5.1 surround sound headphones Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• DUFFMAN5 7 Nov 2008 11:45:34 14,540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi fella
    You don't really need surround as long as they are of good build. I have a Tritton pair for my 360 and they are great. Cost is around £80.00. Just to update my post.

My Ax360 are surround 5.1 with the decoder box, which is very small and neat. I used them last night for a bit of Fable II and Halo3. The instructions tell you to put the voice through your tv and headset (on your options blade), if you want to use live of course. I did that and had a chat with my mate no problems at all.

I'm not too sure yet if I'm going to keep or send back. I only recieved them yesterday, I had them on for around 90 mins and although the sound was brilliant as was the rumble (Halo3) they did make my ears and head very warm!

I might have to look into a surround sound set up.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 7 November 2008 12:46:57
    So with these headphones, would hear stuff going on behind you, bullets whizzin past and footsteps etc?
  • Lutz 7 Nov 2008 12:49:02 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaemonB; Yup. Hence the use of the word Surround, coupled with the word Sound.
    ;)

Mine are aces. :)
  • Deleted user 7 November 2008 12:53:57
    yeah I gathered m8 but wondered was this a sales gimmick, and no where near the real thing.
  • Lutz 7 Nov 2008 12:56:41 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're not quite as good as a very good system.
    To use the not-very-good method of money comparrison, my headphones were £60. They're significantly better than my old 5.1 surround set up, which cost about £250. They not as good as, but not by a huge margin, my dads £lots surround sound set up.

The biggest downside naturally, is that the headphones only work on your ears. Not anyone elses at the same time. ;)

However my decoder box does have room for 3 sets of headphones.

No gimmick.
  • MrWonderstuff 8 Sep 2009 15:05:04 1,925 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just moved into a terraced house and don't want to piss off the neighbours with my 5.1 I have...how are peoples experiences with surround headsets for the 360? Still AX360?
  • KingOfSpain 8 Sep 2009 15:30:19 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've still got my ax360s and they are still great, although I did brake the mic by sucking it up with the hoover!!
  • Tillbo81 25 Sep 2009 09:51:39 73 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know where you can get the AX360's from? Can't seem to find anywhere selling them?
  • buggrit 25 Sep 2009 10:08:20 5,178 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be patient and wait a couple of weeks for the new Turtle Beach cans mate.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2009 10:21:20
    Quick update on the Sony surround sound headphones, there still going strong. Actually really glad I bought them beacuse although they were expensive, I use them pretty much every day & they sound great. The Jap to UK stepdown thing that came with them kinda.. blew up.. a few months back, but I had no trouble finding another & it didn't seem to do them any harm.. Ive no idea if there avaliable in the UK yet or how much, but I would still recomend them :)
  • asphaltcowboy 25 Sep 2009 10:46:00 5,139 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    According to the guy doing the astrogaming twitter feed, there should be some news for us UKers looking for A40s that don't want to have them shipped from the US. I was complaining about the exchange rate, delivery cost and potential import taxes and fees and he said there should be some good news to announce in a few weeks! Hopefully they've got a UK reseller!
  • Deleted user 9 April 2010 18:44:35
    Bump.

Any recommendations on the best (sub £200) surround sound headphones out there now? I don't care about having a mic, I really want them for films via the PS3 when having loud speakers on isn't an option.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2010 19:46:14
    I have the Turtle Beach EarForce X41s. They're wireless and the sound quality is pretty good. They don't work with DTS 5.1 but you can get the PS3 to output DTS as PCM (2-channel) which does work. I think the technology in most of these fake surround headphones is Dolby. By "fake surround", I mean that a surround effect is simulated through two speakers. Some have multiple speakers in each cup too.

They're about £150, probably a good deal less in some places.

The Astro A40s are wired and a good bit more expensive but are supposedly better.
  • MattyB2007 1 Aug 2010 17:46:55 2,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any new shakes when it comes to these? Really at a loss as to which to plump for when I get paid next! X41s? A40s? Some Tritton ones? Who knows!

