Slow Cooker Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• DaM 18 Aug 2010 15:15:07 12,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's our KitchenWii too :(
    I've got this coming tomorrow, a rice cooker recipe book by a Singaporean lady. Sort of a fast slow cooker :)

I want to get into pressure cooker curries too.
  • Goban 18 Aug 2010 15:29:20 9,052 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pressure cookers are great for quick cooking but the taste you get at the end is usually inferior IMO.
  • smoothpete 18 Aug 2010 15:37:11 31,501 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Anyway I've got a little gammon joint in there at the moment, with some diluted apple juice, sliced onions, bay leaf and a few peppercorns. Hopefully it'll be nice.
    You can't really go wrong with gammon. It will be nicer if you glaze it with honey and mustard and bung it in the oven for 20 minutes after it's finished in the slow cooker
  • Alastair 18 Aug 2010 15:48:06 15,608 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    I stopped using it when I fell out with my housemates and had nobody to cook for :-(

Hopefully will get more use this year!

Cook up a load of stuff and then freeze most of it...

Not as nice as I used to be

• angeltreats 18 Aug 2010 15:51:48 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Pressure cookers are great for quick cooking but the taste you get at the end is usually inferior IMO.

I utterly, utterly disagree. I use mine for everything from rice pudding to soup to curry, and none of it is inferior to the stuff I make at home or at work using the oven or a normal saucepan. It's just quicker. And in fact I really prefer the rice pudding made that way because you don't get the minging skin on top. Although are you using an aluminium pressure cooker? Apparently aluminium can react with certain foods and alter the taste. At college we were always warned against making things like bechamel sauce or chutney in an aluminium pan.

Alastair - I actually have that book, I bought it from The Book People ages ago and forgot about it! Must dig it out.

Smoothpete - you ever tried cooking gammon in coca cola? It needs to be the full fat stuff. It's very, very nice. I think it was a Nigella thing.
  • smoothpete 18 Aug 2010 15:59:41 31,501 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes I've done the coca cola thing many times. I do it as a fajita dish. So in with the gammon and coke I put a couple of dried chilis, bay, garlic, thyme, cumin and coriander seeds, star anise (lovely with gammon), peppercorns and whatever else I feel like putting in there. Barely simmer for 2 hours+, glaze with a mixture of smoked paprika, cayenne and maple syrup then into a hot oven for 20 minutes. Then when you bring it to the table you shred the gammon with two forks. Serve with some very slow cooked caramelised red onions, and a spicy salsa. Cheese, jalepenos, soured cream etc if you feel like it. It's a proper crowd pleaser.
  • Goban 18 Aug 2010 16:07:59 9,052 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Goban wrote:

I utterly, utterly disagree. I use mine for everything from rice pudding to soup to curry, and none of it is inferior to the stuff I make at home or at work using the oven or a normal saucepan. It's just quicker. And in fact I really prefer the rice pudding made that way because you don't get the minging skin on top. Although are you using an aluminium pressure cooker?

No, stainless steel.

The food never has the depth of flavour that conventional cooking normally gives and you quite often have to add some thickening agent.

Depend what you cook I suppose, each to their own.

• angeltreats 18 Aug 2010 16:22:06 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Yes I've done the coca cola thing many times. I do it as a fajita dish. So in with the gammon and coke I put a couple of dried chilis, bay, garlic, thyme, cumin and coriander seeds, star anise (lovely with gammon), peppercorns and whatever else I feel like putting in there. Barely simmer for 2 hours+, glaze with a mixture of smoked paprika, cayenne and maple syrup then into a hot oven for 20 minutes. Then when you bring it to the table you shred the gammon with two forks. Serve with some very slow cooked caramelised red onions, and a spicy salsa. Cheese, jalepenos, soured cream etc if you feel like it. It's a proper crowd pleaser.

That sounds absolutely lovely, I want to come to yours for dinner :)

Funny I never thought of using gammon to fill fajitas, it's always beef or chicken.
  • Load_2.0 18 Aug 2010 16:35:10 19,156 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a slow cooker and it was shit.

Though I am a fairly average cook so there may be a small part of the prep to blame.
  • Alastair 18 Aug 2010 16:45:13 15,608 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Alastair - I actually have that book, I bought it from The Book People ages ago and forgot about it! Must dig it out.

Cool. The butter chicken is my favourite out of the three I mentioned. I make it without chilli so the little chap can eat it too. He loves it!

