5.1 surround sound headphones Page 5

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• abs13 25 Jan 2011 12:00:48 54 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been using Astro Mix Amp with a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. Not sure if their a perfect match but sound fairly decent.
  • Anthony_UK 25 Jan 2011 12:17:56 2,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a pair of the X41's for chrimbo and they are good, but as someone else said I was maybe expecting to feel the surround sound a little more. There isn't a massive difference really between the X41's and the turtle beach wired stereo pair. I'd actually the sound has alot more bass on the standard stereo pair if you prefer that, you also don't have the noticeable hiss from the wireless pair.

That said I'm more than happy with my X41's the design is far more comfortable that the older models, that seem to let your ears breathe more, the sound quality overall is great and it really makes a big difference just having no wires.

• FooAtari 25 Jan 2011 15:02:40 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this for console or PC.

On the PC at least, if you have a sound card that supports Dolby a good pair of stereo headphones with virtual surround enabled provides far better surround sound than so called "real" 5.1 headsets. A quality set of stereo speakers will also provide much sound over your average 5.1 headset as well.
  • cianchristopher 25 Jan 2011 15:16:24 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love my Sennhesier 485s on the PC. They're just stereo, but they're awesome. It's actually better than the "real" 5.1 I have for my Xbox 360. But then, that's headphones for ya. Immersive!
  • Fab4 25 Jan 2011 15:21:13 6,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love my X41s...very comfortable to wear for extended gaming sessions. They do chew batteries though.

And I'd like to apologise to Turtle Beach. I posted recently that my crosstalk cable was fucked, less than 6 months from getting them. It wasn't...it was the recent XBL update that fucked up the mic. When I rebooted it, everything was back to its normal.
  • kentmonkey 25 Jan 2011 19:08:30 20,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Those Turtle Beach's look like they'd do perfectly, however he uses component cables, and it doesn't state that it works with component. Assume it does though.

Also, another idea I had today, was to purchase him a headphone amplifier, which he could then use for the Wii etc. as well (as well as listen to TV) rather than just have the 360 option.

Quite why manufacturers have deemed it totally unecessary to provide headphone sockets anymore is beyond me. Not everyone has, or even has the requirement for or indeed money for after purchasing the TV, a surround sound amp to provide a headphone socket option.
  • famous_roy 26 Jan 2011 10:05:58 4,102 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered me a pair of Tritton ax720s. Done tons of researching and such, for my 100ish price range they seem like the best bet. Quite wanted some Astro A40s but for 200 I'd rather wait till there's a solid wireless solution. Anyone have ax720s? What's the verdict?

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Inquisitor Moderator 10 Feb 2011 00:04:04 14,559 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did have a pair of Sharkoons but they suffered from some occasionally intrusive background hiss as well as a particularly annoying crackling, beeping sound. Eventually dialogue in game was sounding tinny and distorted so I sent them back. Refunded me because they couldn't source a new pair.

Now have the Turtle Beach X41s. In game sound is slightly improved (certainly voices) but it's disappointing not having the range of options to customise your listening experience. The Sharkoons allowed you to change the volume of the bass as well as each individual speaker and even the level of surround sound 'delay', the X41s allow no customisation what so ever.

On the bright side, the wireless nature of them means they're so much easier, hated all the wires with the Sharkoons. This brings its own problems though. I'm not blaming all of the hissing on the wireless technology because, well, the wired Sharkoons suffered from this too, but with the X41s the hissing is audible pretty much throughout when there is no volume. I don't particularly mind when browsing the dashboard but it's hella distracting during loading screens or brief moments of silence with games or music.
  • Tricky 10 Feb 2011 12:45:36 4,485 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    Just ordered me a pair of Tritton ax720s. Done tons of researching and such, for my 100ish price range they seem like the best bet. Quite wanted some Astro A40s but for 200 I'd rather wait till there's a solid wireless solution. Anyone have ax720s? What's the verdict?

They're fantastic, but then I would say that because we make them :-)
  • Psychotext 10 Feb 2011 13:22:39 55,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sooo... assuming I don't care about being able to talk on the 360 / PS3, and don't care if the headphones are wired or not. I do want them to work on both the 360 and PS3, and I don't currently have a receiver...

...what's the best I can get? Or will I need to finally splash out on an Onkyo or something to open up my options a bit?

I basically just want the highest quality surround sound headphones available at say... less than 300. I've given up on using speakers, it's just not going to happen because of a really awkward room layout.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2011 13:30:17
    Tritton AXPROs, they're amazing!

