Star Trek Page 137

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• gammonbanter 10 Oct 2017 22:49:50 1,632 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm just really enjoying having trek back on TV.

All this complaining is just weird - remember all those episodes of TNG and DS9 with Quark's Mum and Troy's Mum or ones where O'Brien was talking with his wife or any other of those terrible episodes.
    TNG was only good for 3.5 seasons (S3 to S6) and DS9 relied heavily on action (as well as 3 or 4 great characters).
    What I'm trying to say is that Discovery is probably way ahead of where TNG and DS9 were after 4 episodes!
  • DrStrangelove 10 Oct 2017 23:00:46 11,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, previous Trek had woeful episodes. But as far as I'm concerned, in any of the previous Trek shows, there were at least a few small interesting things going on within the first 4 episodes. No such thing in Discovery if you ask me.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Oct 2017 23:03:41 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DS9 starts a lot stronger than I remembered, but I'll give you TNG.

One big difference between those shows and Discovery is they were all about their characters. Until the Dominion War really kicks off, both of them are about their crews and how they react to the situations they find themselves in. Discovery is plot first. Or that's how it feels to me. Not better or worse just different and different from the traditional Trek formula.
  • Razz 10 Oct 2017 23:06:15 63,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anybody reckon Lorca and/or tilly will die this season?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Oct 2017 23:07:16 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I used to hate Troi's mum but having seen her whole arc from flirty annoyance through to the revelation of her lost child she's actually incredibly sympathetic and one of the deepest characters in terms of character development.

In individual episodes she could seem paperthin and irritating but in the context of her complete arc its clear that she drinks and flirts and drifts because she's still grieving and always will. She's running from an emptiness inside her.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Oct 2017 23:10:02 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    My prediction is a two part finale in which Lorca has some morality stretching plan to end the war blow up in his face. Michael mutinies again but this time succeeds, taking control of the ship and saving the day. Lorca is killed or fatally wounded in the confrontation. Series ends with Michael as captain or acting captain boldy going
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Oct 2017 23:14:56 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My other theory is that Michael's room mate is related to Crusher and we've got an episode about shagging a space ghost who lives in a magic candle to come
  • Razz 10 Oct 2017 23:16:21 63,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Interesting, maybe a temporary Captain, but they could go in the Dr Who route and have a different actor every season.

I have a theory that Ripper, the tardigrade, was responsible for the USS Glenn's demise. We know it will kill to defend itself, what if it was so mistreated on the Glenn that it decided to kill them all? I hope the same doesn't happen on Discovery, I'm hoping Michael will be the difference.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Oct 2017 23:22:46 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mushroom warp obviously hurts it so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets loose on the ship the way it did on the Glenn. Maybe Lorca or someone pushes the jump ability too hard and it freaks out.

Michael was pulling a sad face at it so there's definitely more to come from the Pinky.

I could also imagine the final battle seeing the white Klingon leading a boarding party and getting eaten by it.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Oct 2017 23:22:55 1,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Hope not, they're the best characters.
  • Subquest 10 Oct 2017 23:54:57 373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It is different to previous series in so many ways, but I'm finding it compelling in its own right. The light heartedness is fleeting, a quip here, a faux pas there, set against the unremitting bleakness of war, losses, casualties and so on. It's like they made an series out of the alternate reality presented in TNG ep Yesterday's Enterprise, where Picard et al are in a desperate years long war with the Klingons. It's good though, with strong storytelling, good dialogue and some decent characters.

I hope the show survives long enough to allow for some more traditional trek stories, and maybe turns the heat down occasionally. But even if it doesn't and carries on doing its own thing, it's enough to keep me more than interested.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Oct 2017 00:04:36 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For all that the TOS movies onwards Trek becomes a very hard sci-fi universe, this one feels harder still. Could a God-like being or magical sentient space cloud (and its magical sentient space cloud parents) exist in the Discovery series?
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Oct 2017 08:11:20 4,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really not sure about Discovery. I initially really enjoyed it. The first two episodes were great. But the subsequent episodes are pretty badly written and dull. There aren't enough characters and the ones that are there are miserable badly written arseholes. The grim dark thing is a laid on a bit thick.

