fixing broken controller?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pekaboo 1 Nov 2008 04:41:22 2 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just bought a ps2 second hand and the dual shock controller is not working properly with the problem being that some of the buttons don't respond but other buttons do work. Have tried other controllers on the same port and they work fine so it is definitley a problem with the controller.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it?
  • Flying_Pig 1 Nov 2008 09:59:35 10,858 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would it not be easier to buy a new one??

They must be pretty cheap now
  • BartonFink 1 Nov 2008 10:04:03 34,851 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Throw it at a wall?
  • BartonFink 1 Nov 2008 10:05:38 34,851 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Would it not be easier to buy a new one??

They must be pretty cheap now
    Official ones probably not but 3rd party ones should be fairly cheap. Who the hell buys a second hand controller?
  • pekaboo 1 Nov 2008 10:15:24 2 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd rather just fix it than fork out money for another one. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
  • Cappy 1 Nov 2008 12:55:10 11,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not really sure what to suggest trying since we have no idea what caused the problem. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver and a clear flat area such as a table because the Dualshock contains a lot of small parts you don't want bouncing off onto the floor.

When opening up the controller keep the controller upside down, buttons and sticks facing the table when you get it open, you ideally want the buttons and other odds and ends to stay in place in the top half of the controller. Carefully turn the lower half of the controller over, you'll probably see some parts that went between the buttons and the PCB still stuck on, carefully remove them whilst noting their placement for when the controller is put back together.

Now check the area on the PCB which would have been directly below the face buttons it's possible somebody might have spilled a drink and a residue needs to be cleaned off, if you find that, clean it off very carefully. If you find no sign of anything interfering with the registering of button presses on the PCB you've got real problems because it's probably the cable and that would be extremely hard to repair. Check the plug connector to ensure it's dust and fluff free.

When putting a Dualshock back together never use force, if the shell isn't fitting back together you've probably not put things back right or you're not aligning the parts as you place the two halves together. Give particular care to the red diode on the PCB which has to line up with a very small recess under the analogue button.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • pacrifice 23 Feb 2014 14:15:36 1,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is quite a read but if you can help, maybe I'll post you some jaffa cakes or something.

My Dualshock 3 pad messed up so after viewing a few videos on youtube, I was able to disassemble, clean, reassemble, it's all good :-).

It inspired me to clean my Dualshock 2 pad. Although it was functioning, some of the buttons required a harder press than the others. Anyway, so I've fucked up now and need some advice on repairing it as I really don't wanna pay for a new official one and third party ones are always shitty.

I've managed to piece everything together except that white bit in the top right area, I'm missing that piece!

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/ps2_diagram1.jpg
    ^^^ That's just a random image from google, that white bit is how it should look like (but someone's modding that controller to do some next shit).

Mine, top area -

http://bit.ly/1gtH2Iu
    ^^^ The gold bit, you've got a white prong on either side of the gold bit and above that, is the circuit board tape thing (don't know the official term for any of these things).

I'm able to insert the tape thing into the prongs, they can be slotted in and that's pretty much lined up. I figured as I've no white thing, just sellotaping it down could work but no dice.

The reason I've no white bit is that it got hoovered up lol. It took me ages to put the Dualshock 2 back together, once completed, I didn't test straight away so just put it aside and got round to doing some cleaning, grocery shopping. It's after doing chores, I test and find I've butchered my pad of 10 years :cry:

Men and/or women, is there something you could recommend?

Edited by pacrifice at 14:18:20 23-02-2014
  • Dirtbox 23 Feb 2014 14:52:07 77,650 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get a screwdriver, unscrew the screws, carefully unscrew the board inside and clean the contacts on it and the rubber membranes or whatever with a dry cloth, then before screwing it back together, create another thread to ask what the best way to hang yourself with the fucking cord would be.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• pacrifice 25 Feb 2014 22:15:17 1,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So it seems I can't be helped but, don't suppose anyone has a spare official ps2 pad? Or even one that's messed up on them? (I'll try using it for parts).

Really fuckin' love my ps2, has so many games, fuck :cry:
  • Cappy 25 Feb 2014 22:30:16 11,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Problem 1: Sony made changes to the internal design of the Dualshock 2 throughout the life of the console, when it comes to some parts such as the shoulder buttons and the parts that hold them there are a few versions. The innards from one pad, may not fit in another.

Problem 2: It would cost more to post you the part from my Dualshock murdered by Blood Will Tell than it would for you to find a Dualshock at a boot sale or charity shop and the part may not even fit.
  • pacrifice 25 Feb 2014 22:34:03 1,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit.

Thanx anyway.

Edited by pacrifice at 22:34:24 25-02-2014
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next