Spotify Page 28

• Page

of 28 First / Last

Next
  • jonsaan 24 Jul 2013 10:11:34 25,450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RichieTenenbaum My band IS on a label though.
    Revolver. We have worked with them for over a decade,
    They put our music on spotify and they release our albums.
    They are only motivated by music as I'm willing to bet the amount of money we've made for them can be counted on one hand. This particular album is from 2003 and the pending one is from last year.

FCUTA!

• nickthegun 24 Jul 2013 10:15:17 61,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spotify is one of the very few things that is great for consumers and sucks for content providers. Its not going to last long, so enjoy it while you can.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Tom_Servo 24 Jul 2013 11:12:55 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Spotify is one of the very few things that is great for consumers and sucks for content providers. Its not going to last long, so enjoy it while you can.
    This is it. They're on the right path with it though. Once there's a Spotify (or Spotify-like thing) that fairly recompenses the artists I'll be interested.

The thing is, people do use Spotify as a substitute for buying records, so any argument that the ridiculously low rate artists receive is okay because it's 'only' a streaming service don't really hold water.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Jul 2013 11:24:44 11,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    The thing is, people do use Spotify as a substitute for buying records, so any argument that the ridiculously low rate artists receive is okay because it's 'only' a streaming service don't really hold water.
    Indeed, for me my 12 CHF a month allows me to try new music out all the time which I'm fine with but sadly that's not typical use, typical use involves artists getting fuck all and young consumers losing the idea that music is worth money :-(

P.S Thom Yorke can go fuck himself, he's part of the problem, the cock.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• jonsaan 24 Jul 2013 11:48:48 25,450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking as an artist on Spotify. I am just happy for people to be able to listen to my music. I can get money from other outlets. Which I never do anyway so it's all good!
    Spotify does pay artists if you get some serious plays anyway. If you really want to support the artist you can buy it and own it at the end of the day.

FCUTA!

• Armoured_Bear 24 Jul 2013 11:53:29 11,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Speaking as an artist on Spotify. I am just happy for people to be able to listen to my music. I can get money from other outlets. Which I never do anyway so it's all good!
    Spotify does pay artists if you get some serious plays anyway. If you really want to support the artist you can buy it and own it at the end of the day.
    Yes but more often that not people don't, kids now expect music to be free which makes me a sad panda :-(

• jonsaan 24 Jul 2013 11:58:10 25,450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed. So as a result nobody hears our music. Spotify helps me get it to ears. That works for me.

FCUTA!

• chopsen 24 Jul 2013 12:28:20 16,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Go on...
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 12:38:43 17,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I'm massively suspicious of spotify.
    The labels get a whole lot of stick, but they fundamentally cared about the music they produced. Otherwise they would never have spent so much on bands starting out. They gave aspiring bands a leg up. Some money to tour with, some money to record and experiment.
    It's one of the major ways in which band's signed to labels fail to understand what they are getting into, they get an advance and support from the label but that money is a loan against sales and now also live performance. They don't give any one money that they don't expect back. It's a cancerous, horrible industry and the art that came out of it was just an accidental by-product of abuse and greed.

There are some major labels that did it for the love of the music but those are so fucking rare I could count them on both hands and the only one that springs to mind that still exists is Island and even they're basically bullshit now.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:38:51 24-07-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Armoured_Bear 24 Jul 2013 12:59:50 11,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Go on...
    here

• chopsen 24 Jul 2013 13:12:43 16,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, hadn't seen Stephen Street's response before. Obvious, but needed saying. Would not surprise me at all if his dislike of Spotify stems from the feeling he's not getting his "fair" share, and nothing to do with genuinely smaller, newer acts whatsoever.

I've long thought York to be a tosser. Didn't think you would, for some reason.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Jul 2013 13:41:02 2,228 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is an interesting take on the thing

http://m.pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/
  • MrSensible 24 Jul 2013 13:51:33 25,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spotify has, more than anything, stopped me pirating music, I'll admit that. The occasional album by a big band, that I WOULD buy (such as the new Gogol Bordello album)... well, I'll just listen to that on Spotify too. Already got it saved for offline play on my phone.

So, it's a bit of a weird one. It's making me listen to a lot more, legally, than I would ever pay for... but then, the stuff I would normally buy the CD for I now just Spotify it as well.

Of course if I see a good local band I'll pick up their disc after the gig.
  • chopsen 24 Jul 2013 14:33:03 16,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    This is an interesting take on the thing

http://m.pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/
    They are aggressive in negotiating terms. It's still an evolving market and an evolving business model. However:

As for Spotify, since it is not considered radio, either of this world or any other, they have a different additional royalty to pay. Like any non-broadcast use of recordings, they require a license from the rights-holder They negotiate this individually with each record label, at terms not made public. I'm happy to make ours public, however: It is the going "indie" rate of $0.005 per play. (Actually, when I do the math, that rate seems to truly pay out at $0.004611-- I hope someone got a bonus for saving the company four-hundredths of a cent on each stream!) We didn't negotiate this, exactly; for a band-owned label like ours, it's take it or leave it. We took it, which means for 5,960 plays of "Tugboat", Spotify theoretically owes our record label $29.80.
    A no-name band with on their own no-name label. Of course they're not going to be raking it in on spotify, or any model. You think if spotify wasn't there they'd be laughing it up in their own private jets from multiple-platinum selling albums? That is precisely $29.80 they got that they would not have got otherwise. And the potential of exposure to new audiences they would otherwise not have reached. Higher profile acts would have been able to negotiate higher contracts, just as in any other system.

The other streams open to them are
    1. they could have gone is sign to a major, get minimal support and saddled with debt. Dropped after a an album or two, or even worse prevented from touring/recording because the label wasn't interested in pushing them at that particular time. If they got lucky and they got pushed, they may make it big. But only for a bit and that would probably just about cover their recording/promotion costs.

2. sign to a indie label. Lots of feel good kudos. May make it big, but minimal marketing clout so likely not. Operating on thin margins. Fine if you're doing it for the love, but then what's the harm of spotify if you're just in it for the music?

3. Touring. Potentially lucrative, unless signed to major label.
  • MrDigital 24 Jul 2013 14:36:02 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan As someone who is on Spotify, how true is this statement? "...pays artists as little as 0.4p per stream - a song with one million plays would earn its performer just 3800."

I realise Spotify may pay little relatively speaking, but is this realistic or is it a worst-case, unlikely-to-happen pay rate?

thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Spotify has, more than anything, stopped me pirating music, I'll admit that. The occasional album by a big band, that I WOULD buy (such as the new Gogol Bordello album)... well, I'll just listen to that on Spotify too. Already got it saved for offline play on my phone.

So, it's a bit of a weird one. It's making me listen to a lot more, legally, than I would ever pay for... but then, the stuff I would normally buy the CD for I now just Spotify it as well.

Of course if I see a good local band I'll pick up their disc after the gig.
    Yeah, it's made a lot of pirates use this legitimate service, which is great, but it seems to have made many music buyers switch to Spotify which presumably gives a net loss overall.

Edited by MrDigital at 14:36:19 24-07-2013

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• RichieTenenbaum 24 Jul 2013 14:48:58 2,228 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chopsen to be fair, Galaxie 500 aren't exactly no name. And 2 is what the did. And at the end exactly what he says.

He's merely saying the 'new model' isn't all sunshine and happiness. Maybe there is something to be said for pressing a record and selling it for more than it costs. As he said, he made more off his first 1000 7 inches than he has off spotify.

Also: touring is not lucrative for new artists. At all.

There seems to be this feeling that things are better now we have ditched the labels and it's all streaming and mp3. But MAYBE we've lost something.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 14:56:11 17,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    There seems to be this feeling that things are better now we have ditched the labels and it's all streaming and mp3. But MAYBE we've lost something.
    I think it's fair to say that labels still exist, labels are still going strong as a progenitor of specific genres and there are tons of independent ones out there that support bands and help with development. I'd still see Stone's Throw, Warp or Ninja Tune and think it would be worth a punt as they are a marker of quality.

You are a factory of sadness.

• chopsen 24 Jul 2013 15:02:38 16,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're not exactly a big name. Or even a name. Having a couple of albums 20 years ago is hardly big time.

"pressing a record and selling it for more than it costs" is also a bullshit argument. If you're in a position to do that (which apparently they were when they started out), then you should be able to negotiate a better contract. However, nobody gives a stuff about them these days (bar some obscure cultural fringes locked in a perpetual circle jerk about how music is just not the same any more). So no, they can't make more money.

Why can't they just print 1000 7" today and sell that for more than it cost? Because nobody gives a shit about them, that's why.

A big name act will make money, regardless of the existing structure of the industry or who controls the market. Who makes it to a big name act is largely dependent on who has the clout to engineer and market a success. Record labels, radio stations, famous commentators, streaming services, blogs, youtube, and more than any of the other blind luck.

We haven't lost anything. Some people won on the old ways, some people win on the new. Things have just got a bit a more interesting and easy if you want to listen to larger diverse range of music. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Chopsen at 15:04:36 24-07-2013
  • jonsaan 25 Jul 2013 19:17:53 25,450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrDigital I have no idea! It only went up yesterday. In all honesty, I don't care. I just want to be on there so people can listen to us. There are plenty of outlets to flog music on. If I got million plays, I might feel a bit different! Then again, perhaps not as without a service like spotify nobody would listen at all, bar a few hundred fans Stateside.

Edited by jonsaan at 19:53:07 25-07-2013

Edited by jonsaan at 19:53:49 25-07-2013

FCUTA!

• MrDigital 25 Jul 2013 20:13:28 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    @MrDigital I have no idea! It only went up yesterday. In all honesty, I don't care. I just want to be on there so people can listen to us. There are plenty of outlets to flog music on. If I got million plays, I might feel a bit different! Then again, perhaps not as without a service like spotify nobody would listen at all, bar a few hundred fans Stateside.]

Hah, that sounds reasonable enough. I'll listen to any albums you have on Spotify tonight, maybe I can earn you a penny-chew or the like :)

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 25 July 2013 21:45:45
    You don't half speak a load of shite Richie. Fucking hell.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last

Next