Spotify Page 2

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• gamingdave 21 Jan 2009 13:02:47 4,216 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess shops and pubs could use the payed for version, but for home users, unless the adverts become a lot more intrusive, I cant see many paying.

If it was my business, I would make the free users have adverts, and only get the music in a low bitrate, and possibly mono. Full bitrate for payed users.
  • TheStylishHobo 21 Jan 2009 16:04:18 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    presh wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    How often do the adverts appear?

Seems to be about 1 every 20 mins, so not that much of a pain...

Have been using it for a couple of weeks at work, much better than LastFM for searching for new and interesting tunes.

You can email other users the URL of specific tracks, and also share your playlists.

I really can't see what anyone would want to pay 9.99 a month for the non-ad funded version..

Can't bring them with you, and audiophiles recognise the 190kbs file quality.
  • PiD 22 Jan 2009 14:16:04 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We've been playing around with this in the office, its great.

Anybody up for starting a collab playlist?
  • mouse Moderator 22 Jan 2009 14:27:37 10,312 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought some of PiD's music was an ad. Make of that what you will.
  • Rowlsten 22 Jan 2009 16:34:49 674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't suppose anyone's got a spare invite I could have? I remember hearing about this a while back on geekbrief, hopefully could be quite successful.

Mega-thanks in advance :)
  • Rowlsten 22 Jan 2009 18:34:11 674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gareths link on the previous page still works. Brill
  • TheStylishHobo 22 Jan 2009 19:30:44 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rowlsten wrote:

You managed to get it working without an invite?
  • ecureuil 22 Jan 2009 19:54:54 76,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got in without an invite. :)
  • Rowlsten 22 Jan 2009 21:05:45 674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    Rowlsten wrote:

You managed to get it working without an invite?

Yeah, just fill in the boxes and it downloads and sets up a username.
  • gareth886 22 Jan 2009 21:16:38 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am awesome.

;)
  • faux_carnation 22 Jan 2009 21:17:49 9,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's great for listening to B-sides that you wouldn't normally bother with...

http://open.spotify.com/track/3nTA8SnSPcK8uYkG7azKKQ
  • beachedvinyl 22 Jan 2009 21:24:35 303 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    just playing with it now - amazing
  • Rowlsten 23 Jan 2009 09:36:45 674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was having a good think about this last night. Seems like the consumer is winning by listening to loads of music, the record labels are winning by getting money from subscriptions and advertising. What about the artists? Do they get a cut defined by number of plays? It seems that this will make everything come full circle again like the 'old days'.

There's an idea that sits between Spotify, Last.fm and Myspace that all three parties could gain from it.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2009 19:00:37
    I still don't get wtf it is other than something like Pandora or LastFM that lets you play music over the web. Mind you I've not bothered looking into it too deeply. Someone less lazy than me explain it?
  • gareth886 24 Jan 2009 19:02:23 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cozenezoc wrote:
    So... looks like the Web Sheriff has gotten to this like it got to Muxtape. Tonnes of big artists who were there are no more.

Who like?
  • Lexx87 24 Jan 2009 19:41:15 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I still don't get wtf it is other than something like Pandora or LastFM that lets you play music over the web. Mind you I've not bothered looking into it too deeply. Someone less lazy than me explain it?

Well it had a much wider choice for a start...you can't play all the songs on LastFM. You can on this.

Speak the truth hussy!

• gareth886 25 Jan 2009 11:45:04 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cozenezoc wrote:
    gareth886 wrote:
    cozenezoc wrote:
    So... looks like the Web Sheriff has gotten to this like it got to Muxtape. Tonnes of big artists who were there are no more.

Who like?

King Crimson

Who?

;)
  • brokenkey 25 Jan 2009 14:21:15 6,975 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can't find the original version of Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris on there either.

But can find The lion sleeps tonight, by Tight Fit.

Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit has dissapeared now. :(

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Ainudil QA Engineer, EA DICE 25 Jan 2009 14:34:59 3 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey everyone!

In all nerdness, I actually got a gaming playlist compiled: http://open.spotify.com/user/naseer/playlist/0gKT0qcdW9J4Syn3LOzwO9

Enjoy!
  • ecureuil 25 Jan 2009 14:41:27 76,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cozenezoc wrote:

I've not noticed that, but why would they be removed? Surely all the songs on there have been licensed and used with permission already, so it's not like the record companies have just realised this and are demanding the stuff to be removed.

But then again, this surely can't be profitable for bands/record companies. I can go find any album I want, and listen to it without paying a penny. I can just go search for, say, Kings of Leon, and listen to the whole of Only By The Night, an album that I don't own. I can just listen to it all, for free.

It's incredibly good, but I can't work out how this is benefiting the artist or the record company.
  • funkyd 25 Jan 2009 15:29:16 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cozenezoc wrote:
    That's awesome, thanks Ainudil.

Some other good ones:

A friend's Best 2008

Put a Donk on it! :D
  • Razz 25 Jan 2009 15:32:29 60,997 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooooh. Been meaning to sign up for this for ages! Anyone got a spare invite?! ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• funkyd 25 Jan 2009 15:34:57 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Ooooh. Been meaning to sign up for this for ages! Anyone got a spare invite?! ^_^

Pm me your email address.
  • Balboa 28 Jan 2009 11:52:44 442 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's odd is if you search on http://www.spotifyfriends.com/ for playlists that include Autechre, for instance, you can click on a tune and hear it. Maybe the searching is just boned?
  • PiD 28 Jan 2009 11:55:29 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Balboa wrote:
    What's odd is if you search on http://www.spotifyfriends.com/ for playlists that include Autechre, for instance, you can click on a tune and hear it. Maybe the searching is just boned?

This is what i've experienced too. Some artists that I can't find via the search are still in my playlists, At the Drive-In for example.

Odd.
  • Balboa 28 Jan 2009 12:03:34 442 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Digging a little deeper, it's probably deliberate: http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/why_do_songs_disapear

It's probably just easier to remove them from the search than delete them completely.
  • ecureuil 29 Jan 2009 18:59:40 76,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Going down the tubes already

Oh well, it was good for the week or so it lasted. "we are going to be removing a number of songs from our catalogue and adding country restrictions to some tracks," likely means "we are going to remove every song you'll probably want to listen to, and anyone in the UK will get fuck all anyway. They say they won't remove any more after this, and from now it'll only grow. I have my doubts.

All Tool songs have been removed now, same goes for Metallica (who said they didn't want to be a part of the service at all, they won't be coming back), Dave Matthews Band has gone, and bizarrely, all the Chrono Trigger music they had has gone. I feel sorry for the people who upgraded to the premium service.
  • TheStylishHobo 29 Jan 2009 21:02:16 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Going down the tubes already

Oh well, it was good for the week or so it lasted. "we are going to be removing a number of songs from our catalogue and adding country restrictions to some tracks," likely means "we are going to remove every song you'll probably want to listen to, and anyone in the UK will get fuck all anyway. They say they won't remove any more after this, and from now it'll only grow. I have my doubts.

Well aren't you optimistic >_>
  • Page

of 28 First / Last