Games that have aged well/badly Page 5

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Tiger_Walts 8 Apr 2014 10:26:42 16,593 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Doom = good, obviously :)

Plus it's got more life than ever with all the decent mods. Especially the hard ones like Hell Revealed 1 and 2. Anyone tried those?
    Look for Brutal Doom. That is all.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Raiko101 8 Apr 2014 13:52:11 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @yegon Those are definitely the game's strongest aspects and you're right, they're all pretty much abscent in the other games. I imagine that's what F-Zero existed for, but that series has long gone.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• pigsy2400 8 Apr 2014 14:31:51 153 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turok on n64, foggier than the film THE FOG, AWFUL
  • Recon64 25 Apr 2014 19:51:30 46 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Gran Turismo 4 through component looks great, even now, top notch just like at release.

Splinter cell chaos theory on Xbox through component, jaw dropping for the hardware.

Most N64 games have aged badly for me in smoothness, even with the expansion pack they have FPS pronlems, the core gameplay is there though.
  • VanillaLake 5 May 2014 23:30:46 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    What do you think about Perfect Dark (N64)? I played Goldeneye 007 (N64) when I was a child and I really loved it. I almost beat some stages on 007 Agent (hardest difficulty setting). Recently, I bought a second hand Perfect Dark cartridge but I cannot complete the first mission on Special Agent mode, which is the normal difficulty setting. By the way, what is better to choose, High Definition mode or Normal mode? Does the frame rate get any better on Normal mode?

Anyway, I would say that Goldeneye 007 aged a bit better but perhaps it's just because I know that game much better.

Super Mario Kart is the best because it is the most challenging and exciting racing game in the series. On the other hand, Mario Kart Wii sucks because it's all about the items.

Edited by VanillaLake at 23:58:19 05-05-2014
  • Raiko101 6 May 2014 09:27:14 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mario Kart was always about items. Its just Nintendo failed to find that balance with the original game.

Personally, I feel Super Mario Kart is one of the weakest i'm the series. Perhaps 2nd weakest after Mario Kart 64. The courses are too small. The AI slows down in an attempt to block you. They spam weapons every three or four seconds and they're glued into particular positions during the race.

Although it has greater depth and breadth of options, I actually prefer F-Zero on the SNES, myself. But that's one for the unpopular opinions thread.

• VanillaLake 6 May 2014 12:30:23 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Raiki101, that's what I mean, Mario Kart Wii is the most unbalanced entry in the series where all that matters are the objects and sometimes is better to be in 8th position than in first. It's more a party game than a racing game. In spite of my avatar, my favourite Mario Kart is Double Dash!!
  • Raiko101 6 May 2014 12:47:44 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although Mario Kart Wii is a bit mental, it does have motion control, which I find makes the game a lot more fun. Especially when you've got 3 other mates playing with you. It can often be a game of pot luck, but more often than not, the best player seems to win.

The 3DS and DS versions are the highlights of the series though. Great controls and tracks. I hope Mario Kart 8 feels more like those games, than the Wii one.

• Widge Moderator 6 May 2014 13:02:58 13,561 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Soul Reaver 2.

I went back to play this after remembering I loved the story and it looks so vacant now. Was graphically wowed by it back in the day and can only see empty static environments now.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 6 May 2014 13:04:56 13,561 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LOL @ ME. I came into this thread about a hundred years ago and said the exact same thing. Must be true then.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DrStrangelove 6 May 2014 14:55:45 3,941 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:

Personally, I feel Super Mario Kart is one of the weakest i'm the series. Perhaps 2nd weakest after Mario Kart 64.
    Funny, they're best and 2nd best to me. What I like about SMK is that there's still some driving skill part to it. Rudimentary, but it was there, making it fun even in single player. Mario Kart 64 was ace in multiplayer, especially (or almost exclusively) the donut battle stage. I don't want to know how much we played that, there's a lot of tactics actually if you want to master it. Single player was terrible though, because it was really only about the items, its AI players are the cheapest cheating cunts of any game I ever played.

Never could warm towards anything that came after.
  • Widge Moderator 6 May 2014 15:10:07 13,561 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MK64 always felt really sluggish. Almost as if the kart wasn't really connected to the track and had no sense of speed.

I preferred the maligned Double Dash.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DrStrangelove 6 May 2014 15:25:33 3,941 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It definitely felt odd, but battle mode in donut stage was one of my all-time gaming favourites.
  • Zomoniac 6 May 2014 16:37:21 7,827 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played some Pandemonium on PS1 yesterday. I really don't remember it being quite so terrible.
  • superbob85 6 May 2014 17:43:31 2,041 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Most N64 games haven't aged well in my opinion.
  • Rajin 6 May 2014 17:55:43 621 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid has aged very well, controlls aren't great but all in all for a 3D PS1 game i'd say its still brilliant.

Banjo Kazooie N64: Has aged as one would expect, the camera is bloody awfull but the crisp and colorfull graphics hold up. Game is still really fun as well, although the multiplayer mode is better left alone.

Resident Evil 1: God this game is awful now, stopped playing after 1 hour. Played the gamecube version the same day, and while the graphics are great it still controlls complete shit(and there is no feedback on gunshots on zombie's)

I never understand these Resident Evil purists that want to go back to those tank controlls. Not that i do not understand their frustation with R5 and R6, but going back is definitely not the solution.

Edited by Rajin at 17:57:41 06-05-2014
  • VanillaLake 6 May 2014 20:32:06 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Rajin Resident Evil Remake is still my favourite entry in the series, not only did Capcom add awesome graphics but expanded the whole game. The tank controls actually work if you really feel that you are the on-screen character. I admit these controls should be renovated for a new game but what RE fans (including myself) ask for is more the magnificent setting and player's immersion than the primitive controls. At least, this is my guess.
  • superbob85 6 May 2014 21:38:34 2,041 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I recently played crash 1 & 2 on ps1 suprisingly hold up well m.
  • stryker1121 6 May 2014 22:02:06 692 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is no going back to the original Resi style. Resi4 was the perfect balance between the old games and the new, action-oriented titles. Though it's been a good 10 years since I played it.
  • jonsaan 6 May 2014 22:11:07 25,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zomoniac oh I do. Utter gash.

Edited by jonsaan at 22:11:22 06-05-2014

FCUTA!

• Vortex808 6 May 2014 22:20:26 7,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    @Zomoniac oh I do. Utter gash.
    Definitely. I think I might have bought it on release too. Disappointment beckoned swiftly.

Worst of all, I can't even think *why* I bought Pandemonium. I wasn't a big platform fan (Chuckie Egg excepted), and I think I got taken in by some overly-exuberant review. Possibly on teletext as I'd have been too old to face buying a games magazine.

So it might be digitizer's fault. Or whatever variant it was back then.

Edited by Vortex808 at 22:24:34 06-05-2014
  • DanB24 6 May 2014 22:21:58 1,974 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's probably already been said but imo the original 2D Sonic games haven't aged one bit. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 6 May 2014 22:48:37 8,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the controls have aged on the old Megadrive Sonics but the games are still ace.
  • MightyMouse 6 May 2014 23:46:49 1,133 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone said Severance yet? If not, Severance.
  • Raiko101 6 May 2014 23:48:03 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the controls on the Mega Drive games are the best the series has ever had. The momentum is spot on, which results in some really fluid movement. You feel like you're in complete control and you can be so incredibly precise with your movements.

I like some of the new moves they've given Sonic since, like the rail grinding and the homing attack, but the handling on some of the recent Sonic games is just too stiff, or too sluggish, or too start/stop. It's anything but fluid.

My opinion, of course.

• VanillaLake 7 May 2014 00:16:16 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Raiko101 It's true. It's shocking that neither Sega has made better Sonics nor Nintendo has made better 2D Marios since the 16 bit era.
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 00:42:12 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @VanillaLake I don't think it's all that shocking to be honest. Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog came about during an era in which platformers were king. They were the big budget video game and the first kind of video game you thought of when somebody mentioned video games.
    They were plentiful and there was a lot of competition.

Nintendo's problem these days is that they rely to heavily on old ideas and concepts. New Super Mario Bros U is a genuinely great game. I'd say as good as SMB3. However, it's nothing you've not experienced before.

Sega's problem seems to have something to do with it's relationship with Sonic Team. We were all lead to believe that creating a 3D Sonic game was tough. Perhaps it couldn't be done. And then they went ahead and released Sonic 4 and showed us that they're also incapable of developing 2D Sonic games as well.

• VanillaLake 7 May 2014 00:55:32 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Raiko101 But then you meet Rayman Legends, which is so carefully crafted and also innovative.

New Super Mario Bros. U is good but the controls are simplified if you compare it to Super Mario World. No longer are you able to toss items upwards, you cannot enter pipes with something in your hands, thus the mysteries are reduced; the baby Yoshis are incidental, Mario movements are slower and more limited... Yes, best entry among the "New" ones but still far from Super Mario World.

Sonic 4 was a huge disappointment, nice graphics but awkward controls (I only played first chapter on Wii).
  • kafiota 7 May 2014 06:04:43 18 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the best Shmups hold up for ever.
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 14:29:01 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @VanillaLake I agree with you on all fronts, except Rayman Legends, which although a great game, is particularly linear for a platformer. I know that sounds weird, considering most platformers are about getting from A to B, but with Rayman it feels as if there's a very particular line you need to take in order to achieve that. It's very rigid in that respect. It's wonderfully polished, artistically, but mechanically is quite disapointing (in my opinion). I prefer NSMBU.

• Page

of 8 First / Last