Star Trek Page 156

  • Page

    of 174 First / Last

  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:30:49 2,633 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He should have been airlock'd after the first five minutes. Easily in my worst 10 characters list. Which I'm going to make up on the spot right now

    1 Neelix
    2 Harry Kim
    3 That boring cunt helmsman from Enterprise
    4 Belana Toress
    5 Spock from the remake
    6 Scotty from the remake
    7 Chakotay
    8 Shut up Wesley
    9 Not Khan from the remake
    10 All of the bad guys from the last 4-5 films since First Contact
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:32:00 2,633 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Special mention for Michael Boreham from the new show. They really need to put a rocket up her characters arse soon or switch the main character to Lorca.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:46:25 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

    I generally agree with that list, and about Michael Burnham. I'm still torn about Chakotay though. He seemed to be a decent commander early on, but they soon did nothing with him except for some superficial pseudo-spiritual Amerindian crap. I'm going through my first thorough Voyager watch, and in season 3 already you hardly notice he's there. A non-entity similar to Harry Kim.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:48:16 07-12-2017
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 19:54:55 2,633 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Like all the maquis crew, he just bends over for Starfleet at the end of the pilot and that's about the limit of any interest you have in him.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 20:23:56 5,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was Kim even the most handsome man on Voyager?
  • nickthegun 7 Dec 2017 20:35:23 72,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The most interesting thing chakotay did in 7 whole series was nail seven of nine.

    I can remember literally one thing about him and that was he had some kind of boxing episode. Even Harry ‘Fucking’ Kim played the clarinet, had some kind of existential clone crisis and got space aids
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2017 20:38:15 6,864 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the mindfuck one where he's in some war on an alien planet.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 20:49:28 5,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got 20 episodes of DS9 left before diving into Voyager. I dont remember it having the warmth of the other 90s shows
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 20:52:48 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I've got 20 episodes of DS9 left before diving into Voyager. I dont remember it having the warmth of the other 90s shows
    If my halfway watchthrough is anything to go by, Voyager is... ok. Not really bad, but not really good either. A far cry from TNG and DS9.
  • richarddavies 7 Dec 2017 21:40:48 6,109 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Tarantino is in talks with Paramount to direct the next film, apparently. Pitched an idea to JJ and they're getting writers to flesh it out.

    I'd be up for seeing him do a film. Would be more interesting than the last couple and he does properly love the franchise.
    Only just read about this. Apparently paramount are really keen on the idea and have already hired other writers to work through Tarantino's pitch. If it works out it will be the first R rated star trek!
  • Zerobob 7 Dec 2017 21:55:17 2,036 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My least favourite Star Trek character ever is Keiko O'Brien by quite a long way. Every scene of every episode she's in is a drag.
  • gammonbanter 7 Dec 2017 22:04:30 1,651 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7 - although the scene where he bollock'd Worf for being rude maybe showed how his command sub routine was optimised.

    Riker is a cool guy and I'm glad he exists but if you asked me what type of character he was I'd say, what, er, beer belly!

    Even Worf, by the end of two different shows was still the angry klingon.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 22:18:38 5,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think the very soft very slow character development is one of the appeals of 90s Trek for me. Can drop in at almost any point in any order and it'll still be the same warm familiar cast of characters reacting the latest nonsense in front of them in just the manner I expect
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 22:25:35 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7
    What? I recently rewatched the first 9 episodes of TNG to compare that with Discovery. It was mostly bad, but what stood out was Data. At times when even Patrick Stewart still seemed hapless and insecure, Brent Spiner shined. Data is the only character that worked in TNG from the very beginning, and he's one of the finest characters in Trek history.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 22:36:42 5,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Angry Picard of those first few episodes is really odd when you know the wise kind leader he became. Plus not helped by those episodes being trash.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 22:45:37 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, Picard is just an idiot cluelessly reacting to random shit in most of the early episodes. He did say "merde" though, the closest Star Trek ever got to swearing before Discovery's audacious drop of the f-bomb.
  • gammonbanter 8 Dec 2017 17:02:46 1,651 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7
    What? I recently rewatched the first 9 episodes of TNG to compare that with Discovery. It was mostly bad, but what stood out was Data. At times when even Patrick Stewart still seemed hapless and insecure, Brent Spiner shined. Data is the only character that worked in TNG from the very beginning, and he's one of the finest characters in Trek history.
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really - none of them do due to syndication and the fact that small TV stations apparently can't be trusted to show episodes in order!

