Spotify Page 27

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 February 2012 12:52:16
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/11/spotify-ios-app-update-brings-320kbps-music-to-mobiles/

Awesome news.
  • THFourteen 11 Feb 2012 13:13:50 32,855 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm will I actually notice the difference on earphones?
  • urban 27 Nov 2012 23:39:49 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A deserted thread deserves a 2012 playlist

My 2012 so far
  • crispyduckman 26 Apr 2013 19:33:43 1,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyone used Rdio as well as Spotify? Experiences? Preferences?

I've been on Spotify for a couple of years but I'm thinking of switching. I'm an album oriented listener and think I prefer way Rdio lets you organise your library by artist and album, rather than Spotify's complete reliance on playlists. Admittedly, Spotify seems to have more music though.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Kovacs77 29 Apr 2013 20:58:58 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anyone use Deezer, through an Orange or EE subscription?

I just found out that loads of "missing" albums from the Deezer catalogue (everything on 4AD for example) are actually available to UK users if they pay the full 9.99 Premium+ subscription. Thing is, I actually pay the extra 5 to upgrade my Orange account to Premium+, but this is apparently a 'different' premium+ account, and the library is still incomplete. Which is annoying, a ripoff, and seriously making me consider moving over to Spotify...
  • crispyduckman 30 Apr 2013 01:31:27 1,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I tried Deezer about a year ago but wasn't impressed with it at all. At the time Spotify seemed like the best service but I've switched to Rdio now. Apparently Rdio has fractionally less music than Spotify but I've seen things on Rdio that are missing on Spotify too. None of my more obscure stuff that I keep in Google Play Music is present on either service.

Generally though, the way things are set up on Rdio's service just works better with me. I like organising my collection by artist/album rather than just a massive stack of playlists. I also prefer its social features and last.fm is integrated at the account level, rather than at the device level as it is in Spotify.

Rdio also has a nifty feature whereby you can control any playing Rdio device with another device running Rdio. I can play music on my Android phone connected to my hifi separates but browse and control that music from my PC or iPad or vice versa.

Sorry, if that's a bit unhelpful re your Deezer issue but, as you can tell, I'm pretty happy to have made the switch to Rdio.

• Kovacs77 1 May 2013 18:01:46 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I might check out Rdio then, if I decide to switch.

I can't get Play Music's Scan and Match to work, so I gave up on it. Didn't fancy uploading thousands of tracks at 1 song per minute! Do you use it?
  • THFourteen 1 May 2013 18:30:49 32,855 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @crispyduckman don't you use spotify folders?

I have a folder for each artist and the. The albums within the folders.
  • crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:07:41 1,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen They're still just playlist folders. I presume you manually make them? There's no way I'm doing that for hundreds of artists. Even then, they wouldn't automatically be/stay sorted alphabetically. Spotify have been promising to introduce an Rdio style "collection" system for ages but I'm sick of waiting.

Don't get me wrong, Spotify is a great service. Like I said, I've been using it for about 2 years. Also, I can see that if you're all about playlists, them Spotify might be a little better than Rdio. However, after just a week with Rdio, I can tell it suits my listening style better.

• crispyduckman 1 May 2013 19:26:12 1,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kovacs77 As far as I know, the Play match system works invisibly in the background at the point you decide to upload. If it detects the file being uploaded is in their system then it'll just match it instead. You'll never know what it matched and what it actually uploaded though. I've had albums "upload" nearly instantly, which I presume were matched and other's take about 1 minute per album (work connection). As far as I know, you can't just tell it to scan and only add tracks that the system can match. I presume that's the type of think you're looking for.

• Kovacs77 4 May 2013 08:53:43 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crispyduckman Kind of, I was just surprised that when I selected a folder of music on my hard drive to upload to Play Music, hardly any of of it was Matched and it tried to actually upload everything, really slowly.

I've been fiddling with it over the last few days, and I'm getting some Matches and some Uploads, so it's working, just nowhere near as well as I assumed. It's not like I'm uploading incredibly obscure stuff and everything is tagged correctly. Frightened Rabbit's last album slowly uploaded, Biffy Clyro matched instantly.

Re: Deezer, my Orange offer expired when I changed my Plan, so it put me on a free 15 day trial of the 9.99 'non-Orange' Premium+ plan. As soon as that happened I could access all the missing tracks. So, word of warning to anyone using the Orange / EE Deezer offer and thinking of 'upgrading' to Premium+ for 4.99, all that the extra money gets you is removal of adverts on the web player and 320kbps playback. I'm switching to Spotify..
  • THFourteen 4 May 2013 09:23:19 32,855 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    @THFourteen They're still just playlist folders. I presume you manually make them? There's no way I'm doing that for hundreds of artists. Even then, they wouldn't automatically be/stay sorted alphabetically.
    Yeah, all manual. Fair enough. I do admit its a PITA.
  • jonsaan 19 Jun 2013 19:14:04 25,326 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pink Floyd are finally on Spotify!

Edited by jonsaan at 19:20:46 19-06-2013

FCUTA!

• Kovacs77 19 Jun 2013 19:18:31 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Excellent. It does beg the question, why weren't they before, if all it took to 'unlock' them was a gimmicky advertising campaign on twitter. What about Led Zep and ACDC now?
  • Kovacs77 19 Jun 2013 19:18:56 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or more importantly, In Rainbows by Radiohead.
  • Chopsen 19 Jun 2013 20:02:43 15,702 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lots of the established rock acts have been very resistant to embracing subscription/streaming based models. I think Floyd even refused to allow their songs to be bought on itunes because they thought it should be bought as a complete album, not as individual MP3.

I can kind of see why, because they've made millions using the old model, so why change? Shortsighted, though, I think.
  • Chopsen 15 Jul 2013 08:53:34 15,702 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thom York and his mate don't like spotify.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/20130714yorke

Horseshit, really. New music acts are not going to benefit if they aren't on spotify, or if spotify didn't exist. We're in a different world to when Dark Side of the Moon was made. People aren't going to spend 10-15 on an album of an act they don't know these days, and due to fragmentation and diversity in the music industry these days it'd be even harder for unestablished acts to make a name for themselves. Unless, that is, they have streaming services and the like that allow people to hear their music easily.

Also, there were plenty of acts that got left by the way-side in the old system dominated by record companies and A&R men. Sure, if the record companies decided to throw money at you, you made it big. If you didn't fit what they wanted to sell, you'd get left to die. And if you had a contract, you couldn't just go elsewhere to a more sympathetic label, either.
  • BillMurray 15 Jul 2013 09:12:33 7,604 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The amount artists get paid on Spotify is a bit gross though. Think artists get about 60cents for 10,000 plays.
  • Chopsen 15 Jul 2013 09:35:27 15,702 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a long standing criticism of spotify. However, that is compared to nothing if it wasn't there. Anecdote != evidence, but my spotify playlists are made up of in the main of stuff that I would never have bought. Stuff I really like and end up playing a lot I do end up buying. I can't be the only one that streams a lot of stuff that they would never spent the money to own.

Ultimately, there's only so much money people are going to spend on music. So they're either going to spend they money on a small number of albums, or they're going to spend the same amount on a bigger, more diverse range of music via a subscription/streaming model. And if they're going to spend less money on a smaller quantity, they're more likely to spend it on things which they feel more confident about. i.e. established acts, acts that have had a lot of marketing, acts they have bought stuff by before. They're less likely to spend it on new or unfamiliar acts.

And their argument is about *NEW* acts, not established ones.

Musicians act like over-entitled teenagers sometimes. There are literally millions of people out there who want to be professional musicians. If they feel it's not paying enough for them, go and work in a shop or something. You don't have a right to make millions out of your music.
  • dominalien 15 Jul 2013 09:40:57 6,821 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    The amount artists get paid on Spotify is a bit gross though. Think artists get about 60cents for 10,000 plays.
    That's not much if true, however, that's just for listening to their music, not for "owning" it or anything - just listening. So it naturally should be much less than for buying a song.

That said, I don't think I'll be buying any more music, ever, as long as Spotify or other services like this exist and the subscription is as attractive as it is now.

Edit: besides, it's not like Spotify is the only source of revenue for artists. Regular radio, CDs, iTunes and other services, they won't magically cease to exist now and they all generate money in accordance with the old rules. Should streaming start to dominate, so too will change its money structure.

Edited by dominalien at 09:42:39 15-07-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 09:45:00
    Spotify is the best thing to happen to music since... I'm not sure. But it is fucking awesome.

:'( No guitar shaped pool for the guest house. Boo fucking hoo.
  • jonsaan 24 Jul 2013 07:32:47 25,326 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My band's first album finally makes it onto Spotify! The new album should be up within days too!

FCUTA!

• MrDigital 24 Jul 2013 08:42:34 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good job, dude :)

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• RichieTenenbaum 24 Jul 2013 09:28:16 2,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm massively suspicious of spotify.
    The labels get a whole lot of stick, but they fundamentally cared about the music they produced. Otherwise they would never have spent so much on bands starting out. They gave aspiring bands a leg up. Some money to tour with, some money to record and experiment.

It seems really obvious to me that this going is causing a big shift about what music is viable. I see a lot more singer songwriters breaking through (cheap to tour). A lot more acts from rich backgrounds are making it. There's a lot of public schoolboy rock out there at the moment.

Spotify fundamental don't care about and don't invest in music. They just want to buy your album so they can chuck in a bin with the rest of the 'content'.

I have spotify installed on my computer and I like to listen to it. But let's not pretend it's not damaging the industry. If I had a band I wouldn't be on there.
  • Roddles 24 Jul 2013 09:32:12 1,730 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's better than pirating or listening to music from Youtube which is what people otherwise do.

Edited by Roddles at 09:32:41 24-07-2013
  • Roddles 24 Jul 2013 09:35:51 1,730 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    A lot more acts from rich backgrounds are making it. There's a lot of public schoolboy rock out there at the moment.
    Not really. There's far more council house electronic and rap music artists knocking about that there ever has been.
  • craigy Staff 24 Jul 2013 09:39:19 7,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Spotify will eventually follow the Netflix model: once they've become the go-to Internet distribution network for music, will shift to producing content (i.e. repping/funding/breaking bands) themselves.
  • Chopsen 24 Jul 2013 09:41:53 15,702 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    The labels get a whole lot of stick, but they fundamentally cared about the music they produced.
    :D
  • Roddles 24 Jul 2013 09:43:12 1,730 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah that made me chuckle too.
  • TheSaint 24 Jul 2013 09:50:25 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see they've dropped their ridiculous Facebook account requirement. When did that happen?
  • Page

of 28 First / Last