Astro A40s are meant to be quite good as well.
  • mikew1985 10 Feb 2011 13:41:50 13,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The AXPros will also allow you to connect a set of PC 5.1 speakers and will output DD to them. So even if you didn't have any kind of AV decoder/receiver before you have a passable single input DD one with the Trittons.
  • Psychotext 10 Feb 2011 14:08:20 55,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That still means I'd have to manually swap the output from the PS3 / 360 to it though right?

Edit - I've noticed the cables connect to a breakout box. Maybe I could get a second set so I didn't have to fuck around at the back of the consoles.
  • mikew1985 10 Feb 2011 16:01:52 13,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, you can just have a cable running from each console and then swap the cable connected to the box depending on which console you're using.
  • Deleted user 8 April 2011 14:25:05
    Been through the whole thread and now my head hurts... :)

I see that many are recommending the tritton AX pro's BUT, the whole setup looks nightmare-ish to be honest...

Now, i do have a Sony 7.1 amp (STRDA-2400ES), i take it that if i connect a pair of stereo headphones through it the results are going to be better than if i simply connect my headphones to my telly, is that correct gentlemen ?
    If yes, may i ask why ? I mean, is it due to the better sound processing of the amp ? Still, the audio is still going to come out through a stereo headset so i really don't quite understand what the quality difference is going to be.

These ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD555-Open-Headphone/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302268628&sr=1-2 seem to get recommended a lot , anyone had any experience with them ?

I'm open to any suggestions gents - especially since i also have the 7.1 amp, i'd like to know what the best option(s) would be in my case.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)
  • Deleted user 8 April 2011 14:28:52
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Be aware that open headphones will drive anyone else in the room batshit mental.
    Unless you're on your own all the time get closed ones.

Thanks Eco for the heads up - that won't be a problem though , i just don't want to annoy the neighbors when i game late at night mate :)
  • BeebleB 8 Apr 2011 14:29:51 985 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    correct me if i'm wrong but a set of stereo headphones is likely to only have a left and a right set of speakers so even though the amp will doubtlessly improve the quality of the sound going through it, it won't deliever surround sound.

I've got a pair of axpro's and each cup has 4 speakers in, so it can output the 5.1 signal correctly. that said the right cup is now held on with blutac :(

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Scurrminator 8 Apr 2011 14:30:32 8,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The better the headphones the better the sound.
    The amp won't have much to do with it apart from being able to alter different things.
    But it will still be in stereo.
    Turtle beach X41s are great for gaming, 5.1 sound and wireless. Very simple setup.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Psychotext 8 Apr 2011 14:33:54 55,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Someone bought me a Earforce DSS for my birthday which I'm going to pair up with my HD595s... but I've not had a chance to try it yet. :(
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2011 14:35:08 4,485 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Correction - if the amp has Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Headphone then it can produce a virtualised surround effect through stereo headphones. It's exactly what products like the Tritton AX720 or Turtle Beach X41 do.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2011 14:35:40 15,433 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:

Turtle beach X41s are great for gaming, 5.1 sound and wireless. Very simple setup.

And only 80 at amazon. I got a pair earlier this week. Only played Dead Space 2 on them so far, but the sound is nice and clear, you do need the "bass" turned on though. I also have played music from the 360 HD, again lovley sound, not as much distance before interference as I would have hoped.
    I have yet to talk over LIVE with them, due to playing several games with non English speaking dudes last night.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 8 April 2011 14:36:05
    Beeble, i know that of course, the reason i'm asking is because i've been reading that many people pair their stereo hedphones with converter-surround sound boxes (like the astro mix amp for example), so, taking into account that i have a 7.1 amp, maybe i won't be needing any extra thingamajigs to have "pseudo surround"...

Fuck if i know though, haven't got the slightest clue when it comes to audio...
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2011 14:44:11 4,485 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /talks to himself... :-)
  • Deleted user 8 April 2011 14:45:00
    Tricky wrote:
    Correction - if the amp has Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Headphone then it can produce a virtualised surround effect through stereo headphones. It's exactly what products like the Tritton AX720 or Turtle Beach X41 do.

So Tricky, since my Amp does have/support Dolby headphone, i take it that i won't be needing anything like the Earforce DSS "adapter" or the turtle beach X41 headphones to have "surround sound" and instead being able to use just plain old Stereo headphones, correct ?

