Slow Cooker Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• ProfessorLesser 6 Jan 2010 23:44:01 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone made any good risotto in a slow cooker? I would be keen.
  • ProfessorLesser 11 Jan 2010 19:12:08 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just made soup.

1 whole leak, chopped.
    200-300g charlotte potatoes, chopped.
    Half a broccoli, chopped (ALL of it, keep the stalk).
    5 heaped tspn chicken stock/soup mix
    1.5L water

Low power, 6 hours, blend, eat.

EDIT: Would still love to hear people's risotto efforts if they have them!
  • elstoof 11 Jan 2010 20:47:55 7,000 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would the rice not turn to mush after too long though? the point of Risotto as I see it is it's freshness. Plus it only takes about 20 minutes to knock one up. I would say that if you wanted something similar, go with pearl barley or pulses to give a bit of bite.
  • Pike 11 Jan 2010 20:52:43 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

As elstoof noted, it sounds like an awful idea. When making a risotto it's cruicial that you stir constantly while making it and adding stock throughout the cooking process. It requires constant attention and should be finished the very mioment the rice becomes perfectly al dente. It's not a dish suited for some form of slow cooking. It's not a stew.
  • askew 11 Jan 2010 20:53:22 12,163 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By all means make a rice pudding though! ;)
  • ronuds 11 Jan 2010 21:07:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A co-worker just told me about some ribs she made in the slow cooker. Sounded pretty good.

Anything that makes ribs gets my seal of approval. :p
  • elstoof 11 Jan 2010 21:25:04 7,000 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ribs would be good I'd imagine, equally good would be lamb shanks... Yum!
  • ProfessorLesser 11 Jan 2010 21:49:12 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

As elstoof noted, it sounds like an awful idea. When making a risotto it's cruicial that you stir constantly while making it and adding stock throughout the cooking process. It requires constant attention and should be finished the very mioment the rice becomes perfectly al dente. It's not a dish suited for some form of slow cooking. It's not a stew.
    Well it's just I've seen recipes for it around, so people do it. Just wondering if anyone had tried. I can't imagine needing to add stock constantly, as the cooker keeps the moisture in throughout. Stirring and over-soft rice sound like potential problems though. But... I've seen recipes :-/

Guess I'll just try one and see what happens!
  • elstoof 11 Jan 2010 21:52:18 7,000 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, as Heston showed in his perfect risotto, it's not that important to slowly add the stock, you can just add most of it then a bit more if it's too dry at the end. Some people might like to perform "the ritual" of making risotto though. I just can't see past the mushy rice, though I'll be interested in your results.
  • Pike 11 Jan 2010 21:53:33 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

Guess I'll just try one and see what happens!

Go ahead. It seems like a recipe for failure to make slow cook risotto, but it's not like rise and stock are prohibitly expensive, so why not try. Even if it doesn't become proper risotto it might turn out to be some form of tasty rice pudding. :)
  • BinaryBob101 12 Jan 2010 00:17:55 22,637 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Just made soup.

1 whole leak, chopped.
    1.5L water

What's the point? You could make a much nicer, tastier soup in twenty minutes on a standard hob!

Slow-cooked veg is overcooked veg.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Schmove 12 Jan 2010 00:54:11 107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been interested in making a chile in a slow cooker. Can often taste a bit bland if you don't leave it overnight before eating.

Anyone know how it fares in a slow cooker?
  • mal 12 Jan 2010 01:06:46 22,453 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I should imagine it works well. Mince slow cooks well, though you still have to brown it first. Kidney beans should work, as should tomato.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ProfessorLesser 12 Jan 2010 14:23:11 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Just made soup.

1 whole leak, chopped.
    1.5L water

What's the point? You could make a much nicer, tastier soup in twenty minutes on a standard hob!

Slow-cooked veg is overcooked veg.
    The point is that slow-cooking constantly amazes me with results, considering how little effort goes into it. Cooking it on a hob means time and effort before I actually want to eat it, which is not necessarily when I have time.

Being over-cooked isn't really an issue when you're blending, either. And it tastes pretty damn good to me, thanks!
  • JetSetWilly 14 Jan 2010 13:50:14 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First attempt at a slow-cooked meal today. Prepared a Caribbean chicken recipe that came with the cooker. T-minus 7 hours and counting!
  • neilch 14 Jan 2010 13:51:23 741 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This might be blasphemy in this thread, but what are the advantages of a slow cooker over turning the oven down really low?
  • Pike 14 Jan 2010 13:53:39 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilch wrote:
    This might be blasphemy in this thread, but what are the advantages of a slow cooker over turning the oven down really low?

