Left 4 Dead demo

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 15:48:57 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone in on this? I think the demo is available generally on Tuesday, but I managed to score a code to download it early and am at 33% complete if anyone wants to play in the next hour or so (it's around 1.2 GB).

• Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 16:12:02 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :(

I'm going to be playing with randoms, it seems.
  • GeeMacca 6 Nov 2008 16:12:47 2,796 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How did you get in? Get me in and I'll play with you all day!
  • convercide 6 Nov 2008 16:14:02 6,047 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get me in and I'll play on Left 4 Dead with you all day! GeeMacca just wants your willy.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• GeeMacca 6 Nov 2008 16:14:29 2,796 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll play Left 4 Dead with you AND play with your willy?
  • pjmaybe 6 Nov 2008 16:14:32 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Nov 2008 16:16:31 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want this game in me.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2008 16:16:56
    Get me in too! I'm lovely.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2008 16:17:10
    I was talking about BG.
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 16:19:26 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gamestop were handing out codes to download it early if you preordered. Someone on GAF was giving his away if you answered a question. I answered the question.

I also faked some preorders on the Gamestop website, so it's possible I have two more codes coming in but if so they haven't arrived yet.

Just downloaded. Going to play now.
  • FWB 6 Nov 2008 16:28:37 44,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Two possible spare codes you say? Ya know, Yossarian, me old mate, me old mucker. I've always loved Catch 22.

xxx
  • GeeMacca 6 Nov 2008 16:29:59 2,796 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I promised him my love first! Haha! Can I has CoDez?
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 16:31:07 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HOLY SHIT
  • GeeMacca 6 Nov 2008 16:31:51 2,796 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it awesome?
  • Super_Zee 6 Nov 2008 16:39:06 2,110 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the game online play only? Any offline AI buddies?
  • Deleted user 6 November 2008 16:44:04
    can i haz a codes pretty plz?
  • WillyWanka 6 Nov 2008 16:46:04 802 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would love to play it, but I've got a 1gig traffic limit on my internetz, well I can go over but I get a 5 squid fine. Damn uni
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Nov 2008 16:50:04 12,745 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    God damn it, saw the title and instantly turned on my Xbox and checked the marketplace... :D

/cries

lol, that suckey longtime
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 17:01:13 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the most fun I have ever had on my first play of a multiplayer game.
  • Retroid Moderator 6 Nov 2008 17:11:15 44,803 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a decent single player mode? Not had any interest in this at all seeing as everything I've read has been about online.

Hell, local co-op might be enough to sell the idea to Mrs Retroid :)
  • evilashchris 6 Nov 2008 17:14:18 7,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You need me in Yoss.

Deep in.

/Is still not sure I'm buying it..

Twitter: @COToole

• Hunam 6 Nov 2008 17:14:55 20,674 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah didn't notice this was a 360 thread.

Nevermind.

Yep, PC demo is up for people who have pre-ordered.
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 17:36:57 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wowowowowow.

Best co-op game ever.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2008 17:37:54
    Details are better than rubbing it in. :p
  • Animal 6 Nov 2008 17:41:24 426 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    There's a PC demo up!?

/loads Steam

Only if you've pre-ordered/pre-purchased.

The demo for the masses is out next week I think.
  • Yossarian 6 Nov 2008 18:05:27 8,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Details are better than rubbing it in. :p
    I was a little worried from videos that it was too fast-paced/arcadey. I am no longer worried. The pace is hectic and downright frightening at times (and having played four games of it now, I can tell you that the AI Director works, and sometimes seems downright devious, such as putting a witch by the health packs we all needed right at the end). The 'boss' Infected in particular can be terrifying when they catch you off guard, and the Tank and Witch take a beating before they go down.

The weapons aren't that varied, but they all feel good, especially the hunting rifle and the basic shotgun. The pipe bomb is the most fun to use, though. It beeps and flashes red and attracts a swarm of Infected to it before exploding. Controls on 360 are pretty great. Four different layouts (I picked the one that put Crouch on left stick), and an option for Southpaw if you need it. Movement (yours, and enemy) is quick, much more in the vein of CounterStrike than Halo 3 or CoD4, which 360 players are more likely to be familiar with. The 360 version includes a 180 degree turn button, which I didn't use often but was thankful for at times. The game feels great on the whole, and looks pretty good too. More importantly, it runs very smoothly, even when there are thirty or forty Infected on screen. Not that I counted. I didn't have time.

Vitally, the game absolutely encourages you to be cooperative. Stragglers are often caught by Smokers or Hunters, and you are very vulnerable by yourself, as a teammate is needed to rescue you from those attacks, when you are downed, and to guard you when you are blinded by a Boomer (which is very disorienting, and terrifying because it attracts Infected to your position). All of my games were with complete strangers, and in all of them we ended up laughing together... usually in relief after a particularly fraught moment, or when someone got caught unawares. Everyone I played with was grateful for healing or advice. The one time we had a teammate without a mic who didn't listen it was a much more frustrating experience. But playing with friends shouldn't be an issue. There's also a pretty smart 'Vocalize' command that shouts at whoever you're aiming (or shouts out a boss Infected) but it's not as useful as just talking into the headset.

I played all my games on Advanced, which is between Normal and the top level, which I think is 'Expert', and it was a very satisfying challenge: out of the four games, we had to restart from a checkpoint twice, and in all four we finished with at least half the team seriously injured. I can't imagine what Expert is like. Incidentally, the animation and speech for injured teammates are very impressive and immersive. In fact, the sound design throughout is great, and you can often tell what's ahead by listening carefully.

I am not sure if the game will get tedious in the long term: there are only two levels from one campaign on offer here, and they were different enough in placement of zombies and weapons to not feel like I was playing through the same areas again, although there are definitive chokepoints you become familiar with (especially the awesome final fight where you will probably be pretty wounded). I really, really want to play and see more, and particularly to play Versus mode, which is not included in the demo. But from what I can tell, there are many, many hours of multiplayer fun here; I'm
    not sure what it would be like to play by yourself. 360 version also includes split-screen, and you can change in the menus which way the screen is divided (interestingly, you can also set colour settings for either TV or computer screen, which was useful for me playing on my 20" widescreen monitor, and I'd like to see it included in more games).

The only remotely frustrating element is your own vulnerability from Hunter/Smoker attacks, and when surrounded (you will spend a lot of time hammering the left trigger to shover zombies away from you or others), but that's by design. Being unable to help a teammate who's being roped to their death by a Smoker because you can't get through a pack of regular Infected has a nice quality of despair to it.

Based on what I have played, it's an EG 10.
  • Universal_Hamster 6 Nov 2008 18:05:28 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never mind, your little preview puts my mind at rest... Sounds like exactly what I was hoping for Yoss, Woo!
  • CitizenGeek 6 Nov 2008 18:07:12 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but I really can't find an answer anywhere: Is Left 4 Dead entirely an online, co-op game? There aren't offline, single player, story bits, no?
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous