I've seen it all now o_0 - Dizzee Rascal on Newsnight Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Metalfish 5 Nov 2008 23:07:19 8,688 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lavalant, that post comes off as a bit BNP, even if it's not where you're coming from. This is not the beginning of some kind of "blackalanche" or something.

EDIT: Actually, replace that with "Blacklash". Yeah, that'd be really clever.

/Feels like a Guardian journalist
  • Razz 5 Nov 2008 23:07:22 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Yup

Nope, I'm pretty sure that many of the 'white' winners are mixed race too.

It just doesn't count for some reason because one of the two races isn't visibly 'black'.
    I was thinking about editing my post to clarify what mix I specifically meant. I assumed everyone would conclude to what mix I was referring. Black/white. I assumed wrong. Apologies, I will edit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• CaptainBinky 5 Nov 2008 23:46:39 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, I don't really understand the problem with having that hip-hop guy interviewed. His opinion is as valid as anybody elses and although fairly inarticulately expressed, his point about it not being about Obama being black or white but what he stands for was well made I felt.
  • Razz 5 Nov 2008 23:53:21 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed. But I'd have to see the interview myself before passing judgement. Makes you think though, had it been a non black entertainer of equal or increased notoriety, say Amy winehouse, would there be a thread on EG? Unfortunately, I seriously think not.

• CaptainBinky 5 Nov 2008 23:58:13 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does he not represent a certain sector of youth-culture too, though?
  • Razz 6 Nov 2008 00:00:01 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Young people into commerical Grime and Garage music?

• heyyo 6 Nov 2008 00:00:02 14,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CaptainBinky wrote:
    Does he not represent a certain sector of youth-culture too, though?

Nope, he likes to think so though. Besides he's sold out and his music has gone 'mainstream' so we don't like him anymore.
  • CaptainBinky 6 Nov 2008 00:01:32 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, I see.

/is out of touch.

Still, it amused Paxman.
  • Razz 6 Nov 2008 00:02:31 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Roepy wrote:
    CaptainBinky wrote:
    Sorry, I don't really understand the problem with having that hip-hop guy interviewed. His opinion is as valid as anybody elses and although fairly inarticulately expressed, his point about it not being about Obama being black or white but what he stands for was well made I felt.
    Isn't that point completely undermined by the fact that Dizzee Rascal was selected by the BBC to discuss the issue pretty much just because he's also black? I know they were discussing race, but it wasn't in relation to music. This, as well as the fact Mr Rascal can sometimes come across as a bit caricature, makes the interview a bit dodgy.
    I hear what you are saying, however the context is somewhat correct. I mean what if Hilary Clinton was president elect and the BBC asked Kate Nash to talk "pretty much just because" she's a woman. Would you feel as strongly?

• FWB 6 Nov 2008 00:03:02 41,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any show that asks Amy Winehouse about her opinion on anything more than winegums has lost the plot. Kate Nash too.

The airtime in these shows isn't infinite. You'd think they'd find someone who could offer some insight. If they want inarticulate "yoof", do it on a "yoof" show. Nothing against that whatsoever. Let's face it, their idols are not going to be watching Newsnight and for the regular viewers their presence on there is only going to reinforce negative stereotypes of teenage culture , particularly if they aren't very articulate. I haven't seen the interview in question, so I am jumping the gun. Just going by what I was told.

I watched the Prescott series and while after the first show I had warmed to him slightly, the second seemed to highlight his blind stubbornness, inability to communicate and his love of food. The second was extremely damaging in my eyes. Was surprised by Jodie Marsh, mind.
  • silentbob 6 Nov 2008 00:04:02 28,917 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIII!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Razz 6 Nov 2008 00:11:39 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Roepy wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Roepy wrote:
    CaptainBinky wrote:
    Isn't that point completely undermined by the fact that Dizzee Rascal was selected by the BBC to discuss the issue pretty much just because he's also black? I know they were discussing race, but it wasn't in relation to music. This, as well as the fact Mr Rascal can sometimes come across as a bit caricature, makes the interview a bit dodgy.
    I hear what you are saying, however the context is somewhat correct. I mean what if Hilary Clinton was president elect and the BBC asked Kate Nash to talk "pretty much just because" she's a woman. Would you feel as strongly?
    Seriously, yes.
    Excellent. However I still believe that other than Dizze Rascal being the wrong choice the sentiment is correct. If anything, it's shown that the BBC is out of touch with black youth culture, quelle surprise! Conversely, I would have liked to have seen Trevor Phillips being interviewed. Not only because he's black but becasue of the insight he'd provide being head of the Commission for Equalities and Human Rights.

• SuperCoolEskimo 6 Nov 2008 01:20:10 9,526 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's quite valid Newsnight having Dizzee Rascal on the show, considering Obama probably got a hell of a lot of votes from 'rap culture' youths like him. Over the past six months, almost every black rapper has vocally supported Obama's run, and there's been several songs focusing on him, with many including Obama soundbites in them.

