• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 20 Mar 2013 05:35:11 13,571 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:
    Morrowwind looks like shit now. It also plays like shit.
    I disagree on both counts. It looks old, but it doesn't look bad. It doesn't even look that old.
    Especially now you can slap the Morrowind overhaul onto it.
    Some parts of Morrowind looked bloody rubbish even back when it was released. The character models and some of the animations especially were appalling. But the world itself was always pretty awesome I thought and, especially with some mods, stands up OK today.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 09:13:05
    Last year, I tried out Cookie on a ZX Spectrum emulator (for Mac OS 8.6).

Not only was it as enjoyable as I recall it being in my infancy, but I got considerably further this time as well. Those sorts of 'arcade' games had tremendous replay value: you could play them again and again and again..

Nemesis (Gradius) on the MSX has also stood the test of time.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 09:50:09
    The only games that seem to age well are the 2D sprite based games, all of the early 3D games look like arse. In fact I reckon the vast majority of Megadrive games have fared a lot better than PS1 games because of this, I can play the original Sonic the Hedgehog quite happily but trying the original Tomb Raider these days is really quite painful.
  • Max_Powers 20 Mar 2013 10:17:32 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First generation 2D games (up untill the 16-bit era) and first generation 3D games (up untill midway into PlayStation 2's lifecycle) are mostly unplayable now.

Games made in the 'final' era of 2D games i.e. Super Mario World have aged very well and most modern 3D games will still be enjoyable 15 years from now. It's just a matter of devs. first having to perfect the form and technology.

It's the same for movies. First generation films only hold value for historians.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 10:24:48
    Some games have great concepts but the engine dates badly. Driller was amazing but it's a million times more playable in the Ovine "HD Remake" (ditto Exile and the other stuff they've remade)
  • Humperfunk 20 Mar 2013 10:52:37 2,289 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A game that's aged incredibly well is FFIX, what a game Jeff!

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• quadfather 20 Mar 2013 11:47:21 12,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Why do I see no mention of Doom in this thread?

Good call

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• imamazed 20 Mar 2013 11:49:59 5,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather In terms of well or badly?

Haven't played it for years
  • Mola_Ram 20 Mar 2013 12:45:51 7,710 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you say doom has aged badly, you need to get out. Now.
  • Zidargh 20 Mar 2013 13:00:53 1,678 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would argue that anything that has been stylised, i.e. The Wind Waker, Jet Set Radio, Viewtiful Joe, FFVI is almost guaranteed to age well aesthetically.
  • quadfather 20 Mar 2013 13:07:24 12,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doom = good, obviously :)

Plus it's got more life than ever with all the decent mods. Especially the hard ones like Hell Revealed 1 and 2. Anyone tried those?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mr_Sleep 20 Mar 2013 13:09:39 17,185 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    I played and completed crackdown recently. Great game
    It is a fun game but I booted that up for some coop over the weekend and it looks pretty rough around the edges now. It's odd how ones perception of these things changes, even within a consoles life cycle. I recall Crackdown being a pretty good looking game but now it just looks a bit jaggy and rubbish.

You are a factory of sadness.

• macmurphy 20 Mar 2013 13:17:29 999 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny I thought crackdown aged pretty quick. I thought it was amazing but then when I went back to it the handling in the cars was God awful.

I seem to be in the minority but I could still play Goldeneye quite happily. It still has that tension in levels like Facility, license to kill, pistols. When you have people opening and closing doors, people coming from two directions, slaps, firing the magnum through the glass. You rarely get decent local multiplayer any more and there's still something really satisfying about taking in everyone else's screens and acting accordingly. Loads of tight matches, grenade launchers on Temple, prox mines on Complex. There's loads of features that just seemed to begin and end with Goldeneye, and the nostalgia probably helps a lot.

I love it. Probably the fact that my mates would shit kittens if I tried to make them play Battlefield, but will still happily play Goldeneye, helps a lot. Also I'm still fucking aces at it.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Mar 2013 13:22:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most 3D playstation games are just unplayable by modern standards. The 2D ones tend to hold up better, as do those with simple mechanics that weren't limited by the system (E.g.: Platformers like Klonoa).
  • ecu 20 Mar 2013 13:25:03 77,034 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Funny I thought crackdown aged pretty quick. I thought it was amazing but then when I went back to it the handling in the cars was God awful.
    The car handling in Crackdown was always awful. It's nothing to do with age, it was just badly implemented. Driver had good car handling and that was a PS1 game.
  • RyanDS 20 Mar 2013 13:27:06 9,593 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Most 3D playstation games are just unplayable by modern standards. The 2D ones tend to hold up better, as do those with simple mechanics that weren't limited by the system (E.g.: Platformers like Klonoa).
    I find them perfectly playable on the psp, however on a tv screen I can't even start.
  • Widge Moderator 20 Mar 2013 13:46:27 13,700 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Soul Reaver 2

I remember it being amazing at the time, full of atmosphere. Now it looks like an empty box of a game, with a really good storyline.

The advancement in 3rd person gaming like God Of War etc. really make it look aged.

Strangely, I find the likes of Final Fantasy 7 - 9 have aged decently thanks to those lovely 2D backdrops. Stuff which ape it like Chaos Rings don't look out of place at all in today's gaming world.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• spindle9988 20 Mar 2013 13:48:44 3,626 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved soul reaver. Wouldn't boot it up now tho, bet it looks horrific
  • ecu 20 Mar 2013 13:58:08 77,034 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG1dqz3f0o
  • Latin 20 Mar 2013 17:37:20 3,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ecureuil Yeah, that's one skill of mine that definitely did not get levelled up!

Bought Final Fantasy Tactics for my PSP when it first came out(5 years ago?) and it's based on an a 15 year old game... Was still awesome.

Think I would play most of the old FF games on a handheld... Big screen probably not.
  • TheHammerite 25 Mar 2013 02:09:13 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Soul Reaver holds up quite well imo. Just as long as you dont mind block puzzles.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 19:33:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS totally. I bought 3/VC/SA in a steam pack and was sure I remembered them being better. This was the point I was making about saints row 3 before, GTA games just aren't really any fun once the magic of the world is gone.

(I haven't played 4 but I've heard it's similar)

Chinatown wars is easily the most enjoyable GTa game
  • FWB 12 Apr 2013 19:37:47 44,847 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deus Ex. Yes it has. And I want an mobile version.

Edited by FWB at 19:37:58 12-04-2013
  • SparkyMarky81 12 Apr 2013 19:41:24 567 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Monkey Island is still fun. I played through via an emulator and it's still great, and really funny.

The graphics are obviously rough, but the music is fantastic.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 19:46:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS most things we like as kids are rubbish, but that's just a sign we know more than we used to!

At the time they were amazing achievements, but time has taken away the polish!
  • bladdard 12 Apr 2013 19:47:50 978 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Defender and Phoenix on Atari 2600 are still very playable even today.
  • ibenam 12 Apr 2013 19:54:18 1,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    The only games that seem to age well are the 2D sprite based games, all of the early 3D games look like arse. In fact I reckon the vast majority of Megadrive games have fared a lot better than PS1 games because of this, I can play the original Sonic the Hedgehog quite happily but trying the original Tomb Raider these days is really quite painful.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last