Games that have aged well/badly Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• yegon 12 Apr 2013 21:08:22 5,300 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Topic fail - SNES Mario Kart is as good as it ever was, I still play it mp, a miiiiillion times better than every MK since.

/mushroom boosts from thread
  • joeymoto108 13 Apr 2013 08:13:26 647 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can confirm that SNES Mario Kart is still the dogs bollocks.
    The original Pokemon games are still as wonderful as when they were released, apart from the fact that you can't run like in the newer ones.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• jonsaan 13 Apr 2013 08:33:41 25,353 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mode 7 is not really 3d though. It's great and has aged well in comparison to wobbly polygons.

FCUTA!

• iancognito 19 Mar 2014 11:01:23 1,382 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retro(ish) as it dates from the mid-90s but I recently saw the first four Broken Sword games on PC on Amazon for about 9. Thought it was worth a go. There's been a bit of tweaking so they're exactly like the first time you played them. I've just finished the first two.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars: had a lot of humour in it - George carrying his sewer key to various countries, keen to show it to everyone he met. Also the tissue he found in the sewer.

Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror: still good, but I didn't quite like it as much as the first. There aren't really any "align the shapes to open the door" puzzles until the end. There are a lot of puzzles that involve talking to everyone two or three times before someone tells you where to go next, which isn't really a puzzle. Nico & George refuse to show the strange items to people. There's a standard "He wouldn't be interested in that" response.

Both games leave you to work out a lot more than more modern games, not quite spoon feeding you with the solution. Sometimes that can be frustrating because you don't quite know what the problem is (particularly in game 2 for me). You might come across two objects - one working and one broken - and it would end up trial and error whether you were supposed to fix, break, salvage parts or if one of them was completely irrelevant. There was a help system but it tends to say things like "I'm trapped in a room, how do I get out?" which is a long way from a helpful hint.

Anyway, both were worth playing if you like point and click or puzzle games.
  • GiarcYekrub 19 Mar 2014 11:03:52 3,783 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube still looks great 12 years on
  • Steve_Perry 19 Mar 2014 11:04:36 4,332 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I started the first broken sword when it was released on android. Bastard hard and I really don't have the time.

/is thick

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Psiloc 19 Mar 2014 11:55:03 1,469 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone remember Yar's Revenge on the Atari? Now I'm not gonna claim it doesn't look insanely old, but more than most Atari games it tried to have a distinctive style/tone/theme and it definitely still comes across today. It helps that the gameplay is awesome and simple enough to be timeless too.

I'd also hold up Konami's 16-bit scrolling beat-em-ups as undefeated in that genre on gameplay terms and the 2D graphics were beautiful.

EDIT: Don't know why I'm re-reading this now, but I meant Capcom, not Konami. Konami made the outstanding Turtles in Time but their others definitely have aged.

Edited by Psiloc at 11:02:19 29-03-2014
  • thelzdking 6 Apr 2014 00:34:16 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube still looks great 12 years on
    True this.
  • stealthfinger 6 Apr 2014 01:33:37 62 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still play descent on the pc now and again. Just as good as it's always been.
  • Metro_ 6 Apr 2014 05:39:29 9 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    In terms of 3D, Xbox/PS2 era games only just about hold up today.

360/PS3 gen is the first that will really hold up long term, particularly some of the latter day big budget games with incredible production values, such as GTA V and Halo 4.

In my opinion of course.
  • Raiko101 6 Apr 2014 07:10:51 6,341 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm surprised GTA V still holds up, being nearly 7 months old. :p

Are we just talking about games that have held up visually, or games that actually still play well?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• BigOrkWaaagh 6 Apr 2014 08:14:29 2,051 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The infinity engine - Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale etc. has aged amazingly well. I could happily play any of them through today in their entirety.

Previously midnight_walker

• Carlo 6 Apr 2014 08:33:15 18,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Ahhhhh, people who insist on referring to the PlayStation 1 as PSX...
    you mean ps2

PSN ID: Djini

• saintedd 6 Apr 2014 08:53:39 302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still love to boot up Timesplitters Future Perfect on the PS2 every so often, shame to online has gone.
  • ibenam 6 Apr 2014 09:25:31 1,438 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Original theme park on pc is still boss.
  • reggy72 6 Apr 2014 09:46:18 285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I personally find anything on the PS1 really hard on the eyes these days, the N64 a lot less so depending upon title, but some of those N64 frame rates on a few titles leave a lot to be desired.

