Is anyone here responsible for hiring people? Are we as doomed as I think?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ruttyboy 30 Oct 2008 16:22:29 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Given the standard of literacy displayed by the majority of the 'yoof' on the internet I'm wondering if they bring that over to job application forms and the like, or do they understand the difference and it's all a big act?
  • Dirtbox 30 Oct 2008 16:26:02 76,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still get CVs and stuff sent to me occassionally and they're a delight to read.

"I have proficient use of a Maquintosh" is one line that leaps to mind.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Retroid Moderator 30 Oct 2008 16:26:58 44,501 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Please tell me none of them had "lol" anywhere on them.
  • figgis 30 Oct 2008 16:27:50 7,382 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I employed someone last year for a reasonably technical job (graduate). The standard of writing was well shit.
  • w00t 30 Oct 2008 16:28:04 10,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing I have noticed is that people who can spell and/or use grammar correctly are decreasing, judging by the CVs I see. We now give a written English test to all prospective candidates - it is now that bad.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• JuanKerr 30 Oct 2008 16:28:40 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to have great fun reading through CVs and covering letters at my previous company - we were hiring a new writer for a magazine and you wouldn't believe how sloppy people were considering the job they were applying for.

Me and my editor read one covering letter which had a mistake in the very first line. It went straight in the bin along with his CV.
  • Dirtbox 30 Oct 2008 16:28:53 76,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    One thing I have noticed is that people who can spell and/or use grammar correctly are decreasing, judging by the CVs I see. We now give a written English test to all prospective candidates - it is now that bad.
    Wow, seriously?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Metalfish 30 Oct 2008 16:30:14 8,690 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazing, I feel bad when I spot a typo in a forum post of mine. Not that I can spell, mind.
  • Stickman 30 Oct 2008 16:31:49 29,408 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read CV's and interview, and the level of grammar is pretty poor, but to be honest that's not limited to the yoof.

At interview however, generally older people perform better. It doesn't seem to occur to younger people that even the slightest amount of preparation might come in handy.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• MetalDog 30 Oct 2008 16:32:09 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't spell very well - but if I'm applying for a job, I at least spellcheck.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Stickman 30 Oct 2008 16:32:51 29,408 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I can't spell very well - but if I'm applying for a job, I at least spellcheck.

I give this as feedback quite a lot.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Retroid Moderator 30 Oct 2008 16:32:52 44,501 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Amazing, I feel bad when I spot a typo in a forum post of mine.
    Yup, I'm the same. I feel slightly mortified if I make a typo, let alone spell something incorrectly or mangle my grammar.
  • pjmaybe 30 Oct 2008 16:33:39 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is a worrying trend. Most kids we get here on work experience (as a University we've got an agreement with local schools that we'll take in candidates for W.E from time to time) really have fully gone over to the dark side and cannot shake their txt-spk lingual and written stuff. In fact on the writing side of things, it's worse still. Most of them really can't write with a pen and when they can you would have to be either a GP or a venusian to be able to decipher their scrawl.

Some buck the trend though. But it's all part of the way kids seem to think that pouring their efforts into concentrating on core important lessons such as drama and drug familiarisation workshops rather than anything as mundane and boring as english.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Oct 2008 16:35:11 38,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do people not use spellcheck? I think that's enough ground for not getting a job in the first place.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Razz 30 Oct 2008 16:35:21 59,994 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    At interview however, generally older people perform better. It doesn't seem to occur to younger people that even the slightest amount of preparation might come in handy.
    It's not always their fault though. Well if they've come through an agency that is. I've interviewed people that've told me the Agency informed them it was just an informal chat. :/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Load_2.0 30 Oct 2008 16:36:13 18,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just draw a massive crayon wang on the front of application forms.

It basically communicates the message that I am so confident in my abilities that I don't even need to apply properly.
  • ruttyboy 30 Oct 2008 16:36:26 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The reason I ask is that I'm amazed at some of the emails (nobody sends letters anymore) I get from people who are representing their company that are just riddled with glaring errors. Why would I buy something from you if I couldn't be confident that you could read my order correctly?
  • MetalDog 30 Oct 2008 16:36:44 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder if we're seeing a return to a country divided by language ability, like in Chaucer's days? Be a bit ironic if common english became the 'poncy' language.

• pjmaybe 30 Oct 2008 16:37:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's creeping into everything. There's even a typo on one of the Xbox Live Marketplace downloads at the moment (see if you lot can spot which one :)
  • w00t 30 Oct 2008 16:37:37 10,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    w00t wrote:
    Wow, seriously?
    Yep. Quite a few fail :(

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Razz 30 Oct 2008 16:37:54 59,994 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    I just draw a massive crayon wang on the front of application forms.

It basically communicates the message that I am so confident in my abilities that I don't even need to apply properly.
    First thing that came in my head before I googled "Wang" Poor mistake. Stupid american euphemisms. (SFW)

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Metalfish 30 Oct 2008 16:39:40 8,690 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can I be dreadfully old fashioned and suggest that perhaps is is because no very many people seem to read good writing for fun any more?
  • mrblackett 30 Oct 2008 16:42:38 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to work in a big call centre. Luckily I wasn't on the phones so I didn't have to speak to the customer service guys but I did have to deal with their complaints about the systems. I sent 20-30% back to the author's supervisor with a note along the lines of "I don't even know what this person is asking. Can you ask them what the fuck they're saying"

I blame video games, rap music and the Saw films.
  • Fatiguez 30 Oct 2008 16:42:55 8,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd be completely illiterate if I didn't read so much shit on EG.
  • MetalDog 30 Oct 2008 16:43:28 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, give it a generation and Potter may have helped - but people keep bitching about Potter.

• ruttyboy 30 Oct 2008 16:43:32 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Can I be dreadfully old fashioned and suggest that perhaps is is because no very many people seem to read good writing for fun any more?

Is that old fashioned? Makes sense to me.
  • Goban 30 Oct 2008 16:44:43 8,996 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My grammar is actually pretty poor. I partially blame this on the fact that my school thought it was a good idea to de-emphasise the importance of formal grammar as an experiment to try and make English more accessible. Dumb fucks!

• lost_soul 30 Oct 2008 16:44:46 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Me and my editor read one covering letter which had a mistake in the very first line.
    Heh :-)
  • Triggerhappytel 30 Oct 2008 16:45:38 2,664 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Amazing, I feel bad when I spot a typo in a forum post of mine. Not that I can spell, mind.

Yeah, me too. I'm a real grammar whore and always pick up on mistakes - much to my distaste when its in one of my own posts.
  • markh 30 Oct 2008 16:47:19 3,598 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    How many CVs have 'thru', 'tonite' 'nite', etc?

Would this be in the context of:

"IF u giv me the job i wil shag u thru the nite tonite"
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous