Open Office/Mac - compatible?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Angel_Treats 16 Oct 2008 13:32:30 11,072 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm after a netbook and wondering about getting a Linux one. I normally use a Mac. Can anyone tell me if there is any issue with sharing word documents between a Mac and whatever the Open Office equivalent is? That's really badly phrased, I know, but hopefully you know what I mean :D

Also can I use the same USB key on both a Mac and something running Linux?
  • pjmaybe 16 Oct 2008 13:34:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mac Office 2004 does create docx files so it's best to always ensure that if you're porting between the two, whoever's creating the docs on the mac makes sure they're saved as the older word format (97-2003 I think).

Other than that, some special formatting instructions will inevitably get lost on open office. It does a reasonably good job with standard docs but any fancy fonts or formatting are iffy territory.
  • Angel_Treats 16 Oct 2008 13:37:05 11,072 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I must be using an older version of Mac Office then, as I get .doc files.

I'm talking about uni assignments though, nothing more elaborate than changing the font and double spacing ;-)
  • captain_cupcake 16 Oct 2008 13:37:18 334 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A native OSX version of Open Office has just been released; might help (might not ;))
  • pjmaybe 16 Oct 2008 13:39:21 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I must be using an older version of Mac Office then, as I get .doc files.

I'm talking about uni assignments though, nothing more elaborate than changing the font and double spacing ;-)

Sorry, typo in my post - I meant Office 2008 for mac, which is the version I'm running here. Docs saved as older word version docs are fine though, in fact just for shits and giggles I created a table and some random crap on the mac version, saved it as a .doc and ported it into open office on one of our linux VMs here, and it's fine and dandy.

• FWB 16 Oct 2008 13:40:07 42,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Use NeoOffice. Free, OSX version and works with everything.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2008 13:40:57 56,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 1

Previous Next