Games that have aged well/badly Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Zomoniac 7 May 2014 14:35:00 7,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rajin wrote:
    I never understand these Resident Evil purists that want to go back to those tank controlls. Not that i do not understand their frustation with R5 and R6, but going back is definitely not the solution.
    The controls in 4/5 (not played 6) are the same as 1, they just moved the camera. Which is why they're all shit.
  • Sharzam 7 May 2014 14:40:12 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As it is mentioned on the front page, Outcast. It has aged really badly as so often earlier 3D games do.

It was an open world game that while decent gameplay was notable for its graphics. Now that its graphics arnt anything notable the rest of the game is exposed as ok. The world and characters are still ok but no where near the charm of a proper old school adventure game.

Would be intreasting how a remake/reboot would look if the mechanics were brought up to date.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• VanillaLake 7 May 2014 14:40:39 22 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Raiko101 You have got a point there. As a matter of fact, that's the way I see Super Mario 3D Land/3D World. I hope Nintendo develops a real 3D Mario with open worlds and a 2D Mario less constricted.
  • Rajin 7 May 2014 20:29:43 619 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zomoniac

Thought it worked well in 4 due to the slower pace, and a general clear overview of the area. Reseident Evil 5 problem aside from the co-op, run through its level design that was far more narrow and more closed(camera angle's made it difficult to spot a enemy)

The movement in RE4/5 is a lot more fluid then in 1, they are by no means the same. And for someone who finds all of them so shit you sure tried many iterations :p
  • bad09 7 May 2014 20:39:45 5,783 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Rajin wrote:
    I never understand these Resident Evil purists that want to go back to those tank controlls. Not that i do not understand their frustation with R5 and R6, but going back is definitely not the solution.
    The controls in 4/5 (not played 6) are the same as 1, they just moved the camera. Which is why they're all shit.
    Yeah it's weird, whenever fans talk about going back to the roots of the game people bring up the tank controls like they went away. They didn't they just the same controls in an 3rd person shooter, that's really what people want a return to.

In terms of the arcade shooter Resident Evils (4-6) I actually think 6 was the best in terms of controls, at least it finally controls like the shooter series it so desperately wanted to be by ditching the old Resi controls. Still a fucking awful game though...
  • Steve_Perry 7 May 2014 20:45:27 3,902 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Controls are the least of the problems with those games. FWIW though I found the camera and controls in 6 so bad I've still never got past the second chapter of leons game, which is supposedly the best.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Adv 7 May 2014 20:59:50 1,767 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Me and my mates were talking about this earlier, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic.

What do you guys think? Aged well or not?
  • thelzdking 7 May 2014 21:02:56 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I think.
  • bladdard 7 May 2014 21:10:17 933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bards Tale 2 has aged really well, I was playing the Amiga version on an emulator at the weekend and yes it's visually simplistic but the maps, game mechanics and characters have stood the test of time.
  • VanillaLake 7 May 2014 21:11:38 22 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Adv, I haven't played that but the GameCube Star Wars games were technically brilliant. About Resident Evil, Capcom really should create a separate series and deliver the shooter they have in mind.
  • Adv 7 May 2014 21:16:58 1,767 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @VanillaLake Yeah, res is only the same in characters now. Guess they didn't want to risk a new franchise or something.
  • VanillaLake 8 May 2014 00:05:17 22 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Adv Well, they should. Resident Evil is best as a survival horror...
  • Rajin 8 May 2014 00:27:37 619 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Adv

Yes and no, graphics hold up okayish(played Kotor 2 not so long ago on the pc). Gameplay has never been truly great due to the weird semi-realtime combat. Roleplaying elements, representation of Star Wars and the music still hold up really well. Especially in Kotor 1, i really felt like i was becominga dark lord

I have a very high tolerance for bad graphics in general, 3D games are more difficult but i somehow manage to go back to a mindset that makes those graphics seem good(like a timetravel that ignores all progress made). This illusion is shattered the moment i combine a old game with a new one of course.

My eyes also find it difficult to play some new games for extended periods, it is all just very heavy on the eyes to follow all those details.

Edited by Rajin at 00:30:57 08-05-2014
  • Widge Moderator 8 May 2014 10:03:30 13,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Adv wrote:
    Me and my mates were talking about this earlier, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic.
    I'm a poor person to give an opinion - I thought the game wasn't really all that spectacular to start with.

After playing Dragon Age: Origins, I discovered that Bioware's forte is in writing reams of tedious NPC dialogue. Cities and towns full of these people that you sift through in the hope you don't miss a quest marker. I end up reading the subtitles and skipping the voice acting as it saps my soul incredibly so. For added credence: I happily sit through the likes of Metal Gear Solid.

Stepping back to KOTOR. Graphically it is solid if a little "marionettes running about with flailing combat" and I'm still not sold on the main combat mechanic. The biggest killer is that dialogue. The NPC's are tedious, as such the opening planet drags horrifically and anything that involves talking to a great many people turns me off entirely. Worse that this is the main character script. The homicidal robot you pick up is excellent but your main character has a strict selection of pious (light side), nowhere middle ground responses and "I'm a massive dick" (dark side). Seriously, whoever designed the dark side stuff obviously decided that comment thread troll was the best way to go, rather than the consistent and persistent chill of someone like Vader.

Mass Effect stands out as a bit of genius in this respect. Ok, the first game is another test of enduring the dull when you get to the Citadel, but the game ramps up. Once they hit the second game, the script was utterly enthralling, helped greatly by the sparky dialogue wheel.

I recently grabbed it on iPad where I played through to the Jedi enclave. Once again I have drifted away from the game, unenthralled and never finding it popping into my thoughts. Back in the day, I traded it for Morrowind, would do so again in a heartbeat. I think a lot of the game trades on being set in the Star Wars universe (especially as one of the few good Star Wars games), strip that away and the ability to twiddle a lightsaber around and it isn't that special.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Widge Moderator 8 May 2014 10:04:08 13,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Adv wrote:
    @VanillaLake Yeah, res is only the same in characters now. Guess they didn't want to risk a new franchise or something.
    Who is publishing that game by the original RE creator?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Dairyfree 8 May 2014 10:27:37 1,154 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Adv wrote:

Never played it at launch and tried recently and I say badly.

It's my favourite genre and I love Star Wars but the enviroments are so empty and terrible map layout because of it. I can see how it would have been amazing at the time, but playing it now it's a bit shit.
  • Dairyfree 8 May 2014 10:28:23 1,154 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    And the combat is shit.
  • vijay_UK 8 May 2014 10:29:28 2,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Diablo III: Reaper of Souls aged pretty badly imo.
  • Esppiral 10 May 2014 10:56:42 68 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anything pre-Dreamcast has aged terribly bad.
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 11:00:48 3,830 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All GTA games seem to age incredibly quickly.

SA and VC are nothing like I remember them.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 May 2014 11:01:51 8,013 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I completely disagree with that as a number of Megadrive and SNES games are classics. Also a few great PS1 and N64 games (but those have graphical aged a lot even though games like Zelda, FF and MGS still play very well).
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 11:02:45 3,830 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NHL 93 is my most played game on my DS by far.
    Holds up great
  • PazJohnMitch 10 May 2014 11:03:07 8,013 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    All GTA games seem to age incredibly quickly.

SA and VC are nothing like I remember them.
    That is probably due to how much they evolve each time.
  • Raiko101 10 May 2014 11:48:16 6,219 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All PS2 Gta games have tank like controls and a dodgy frame rate. They haven't aged badly. They were always bad. We just tolerated it at the time, because it was Gta.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• skuzzbag 10 May 2014 12:38:22 5,638 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SA on my PS2 barely had a floor for much of the game.
  • DrStrangelove 11 May 2014 00:58:25 3,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    All PS2 Gta games have tank like controls and a dodgy frame rate. They haven't aged badly. They were always bad. We just tolerated it at the time, because it was Gta.
    Not sure about X360 or GTA5, but GTA4 on PS3 runs just as dreadfully as its PS2 predecessors.
  • onestepfromlost 11 May 2014 05:08:19 2,045 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    Adv wrote:

Never played it at launch and tried recently and I say badly.

It's my favourite genre and I love Star Wars but the enviroments are so empty and terrible map layout because of it. I can see how it would have been amazing at the time, but playing it now it's a bit shit.
    I don't know I went back and played both of them recently and graphics aging aside enjoyed both of them. Ok the first one is a little bit slow on the first planet but after that its still good I feel.
  • reggy72 11 May 2014 08:14:43 272 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Although it has greater depth and breadth of options, I actually prefer F-Zero on the SNES, myself. But that's one for the unpopular opinions thread.
    F-zero was the game that made me go to a local importer and drop 300 on a Superfamicom with F-zero and Super Mario World, mode 7 was jaw dropping in its day.
  • Adv 15 May 2014 23:52:16 1,767 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Went back and played FF8 the other day. Graphically it looks bad, but the story, characters and junction/battle system were still good to me. Actually, I'm tempted to play it all again :)
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2014 22:40:10 3,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished Super Castlevania IV yesterday, on my actual SNES. We just had the retrospective and settled that its soundtrack and atmosphere and whatnot were pure awesome.

But my point here is: I finished those last three sub-boss fuckers and then I finished Dracula. I was a hero. I was on the top of the world. I got myself a beer and a cigarette because I fucking deserved it.

Finishing this game gave me a sense of accomplishment. A sense of accomplisment that let me lay down on the couch and enjoy the credits. Something I missed from almost all other games I recently finished. Games that ended with... "okay, so it's over now. Was that it?". Games that didn't make me want to do them again.

I drank my beer and smoked my cig, feeling the urge to play it again right now, and guess what, after the credits, the game started again on hard mode. It read my thoughts.

In hindisght, it's not a very hard game. There were many much harder games. But still, that joy of playing such a great game, and the joy of beating it. Priceless. This is what gaming is about.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last