jun 2013 13:25:23 14,080 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed. Better than I expected, went in with really REALLY low expectations.

Random thoughts (with spoilers, which will be spoiler tagged);
    - First 20 minutes was great. Fantastic even. 2nd chapter in Israel was interesting/decent enough. 3rd act was pretty damn lame and one could tell it was filmed separately from the rest of the movie.

The death of the main scientist has to go down as one of the dumbest deaths ever in Hollywood. Here you have a scene set in a dark rainy airport filled with zombies. I could think of 101 ways to kill this guy as a writer, and you have him slip and shoot himself in the head?

Ending was pretty lame.

Never read the book. Could someone tell me how it really ends compared to the book?
  • Whizzo 24 Jun 2013 13:33:16 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    twelveways wrote:Hi, can you expand on this please?

Fortunately TV Tropes covers a lot of the problems.

Also thermobaric bombs wouldn't rip the lungs out of zombies like Brooks suggests, that's completely absurd, they'd be obliterated, they're the closest things to nukes without going nuclear we have.

Edited by Whizzo at 13:33:51 24-06-2013

• Whizzo 24 Jun 2013 13:38:24 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:Never read the book. Could someone tell me how it really ends compared to the book?
    Mankind, hiding in high walled safe zones, changes tactics and equipment and eventually puts an end to the zombie menace after years of fighting.

The book is a series of interviews of people's experiences during WWZ after most of the mop up work has been done.

Edited by Whizzo at 13:38:47 24-06-2013

• beastmaster 24 Jun 2013 13:46:11 11,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed this film a LOT more than Man Of Steel. As mentioned, I though the first two acts were very good. I think (but I'm not sure) that they actually filmed a third act which was ditched in favor of the new one they shot.

I'd love to see the directors cut of that. It's significantly different and bleaker. Could turn what was for me a surprisingly decent film into an excellent one.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Benno 24 Jun 2013 14:08:18 9,804 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed it more than Man of Steel as well.
  • Whizzo 24 Jun 2013 14:12:31 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I think you're both nuts, Man of Steel is a far better movie.

• Benno 24 Jun 2013 14:24:28 9,804 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first half yeah.
  • GuiltySpark 24 Jun 2013 16:07:28 6,325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War Z was basically the second half of Man of Steel: an over the top 'spectacle' with no depth or the adeptness to make us actually give a shit about who wins.

This was a fairly poor film, from Gerry's family and his prior involvement with whatever the fuck job he was meant to have, to the 'solution', which was simply an "Oh shit, we have no idea how to end this film happily." situation.

Having an American running around and solving all these problems in a World War was a trope that should have been left out of this film wholesale.

Though saying all that, I'm not surprised beastmaster liked this film at all.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 16:08:31 24-06-2013

Get bent.

• Whizzo 24 Jun 2013 16:50:25 43,038 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hadn't realised the Battle of Moscow had actually been filmed as the ending but was dropped and Lindelof was behind the new ending of the film.

How does the bloke get work?

• captbirdseye 26 Jun 2013 00:02:55 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't get why Matthew Fox is in this film? Was his character left on the cutting room floor?
  • GuiltySpark 26 Jun 2013 00:11:44 6,325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought that was him! I pointed him out and you only ever saw like the back of his head from there onwards, it was really weird.

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 01:48:02 7,002 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ... Matthew Fox was in it?
  • captbirdseye 26 Jun 2013 06:59:41 4,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah he's the Navy Seal at the start and the solider that speaks with Gerrys wife on the boat. After that he never appears in the film again which i just found odd.
  • Dolly 26 Jun 2013 07:52:08 3,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Matthew Fox had a big tie-in to the original ending apparently, so yeah, it's a cutting room floor job :/

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27555/original-world-war-z-ending-in-detail
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 08:04:46 7,002 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Maybe they're saving that stuff for the sequel? There wasn't a whole lot of "war" in this one - just mass panic and running away. The next one could be the humans fighting back, which imo is the more interesting part of the source material.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last