Well, for the food, nothing, I'd say. But i imagine the Slow Cooker will be a lot more energy efficient.
  • neilch 14 Jan 2010 13:55:43 741 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ah, OK. Energy efficiency is goood.

• mal 14 Jan 2010 14:53:45 22,453 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think my oven goes down to the sort of temperatures slow cookers run at. They run at less than gas mark 1/4.

Regarding energy efficiency, I'd assume they're less efficient than a cooker since they spend longer on therefore lose more heat over the time they are cooking. But I worked out how much energy a slow cooker would use even if you used it every day, and it's really not a huge amount compared to e.g. leaving a computer on 24/7.

The taste of something slow cooked is different to an oven or hob since a slow cooker never goes over 100 degrees. Different chemical reactions happen at such temperatures, so the outcome tastes very different.

• Pike 14 Jan 2010 14:57:08 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I don't think my oven goes down to the sort of temperatures slow cookers run at. They run at less than gas mark 1/4.

That is true for a gas oven. An electrical oven is a different matter though. Those can go lower than slow cookers can. The main difference really must be about energy efficiency if you compare it to an electrical oven.
  • iokthemonkey 14 Jan 2010 18:13:59 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We had BBQ pork last night - a pork joint cooked in a bottle of barbeque sauce. OMNOMNOM.

Served with Mac & Cheese and oven chips. Ace.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• mal 14 Jan 2010 18:19:04 22,453 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    mal wrote:

That is true for a gas oven. An electrical oven is a different matter though. Those can go lower than slow cookers can. The main difference really must be about energy efficiency if you compare it to an electrical oven.

I'll have to check mine tonight. I don't think it has markings below 120 degrees, and I'm not sure I'd trust its thermostat to find a specific temperature below that level, but I'll admit it's probably possible, and heating the smaller area of the slow cooker would be more efficient that heating up a big oven.

• Phily50 14 Jan 2010 19:04:44 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any recommendations on a decent slow cooker/crock-pot, there seem to be hundreds available.
  • mal 14 Jan 2010 23:02:38 22,453 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're all the same in my experience. I always get the cheapest one since I'm only cooking for two. More expensive ones do more. More expensive ones are from fancier brands. But they're just porcelain pots in electric heaters - they're not rocket science.

• simplerotation 26 Jan 2010 14:25:31 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just got a really cheap 10 Hinari one, from Amazon, and I've cooked about 3 things in it, and it's worked really well so far, it's quite small which is perfect for me as I'm just cooking for me and the boy :) I found when I had a larger one that I'd have to cook huge amounts with loads of liquids or it would burn.
    I'd be interested in recipes if anyone had found any that looked good :)
  • Alastair 26 Jan 2010 14:38:52 15,603 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Just made soup.

1 whole leak, chopped.
    1.5L water

No garlic or onion....??

Not as nice as I used to be

• Shivoa 26 Jan 2010 14:52:01 5,677 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    I just got a really cheap 10 Hinari one, from Amazon, and I've cooked about 3 things in it, and it's worked really well so far, it's quite small which is perfect for me as I'm just cooking for me and the boy :) I found when I had a larger one that I'd have to cook huge amounts with loads of liquids or it would burn.

Similar for me, got a 5 or 10 Tesco unbranded jobbie late last year (3.5L pot, basic metal surround heater). Just randomly tested cooking whatever to see what works, although it seems just about anything works out ok. Cooking for one or two it makes a lot of sense to just bung some veg, broth or sauce, and meat in for a few hours and then drop in dried carb (rice, couscous, pasta etc) at the end to soak up some excess water and reduce the sauce down.
  • StringBeanJean 26 Jan 2010 15:04:08 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought a 10 Quid cheapo the other day and made a stew - was good. Only thing is I don't eat meat (eat fish though) and obvioulsy slow cooking is of best benefit to meat. Does anyone reckon Quorn would work in there? I'm thinking the 'chicken' or 'mince' - Obviously they won't infuse any flavour as they're pretty flavourless but will they disintegrate if I chuck them in the slow cooker for nine hours?
  • X201 26 Jan 2010 15:06:04 15,268 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    I bought a 10 Quid cheapo the other day and made a stew - was good. Only thing is I don't eat meat (eat fish though) and obvioulsy slow cooking is of best benefit to meat. Does anyone reckon Quorn would work in there? I'm thinking the 'chicken' or 'mince' - Obviously they won't infuse any flavour as they're pretty flavourless but will they disintegrate if I chuck them in the slow cooker for nine hours?

I've managed to dissolve lamb into a stew over 20 hours, so dissolving Quorn in nine should be a doddle.

• StringBeanJean 26 Jan 2010 15:10:15 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really want to dissolve them. I was thinking of making a curry or a chilli con qourne
  • Page

of 6 First / Last