5.1 surround sound headphones Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 April 2011 16:46:12
    Thanks tricky.

It seems that i'll have to go for the Tritton AX pro then, those cables though, ughhh...

Cheers

Edit : The AX PRO are the wired ones while the AX UNIVERSAL are the wireless ones, correct ?
    Has anyone had any problems with the wireless ones like interference/sound dropping out etc ?
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2011 16:58:50 4,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's no wireless Tritton headsets at the moment.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2011 18:18:11
    Can someone help out a noob and explain to me what the bypass button does on the turtle beach x41s? When i turn it on i notice the surround sound alot more but the overall quality isnt as good as when the bypass is off. Also how do you adjust the bass volume i cant seem to find any way to do it? Thanks
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2011 18:20:50 15,388 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Can someone help out a noob and explain to me what the bypass button does on the turtle beach x41s? When i turn it on i notice the surround sound alot more but the overall quality isnt as good as when the bypass is off. Also how do you adjust the base volume i cant seem to find any way to do it? Thanks

The Bass control is the button on the left can, I think it is marked "effect" or at the least this does effect the bass, and you do need it on. Not sure what you mean by the bypass button.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Tricky 8 Apr 2011 18:58:31 4,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought the button on the left can toggles the Dolby surround on/off?
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2011 19:04:21 15,388 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...I will have a proper play with them tonight, only played in the dark so far!

• Inquisitor Moderator 14 May 2011 10:48:58 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried out the Sharkoons, which, to be fair, started off pretty darn well. They did suffer from one of the most annoying problems ever though which was a weird, space ship like series of bleeps and bloops in the background which seemed to grow ever louder over time. Returned, refunded.

It was now Turtles Beach's time to shine. Ordered a pair of X41's. The background hiss was just atrocious, I mean, really, really bad. Sent them back to Turtle Beach who said there's nothing wrong with them, it's just the way they are. Customer support was great though, they sent me a new pair, which I tried and was horrified to be once again deafened by the horrendous static sound.

Might give up on Surround sound headsets. Both the previous two have been hugely disappointing. Anyone have any recommendations. Have around 140 to spend. Might just go with a nice pair of stereo cans, preferably wireless but if all wireless sets are going to be as bad as the X41's then it'll have to be wired.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2011 10:58:07
    If you don't mind wires get some AXPRO's, they're great.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 14 May 2011 11:00:59 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The ax pro's are just repackaged Sharkoons. The amp box and the headset control are exactly the same except they've been painted silver. I'd prefer wireless too if I can avoid that nasty hissing issue.
  • Mr-Brett 14 May 2011 11:01:43 12,889 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All Turtle Beach headsets seem to be like that, wired or not...

I've heard good things about Astro's.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 14 May 2011 11:03:53
    I doubt you will find some wireless ones without the hissing sound.
  • robthehermit 14 May 2011 11:06:34 4,317 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still use my AX360's. No idea how they compare today, but to my half deaf middle aged ears they sound good enough.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Inquisitor Moderator 14 May 2011 11:10:59 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm less bothered about them being headsets at this point, just normal, mic free headphones are fine. The microphone is a distraction if anything, I'm really not the big of an online gamer any more and when I'm playing online crystal clear audio doesn't really bother me too much so I tend to use the telly speakers anyway.

• Inquisitor Moderator 14 May 2011 11:20:19 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest, maybe it's time to move onto a surround sound system? Looks like semi - decent ones from Samsung, LG and Sony are available for the price of what, so far, have been very disappointing expensive headphones. Any recommendations on this front? (Sorry, I'm beginning to sound a bit like BlizeH, taking all your recommendations and dismissing them but I'm tired of trying to find good quality surround sound cans now).
  • DUFFMAN5 14 May 2011 14:42:39 15,388 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I tried out the Sharkoons, which, to be fair, started off pretty darn well. They did suffer from one of the most annoying problems ever though which was a weird, space ship like series of bleeps and bloops in the background which seemed to grow ever louder over time. Returned, refunded.

It was now Turtles Beach's time to shine. Ordered a pair of X41's. The background hiss was just atrocious, I mean, really, really bad. Sent them back to Turtle Beach who said there's nothing wrong with them, it's just the way they are. Customer support was great though, they sent me a new pair, which I tried and was horrified to be once again deafened by the horrendous static sound.

Might give up on Surround sound headsets. Both the previous two have been hugely disappointing. Anyone have any recommendations. Have around 140 to spend. Might just go with a nice pair of stereo cans, preferably wireless but if all wireless sets are going to be as bad as the X41's then it'll have to be wired.

