Games that have aged well/badly Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Darth_Flibble 31 Jul 2014 22:56:50 1,692 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    With Resident evil, its not about wanting same control method as the ps1 games.Its about having a game that is survival horror game with atmosphere, limited ammo. RE5 and 6 were all out shooters done badly with naff control. The RE:make is still pretty decent but RE:CV "HD" felt more ropey.
  • Psiloc 1 Aug 2014 10:32:21 1,461 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Finished Super Castlevania IV yesterday, on my actual SNES. We just had the retrospective and settled that its soundtrack and atmosphere and whatnot were pure awesome.

But my point here is: I finished those last three sub-boss fuckers and then I finished Dracula. I was a hero. I was on the top of the world. I got myself a beer and a cigarette because I fucking deserved it.

Finishing this game gave me a sense of accomplishment. A sense of accomplisment that let me lay down on the couch and enjoy the credits. Something I missed from almost all other games I recently finished. Games that ended with... "okay, so it's over now. Was that it?". Games that didn't make me want to do them again.

I drank my beer and smoked my cig, feeling the urge to play it again right now, and guess what, after the credits, the game started again on hard mode. It read my thoughts.

In hindisght, it's not a very hard game. There were many much harder games. But still, that joy of playing such a great game, and the joy of beating it. Priceless. This is what gaming is about.
    Well that's pretty weird, I beat Castlevania IV myself, for the first time, last Sunday. Also on a real SNES. Also thought it was awesome; they genuinely don't make 'em like that any more.

As for the topic, "aged well" doesn't do it justice, it hasn't really aged at all. And I much prefer its linear style to the later eponymous "Metroidvania" maze style because mazes bore me. I'd rate this over SotN any day.

EDIT: Actually I'm betting the EG retrospective subconsciously made me pick it up too. Funny that I'd completely forgotten reading it.

Edited by Psiloc at 10:34:42 01-08-2014
  • Rhaegyr 1 Aug 2014 10:38:02 1,689 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Eternal Darkness.

Yikes - this has not aged well. Loved it ten years ago - the sanity effects, the combat, jumping through time etc.

Now the combat feels clunky, it looks very dated, the inventory is a mess, some of the chapters feel like filler, you have to save manually (if you die, say hello to the title screen) and some of the dialogue is daft.

I still adore the concepts (time travel, sanity meter, runes for magic) but the execution is sorely lacking.

Anyone else played this recently?
  • DrStrangelove 1 Aug 2014 10:46:21 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

As for the topic, "aged well" doesn't do it justice, it hasn't really aged at all. And I much prefer its linear style to the later eponymous "Metroidvania" maze style because mazes bore me. I'd rate this over SotN any day.
    Me too, I'm currently playing it on PS3, never had the PS1 original. I love Super Metroid, and a good Castlevania spin-off in the style is no bad idea, if it's done well. But there's my problem, I find the level design boring (almost everything looks the same, and is the same most of the time), and the enemies aren't very imaginative either. Combat is very pared back from SCIV, I dislike that it's so anime, I dislike the soundtrack etc etc.

It's not really bad, but imo a bit so-so. I don't get the hype. SCIV wipes the floor with SotN.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 10:50:34 01-08-2014
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Aug 2014 10:57:06 328 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Also playing SOTN on the Vita. I had to pull up a walkthrough as I near enough explored every inch of the castle but had no idea what to do. I'm with you regarding the anime style but the music is awesome.

We've got my Father In Law's Snes in the cupboard at home and this has given me a read urge to play SCIV now, might have to give it a go again tomorrow. I don't know if it's nostalgia talking but I do think it's superior to SOTN in near enough every way. I think I broke a controller trying to scale that tower before the 3 boss / Dracula fight though.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Aug 2014 11:13:06 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A long time, I considered the best SNES games to be the Nintendo classics. Very late I now came to the conclusion that Castlevania is right up there with the best. These days, it's actually my favourite SNES game.
  • Psiloc 1 Aug 2014 11:13:19 1,461 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I came to both games as an adult so nostalgia doesn't enter into it for me, and yeah IMO SCIV > SotN easily. I don't even have to think about it.

In fact talking of games that have aged badly, I think how accepting everyone was of the repetitive bland nature of the SotN level design is a shout and it probably wouldn't fly today.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Aug 2014 11:29:02 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if SotN was the first Castlevania game for most of its fans. I mean, if it's the first you played, I can see why you'd love it, but if you come from SCIV, there's no way around noticing all the things that have been removed/changed/worsened.

That's not to say you couldn't enjoy the new stuff that it brought, but you couldn't possibly overlook that there was a lot missing.
  • gooner77 1 Aug 2014 11:31:50 764 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last of Us has aged a lot in 1 year. Not badly but it doesn't look all that shiny on Ps4
  • Stranded87 1 Aug 2014 11:41:03 892 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @gooner77 Really? I haven't played the PS4 version so don't really know how good a job they've done of it but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the better looking things on the console. From what I've seen / played of PS4 stuff so far only Infamous beats the PS3 version graphically imo, I don't even think Killzone looks as good.
  • Sharzam 1 Aug 2014 12:08:51 2,870 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never played Castlevania IV, remember giving 3 a go but that's it. Is it worth picking up on the WiiU virtual console when I get home? As my weekend plans have now changed is it the sort of game I immerse myself in or is it more pick up and play?

