Star Wars: The Old Republic Page 60

• Page

of 61 First / Last

• Dave_McCoy 14 Aug 2012 20:00:33 2,777 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If anyone still plays this, there's an event on now for rare stuff...or something. Although there's already bitching on the forum that the rewards aren't good enough. Perhaps, just perhaps, it'll expand like the last one did over a few days.
  • SlackMaster 4 Sep 2012 12:00:26 3,134 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked this up recently and still in my first free 30 days. Been playing as a bounty hunter and on the second planet (the imperial one, forget the name).

Not having all that much fun at the moment... some of the ememies, especially the mandalorians are too difficult for me to defeat, I've not picked up any new pistols since leaving hutta and now they just aren't cutting it. I can't find anywhere to buy new equipment in the city as some of the traders either don't take credits or need you to be part of some group or guild.

I've just been griding at the moment to level up and give myself some sort of chance to do the missions where I have to enter the mandalorian camp.

Probably got about 2 weeks left before my subscription cuts in but seriously thinking of cancelling before I start getting charged as it doesn't seem worth it.
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2012 12:10:16 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ok so I am playing and really enjoying this game, but the community seems a bit stuffed shirt with little sense of humour. Is there a eurogamer guild I could possibly join as having trouble grouping up and such. I wonder if this is the problem this game is suffering from, or maybe I got really lucky with my last mmo as the guild I joined there were top class.
  • SlackMaster 4 Sep 2012 12:54:14 3,134 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Ok so I am playing and really enjoying this game, but the community seems a bit stuffed shirt with little sense of humour. Is there a eurogamer guild I could possibly join as having trouble grouping up and such. I wonder if this is the problem this game is suffering from, or maybe I got really lucky with my last mmo as the guild I joined there were top class.
    Yeah not been able to join groups online and it has made some missions and flashpoints too difficult.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Sep 2012 12:57:43 25,942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't this going F2P anyway?
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2012 13:30:16 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes December I think, it's a good game but f2p will be a bargain for those looking for a enjoyable free single player rpg but the real group stuff will need to be paid for I believe.
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2012 13:30:54 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SlackMaster what level are you and which server?
  • George-Roper 4 Sep 2012 13:41:45 704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @StarchildHypocrethes December I think, it's a good game but f2p will be a bargain for those looking for a enjoyable free single player rpg but the real group stuff will need to be paid for I believe.
    Given that all the effort, cash and expense went into the storylines, I'd be very surprised if they're (storylines) not directly linked to micro-transactions in order to progress.
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2012 14:39:29 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @George-Roper from what I have heard all classes are playable up to the current lvl 50 cap which means the story content will have to be free, and believe me that will be a steal. Guess they hoping players will stay for the group content which is a gamble if they giving so much away.
  • Ranger_Ryu 4 Sep 2012 14:44:26 1,070 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they're limiting the amount of characters you can have at one time though....
  • George-Roper 4 Sep 2012 19:01:15 704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Level cap doesn't equate to full story. There aren't caps that prevent players from progressing, beyond story chapters.

Lets wait and see but don't be surprised to see some element of this monetized. It definitely is the only aspect of SW:TOR that draws you in, therefore it fully stands to reason that EA will capitalize on it, otherwise people are going to get a full, story-driven RPG for free. Doesn't quite fit in with their plans, does it?
  • SlackMaster 6 Sep 2012 14:40:10 3,134 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ChiefGB I'm level 13 Bounty Hunter and I'm on one of the RPG servers, not which host name though of the top of my head.
  • shamblemonkee 6 Sep 2012 15:04:55 14,437 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    would think a lot of the payment options once f2p will be boosts and shortcuts ot get you to that lvl50 cap sooner and thus hopefully converted to a paying player
  • ChiefGB 6 Sep 2012 19:53:45 940 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SlackMaster ok I'm a lvl 25 sentinel on the red spire pve server, not much chance teaming there then I guess.
  • WulframH 6 Sep 2012 20:01:33 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    George-Roper wrote:
    @ChiefGB

Level cap doesn't equate to full story. There aren't caps that prevent players from progressing, beyond story chapters.

Lets wait and see but don't be surprised to see some element of this monetized. It definitely is the only aspect of SW:TOR that draws you in, therefore it fully stands to reason that EA will capitalize on it, otherwise people are going to get a full, story-driven RPG for free. Doesn't quite fit in with their plans, does it?
    The website is fairly unequivocal

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

FREE PLAYERS
    Story Content
    Players can play their full class stories from levels 1 to 50.
  • George-Roper 10 Sep 2012 14:19:09 704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @WulframH

Not fairly unequivocal at all.

Character Creation Choices
    Some character creation options, such as species, are limited to subscribers.

Are all classes available on F2P or not? If not, you don't get all the stories and you'll have to unlock or go sub in order to get them.

Still seems pretty hazy to me.
  • Dave_McCoy 10 Sep 2012 23:57:47 2,777 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @George-Roper
    All classes are available. Just not all species. I.e human, cyborg, Sith I presume.
  • worldalpha 16 Sep 2012 01:45:04 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, I just gave the F2P a try. As a big Star Wars fan, I was a little disappointed.

Currently working on WorldAlpha
    http://www.worldalpha.com

• myk 14 Nov 2012 12:03:16 555 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SWTOR goes F2P tomorrow, if you've already got previous characters I think you can keep two active per server (down to 3 EU English servers).
  • WinterSnowblind 14 Nov 2012 12:33:12 1,243 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @myk Do we know what happens if you had characters that were races that you now have to pay for?

I liked how Star Trek Online let you keep everything you had if you were previously a subscriber, but I get the feeling they're not going to be so generous with TOR.
  • SClaw 14 Nov 2012 13:05:28 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Might give it a looksee again for old time's sake.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2012 13:08:12 87,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    myk wrote:
    SWTOR goes F2P tomorrow, if you've already got previous characters I think you can keep two active per server (down to 3 EU English servers).
    Cool, been waiting for that.
  • myk 14 Nov 2012 13:15:06 555 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @WinterSnowblind Not sure, as far as I'm aware they won't be changing any characters that have been created already, not sure about what happens if you've unlocked it as a subscriber then try to create a new character.

If you've had a subscription and change it to F2P, you become a Preferred Status player and get a couple of F2P annoyances alleviated - sprinting available at lvl 1, bank slots, increased access to chat (!), being able to post more things on the GTN.

SWTOR F2P faqs

they have also seriously limited a lot of stuff for F2P players, not really sure it's the right approach but I just want to finish the other class storylines rather than bother with ops or warzones

F2P vs sub features

Edited by myk at 13:21:59 14-11-2012
  • Whizzo 14 Nov 2012 13:33:52 43,160 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It'll be dead in 6 months.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Dave_McCoy 15 Nov 2012 22:53:09 2,777 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got an e-mail that said as a 'loyal' subscriber I get 100 cartel coins. That better be a mistake or they can get tae f**k!!
  • Whizzo 15 Nov 2012 22:58:02 43,160 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got the same email, is that actually worth anything or just a token amount?

Holy shit it's approximately nothing.

Edited by Whizzo at 22:59:14 15-11-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 15 November 2012 23:25:39
    Is this worth playing for the story or should I just sit and watch it on youtube if I'm bored enough?
  • Page

of 61 First / Last