Star Trek Page 155

• Page

of 156 First / Last

• Jyzzy-Z 27 Nov 2017 12:54:57 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I watched the rest of Discovery last night as I had nowt to watch. Warmed to it a bit more. Some proper duff episodes like the Sarek one (about 5 minutes into it when they said they were going to do a magic mind meld in his memories or something I knew it was going to be a load of shit and started reading stuff on my phone).

The magic space antenna one where the first officer loses his marbles was also pretty plop IMO, though his character is good and I look forward to seeing more of him.

The Harry Mudd time travel one was pretty good, though I didn't understand why he wasn't arrested at the end of it. Surely he now knows exactly how the spore drive works now, it didn't make any sense they let him go free on a verbal promise from his missus (who he had already done a runner from).

The last episode was very good, however I have no idea how putting beacons on the ship then doing 150 jumps and having magic antenna planet aliens helped them beat the cloak, maybe I wasn't paying attention. Also, if the federation has the tech to beat cloaking devices it goes against canon a bit. I'm sure that will be explained in due course though and I couldn't really give a toss either way.

I think I'm one of the only ones who really likes the Klingons. They're much better than the boring minge heads from TNG era trek.

Will be interesting to see where/when they have ended up. Lorca is the best character for me. I kinda wish the show was about him more than Michael, who is a dull as fuck JJ Abrams Kirk facsimile.
  • Jyzzy-Z 27 Nov 2017 13:03:08 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One other point, the F bomb swearing was completely unnecessary, out of context and an absolutely cringe worthy attempt to 'adult up' a show that doesn't need it. It completely took me out of the scene and doesn't fit with the show at all. It would be fair enough if they were doing it all the time and was consistent with the characters, but it was blatantly dropped in there so people would foam at the mouth and they'd get publicity for that episode that week.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 13:07:38 27-11-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Nov 2017 13:03:20 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It'd be interesting to see if you could do a series that isn't Federation centred set in the Trek universe without it turning into something generic and characterless.

Given what he gets up to in TOS we know Mudd will never be reformed. Could they Better Call Saul him?
  • DrStrangelove 27 Nov 2017 14:33:14 11,299 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    One other point, the F bomb swearing was completely unnecessary, out of context and an absolutely cringe worthy attempt to 'adult up' a show that doesn't need it. It completely took me out of the scene and doesn't fit with the show at all. It would be fair enough if they were doing it all the time and was consistent with the characters, but it was blatantly dropped in there so people would foam at the mouth and they'd get publicity for that episode that week.
    I don't see a general problem with swearing in Trek, in fact there have always been characters that wouldn't seem out of place swearing (Scotty, O'Brien, B'elanna...). I could also easily see an angry Michael Burnham dropping the F-bomb. But how it was handled here, and how forced it was, that was just embarrassing.
  • Jyzzy-Z 27 Nov 2017 14:36:39 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't have a problem with them swearing in Trek either. In fact, an 18+ version of Star Trek would be pretty interesting. It just didn't fit Discovery at all.
  • Sharz 27 Nov 2017 14:58:02 1,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

Re beating cloaking.

The federation have plenty of methods to beat the klingon and romulan cloaking tech, for one reason or another they always have to find another way. For example Undiscovered country and heat seeking torpedos.

So I don't see how them using another idea is a problem for Canon. Maybe in between Discovery and TOS the klingons change their technology to adapt to the federation cloak data.

Edited by Sharz at 16:00:03 27-11-2017
  • ControlledChaos 27 Nov 2017 15:33:06 368 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the klingons stole their cloak tech from the Romulans or were at least involved in some sort of strategic alliance that involved the sharing of technology, hence the similar ships in TOS
  • Jyzzy-Z 27 Nov 2017 16:59:09 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another small gripe, but they seriously need some better writers if 'Go' is the best they can come up with for a command to start the spore drive. We've had the iconic 'Engage' from TNG, 'jump' from BSG, 'Punch it' from Star Wars and Star Wars (Star Trek 2009), 'Warp Speed Mr Sulu/Scott' from TOS and now...

Go. Well, go on then. Go.