Not as nice as I used to be

• Hog-lumps 18 Aug 2010 17:01:19 946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Reduction is your friend! No need for any thickening agent in a good chilli. :)
    Slow cookers don't reduce, by definition!

Oh, I see you just said that. Well... then... ner! :-)

Mine does reduce a bit if it's on high, I doubt that's desirable! But by reducing the amount of liquid and using seasoned flour on the beef it thickened nicely, obviously the beef breaking down added to the thickness as well.

I've found a good way to reduce the sauce is to take the meat out with a slotted spoon and then heat the remaining sauce on high with the lid off till it has thickened - then re-combine the meat and sauce.
  • angeltreats 18 Aug 2010 17:59:40 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or just pour off the sauce into a separate saucepan and simmer it on the cooker for a few minutes to reduce it.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • malloc 2 Apr 2013 15:16:14 2,330 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone got a slow cooker recently? I'm tempted to get one, with a recipe book. Any recommendations? In a total n00b at cooking...
  • Benno 2 Apr 2013 15:59:03 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can just shove a big shoulder of pork in there, cover with coke and then cook on low for about 10-12 hours. Serve it in buns for the rest of the week!
  • elstoof 2 Apr 2013 16:04:16 7,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can also, I dunno, get an oven dish and put the your food in that while it sits in the oven on a low temperature. Sounds kind of wacky but give it a shot.
  • Shikasama 2 Apr 2013 16:16:32 6,759 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You can also, I dunno, get an oven dish and put the your food in that while it sits in the oven on a low temperature. Sounds kind of wacky but give it a shot.
    Holy fuck do not that in a gas oven
  • Benno 2 Apr 2013 16:23:34 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    But a lot of people, myself included, wouldn't want to leave an oven on all day when out of the house.

Also a slow cooker doesn't use anywhere near as much power.
  • EMarkM 2 Apr 2013 16:49:37 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Correct: no way I'd leave the oven on like I do "Ole Slowly".
  • elstoof 2 Apr 2013 17:01:26 7,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Considering you can render a large cut of tough meat, like a shoulder, so meltingly tender that you can carve it with a spoon in under 3 hours - an all day cremation is a bit overkill in all honesty.
  • EMarkM 2 Apr 2013 17:09:45 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    3 - 4 hours is usually about right. Beef brisket...mmm...
  • Trane 3 Apr 2013 10:41:18 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Considering you can render a large cut of tough meat, like a shoulder, so meltingly tender that you can carve it with a spoon in under 3 hours - an all day cremation is a bit overkill in all honesty.
    But then, when would you cook it?

Before work? Not enough time.
    After work? Not unless you like eating dinner at 9pm.

It's so easy to whack a slow cooker on before leaving for work, and it's done perfectly for when you arrive home. It's not a case of the meat being nuked beyond recognition either, it's akin to being slow cooked in the oven.
  • Tonka 3 Apr 2013 10:49:54 20,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akin to? There's no difference at all is it?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Benno 3 Apr 2013 10:50:00 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hes just doing that trolling thing... :)

All this talk of slow cooking is making me hungry, whens lunch?
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 10:52:13
    He's right though, if you have an electric oven you might as well just use a pot in there on low.
  • THFourteen 3 Apr 2013 10:52:48 33,242 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i like the idea of a slow cooker but there is no way i'd even want to leave anything like that on whilst i'm not in the house.

but then strangely i leave my PC on all day.

hmmmm
  • Trane 3 Apr 2013 10:53:15 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Akin to? There's no difference at all is it?
    Semantics really, to my mind - akin to = very similar. I couldn't swear to them being identical because I haven't tested many recipes using both methods.
  • elstoof 3 Apr 2013 11:07:19 7,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's literally thousands of things that can be prepared in under 30 minutes, it's not as though slow cooked meat is the only thing worth eating after work.
  • Tonka 3 Apr 2013 11:14:20 20,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I made some slow cooked entrecôte last weekend. It was a smallish piece so it only took about 90minutes.

My god it was glorious!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Trane 3 Apr 2013 11:14:41 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who ever said anything about it being 'the only thing'?

My diet is highly varied, more than most I would wager. I use the slow cooker roughly once a week, for a curry/stew/casserole or just for some pulled pork/braised beef. It's damn good and a more convenient method than any other I'm aware of.

This is such a silly debate, really.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last