Oh and yes SotN was the first I played properly, and despite loving the genre never really got into it. The spell system kind of pissed me off for some reason.

Here is a game that has aged badly, Theme Hospital. Played it the other day for the hell of it and while the core concept and management is still as fun as ever the animations and humour just aren't there. I know management games are not about graphics but in the case of theme hospital it relied on its charm which it sort of lost. It needs a fresh lick of paint, but keep the same principles I think.

Edited by Sharzam at 12:16:05 01-08-2014

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Kins 1 Aug 2014 12:11:04 11 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tomba/Tombi on the PSOne is still as fun today as it was when it first came out. Just a really fun platformer and it still looks pretty great, lots of colourful environments.

Drinker of Tea and other fine beverages.

• DrStrangelove 1 Aug 2014 12:15:16 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Sharzam

It is fantastic, a true classic, and very atmospheric. It's hard for newcomers though, so you might become pretty frustrated.

Definitely worth it, it's just likely that you'll throw away the controller and play something else a few times.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 12:15:50 01-08-2014
  • Malek86 1 Aug 2014 12:19:07 819 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you want a game that has aged well, try Magic Carpet (the second one, I guess, it's easier to run today). Still works like a charm, so much that I'm surprised no game has ever quite replicated the concept.
  • Grax 1 Aug 2014 12:24:13 2,243 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Stranded87 infamous ruined last of graphically for me. It looks good but after the fluidity of second sons it looks very rogod.

Having said that, so far the game is quite good. I haven't got far but it doesn't seem best game ever yet
  • Grax 1 Aug 2014 12:24:56 2,243 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Legacy of kain soul reaver really hasn't aged well it's unplayable
  • convercide 3 Aug 2014 23:16:15 6,024 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fade to Black has aged badly. What a terrible control scheme.

As far as games that have aged well, Story of Thor on the Mega Drive always gets my vote. You could release that on PSN or XBLA today and it'd get decent reviews.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• DanB24 3 Aug 2014 23:32:02 1,975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not surprised as Fade to Black was awful at the time :lol:
  • DanB24 3 Aug 2014 23:33:00 1,975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say about 99% of the early fully 3D games look awful now to be honest.
  • Rusty_M 3 Aug 2014 23:39:49 4,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do modded games count?

I still love playing Freespace 2, even the vanilla version, but with some mods, it almost seems like it could have been made within the past couple of years.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• TAJB 5 Aug 2014 09:38:48 338 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    PS1 and N64 games look absolutely terrible now. Some games are just utterly unplayable because the graphics are absolute wank.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• TAJB 5 Aug 2014 09:38:48 338 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    PS1 and N64 games look absolutely terrible now. Some games are just utterly unplayable because the graphics are absolute wank.

• askew 5 Aug 2014 10:16:17 12,269 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Give Body Harvest a go ;)
  • DrStrangelove 5 Aug 2014 12:08:14 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SM64 still works very well, but that's of course due to the cartoonish design choice. Anything that tried to look real is laughable today.
  • SamNunn92 5 Aug 2014 12:45:54 237 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    SM64 still works very well, but that's of course due to the cartoonish design choice. Anything that tried to look real is laughable today.
    +1. I think the 3 PS1 Crash Bandicoots still look pretty ace today purely because they understood the limitations of 3D at that point and so went for a cartoony style that suits blocky graphics. Still play through the first one every year :)
  • TAJB 5 Aug 2014 13:13:02 338 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    The Final Fantasy games for PS1, especially 8&9 look fucking phenominal, even today. Only in cutscenes mind, everything else was good but doesn't hold up too well. My missus has slightly bad eyesight and can't tell whats going on in Final Fantasy 9 :/ Might just be an excuse so she doesn't have to play it with me.
    Was 9 the first Final Fantasy to incorporate multiplayer into its battle scheme?

Edit: Blended a slight amount of text speak in there. Lapse in concentration

Edited by TAJB at 13:14:13 05-08-2014

• Psiloc 19 Aug 2014 09:20:06 1,461 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TAJB wrote:
    Was 9 the first Final Fantasy to incorporate multiplayer into its battle scheme?
    No it wasn't, the SNES games did the same thing. FFIX has indeed aged brilliantly but I find the PAL version painful to play nowadays.
  • Humperfunk 19 Aug 2014 10:25:54 2,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've replayed FF 7, 8 and 9 on the Vita recently and whilst 7 looks a bit ropey, the other two still look great (particularly 9) but all three still play amazingly.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• SwissEvans 19 Aug 2014 10:42:02 97 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Played MoH: Allied Assault again recently and it was amazing, mainly because of the amount of nostalgia i had for the game when i came out.

Graphically obviously hasnt kept up, but there are mods you can get to up-res everything so its easily playable. And the gameplay stands the test of time easily. Still fun, addictive, great level design and story. Plus, its long! So plenty of gameplay hours.

Side note - I was at Gamescom last week doing press for our game, and was taken out for dinner by the PR people. One of the PR girls is married to a guy from Naughty Dog who was there with her, and chatting to him i found out he worked on the game and the Normandy beach mission. Shook his hand. It was that game that made me start modding and knew i wanted to get into the industry.
  • Banyans 19 Aug 2014 10:56:43 86 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tenchu & tenchu 2 I loved as a kid but they have not aged well for me, still fun but really wish they would remake it with a less clunky control scheme as thats the main complaint I have.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last