Pretty much everything apart from assisted cartridges on the Super Nintendo holds up pretty well, Better in a lot of cases when compared to Neo Geo AES/MVS, sure the Neo could produce some nice scaling and effects not seen in Snes titles, but the stronger palate of colours and seemingly sharper resolution found on the snes is easier on the eyes these days, I've just revisited Super Castlevania after near on 20 years and found some of the artwork and soundscape simply brilliant still.
  • Pure-Ultra 6 Apr 2014 15:29:57 741 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I put PGR4 on the other day and to my surprise thought the graphics looked very very dated. Shows how much things moved on over the course of the 360/PS3 era.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Apr 2014 15:57:13 1,838 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm replaying Deus Ex (original) at the moment and it's still absolutely fantastic - the story is great, the dialogue sharp and the atmosphere is spot on.

Even now it plays like a dream (though the shooting is pretty naff).

Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:57:28 06-04-2014
  • Deleted user 6 April 2014 16:04:18
    Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64.

Playing it on my phone, still looks and excellent and plays beautifully.
  • WoodenSpoon 6 Apr 2014 16:09:19 12,285 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Skyrim looks pretty awful when it's doing anything other than distant landscapes. Think it might have looked that way when it came out though.

On the subject of the PSX/N64 - there's something about those muddy flickering Playstation graphics that I can't help but like. Next to that N64 stuff can seem quite sterile I think.

+1 to whoever said the RE make had aged well too - I half wish more games would go down the pre-rendered route.
  • bobdebob 6 Apr 2014 19:04:43 587 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I'm replaying Deus Ex (original) at the moment and it's still absolutely fantastic - the story is great, the dialogue sharp and the atmosphere is spot on.

Well, the graphics look very dated but I remember thinking it looked ugly when it was released.

The voice acting is pretty hit and miss as well, though it lead to some funny moments. 'What a shame.'
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Apr 2014 19:26:37 78,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are more than enough mods to make Deus Ex look nice now.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• telboy007 7 Apr 2014 22:31:19 521 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yars Revenge (Atari 2600) is still the dogs.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• SamNunn92 7 Apr 2014 23:01:17 244 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think a lot of Megadrive games have aged really well, in particular the Sonic games. Still looks sick at 60Hz, and Scrap Brain Zone is still a PITA.

Also with regard to PS1 games, I think the art style makes a huge difference - the original Crash Bandicoot for me still looks great and I think it's because they chose that kind of chunky art style. Medievil on the other hand looks fucking terrible nowadays.
  • HelloNo 7 Apr 2014 23:01:50 1,125 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Well, the graphics look very dated but I remember thinking it looked ugly when it was released.

The voice acting is pretty hit and miss as well, though it lead to some funny moments. 'What a shame.'
    And anything ever said in a French accent. Wait til you get to the Paris sewers again.
  • Raiko101 7 Apr 2014 23:11:47 6,341 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @yegon Until very recently, i'd have shared your opinion of Super Mario Kart. However, having been playing it again, recently, it's not aged as well as I remember. It still looks great and handles well, but the AI is very dated and ruins the experience, somewhat.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Rhaegyr 7 Apr 2014 23:32:35 1,838 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    There are more than enough mods to make Deus Ex look nice now.
    Indeed - the New Vision mod and HDTP alone make it look considerably better.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2014 00:18:53
    Broken Sword 1 & 2 was all hand drawn and will always look good in my opinion. Glad to see 5 return to these roots.
  • Tiger_Walts 8 Apr 2014 10:19:38 16,595 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Topic fail - SNES Mario Kart is as good as it ever was, I still play it mp, a miiiiillion times better than every MK since.

/mushroom boosts from thread
    MK Super Circuit on the GBA is the only one that can hold a candle to SMK.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• yegon 8 Apr 2014 10:26:19 5,300 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Raiko101

It's multiplayer I think is still great. Between like skilled players it's still a fantastic game in 2p. Time trial is still good too, the tracks being so tight lends well to shaving off a hundredth here and there. I find all of this almost completely absent in it's modern incarnations sadly.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last