• StarchildHypocrethes 14 Nov 2017 19:29:55 30,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Caught up on the last 3 episodes now.

Pretty good this, innit?
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2017 20:37:51 1,298 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I like it, they seem to try too hard with the swearing/sex/blood sometimes but they've done really well to make something different enough from the last 800ish episodes before.
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Nov 2017 20:47:00 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I've really enjoyed the first half of the season. Feels recognisable as Trek but different enough that what went before. It's still finding its feet a little, but compared to the first seasons of the other shows it's a hell of a lot better!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Nov 2017 20:55:33 4,886 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is the stuff in January another batch of episodeS? I was sure it was just one more because they'd commissioned 10.

I'd gladly have plenty more if they're making them. Need more of that bridge crew involved. They look like they were designed as real characters with actual personalities then all their lines got cut.
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Nov 2017 22:07:39 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's 6 episodes left.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Nov 2017 23:47:39 11,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    It's still finding its feet a little, but compared to the first seasons of the other shows it's a hell of a lot better!
    I disagree. At the risk of repeating myself, imo it's so far the weakest start of any Trek series (not counting Animated Series which I haven't watched)

Edited by DrStrangelove at 23:48:23 14-11-2017
  • sirtacos 15 Nov 2017 14:43:15 8,014 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    It's still finding its feet a little, but compared to the first seasons of the other shows it's a hell of a lot better!
    I disagree. At the risk of repeating myself, imo it's so far the weakest start of any Trek series (not counting Animated Series which I haven't watched)
    I'm tempted to agree - it's watchable and entertaining, and it's never as bad as TNG or Voyager's worst clunkers, but

1) the dialogue is absolutely terrible
    2) shaky cam & lens flare can fuck off
    3) did I mention the awful dialogue
    4) many (but not all) characters are weird and flat, with performances to match, partly thanks to the aforementioned dialogue
    5) its breathless pace leaves the characters & themes no room to breathe - feels a bit ADHD tbh

1, 2, 3 and 4 were issues for previous iterations too, but they had a charm and a willingness to explore certain ideas that the new series lacks. Consider The Orville - it's wonky as fuck, but it has soul, and every week I find myself excited for a new episode. Discovery, on the other hand, is mostly passable, but a lot of the time it feels like a generic, vaguely BSG-esque space action drama.

Which is fine, but in season 2, I hope to see some development in a different direction. I'd trade budget-heavy pewpew space lasers for TNG's "Measure of a Man" any day.

Edit: I enjoyed Discovery. I just hope it finds its feet in season 2 - esp. in terms of writing - and learns to chill out a little.

Edit: on second thought, I don't mind if Discovery keeps doing its own thing and I do appreciate its different approach. I have to accept that it's not TNG 2.0, nor will it ever be. That being said, I do hope the writing improves.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:43:31 15-11-2017
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2017 14:51:52 72,033 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its (so far) arguably the best first series of any of them bar possibly Tos.

Edited by nickthegun at 14:52:07 15-11-2017
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Nov 2017 14:58:46 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, are people forgetting the absolute shite that was the first nine episodes of TNG? Tasha getting kidnapped by an African tribe, terrible introduction of the Ferengi and Wesley falling through a pane of glass and being sentenced to death.

Honestly try rewatching all that nonsense and tell me Discovery is worse.
  • the_dudefather 15 Nov 2017 15:08:43 10,493 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Wesley falling through a pane of glass and being sentenced to death.
    Sounds like a pretty good episode
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Nov 2017 15:14:01 30,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The first series or two of DS9 were pretty budget too, and I love that show.

Voyager has no redeeming features.

Enterprise started off with that song.

So far this isn't doing too badly.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 15:14:17 15-11-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Nov 2017 15:16:03 4,886 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This definitely seems to have a far better sense of what it's supposed to be than most of the other Trek first seasons
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Nov 2017 15:17:09 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Wesley falling through a pane of glass and being sentenced to death.
    Sounds like a pretty good episode
    Fair point :D
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2017 15:17:45 72,033 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Enterprise did well to pull it back eventually because the phrase 'temporal cold war' made my eyes roll all the way out of my head.
  • Razz 15 Nov 2017 15:26:07 63,325 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Whilst I agree, there are two pretty buxom features I can can think off.
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Nov 2017 15:29:57 2,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I only watched 4 episodes but I thought it had absolutely no idea what it wanted to be. It's troubled production shone through.

Pilot set in a different ship, discovery doesn't even show up. Then it's set on Discovery. Now I hear it's sliders the next generation.

What is this show? I stopped watching because I didn't see what it was trying to do. Is it a Klingon war show? Why is it saying, trying to say?