Live - Revenge First,
    Wii U/PSN & Steam - Revenge_First (Matt on Wii U as well)
    3DS - Matt - 1246-8695-7316

• Deleted user 1 August 2010 22:33:57
    Tesco are selling the X41s for £125 right now. They are around £150 in most other places.
  • MattyB2007 1 Aug 2010 23:00:18 2,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep saw that before. One thing that's seriously tempting me towards them!

Live - Revenge First,

• Deleted user 1 August 2010 23:02:04
    I want to buy the Tritton AXPRO's but I can't find a uk site that sells them or has them in stock :'(
  • MattyB2007 1 Aug 2010 23:26:34 2,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which ones did you get exactly Fishy? The x-tactic ones?

Live - Revenge First,

• PrivateFloyd 1 Aug 2010 23:49:21 4,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have that with my Tritton AX360's (which if i remember are just re-branded Sharkoons).

Sounds like your on board a spaceship with loads of beepy noises going off!!!

Im hovering over the buy it now button on the X41's atm!!

Might read a few reviews first.

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 2 August 2010 00:09:50
    I have the X4s and when there is complete silence there is a very slight but audible static/hiss. Not distracting but it is there.
  • MattyB2007 2 Aug 2010 00:37:51 2,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the 5.1 good tho Fishy? Does it help yur Halo game? :p

Live - Revenge First,

• byron_hinson 2 Aug 2010 07:28:31 1,511 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i Find the logitech G35's the best fake 7.1 headset I've used, works really well on the PC. Doesn't work on 360 or PS3 mind you!
  • ChocNut 2 Aug 2010 08:30:41 2,184 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've the sharkoons and that spaceship effect too. To be honest it's rare that I notice it and it doesn't bother me too much.

These xtatic 5.1s were my first foray into ss headphones and the fact that they support chat and work on both the ps3 and xbox is pretty cool.

The main problem for me with these is that you don't hear your own voice during chat which has a tendency to make me speak louder (which defeats the point because I'm trying not to disturb other people).
  • MattyB2007 3 Aug 2010 12:47:22 2,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone use the turtle beach HPX1's and an Astro mix amp here? It's either going to be that or the X41's for me I think.

Live - Revenge First,

• PrivateFloyd 9 Aug 2010 23:54:09 4,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So,

I ordered a pair of Turtlebeach X41's and have been using them all evening. A quick summary for you would be buyers;

Point of note: I come from using a pair of Tritton AX360's.

+ How feckin' light they are! Hardly noticeable on your head.

+ Sound quality is superb. Playing L4D Versus revealed a new side of the game, literally being able to point out where the special infected are. Followed by a bout of the Kane and Lynch demo. Then some last.fm. Nice punchy bass with no distortion even at high levels.

+ The chat boost system works really well. During quiet moments of the game, chat volume is audible but not obtrusive. When it kicks off the chat volume increases with it so your team mates crying PINNED!! are still heard over the din.

+ I plugged them into by PS3 to check out "teh blu rayz sound" and there was a marked difference in the quality of the sound. Astonishing from a wireless set of cans.

+ Wireless..... I havn't heard any hiss, "spaceship effect" or the like. I have been quite shocked at the quality of the sound all night tbh.

- AAA batteries : ( For the price a re-chargeable lithium-ion battery would have been nice but a duracell charger with 4 AAA's has solved that

- Bit of an ask but multiple "digital ins" would have been appreciated so that i dont have to switch between xbox and ps3. Particularly as the Digital out "pass thru" to connect to a surround sound is pretty pointless imo.

My main (if not only) reason for having a pair of these is that the missus has REALLY random hours as an air stewardess so i get to play games and listen to them properly rather than literally having them muted when she is in bed.

In summary then, loving them.

Goat is hungry.....

• Page

of 8 First / Last