I have watched all the Trek shows apart from Enterprise but i wouldn't class myself as a fan. I don't really care gow true to Trek it is. I only care if it's good or not and so far I'm not sure that it is.

I'll stick with it though. I don't hate it. I just think this show is a bit meh right now. I want to give it a chance to develop and see where it goes. I do think that my original thought that a fully long form Trek show would be a problem. How do you go out and explore and discover when you're beholden to some huge story arc?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Oct 2017 08:32:11 6,552 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe they will go full Monsters Inc and discover that laughter is better than pain and we can have a jolly giant tardigrade in a party hat zipping them across the universe.
  • DrStrangelove 11 Oct 2017 12:11:03 11,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or a visit from Lwaxana Troi
  • ControlledChaos 11 Oct 2017 12:51:34 359 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really pleased that security officer died, felt fitting, usually in Trek if people do something morally dubious or just plain stupid, they'd usually be punished for it, where as them being "good" doesn't alway mean "good" karma would come their way, for me it seemed like the goodies were getting all the bad luck, this helped rebalanced things abit imo.
  • Cosmical 11 Oct 2017 12:55:50 108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    So, wait, the ship travels via a deadly photophobic space pig high on space maushrooms?

Is this real?
  • YenRug 11 Oct 2017 13:46:45 4,480 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    So, wait, the ship travels via a deadly photophobic space pig high on space maushrooms?

Is this real?
    "The Spice must flow!"
  • dankcushions 11 Oct 2017 13:58:25 319 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    For all that the TOS movies onwards Trek becomes a very hard sci-fi universe, this one feels harder still. Could a God-like being or magical sentient space cloud (and its magical sentient space cloud parents) exist in the Discovery series?
    i think the spores + tardigrade on the ones and twos = instant space travel, is about as nonsense as star trek science has ever been. space magic was normally confined to single episodes rather than to be so part of everything. i dunno. i feel like they needed to world-build that tech a bit better than "galaxy is made of mushrooms btw"
  • Rivuzu 11 Oct 2017 14:35:23 16,510 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't like the use of the spore drive in combat mind you. We have torpedos, phasers, other shit... nope, lets just disappear and go lolbombs.
  • Cosmical 11 Oct 2017 14:40:01 108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    If those two have angry Klingon sex I will stop watching.
  • Rivuzu 11 Oct 2017 14:40:50 16,510 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What about happy Klingon sex? Or dispassionate Klingon sex?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Oct 2017 14:49:46 6,552 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would not instantaneous mushroom travel plus self destruct = win?
  • ControlledChaos 11 Oct 2017 14:58:50 359 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's abit like Titanic this I think, we know that Discovery will fail, the question is how.
  • M83J01P97 11 Oct 2017 15:00:46 7,525 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are they still planning to do this Star Trek reboot as an anthology? And have different settings, characters and so on each year?
  • Cosmical 11 Oct 2017 15:32:38 108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    What about happy Klingon sex? Or dispassionate Klingon sex?
    How about we don't reboot everything to be all edgy and grimdark like everything else on tv today.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Oct 2017 16:02:41 31,996 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Somehow I don't think it's a reboot to have Klingon sex be angry.
  • Rivuzu 11 Oct 2017 17:55:23 16,510 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I honestly wouldn't call Discovery edgy. Still seems pretty tame.
  • DasBooter 11 Oct 2017 20:46:22 329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I quite enjoyed that

The good:
    Great production values
    It has potential
    Crew becoming more likeable
    I'm rooting for the torchbearer..

The bad:
    That fucking dumb security officer. Nobody is that stupid.
    Cheesy miner rescue scene, that 'subplot' felt lightweight.

The ugly:
    Magic mushroom monster warp. Wtf..

EDIT

Is it just me or does pacing/tone kind of jump about a bit? Dunno.. just felt like it changes gear a bit suddenly. Or maybe the episodes are just too short.

Edited by DasBooter at 21:52:46 11-10-2017
  • DasBooter 11 Oct 2017 21:20:32 329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    If those two have angry Klingon sex I will stop watching.
    You talking about Discovery's doctor and engineer..?
  • Page

of 144 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.