Basically: Amp. with dolby headphone/PL + Stereo headphones set = surround sound = the exact same thing as the Tritton's/Turtle beach etc as long as surround sound effect goes ?
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2011 14:47:42 4,485 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just checking the spec of your amp and I find this (bit in bold):

# Product Description Sony STR DA2400ES - AV receiver - 7.1 channel
    # Product Type AV receiver
    # Enclosure Colour Black
    # Dimensions (WxDxH) 43 cm x 38 cm x 15.8 cm
    # Weight 12.2 kg
    # Sound Output Mode Surround Sound
    # Built-in Decoders Dolby Pro Logic, DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS decoder, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, Dolby Digital EX
    # HDMI Switching Yes
    # Video Conversion/Scaling HDMI to HDMI scaling
    # Surround Sound Effects Headphone Surround (V.S.S.), Neural Surround
    # Surround System Class 7.1 channel
    # Response Bandwidth 10 - 100000 Hz
    # Output Power 700 Watt
    # Radio System Radio tuner - AM/FM - 60 preset stations
    # Remote Control Universal remote control - infrared
    # Power AC 120 V ( 60 Hz )

The Tritton AX Pros still have the advantage because they're not virtualised surround - there's a driver for each channel in each can - but yes, it appears that you can just enable a virtualised surround effect if you plug a stereo headset into your amp.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2011 14:52:32 15,433 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I got a pair of the X41's for chrimbo and they are good, but as someone else said I was maybe expecting to feel the surround sound a little more. There isn't a massive difference really between the X41's and the turtle beach wired stereo pair. I'd actually the sound has alot more bass on the standard stereo pair if you prefer that, you also don't have the noticeable hiss from the wireless pair.

That said I'm more than happy with my X41's the design is far more comfortable that the older models, that seem to let your ears breathe more, the sound quality overall is great and it really makes a big difference just having no wires.

This review is spot on, my thoughts on them:

At only 80 at amazon. I got a pair earlier this week. Only played Dead Space 2 on them so far, but the sound is nice and clear, you do need the "bass" turned on though. I also have played music from the 360 HD, again lovley sound, not as much distance before interference as I would have hoped.

I have yet to talk over LIVE with them, due to playing several games with non English speaking dudes last night.
    ...I maybe was expecting more "5.1" as it were, but for 80 and the fact that playing games with headphones adds so much I'm more than happy with them.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 8 April 2011 15:00:18
    Tricky wrote:
    Just checking the spec of your amp and I find this (bit in bold):

# Product Description Sony STR DA2400ES - AV receiver - 7.1 channel
    # Product Type AV receiver
    # Enclosure Colour Black
    # Dimensions (WxDxH) 43 cm x 38 cm x 15.8 cm
    # Weight 12.2 kg
    # Sound Output Mode Surround Sound
    # Built-in Decoders Dolby Pro Logic, DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS decoder, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, Dolby Digital EX
    # HDMI Switching Yes
    # Video Conversion/Scaling HDMI to HDMI scaling
    # Surround Sound Effects Headphone Surround (V.S.S.), Neural Surround
    # Surround System Class 7.1 channel
    # Response Bandwidth 10 - 100000 Hz
    # Output Power 700 Watt
    # Radio System Radio tuner - AM/FM - 60 preset stations
    # Remote Control Universal remote control - infrared
    # Power AC 120 V ( 60 Hz )

The Tritton AX Pros still have the advantage because they're not virtualised surround - there's a driver for each channel in each can - but yes, it appears that you can just enable a virtualised surround effect if you plug a stereo headset into your amp.

Much, much, much appreciated my good man :)

/Tips hat

It seems that i can indeed have have faux surround through a stereo headphones set, which brings me to :
    Which do you reckon mate would be the better choice ? Getting a good stereo headphones set like the Sennheiser HD555 or a Tritton AX Pro set ? I'm talking quality-wise here obviously...
    From what i understand there's no need for the turtlebeach X41 as i can have the same surround effect by coupling a stereo headphones set with my Amp, so...

Again, thank you very much for info/help, much appreciated :)
  • Tricky 8 Apr 2011 16:21:09 4,485 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I guess it kind of depends on what you're doing - remember that if you're doing anything involving online multiplayer, where communication through a microphone is important then the best option is the AX Pro - for the 360 you connect it into the pad and for the PS3, the breakout box connects via USB to give the required USB soundcard option to configure in the XMB. Plus the surround effect is better than the virtualised option.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last