I pick up on "other/outside noise" ect very easy and have found the X41's to be excellent, very little if any hiss. The only thing I did get or rather give was feedback through the mic when talking to EGers (GTA IV) I'm sure I had a setting wrong though.

• NunianVonFuch 14 May 2011 14:51:10 87 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're happy enough to go without 5.1 Surround sound then I recommend the Sennheiser RS 170 Wireless Cans. They use the Kleer tech which means no hiss and no quality degredation either. They also have a virtual surround option. Been using mine since last August with no problems, great range and excellent quality (by all accounts comparable to the wired HD 555s).

Only issue is if you use wireless networking at some distance from the router. Occasionaly I lose internet connection on my laptop til I turn the cans off/on again but my Xbox and PS3 have never been effected with many multiplayer hours using the cans. Suspect it's laptop's weak wireless cards to blame.
  • Max_Powers 14 May 2011 15:56:47 1,102 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I settled for the AX Pro's and their great for sound quality but the wires really are a mess. The cords have a certain thickness or other to them that makes them tangle up ALL THE TIME! It is very annoying.

To bad all the wireless DTS headsets still have that hissing sound. If they could fix that, I would be a very happy man.

• Scurrminator 14 May 2011 17:25:36 8,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X41s are best. No wires, no hiss.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Aeon 14 May 2011 17:49:38 34 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:

I bought some AX720s a month ago and I love them, I've got a Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround sound set as well but now I only ever use them when someone is round at my house, every other time I wear these.

There was a bit of a worry a couple of weeks ago though, I heard this hissing and it sounded like water drops coming from them, so I was gutted thinking that I'd have to return them, I tried different optical cables and tried turning off the Amp for a long period of time to cool down but it was still there, and the weird thing was it had no issues before then so I was baffled... turns out the volume was somehow lowered on the Amp so when you turned it up with the volume control on the headset wire it made the hissing sound, so obviously I turned up the volume on the Amp and walah! No more problems, but anyway I definitely recommend these!
  • robthehermit 29 Sep 2011 11:15:32 4,317 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The official Xbox Tritton Warhead 7.1's have started appearing on various sites. 200 of you're hard earned monies are required. Making them about twice as expensive as current, perfectly good wired headphones. And more than twice as expensive as the official Sony equivalent.

• Deleted user 29 September 2011 11:17:30
    Are the official Sony ones coming to the UK?
  • robthehermit 29 Sep 2011 11:32:32 4,317 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:

I don't know, but you can get them on Ebay for about 80. Although I see that the surround sound only works with games and not bluray.

• mikew1985 29 Sep 2011 11:42:08 13,030 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    The ax pro's are just repackaged Sharkoons. The amp box and the headset control are exactly the same except they've been painted silver. I'd prefer wireless too if I can avoid that nasty hissing issue.

Yep and they are replete with the bleep/bloop sound effect, but I find this unoticeable when they are actually processing sound, which while gaming is pretty much 100% of the time.

Still I can see how this would annoy you a lot, I still prefer to play with my amp rather than the headphones.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2011 12:05:40
    robthehermit wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:

I don't know, but you can get them on Ebay for about 80. Although I see that the surround sound only works with games and not bluray.

Good to know, cheers.
  • Tricky 29 Sep 2011 12:43:26 4,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    The official Xbox Tritton Warhead 7.1's have started appearing on various sites. 200 of you're hard earned monies are required. Making them about twice as expensive as current, perfectly good wired headphones. And more than twice as expensive as the official Sony equivalent.

They're totally wireless though, which includes not having the usual wire connecting the headset into the Xbox pad - the Live chat is wireless because they sync directly with the console.
  • X201 29 Sep 2011 13:00:19 15,733 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:

They're totally wireless though, which includes not having the usual wire connecting the headset into the Xbox pad - the Live chat is wireless because they sync directly with the console.

Turtle Beach have some totally wireless headphones for about 160

• robthehermit 29 Sep 2011 13:03:59 4,317 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But is that worth the extra premium?

• J.C 6 Jun 2012 22:45:48 1,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lm using a viera plasma and it has a headphone connection. im not bothered about gaming headphones, i just want a pair of stereo cans for single player games. will the sound quality be ok if i just plug them into the plasma? there is an optical connection on it as well.

Edited by J.C at 22:46:32 06-06-2012
  • J.C 6 Jun 2012 23:26:07 1,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bump. anyone?
  • J.C 6 Jun 2012 23:26:10 1,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bump. anyone?
  • Page

of 8 First / Last