The bottom line is that sector of society has just played a very important role in influencing the direction the world will take over the next four years, so we might as well find out what their justification is.
  • convercide 6 Nov 2008 02:38:16 5,747 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    OOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Fix up look sharp!

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• kalel 6 Nov 2008 13:01:18 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Video here

It's quite cringe. I love the bit where Paxman asks him if he believes in the political parties in Britain, and he replies "yeah, they definitely exist" with no hint of a joke.
  • pjmaybe 6 Nov 2008 13:06:39 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)

That's just priceless!
  • uglygamer 6 Nov 2008 13:08:25 11,765 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Video here

It's quite cringe. I love the bit where Paxman asks him if he believes in the political parties in Britain, and he replies "yeah, they definitely exist" with no hint of a joke.

That is just awesome.

Bookmarked
  • FWB 6 Nov 2008 13:09:35 41,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha. That's awesome. He believes political parties exist. :) So surreal.

I take back what I said. Definitely a place for that on Newsnight. Always need a chuckle.
  • Lukus 6 Nov 2008 13:17:02 18,955 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's a fucking retard. There, I said it.

Paintings & Photographs

• kalel 6 Nov 2008 13:19:21 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feel bad for him, he was totally out of his depth, clearly unprepared and very nervous. He isn't an idiot, you can tell from listening to some of his lyrics, but this was not his finest moment. Bound to become a 'TV hell' classic clip as well so he'll never hear the end of it.
  • pjmaybe 6 Nov 2008 13:22:46 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    He isn't an idiot, you can tell from listening to some of his lyrics, but this was not his finest moment.

I've only ever heard one song by him but can I raise a tentative o_O at this?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 Nov 2008 13:27:55 6,999 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh come on people.

Obviously he was joking at a lot of what was said - the believing in political parties line for instance - and he did make good points about connecting with the youth.

Just because a person doesn't speak all posh like and makes hip hop doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion.

THis is the problem with the UK, people think politics means "Upper middle class men sitting around discussing the world".
  • Chopsen 6 Nov 2008 13:29:50 15,105 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Just because a person doesn't speak all posh like and makes hip hop doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion.

Of course he does, but maybe newsnight is not the best forum for him to do so?
  • kalel 6 Nov 2008 13:31:09 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh come on people.

Obviously he was joking at a lot of what was said - the believing in political parties line for instance - and he did make good points about connecting with the youth.

THis is the problem with the UK, people think politics means "Upper middle class men sitting around discussing the world".

I think you're giving him too much credit, and I'm not just being a cunt. I was more than ready to defend and stick up for him, but he has a mare to be perfectly frank.
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Nov 2008 13:31:16 24,899 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Of course he does, but maybe newsnight is not the best forum for him to do so?

I think the opposite, to be honest. There's no point in him going on a programme watched by people who already follow his every word. I imagine he was trying to bring his view points and opinions to people who don't normally hear from his part of the community.

I haven't watched it like.
  • neilch 6 Nov 2008 13:33:47 741 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I would have liked to have seen Trevor Phillips being interviewed. Not only because he's black but becasue of the insight he'd provide being head of the Commission for Equalities and Human Rights.

+1,000,000 on this
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 Nov 2008 13:39:22 6,999 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    P Diddy came out vocally to support Obama and this is obviously why Dizzee was on the show.

He made valid points about how Obama's appeal is down to his mixed race, celebrated the fact that Obama courted the young vote by using hip-hop icons like P Diddy (and that's pretty massive considering how politicians have pilloried rap and hip hop in the past), how UK politicians will say whatever they think the public wants them to say and that people power is the most effective form of politics.

To me that may not be earth-shatteringly revelatory, but it does indicate someone who has their head screwed on right and is far from being a moron.
  • Razz 6 Nov 2008 13:39:50 59,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I love the bit where Paxman asks him if he believes in the political parties in Britain, and he replies "yeah, they definitely exist" with no hint of a joke.
    gLMFAO :'D

Priceless.

• tincanrocket 6 Nov 2008 13:50:35 2,830 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P Diddy? Obama courted P Diddy? o 0

/facepalm
  • Ginger 6 Nov 2008 13:50:42 6,808 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Agreed. But I'd have to see the interview myself before passing judgement. Makes you think though, had it been a non black entertainer of equal or increased notoriety, say Amy winehouse, would there be a thread on EG? Unfortunately, I seriously think not.
    You are fucking kidding right? If Amy Winehouse was on Newsnight this thread would be 20 pages long by now with people alternately cursing her for still breathing, saying "Would" and praising her for making a comeback

London open taekwondo champion

• Page

of 4 First / Last