Star Trek Page 156

• Page

of 156 First / Last

Next
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:30:49 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He should have been airlock'd after the first five minutes. Easily in my worst 10 characters list. Which I'm going to make up on the spot right now

1 Neelix
    2 Harry Kim
    3 That boring cunt helmsman from Enterprise
    4 Belana Toress
    5 Spock from the remake
    6 Scotty from the remake
    7 Chakotay
    8 Shut up Wesley
    9 Not Khan from the remake
    10 All of the bad guys from the last 4-5 films since First Contact
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:32:00 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Special mention for Michael Boreham from the new show. They really need to put a rocket up her characters arse soon or switch the main character to Lorca.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:46:25 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

I generally agree with that list, and about Michael Burnham. I'm still torn about Chakotay though. He seemed to be a decent commander early on, but they soon did nothing with him except for some superficial pseudo-spiritual Amerindian crap. I'm going through my first thorough Voyager watch, and in season 3 already you hardly notice he's there. A non-entity similar to Harry Kim.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:48:16 07-12-2017
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:54:55 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Like all the maquis crew, he just bends over for Starfleet at the end of the pilot and that's about the limit of any interest you have in him.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 20:23:56 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was Kim even the most handsome man on Voyager?
  • nickthegun 7 Dec 2017 20:35:23 72,030 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The most interesting thing chakotay did in 7 whole series was nail seven of nine.

I can remember literally one thing about him and that was he had some kind of boxing episode. Even Harry ‘Fucking’ Kim played the clarinet, had some kind of existential clone crisis and got space aids
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2017 20:38:15 6,467 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the mindfuck one where he's in some war on an alien planet.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 20:49:28 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got 20 episodes of DS9 left before diving into Voyager. I dont remember it having the warmth of the other 90s shows
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 20:52:48 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I've got 20 episodes of DS9 left before diving into Voyager. I dont remember it having the warmth of the other 90s shows
    If my halfway watchthrough is anything to go by, Voyager is... ok. Not really bad, but not really good either. A far cry from TNG and DS9.
  • richarddavies 7 Dec 2017 21:40:48 6,042 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Tarantino is in talks with Paramount to direct the next film, apparently. Pitched an idea to JJ and they're getting writers to flesh it out.

I'd be up for seeing him do a film. Would be more interesting than the last couple and he does properly love the franchise.
    Only just read about this. Apparently paramount are really keen on the idea and have already hired other writers to work through Tarantino's pitch. If it works out it will be the first R rated star trek!
  • Zerobob 7 Dec 2017 21:55:17 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My least favourite Star Trek character ever is Keiko O'Brien by quite a long way. Every scene of every episode she's in is a drag.
  • gammonbanter 7 Dec 2017 22:04:30 1,639 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7 - although the scene where he bollock'd Worf for being rude maybe showed how his command sub routine was optimised.

Riker is a cool guy and I'm glad he exists but if you asked me what type of character he was I'd say, what, er, beer belly!

Even Worf, by the end of two different shows was still the angry klingon.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 22:18:38 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think the very soft very slow character development is one of the appeals of 90s Trek for me. Can drop in at almost any point in any order and it'll still be the same warm familiar cast of characters reacting the latest nonsense in front of them in just the manner I expect
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 22:25:35 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7
    What? I recently rewatched the first 9 episodes of TNG to compare that with Discovery. It was mostly bad, but what stood out was Data. At times when even Patrick Stewart still seemed hapless and insecure, Brent Spiner shined. Data is the only character that worked in TNG from the very beginning, and he's one of the finest characters in Trek history.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 22:36:42 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Angry Picard of those first few episodes is really odd when you know the wise kind leader he became. Plus not helped by those episodes being trash.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 22:45:37 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest, Picard is just an idiot cluelessly reacting to random shit in most of the early episodes. He did say "merde" though, the closest Star Trek ever got to swearing before Discovery's audacious drop of the f-bomb.
  • gammonbanter 8 Dec 2017 17:02:46 1,639 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7
    What? I recently rewatched the first 9 episodes of TNG to compare that with Discovery. It was mostly bad, but what stood out was Data. At times when even Patrick Stewart still seemed hapless and insecure, Brent Spiner shined. Data is the only character that worked in TNG from the very beginning, and he's one of the finest characters in Trek history.
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really - none of them do due to syndication and the fact that small TV stations apparently can't be trusted to show episodes in order!

It's not a problem for me, but you can be sure that the characters in Discovery will end up being more well rounded developed characters.
  • DanB24 8 Dec 2017 20:08:45 5,476 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really - none of them do due to syndication and the fact that small TV stations apparently can't be trusted to show episodes in order!

It's not a problem for me, but you can be sure that the characters in Discovery will end up being more well rounded developed characters.
    Cadet Tilly's quite well rounded already. ;)
  • DrStrangelove 8 Dec 2017 21:57:27 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really
    Ok I think I understand now what you mean. Fair enough, Data didn't develop a lot over the course of the series.

I'm very sceptical about that, but we'll see.
  • HoriZon 9 Dec 2017 09:01:22 14,093 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago

Would.....
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Dec 2017 09:24:33 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hope the rest of the bridge crew get personalities next season, feels like Discovery has the smallest central cast since TOS
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Dec 2017 10:14:57 6,925 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    To be honest, Picard is just an idiot cluelessly reacting to random shit in most of the early episodes. He did say "merde" though, the closest Star Trek ever got to swearing before Discovery's audacious drop of the f-bomb.
    Don't forget Generations - that's one of the best lines in the entirety of Trek!

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 10:15:05 09-12-2017
  • DrStrangelove 9 Dec 2017 11:08:29 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

Right, I forgot.
  • DanB24 9 Dec 2017 14:03:44 5,476 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

:D
  • Page

of 156 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.