It's a dog's dinner from what I watched. They really missed an open goal by ditching Fuller and his anthology idea.
  • bad09 15 Nov 2017 15:32:19 8,054 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It had a few OK episodes but saying it's the best start of a trek is a reach. Even Enterprise had a better first season IMO....but then it is hard to compare like that as old Trek was different and the crew of Discovery are a self contained story so it's all fast pace and they will be gone forever after those 6 episodes in January as they move to a new setting....assuming the anthology approach is still planned, are the further seasons confirmed yet? I Hope so, not connected with this crew or the butt ugly midiclorian fueled TARDIS spaceship (seriously, it's horrid even the atrociously ugly Enterprise from Trek JJverse looks better!).

Speaking of Enterprise's first season, I've said it in the past but this popular notion it didn't get good until the Xindi stuff really is absolute bobbins, some great episodes in the first 2 seasons. To be honest I'm coming to the end of season 3 and getting fed up with the Xindi story arc, it really did drag on didn't it. not dominion war arc drag but coming to the end of season 3 I am thinking thank god. Looking forward to season 4, I remember some good Peter Weller episodes in that last season, such a shame it didn't last. Then on to TOS! Well up for that, watched Wrath of Khan last night so well up for a rewatch of Shatner's amazing acting "KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!"
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2017 15:35:26 72,033 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Whilst I agree, there are two pretty buxom features I can can think off.
    As gross as that is, they didn't appear until season four
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Nov 2017 15:37:50 32,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I only watched 4 episodes but I thought it had absolutely no idea what it wanted to be. It's troubled production shone through.

Pilot set in a different ship, discovery doesn't even show up. Then it's set on Discovery. Now I hear it's sliders the next generation.

What is this show? I stopped watching because I didn't see what it was trying to do. Is it a Klingon war show? Why is it saying, trying to say?

It's a dog's dinner from what I watched. They really missed an open goal by ditching Fuller and his anthology idea.
    Well to be fair to the show, the pilot episodes were written by Fuller and his general season story was all about the Klingon war.

I think it's pretty clear what it wants to be. It's a prototype scientific ship that's been used by the military during a time of war. It's the clash of science versus the military. Much like DS9 was during the Dominion War, it's got an overarching war story with some episodes heavily about the war and others about more character stuff.

And the anthology idea will never happen. I can only imagine the budget it would cost to do a new show every season, never mind having to create entirely new ships, crews, stories, etc. I like these characters and I'm happy to see where they take them.

And finally of course, rather than slagging off something you barely watched, why not give the last five episodes a try.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 15 Nov 2017 15:38:09 31,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    As gross as that is, they didn't appear until season four
    Or Razz loves Janeway, Engineer McRipplehead or possibly Kes.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:39:07 15-11-2017
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2017 15:45:05 72,033 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They lost Kes when they gave her this haircut:

Edited by nickthegun at 15:45:57 15-11-2017
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Nov 2017 15:48:25 2,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz I didn't like any of the characters either, so there's not much point me wasting 5 hours of my life. I'd rather watch something else.
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Nov 2017 15:49:56 2,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @nickthegun I was reading the actress that played her is a hillbilly who gets arrested now.
  • bad09 15 Nov 2017 15:51:57 8,054 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd go for some rough Klingon sex with Torres.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Nov 2017 15:53:52 4,886 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Voyager did have the most electrifying space gladiator in aaaall the Delta Quadrant
  • bad09 15 Nov 2017 15:55:04 8,054 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

She was exposing herself to kids wasn't she?
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Nov 2017 15:57:23 2,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Something like that yeah. I think she has had one too many mind melds on the crack pipe.
  • bad09 15 Nov 2017 16:13:22 8,054 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z

If you only live 9 years you might as well get shitfaced :)
  • drhickman1983 15 Nov 2017 19:52:29 5,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anybody else "notice" (ie: read about it elsewhere after watching the episode) that Lorca overrode one of the jumps.

The theory that he's from the mirror universe is sounding more plausible.

I'm genuinely enjoying this more than Voyager or Enterprise.

Between this and my love for the previously divisive DS9 (which was divisive, for much the same reasons as Discovery) I'm not even sure I like some of the things that Trek is supposed to represent that much...

Edited by drhickman1983 at 19:52:47 15-11-2017
  • Vice.Destroyer 15 Nov 2017 22:38:33 7,114 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can see that the new Star Trek has divided EG. Again. :)
    Put me down as an avid fan of it. I like it so much that I am prepared to overlook its foibles. But I could have done without seeing Klingon tits.
  • Page

of 156 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.