    It's not a problem for me, but you can be sure that the characters in Discovery will end up being more well rounded developed characters.
  • DanB24 8 Dec 2017 20:08:45 5,615 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    least favourite character aye!? Well before the latest ep no characters had any real development - Data (one of our favourites I'm sure) was still an android who didn't quite get humanity by the end of season 7
    What? I recently rewatched the first 9 episodes of TNG to compare that with Discovery. It was mostly bad, but what stood out was Data. At times when even Patrick Stewart still seemed hapless and insecure, Brent Spiner shined. Data is the only character that worked in TNG from the very beginning, and he's one of the finest characters in Trek history.
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really - none of them do due to syndication and the fact that small TV stations apparently can't be trusted to show episodes in order!

    It's not a problem for me, but you can be sure that the characters in Discovery will end up being more well rounded developed characters.
    Cadet Tilly's quite well rounded already. ;)
  • DrStrangelove 8 Dec 2017 21:57:27 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Sorry not to make myself clear, I love Data, but despite all the amazimg episodes he's in he doesn't develop really
    Ok I think I understand now what you mean. Fair enough, Data didn't develop a lot over the course of the series.

    It's not a problem for me, but you can be sure that the characters in Discovery will end up being more well rounded developed characters.
    I'm very sceptical about that, but we'll see.
  • HoriZon 9 Dec 2017 09:01:22 14,113 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago


    Would.....
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Dec 2017 09:24:33 5,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hope the rest of the bridge crew get personalities next season, feels like Discovery has the smallest central cast since TOS
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Dec 2017 10:14:57 7,229 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    To be honest, Picard is just an idiot cluelessly reacting to random shit in most of the early episodes. He did say "merde" though, the closest Star Trek ever got to swearing before Discovery's audacious drop of the f-bomb.
    Don't forget Generations - that's one of the best lines in the entirety of Trek!

    Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 10:15:05 09-12-2017
  • DrStrangelove 9 Dec 2017 11:08:29 11,960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

    Right, I forgot.
  • DanB24 9 Dec 2017 14:03:44 5,615 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

    :D
  • gammonbanter 17 Dec 2017 21:46:57 1,651 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New upload from Junkball Media

    https://youtu.be/jfTqD1R5zMY

    One of, if not, the best Star Trek YouTubers, if you haven't done so already check out his back catalogue - you won't be disappointed!

    Edited by gammonbanter at 21:47:28 17-12-2017
  • Dirtbox 17 Dec 2017 22:20:01 89,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wrong, RLM is the best by a long fucking way. Okay, maybe not solidly Trek, but they have more than most.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 22:30:55 17-12-2017
  • gammonbanter 17 Dec 2017 22:59:49 1,651 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Wrong, RLM is the best by a long fucking way. Okay, maybe not solidly Trek, but they have more than most.
    I know Mike and Rich are massive fans, and the TNG movie review were incredible, they also did that Discovery re:view but apart from that they're not a star trek channel per say, which Trek Noble and Junk Ball Media are certainly more trek centred.

    In fact, good topic, any good trek based channels out there on YouTube we all need to be watching? RLM's Mr Plinket Reviews are a must watch and so is Junk Ball Media in my opinion!
  • Dirtbox 18 Dec 2017 07:04:55 89,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Junkball's fascination with rocks tumbling around during explosions on the bridge makes me laugh.

    There are LOADS of Trekkies channels, a little hit and miss, but here are a few.

    Trek on the Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeQFurBl21n2ZYkCgv_Qg2Q
    Tex Trek https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs-RavLwJqzV36CZMc1oYRQ
    Trekkerprise https://www.youtube.com/user/trekkerprise
    Starfleet Boy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFXHL8qgipqGazj9WMn8Elg
    Irish Trekkie https://www.youtube.com/user/IrishTrekkie
    Trekyards https://www.youtube.com/user/knightstalker666

    Edited by Dirtbox at 07:08:04 18-12-2017
  • gammonbanter 18 Dec 2017 07:27:41 1,651 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dirtbox right, that's my late Christmas evenings sorted when everyone has gone to bed!
  • Jyzzy-Z 22 Dec 2017 10:00:14 2,633 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This seems more and more like a real thing:

    http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-mark-l-smith-jj-abrams-the-revenant-paramount-pictures-1202231379/

    Star Trek, Directed by Quentin Tarrantino. Mental.
  • Page

    of 174 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.