#Parp noise#

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 17:00:41 27-11-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Dec 2017 20:40:39 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Where do you guys stand on Ezri Dax?
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2017 20:47:07 72,030 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    She sucked out loud. Should have made it a dude so worf really had some feelings to wrestle with.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:47:22 04-12-2017
  • thelzdking 4 Dec 2017 21:15:58 6,467 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fancied her. And I liked the episode with her tracking down the serial killer.
  • Razz 4 Dec 2017 22:32:35 63,325 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I liked her, cute as button back in the day. Though I was and still am a Kira man, dat azz.
  • Dirtbox 4 Dec 2017 22:33:41 89,372 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    She was better in Kids in the Hall.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Dec 2017 00:16:02 11,299 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was looking forward to seeing more of her, I think I liked her more than Jadzia so far, but it was just far too late in the series to properly establish a new character.
  • Jyzzy-Z 5 Dec 2017 00:36:59 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been rewatching some DS9. It's great. Does the long story well and has great standalones. All the cast are interesting. There's a few shitters like quark done a murder and Dax falls in love with creepy bastard from vanishing planet. But it shits on anything they've done since on TV.

Garak might be my favourite star trek character ever. You can tell the writers had a laugh with some of his lines.
  • Jyzzy-Z 5 Dec 2017 00:40:54 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also watched a lot of enterprise. It's a shade better than I remember but the cast are just so bland. They've an embarrassment of riches with characters in DS9 and there's barely 1 to give a shit about in ENT. You just can't write anything exciting when they're all so fucking boring.

It's half decent though. That final episode, wow. I forgot how much of a fuck you that was to the cast and fans. Shows how disconnected they producers had become from the audience.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 00:43:55 05-12-2017
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Dec 2017 06:32:00 32,055 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tarantino is in talks with Paramount to direct the next film, apparently. Pitched an idea to JJ and they're getting writers to flesh it out.

I'd be up for seeing him do a film. Would be more interesting than the last couple and he does properly love the franchise.
  • thelzdking 5 Dec 2017 08:11:04 6,467 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So we'll get to see some alien feet then?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Dec 2017 23:46:25 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would Tarantino doing Trek not just be like how Orville is MacFarlane doing Trek? Like totally his own thing in the clothes of Trek not really Trek as Trek is*

*of course I already think the current movie series is this for Abhrams
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Dec 2017 23:50:51 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I was looking forward to seeing more of her, I think I liked her more than Jadzia so far, but it was just far too late in the series to properly establish a new character.
    I'm only up to the third episode of the final season so she's still super new, I'd forgotten how well she has moments of capturing Jadzia's tone and mannerisms for single instances alongside her own nervous energy. Much more recognisably a continuation of the same character than I'd remembered. Although at the time I was probably a teenage nerd who was too busy fancying her to spot as many neat little character touches and subtle developments in the long term story arc as I've seen on this rewatch.
  • Jyzzy-Z 6 Dec 2017 15:46:13 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    QT star trek would be very interesting. Even if it were a disaster I would love to see his take on it.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 15:46:22 06-12-2017
  • DrStrangelove 6 Dec 2017 19:16:39 11,299 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well if he actually likes Star Trek, that'd be an interesting change for the franchise
  • Razz 6 Dec 2017 21:04:27 63,325 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You guys should listen this old webcast of QT talking about what he'd do with trek if he ever got to direct a film.

• Jyzzy-Z 6 Dec 2017 23:59:53 2,366 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah he's a big fan of Yesterday's Enterprise from TNG. Which is a fantastic episode but I'm not sure a timeline fuck up film would be a good idea considering the new films are based on that premise already. Would be confusing.

I really hope it ends up happening. Favourite franchise and favourite director. It could be a big bag of dogshit but give him a go.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2017 00:02:56 4,882 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Trapped in the Holodeck but it's a 1970s Blaxploitation programme instead of private detectives or whatever
  • nickthegun 7 Dec 2017 09:03:47 72,030 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or some fruity french cafe
  • reviewer 7 Dec 2017 10:17:05 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's certain directors I can't imagine getting involved in this sort of franchise, he's one of them.

Although Disney wanted fincher for one of the star wars films so anything can happen.
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2017 10:36:39 6,467 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why can't we have the Woody Allen Trek that everyone wants?
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:17:46 11,299 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just read the Wikipedia entry on Kes...

After three seasons Paramount executives decided to remove Kes as a regular cast member to make room in the budget for a new character in season 4 (Seven of Nine).[13] The decision to do so was, according to executive producers Rick Berman and Jeri Taylor, simply because the character was not working successfully.[14] Executives had reportedly planned on removing Harry Kim, as the actor who played this character (Garrett Wang) was often late for rehearsals, until People featured him as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.
    Er?
  • bad09 7 Dec 2017 19:30:36 8,050 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked Harry Kim, he was supposed to be annoying. Clean cut Federation boffin thrown into off the songsheet chaos. He had some interesting episodes and I liked the Paris and Kim double act.

Regarding Kes, I do think it was the right call. Seven was deeply more interesting than Kes....and....well....she claims it was all her in that jump suit....

She's no Terry Farrell though...

/ swoon
  • Page

of 156 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.